Not just famous; infamous

Kenosha Pass September 11th

The winner (by one vote) is September 11th, the second Sunday of the month. So, pack your cameras and your canned o2. I'm thinking we'll meet across from the conoco at Morrison and C-470 around 9am (?), see about carpooling, then head up. It's definitely alpine riding (9800-11,800ft) so bring plenty of hydration, some food, a jacket and whatever else you'll need to be comfy. Right now the weather report says sunny and 69 degrees, but the weather can change really fast this time of year, so be prepared. Be sure to post if you're coming along, so we don't leave anybody behind.

For those who haven't been there, the directions I have are:
    From C470, go west on 285 for 49.5 miles. There's parking on either side of 285.

Check out this link for the vitals...
    http://www.trailcentral.com/tom/index.php?key=27

There's also a sign-up sheet on FRMB, I don't think you have to be a member to sign up. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ortRows&tbl=20
    Last edited by coolhandluchs; 08-29-2005 at 09:29 AM.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I'm in.
    Now with more vitriol!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I'm in if my shoulder is healed up remotely well enough for me to be on this ride.

I've been riding the trainer a ton lately, hoping that if/when I ever do get healed up I'll be ready to do a big ride like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I'm in if my shoulder is healed up remotely well enough for me to be on this ride.
    I've been riding the trainer a ton lately, hoping that if/when I ever do get healed up I'll be ready to do a big ride like this.
    Between you and Sandan, we may have a complete rider. His shoulder's buggin' him too, I guess. If you do decide to make a frankenrider, I get the leftover lungs. I should probably take the legs too.

It's not too rough of a ride, but I don't know how good your shoulder is. With the number of people coming, we should naturally split up into 2-3 groups. Last year we had some people who didn't finish the ride. They went as far as they felt able, turned around and waited for the rest of us to come back...while drinking our beer.

I'm doing some, uh, low rise intervals (not really any hills) out at Cherry Creek SP all week (5:30am anyone?), but I don't think it'll help my atrophic lungs, especially at 10,000ft. If you're outta shape, the biggest challenge on this ride is not running over your own tongue.

jeny jo

yeeeehawwwww

I'm IN!!! Weeeee, this is gonna be fun!

mtbr member

kenosha to georgia

My friend mike and I are planning on doing this ride but cant make it that weekend. I have a 5k road running race sunday. But what is the mileage and about how long does it take.?

Thanks

ps - have fun
    How do you afford your rock n roll bike style...

Semper Ardens
    Quote Originally Posted by fnkyfly
    My friend mike and I are planning on doing this ride but cant make it that weekend. I have a 5k road running race sunday. But what is the mileage and about how long does it take.?
    I did Kenosha to Georgia a month ago. Its about 12 miles from the Kenosha parking lot to the top of the saddle area at Georgia and entails about 3000 ft of climbing. We were surprised to find out how much we actually had been climbing on the way out. Coming back was a blast!

With stops and everything it took us about 3 hours to ride out, and less than 2 hours to come back, again, including snack stops and everything.
    When you come to a rock, ride over it!

mtbr member

Georgia to Kenosha

Ill blame it mike. We'll say he doesnt like to climb. What if someone dropped us off at the top of Georgia and we rode down to Kenosha. Would that be pretty fun?
    How do you afford your rock n roll bike style...

Quote Originally Posted by fnkyfly
    What if someone dropped us off at the top of Georgia and we rode down to Kenosha. Would that be pretty fun?
    Only if you have a helicoptor
    AFAIK there are no roads close to Georgia Pass...at least not where the CO trail is.

It's not a bad ride, definitely worth the effort, but you'll be dog tired if you're not in good shape. If you are in decent shape, you can ride it on a rigid SS. Sounds like there's a bunch of people going, so you'll be able to find a group to hang out with. I definitely will not be in the lead group after the first 100yds or so.

Your bike sucks
    "Only if you have a helicoptor
    AFAIK there are no roads close to Georgia Pass...at least not where the CO trail is. "

I'm pretty sure there is a 4x4ish dirt road that will take you near to the top.

<a href='http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cosports.com%2Fc gi-bin%2Freport.cgi%3F42'>Some info</a>
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 09-04-2005 at 09:15 AM. Reason: thought I'd look up a link

how heavy are you ??

i was the dead last rider off the trail last year...

And now that i am a Denver resident this wont be an epic commute count me to be dead last this year!

Scott

slow

Road to the top

I think I remember struggling up the Breck side of Georgia Pass for a couple of hours on a jeep road a few years back, only to find an RV, a Cadillac with a couple of elderly folks, and two vans full of mtn bikers at the top. At least we worked for it. Didn't wait around and investigate because we wanted to hit the trail back to Breck before that group got on the CT. According to my map, forest road 400 goes right to the top. That must have been the road all of those people took to get there.

The last time we did this from the Kenosha side, we climbed the CT, but then came down another trail to the north and east. I think it was Jefferson Creek or something like that. Fun, twisty ride with lots of tree roots.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Just say "NO" to shuttlemonkeydom.

I love a good DH as much as the next guy, but some things should be earned.
    Now with more vitriol!

Cool-blue Rhythm Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Preach it, brutha! This is one of those rides that's well worth the effort. It can be hard, but it's a great feeling when you reach that pass!

slow

I totally agree. This one isn't even as difficult as others around. RIDE UP!

Tribe Member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! what time are we leaving?

I read over at the frmb board that we are to leave at 9am from the conoco in Morrison.

Is that still the time or was anyone thinking about bumping this up by maybe 30-45 minutes.....figure you get there and people will want to chit chat and we still have a 60-75 minute drive in front of us....

Please post back with suggestions or a locked in stone departure

Thanks

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Time Changes?

Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    I read over at the frmb board that we are to leave at 9am from the conoco in Morrison.
    Is that still the time or was anyone thinking about bumping this up by maybe 30-45 minutes.....figure you get there and people will want to chit chat and we still have a 60-75 minute drive in front of us....Rich
    I picked 9am as an arbitrary time, I'd love to leave earlier, but not everybody can stay away from the bars on Saturday nite. Apparently there's 4-5 events happening up in the Fairplay vicinity that weekend, so the earlier we get to the pass, the better the parking could be. You're completely right that we'll spend at least 15 minutes at the Conoco (assuming everybody's on time ), then drive at least an hour, then spend 15-20 minutes suiting up. That puts rubber to trail at 10:30 or later.

I'm up be 7am every morning anyway, (infants are God's alarm clocks) so I could easily be at the Conoco by 8am. If anybody has any problems (other than not sleeping in or being hungover ) with earlier, please speak up. I think I'll move the time up tomorrow if nobody objects.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    JeffCO MTB group is planning to ride Monarch on Saturday Sept 10th. Anybody for back to back Colorado Epic rides that weekend?

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    I picked 9am as an arbitrary time, I'd love to leave earlier, but not everybody can stay away from the bars on Saturday nite. Apparently there's 4-5 events happening up in the Fairplay vicinity that weekend, so the earlier we get to the pass, the better the parking could be. You're completely right that we'll spend at least 15 minutes at the Conoco (assuming everybody's on time ), then drive at least an hour, then spend 15-20 minutes suiting up. That puts rubber to trail at 10:30 or later.

I'm up be 7am every morning anyway, (infants are God's alarm clocks) so I could easily be at the Conoco by 8am. If anybody has any problems (other than not sleeping in or being hungover ) with earlier, please speak up. I think I'll move the time up tomorrow if nobody objects.

I know of at least one other (beside myself) who would be stoked if we could bump it up to 8am or so.
    Now with more vitriol!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub

Not gonna be able to make it. Shoulder is progressing VERY slowly, and I haven't even been able to do anything but the trainer thus far.

Sigh.....Maybe next year.

Now Uploading
    I know of at least one other (beside myself) who would be stoked if we could bump it up to 8am or so.
    Yeah, planning to be there with at least a couple of others, but we have to start earlier.

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Meeting time's changed to 8am

I just read the forecast for the area, and there's a 38% chance of T-storms in the afternoon, so the earlier we start the better.

So, meet across from the Morrison Conoco at 8am Sunday morning.

Sorry for the trouble, but the earlier we hit the trail, the fewer problems we'll have.

Oh yeah...I'll be driving a green GMC Envoy. I only have room for one other bike and person though (I really need to buy a hitch rack), so I wouldn't mind 'pooling. Guess we'll figure it out Sunday morning.
    Last edited by coolhandluchs; 09-06-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I just read the forecast for the area, and there's a 38% chance of T-storms in the afternoon, so the earlier we start the better.

So, meet across from the Morrison Conoco at 8am Sunday morning.

Sorry for the trouble, but the earlier we hit the trail, the fewer problems we'll have.

Awesome, I'll pass it along.

Dave - we'll keep an eye out for you guys somewhere along the trail.
    Now with more vitriol!

Now Uploading
    Awesome, I'll pass it along.

Dave - we'll keep an eye out for you guys somewhere along the trail.
    Yeah, we'll just be laying there along the trail somewhere. Seriously, I know it's early, but I doubt we could start that late. Have to check with the others. I wouldn't mind being on the trail by 8:00-9:00am. It rains up there almost every afternoon. So yeah, we'll probably see you guys there somewhere.

Cheers,

Dave

Perpetually single track
    The winner (by one vote) is September 11th, the second Sunday of the month.
    Slight chance I'll see you guys on the trail as well. My group thinks we'll be shuttling it though...all the way to freaking Breck...we'll see.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Slight chance I'll see you guys on the trail as well. My group thinks we'll be shuttling it though...all the way to freaking Breck...we'll see.
    I did that and for some reason my body decided to make war with the altitude. It's great to do it that way though, so much good trail.

My experience with Georgia Pass this year: One hard Jeep road climb on the bike from the Breck side, one hard Jeep road climb in the Jeep from the Breck side, and one hard climb from the Kenosha side on the bike. I'm starting to think a chopper may be in order next time.

I wouldn't try it in a vehicle without 4wd low, from the Breck side. The south park side is certifiably rv friendly, as mentioned above. Here's what happens when Jeep hits Jeep road hard: No, I'm not a great driver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Tribe Member
    8am is great for me. I will be me and a couple of other guys...one from Michigan, so we have to be kind to him...see you on Sunday

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

im thinking in need to do something like this....

need a little more info please:

-i looked up kenosha pass on my delorme, is it between jefferson and grant on 285?
    -how terrible is the climbing, i just hiked some of the conti divide trail last weekend from about 11700 to 12000 feet above winter park, and it was a @%$^#%^. this was the first time i really hiked at that elevation.
    -im in teh springs, can i meet you somewhere on 285 instead of denver (im assuming your meeting at some conoco near denver?)?
    -how much gear do you need to wear? i typically wear all the gear. do i need it all?
    -how cold will it be, i dont have any real winter apparal. last weekend on the CD above winter park, it was windy, but bearable. albeit i wasnt slamming down the mtn at 25mph either!
    -and my shoulder was taken out about 2 weeks ago, stil hurts, but a neighborhood ride last night seems OK, how much hanging on will there be? any comparison to the FR trails here in the springs (ive done barr trail down, and some of the canyon stuff kristian leads from time to time)
    -other thoughts, input?

sorry for all the questions, yeah im high maintenance, but hey, someone has to be!!!

thanks

mike

XC ride

This is definitely anon-technical XC ride. There are a couple of small sections (mainly the bridges) that may warrant some walking, but most people can ride the whole thing without much problem. There's quite a bit of climbing, but it's not techy, so it's not so bad. Check out the pix below, they'll give you a pretty good idea of the trail. It's not really bumpy, but there are some rooty/rocky areas that may bother your shoulder if it's really sore.

The Conoco we're talking about is at the Morrison road exit from C-470. Basically you drive past the 285 exit (assuming you're driving north) to the next one, get off of 470, turn left and you're there. It's really the only convenient spot in the area.

As far as gear, it doesn't look like it'll be too cold, but as with any alpine ride, you need to be prepared. Regular shorts should be OK (you may want to pack leg warmers), but you definitely want to bring a shell and maybe a heavier shirt/jersey. I think the temp's gonna be around 63 (high) so it should be really comfy for riding. We'll be in the trees for most of the ride, so wind isn't much of a concern. Bring lots of beverage and some food (it's about a 5 hr ride, so you'll definitely want some Clif bars or something) and a small camera.

Hope those answers help.
    Here's a link with more pix...
    http://www.anthonysloan.com/kenosha.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now Uploading
    8am is great for me. I will be me and a couple of other guys...one from Michigan, so we have to be kind to him...see you on Sunday

Rich
    Rich, did you talk to those guys? I'm thinking more like riding at 8:00, not leaving at 8:00. 9:30 and on is too late on the trailhead. Recomputing... Let's check with those two. We were talking of carpooling too.

Cheers,

Dave

Tribe Member
    Dave,
    Let me talk to Ed and his buddy from Michigan. His buddy's bike is MIA with Fed Ex right now. Will call them this AM and send you back an PM with details...I have no problem with getting up there and being on the bike around 8.30ish.....I have stuff to do down in town in the PM

Rich

Now Uploading
    Dave,
    Let me talk to Ed and his buddy from Michigan. His buddy's bike is MIA with Fed Ex right now. Will call them this AM and send you back an PM with details...I have no problem with getting up there and being on the bike around 8.30ish.....I have stuff to do down in town in the PM

Rich
    Yeah, Dale got in yesterday, his bike was supposed to be at Ed's Tuesday. Bummer. We'll figure it out. I did want to hit the trail early, but wasn't going to rush the ride. If it looks like we can't coordinate that day, we can always drive two vehicles, but I'd like to split some gas. And looks like we have a fifth one coming with our group. I have racks for five bikes.

Later,

Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thnaks for the info tony....

nice pics on the link too...

im not sure if ill make it or not. i dont own any cold weather gear adn trying to buy some on short notice is hard for me. takes me a year just to find normal shoes for myself!!

but hte pics are great an i wanna go, but then i remember that my longest rides are usually 8-10 miles at about 60-70 minutes!! they are hard techy rides but hard none the less.

my bike is 32 lbs and im in OK shape. the climbs look pretty gradual

is there a trail head i could meet you all at? i was thinking of driveing up sat night and sleeping in the woods then just meet you at the TH

mike

Quote Originally Posted by wildman
    nice pics on the link too...
    is there a trail head i could meet you all at? i was thinking of driveing up sat night and sleeping in the woods then just meet you at the TH
    mike
    The weather shouldn't be too bad, but it's good to be prepared JIC.
    http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast...day=4&metric=0
    Typically all you need is some sort of waterproof shell and you'll be fine. I'll usually throw a flannel shirt in my pack JIC I need something warmer. Yes, I still wear flannel. Looks great with a helmet.

You can meet us (or Dave, Rich and the others up there if you want. The trailhead's easy to find. Go 50 miles west on 285 (from c470). Trail's on the right, parking's on both sides. That's pretty much it. There are campgrounds in the area, but I don't know if you need reservations or not. If you're just sleeping in the car, you may be able to just stay in the parking lot.

You should definitely try to make it out. It's a fantastic ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

OK, if i come, ill meet you at the TH....

if you are leaving conoco @ 8am, youll be at the TH at.....? 9?

lemme know, ill probalby go night befqor and slep in trujka (sorry, cat walked across the keyboard)

mike

We should be up there around (hopefully before) 9:15. Takes about an hour to get there. I'd like to be on the trail by 9:30. We'll see, if somebody runs behind or traffic is slow, we could run behind a bit.

Sounds like Mtbdirteater and company will be starting out around 8:30 or so. You could either hop onto their ride (I think those guys ride pretty fast, faster than me anyway) or wait for us to show up. Either way you'll have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by wildman
    if you are leaving conoco @ 8am, youll be at the TH at.....? 9?
    mike
    Oh yes...for those so inclined, I definitely recommend bringing a frosty beverage for the end of the ride. Gotta replenish those glycogen stores with some carbs
    Last edited by coolhandluchs; 09-09-2005 at 07:08 AM.

user-created
    <--------- Grumbles about working weekends

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

still thinking bout it....

but if im there, youll see me by 9 at the TH. otherwise leave w/out me

i borrowed a shell from someone, but im still trying to bring myself to do 25 miles. not my usual distance!!

probaly wont go with the first FAST group. im a dog on climbing. DH, lookout!

mikey

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

OK, im chickening out....

thanks for the info coolhand, im just not thinking i can do 25miles at this point in my mtb career. maybe next time.

yall have fun!