Results 1 to 71 of 71
  1. #1
    To "Air" Is Human
    Reputation: The Agency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    744

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! This just happened outside my shop...

    Slow down people!




    Than while looking at that we hear...HONK! HONK! HONK!

    We turn around in time to see these two miss each other by inches.



    Come on people...I know you excited to see the new Volume Cutter Fixie, but this is out of hand. Seriously, drive safe today.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbjc280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    498
    The 4 wheel drive on those SUV's seem to be serving them well.
    Tryin' to keep the tires on the ground.

  3. #3
    Bad Andy
    Reputation: andychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    Isn't it "funny" how more often than not, it seems to be the 4 wheel drives?!?!?
    Some seem to think they CAN'T crash the things.
    Do they not realize it's great to be able to GO, but you need to be able to STOP and turn too? It's ice, people!
    Sheesh.
    Sorry - had to drive from Mineral and Santa Fe to Federal and I70 a few minutes ago, and it wasn't pretty.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,290
    I just put on my studded snow tires on my Element and the same on my Toyota Tacoma. I can start and stop like I'm on dry pavement. It's that Camaro in front of me at the light with bald tires that's usually the problem.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  5. #5
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maŮana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,258
    That sucks.
    Reminds me of this clip:

    <object width='480' height='400'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/43888' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/43888' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='534' allowFullScreen='true' /></object>

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  6. #6
    Slopestyle Rider
    Reputation: joelalamo45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,448
    Maybe I won't make it over to see you today Lance...

  7. #7
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Rode in today and rather than having issues with slippery trails, I had to watch for the cars sliding all over. One example was when I was about to cross an intersection, a car slid right in front of me into the intersection when they couldn't stop. Like the OP says, people were driving way too fast.

    It seems the first real snow is the worst. People forgot how it was to drive in the snow over the summer, and the people who need new tires finally realize why.

    Another classic winter vid

    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WO20ZaijyY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WO20ZaijyY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Last edited by lidarman; 12-04-2008 at 02:44 PM.

  8. #8
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by The Agency
    Slow down people!

    Was the driver ok?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bike21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    430
    Yep, never ceases to amaze me how many folks can't seem to drive on snow. I know accidents can happen to anyone, but a little common sense goes a loooong way!

    Just had some schmuck almost side swipe me when trying to turn left off of a two lane street. The thing is, I was in the right lane passing by them! They slammed on their brakes and started sliding to the right into my lane. Genius!

  10. #10
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    ...the people who need new tires finally realize why.
    Between that and the invincibility factor that people feel behind larger, "but it has four wheel drive" vehicles, first snows are always entertaining in Colorado. I had the opposite experience at lunch with people going super slow (good-ish), but not paying attention to a damn thing (bad). As guilty as I am of cell use while driving, it needs to be punishable by stoning when people do it in weather like this... who clearly aren't confident or understanding of winter driving strategies... who don't spend money on good tires... and who pick the biggest vehicle in the lot for a winter driver. Jeesh, it's like I've lived here my whole life and see the same events repeat themselves every year or something.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  11. #11
    Slopestyle Rider
    Reputation: joelalamo45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,448
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dooKpdIwwR4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dooKpdIwwR4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SinglePowderTrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    102
    Sounds like it's getting pretty bad out.

    Those videos are hilarious. Especially when the driver bails out of the car!
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

  13. #13
    To "Air" Is Human
    Reputation: The Agency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Maybe I won't make it over to see you today Lance...
    Understandable! I have a bunch of passes to WP now...see you up there.

    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Was the driver ok?
    I believe so. The State Patrol was there pretty quick. The driver was sitting in a van filling out paperwork.

  14. #14
    what nice teeth you have
    Reputation: nadinno78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    712
    $40 set of cables OR $2000 in vehicle damage. hmmm??

  15. #15
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Yeah, slow down, or get snow tires. And then b$%^h about everyone else driving too slow...
    There needs to be a remedial physics class given when renewing driver's licenses, so people will remember that the heavier the vehicle is, the worse it is in the snow.
    Last edited by dbabuser; 12-04-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  16. #16
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    Coming from nederland, people are always amazed when I'm the first one to work on these kind of days. Generally it takes me 10 minutes longer to get to boulder on snow days whereas folks from denver are always 2-3 hours late.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Yeah, slow down, or get snow tires. And then b$%^h about everyone else driving too slow...
    There's needs to be a remedial physics class given when renewing driver's licenses, so people will remember that the heavier the vehicle is, the worse it is in the snow.
    Weight alone is not the determining factor in snow. A snow plow is pretty big and does just fine in the snow. Its all about pounds per square inch on the tires for traction. Skinny snow tires work better than big wide lugged tires, assuming its not bottomless snow on the road.

  18. #18
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by blinker
    Weight alone is not the determining factor in snow. A snow plow is pretty big and does just fine in the snow. Its all about pounds per square inch on the tires for traction. Skinny snow tires work better than big wide lugged tires, assuming its not bottomless snow on the road.
    You're neglecting the fact that more mass takes more friction to get moving, to turn and to stop. It's exactly the same reason why race cars (and bikes) are light. Being in snow/ ice only reduces the coefficient of friction, it does not change physics...
    As for snow plows, they start, stop and turn slowly, AND probly have something like 6 snow tires too, huh?
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Coming from nederland, people are always amazed when I'm the first one to work on these kind of days. Generally it takes me 10 minutes longer to get to boulder on snow days whereas folks from denver are always 2-3 hours late.
    Two reasons for that:

    You don't have to deal with the volume of traffic between Ned and Boulder. One car on a snowy road can do just fine. Every car you add slows things down exponentially, especially when at least half the cars are operated by bone heads.

    People who live in Ned, or the foothills in general, are typically more accustomed to driving on bad roads and have cars with tire suited for that exercise.

    Have fun driving tonight!
    What, me worry?

  20. #20
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    and I live on a school bus route so the roads are clear by 7am!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    You're neglecting the fact that more mass takes more friction to get moving, to turn and to stop. It's exactly the same reason why race cars (and bikes) are light. Being in snow/ ice only reduces the coefficient of friction, it does not change physics...
    As for snow plows, they start, stop and turn slowly, AND probly have something like 6 snow tires too, huh?
    Snow plows go at relatively high speed on the interstate. They have more psi exerted on pavement by their 6 snow tires that a compact car. More mass requires more friction to get moving, correct. However, more mass on a smaller footprint provides better traction. Its a give-and-take. All I'm saying is its not JUST weight that determines winter drivability, it has more to do with driver ability (or stupidity) than the weight of their vehicles. I have seen more stuck small cars than SUVs. The problem is neophyte SUV drivers think a 4x4 gives them super-powers.

    Have a safe trip.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,290
    I spoke to a lady on a pink Yeti up on Centennial Cone last summer (a Yeti Betty she said). A coupla houses down from her lived a guy who was in charge of the county plowing the roads in the area. Needless to say the plows got her streets nice and and clean first.

    I always, repeat ALWAYS have either brand new or newish STUDDED SNOW tires (not studded Mud and Snows) on both my 4wd vehicles every winter. It might cost me $400 for these tires every three years but it's like an insurance policy that allows me to get anywhere at anytime, if I'm the only one calling the shots. Of course, no one else on the road has dedicated snow tires much less studded snow tires, so they're all the big X factor as to whether I get to my destination or not. nooby gets to Boulder because he's the only one on the road.

    And, watching the videos of cars sliding sliding sliding, especially Lidarman's where peeps are skidding against the curb with their wheels pointed away from the curb...a few times in the past I've not had my signature studded snows on and slid and slid and slid. One time as I slid, just like in the videos, down a hill towards a busy intersection I managed to steer towards the curb, up and over the curb, then I steered down the hill so my rear tires dragged on the curb and I actually stopped. Not bragging here just sayin' that's a technique that might stop you in a similar situation.

    Of course, that scenario doesn't happen now because of my snow tires. Cheap insurance.
    I used to live up Left Hand Canyon (in a previous century) and nearly went off a switchback about 70 feet straight down. That got me thinkin' how to avoid that in the future.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  23. #23
    Tossin the salad.
    Reputation: TX_Shifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Another classic winter vid

    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WO20ZaijyY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WO20ZaijyY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

    I saw this one a while back. This is the California get together that happen couple years ago in Denver right?

  24. #24
    Green Hornet
    Reputation: Rugby Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    74

    plows get stuck on my street alll of the time

    And I just live on a normal road in a normal neighborhood. The small hill I live on also has a pretty good lean to it. The plows come up, cross the line between my front window and the light post and then slide in to the neighbors yard. It is funny to watch, you would think they woud learn? I and a couple of the neighbors are out heping to dig out the plow a couple of times a winter. We all figure that if we help they might comeback...

    -Chuck

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    149
    Studded snow tires.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    269
    I have more than a few close calls today due to the slick conditions. The funniest was as I was watching people near my house slide around a turn. Lots of fishtailing, etc. When I saw one guy in a little 4x4 pickup do a 360, I decided it was time to move my Jeep out of the road and into my apt parking lot.

    As I walk out to my car, here comes a guy in, of all things, a muscle car with big, fat, wide tires, fishtailing down the street. He headed for the curb behind my car, managed to get the car sliding in the other direction and miss hitting my Jeep by a few feet. As all this is happening, I'm yelling "Please god, don't let this jacka** hit my car! I threw my arms in the air and I was in shock at the near missed as he slid down the road past me.

    So what did this guy do? When he saw me with my arms up, he slammed on the brakes, and rolled down his window to yell some obsenities at me. Funny considering he was the one who came with mere feet of smashing into my car, while I was watching.

    I'm sure I'll wake up with slashed tires tomorrow for daring to yell at him for his poor snow driving skills.

    p.s. my tires suck, but I drive slow and I own cables just in case. Oh and 4 car following distance for the win!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: longman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    539
    I rode my bike to work today, A donated Scwhinn Peloton frameset, singlespeed with 23mm tires and a bob trailer, same as everyday, what's the big deal? ride your bike or get the bus then you don't have to pay for snow tires or repairs to whatever you crash into. Passed a couple of accidents on the way too, on a dead straight road, 4 lanes wide, what the hell?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    Ouch, It's crazy how the first snow does this. Were all the drivers alright?

  29. #29
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Tonights ride home made me realize the cool thing about retro rim brakes---They are like having anti-lock brakes. I felt like I had great traction. A longer stopping distance but never a lock-up and skid.

  30. #30
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by blinker
    I have seen more stuck small cars than SUVs.
    How many of those stuck small cars were awd? I'm guessing not many... And stopping and turning are still a matter of inertia, no matter how heavy the vehicle and narrow the tires. One more rhetorical question for ya: how come they don't switch out regular rally cars for snow plows when they race in the snow?

    I used to commute to school and work no matter what the conditions. I rode my bike to the bar (dntn Den) the nite of the Oct of '97 blizzard. But having to tote around a kid changes things (mostly b/c my wife wouldn't let me trailer Sofie in the snow. )
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  31. #31
    Jackass
    Reputation: pesqueeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    248
    Back when I lived in Portland there was a road called Tualatin Hills BLVD that every single damn time it froze turned into a replica of Lidarman's video. EVERYTIME we got freezing rain, which happened at least 2-3 times a year in that part of the world. It was so regular the news crews would go camp out in the morning and video tape fools coming down the hill. Its not like people didn't know it was going to happen and they STILL drove like idiots. People are stupid, the ice and snow just makes it easier to spot them.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    That sucks.
    Reminds me of this clip:

    <object width='480' height='400'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/43888' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/43888' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='534' allowFullScreen='true' /></object>

    _MK

    The people laughing in that video are incredibly ignorant, someone could have been seriously injured or even killed.

  33. #33
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Why slow down when you have the invincibility of an SUV and 4wd/AWD?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    and I live on a school bus route so the roads are clear by 7am!
    So that's why the roads in my neighborhood (in the foothills) are always plowed so early and often.
    What, me worry?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    73
    The really sad thing is that these people will be allowed to reproduce.
    What, me worry?

  36. #36
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirl
    The people laughing in that video are incredibly ignorant, someone could have been seriously injured or even killed.
    Yes, but that doesn't make it any less comical.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hairylegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    536

    Stupid people

    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Another classic winter vid

    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WO20ZaijyY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WO20ZaijyY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Why were people jumping from their moving about-to-crash cars in that video? There were two people bailing out their cars as they slid towards the pile up. How stupid can you get? And in the case of the driver who bailed, how stupid and irresponsible can you get?

    Inside a car in one of those slow motion impact slides, the damage is almost always to the car rather than the passengers. Worst case scenario, the air bag goes off, punches you in the nose and maybe a little powder burn. But ejecting from a moving car on to slick takes the celing off the worst case scenario.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    148
    ahhhh gapers, now in the 4 wheel variety, will it ever end..

    look around be aware, gapers, gapers, are everywhere...
    been on the same fsr expert frame since new in 99. Ride because you love it, not to be a trendy a$$hole.

  39. #39
    Bad Andy
    Reputation: andychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    For what it's worth:
    I saw 5 wrecks on the way in this morning, 4 were 4wheel drives.

  40. #40
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    I see plenty of accidents here and none are 4wd

    That's one thing I don't miss about the US, but I miss plenty of things, good and bad.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: longman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    539
    coming back down LeftHand from Brainard Lake on Sunday, a tool in a BMW M3? with wide ass lowpro tires was doing 20mph on the slush and wouldn't pull over to let anyone past, effing idiot. Then I came round a bend and saw an Xterra or Frontier over the other side of the road facing the wrong way, in the ditch, being kept out of the creek by some trees! WTF? I'm in a Camry with regular tires! The road wasn't slippery, just had patches of slush. Why do people freak out when it snows? Use the engine to do the braking people, not the brakes! That's what 1 and 2 next to the D are for! If you need to brake do it on the straights, not in the corners, especially if you are in a top heavy SUV.

    Oh yeah, same day, another story...I'm driving on the snow, up to Brainard Lake and catch some chick, she signals for me to pull over...on an uphill blind bend! She couldn't have picked a worse place to stop. I give her the benefit of the doubt, it may be a real emergency? I stop in front of her and get out, she asks me where the Sourdough Trailhead is...are you effing kidding me? Now I've got to get going again uphill and cars are overtaking around the blind curve. Colorado drivers rule.

    Ain't ranting brilliant!?

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Not too many people bother with snowtires, do they? I never did, and enjoyed quattro, but never freaked out in the US. Here, snowtires are required by law during certain months, but they really don't do **** to keep the car going. In fact, it f*cking still sucks when it's bad out.

  43. #43
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    <snip> Here, snowtires are required by law during certain months, but they really don't do **** to keep the car going.
    What kind of snow tires are you using? Because they must suck... I've got snow tires on my FWD van and they RULE.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    I loves me some flatlander driving in the canyons, it's a laugh a minute.

    Oh and by the way, no f-ing parallel parallel parking at trailheads in the winter maroons.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  45. #45
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Contis for the EU market. They were well rated, but the thing is snow tires only go so far. I've driven quattros for years and snow tires don't compare to using normal tires on my old quattro.

    In ice, nothing matters, though the car definitely does take off shittier than my old quattro.

  46. #46
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Contis for the EU market. They were well rated, but the thing is snow tires only go so far. I've driven quattros for years and snow tires don't compare to using normal tires on my old quattro.

    In ice, nothing matters, though the car definitely does take off shittier than my old quattro.
    Quattro does rule. It's too bad there's such a disaster wrapped around that drivetrain.

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    I fortunately did really well with them. I used to rebuild them, and saw 9/10 or more problems I inherited (used to buy cars that generally were more in repairs than the owner thought was worth) was due to bad mechanics, which I find too many of. They are only focused on getting the parts together for the customer and that's it, and one example was a previous head job being done on my last car, and the mechanic didn't loctite the exhaust studs and they all started coming off. Along the way, I found nearly every bolt associated with the repair damaged and a nightmare to pull off. That's only one example. Don't get me started on how they pull tie rods with a sledge instead of a $20 press the size of a camera. Once I rebuild them, for a minimal amount of money, they are great. Can't kill the drivetrain, can't kill the body, and they've gotten better as of late.

    Certain things though bother me, such as the aftermarket Bosch replacement parts. They are not the quality of the factory parts, and in fact, made in countries different from the factory part. It angers me to no end how people think the OEM bosch stuff is what they're getting, and meanwhile, it's essentially a factory second and won't last. I've replaced lots of those parts, such as the Czech fuel pumps, noisy out of the box, then sieze in 30k miles. I did one of these myself. I did so much long distance driving that I'm glad it didn't happen when I was far from home. I was a 5 minute bike ride and I even had my bike on me!
    If you really want to get into disasters, don't get me started on Mercedes. The worst part is people that own them are apologists for every repair, or try to blame the merger until they are shown said bad item was designed even before that idea came up. Check their forums. Those people are focking useless wastes. No information, and will rarely help others because then they have to admit the massive problems that exist in these cars. I have stories about mine, and luckily, a warranty.

  48. #48
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Quattro does rule. It's too bad there's such a disaster wrapped around that drivetrain.
    It's really too bad that folks are too incompetent to perform their own maintenance and then consider a driver's-car to be a disaster.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  49. #49
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    It's really too bad that folks are too incompetent to perform their own maintenance and then consider a driver's-car to be a disaster.
    Dude - broken door handles, power windows that would roll down and then not roll back up short of sacrificing a chicken and saying a chant... tail lights that did weird $hit regardless of what you did to fix them...

    I decided I really had better ways to spend my time and money.

    It was a *FUN* car to drive, though.

  50. #50
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I fortunately did really well with them. I used to rebuild them,
    This is a really good skill to have if you're gonna get an Audi or VW.

  51. #51
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Dude - broken door handles, power windows that would roll down and then not roll back up short of sacrificing a chicken and saying a chant... tail lights that did weird $hit regardless of what you did to fix them...

    I decided I really had better ways to spend my time and money.

    It was a *FUN* car to drive, though.
    Dude, door handles are a salvage yard item and 30 minutes of your time some night after work. Dirty door switch contacts (or faulty relay) require 10 minutes of time and you don't even have to change your suit after work to fix 'em. Tail lights that did weird sh1t? Like when you turn on the fog lights, only the left rear brake light would illuminate? That's a European standard safety feature. It's so other cars can see you and in dense fog without thinking you are on the brakes. My agrument for DEU stands.

    I'd rather own another Audi than my Toyota truck that I currently own. Honest to God, I've spent more time wrenching on the Toyotas and Acuras I've owned than I ever did with my A4.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  52. #52
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Dude - broken door handles, power windows that would roll down and then not roll back up short of sacrificing a chicken and saying a chant... tail lights that did weird $hit regardless of what you did to fix them...

    I decided I really had better ways to spend my time and money.

    It was a *FUN* car to drive, though.
    Try being more contemporary. The door handle thing was in the 80's, eliminated with a flush door handle design in 1989. Guess what solved the problem with them? Spraying a fatty Li grease inside prevented water from sitting and freezing the mech. Amazing, lubing door mechs?

    The windows was a Siemens **** up. The grease they used on the tracks would dry into glue, and was later replaced in 1989. Taillights, well, six old type 44's and no tail light problems, though my last 44 had a poor wiring job done on all the front lights. I don't know why or who did it, but I spent a couple hours rewiring it and never touched it again.

    The rebuilding came only because my family had these cars since I was a kid, with good results, though once we needed axles, and the car came back from a bad one destroyed. To the point where the caps on the wheels were actually glued on. I had to fix everything this guy did. then through school, I didn't have a lot of free cash, so I bought the cars on the cheap, and had parts or knew where to get used and wholesale, and just did the deed. It was great because I'd spend a few days going over the car, making it perfect and reliable, then not touching it for several years. I did a lot of cross country trips and it was a fantastic arrangement. The car only stranded me once, when I reinstalled the Czech Bosch pump and it siezed within two hours. 5 minutes from home, luckily, and the job was so easy to do, I was able to swap out pumps on a dark off-ramp from the parkway.

    Then comes the hydraulic system leaks, when Audi was dumb to put them out on the market not using ATF. The EU customers are ok and get it because the special mineral fluid is available here easily, but in the US, people just reached over and got whatever fluid they found. That was a nice one.

    Again, later model MB's are way worse. They are, right now, the rep of Audis from the 80's.

  53. #53
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Dude, door handles are a salvage yard item and 30 minutes of your time some night after work. Dirty door switch contacts (or faulty relay) require 10 minutes of time and you don't even have to change your suit after work to fix 'em. Tail lights that did weird sh1t? Like when you turn on the fog lights, only the left rear brake light would illuminate? That's a European standard safety feature. It's so other cars can see you and in dense fog without thinking you are on the brakes. My agrument for DEU stands.
    You can argue all you want. My wrenching days are WAY in the past. Thus I shall avoid Audis until such time that I have lots of time or money...

  54. #54
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Try being more contemporary. The door handle thing was in the 80's, eliminated with a flush door handle design in 1989. Guess what solved the problem with them? Spraying a fatty Li grease inside prevented water from sitting and freezing the mech. Amazing, lubing door mechs?

    The windows was a Siemens **** up. The grease they used on the tracks would dry into glue, and was later replaced in 1989. Taillights, well, six old type 44's and no tail light problems, though my last 44 had a poor wiring job done on all the front lights. I don't know why or who did it, but I spent a couple hours rewiring it and never touched it again.

    The rebuilding came only because my family had these cars since I was a kid, with good results, though once we needed axles, and the car came back from a bad one destroyed. To the point where the caps on the wheels were actually glued on. I had to fix everything this guy did. then through school, I didn't have a lot of free cash, so I bought the cars on the cheap, and had parts or knew where to get used and wholesale, and just did the deed. It was great because I'd spend a few days going over the car, making it perfect and reliable, then not touching it for several years. I did a lot of cross country trips and it was a fantastic arrangement. The car only stranded me once, when I reinstalled the Czech Bosch pump and it siezed within two hours. 5 minutes from home, luckily, and the job was so easy to do, I was able to swap out pumps on a dark off-ramp from the parkway.

    Then comes the hydraulic system leaks, when Audi was dumb to put them out on the market not using ATF. The EU customers are ok and get it because the special mineral fluid is available here easily, but in the US, people just reached over and got whatever fluid they found. That was a nice one.

    Again, later model MB's are way worse. They are, right now, the rep of Audis from the 80's.
    Hey - I've got nothing against people who don't mind wrenching on their cars... it's just that I did my fair share of that crap and to be honest, it sucked. So I don't buy Audis... or VWs...

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,204

    Audis?

    It is funny that this thread turned into Audi bashing. The other day a coworker who has a TT and an Allroad was telling me some stories about how stupidly expensive they were to fix. He said the suspension airbags went out on the front of the Allroad. It was $2200 to have them replaced, and the car only has 70K miles on it. Apparently the "Allroad" doesn't like gravel. The gravel gets caught in the airbags and wears holes in them. Doh! I guess they don't have gravel roads in Germany. He has put $10K in repairs in the car since the warranty ended. He wants to dump it, but the trade in is lower than a Subaru of the same year.

    The current issue of Car and Driver reports on their Audi S8. They had a fender bender that was minor enough that the car was drivable and the airbags didn't deploy, and it was $30,000 to fix the damage!! They also had a staffer leave a leaky water bottle on the passenger seat. It shorted out the electronics in the seat, and that tab was $1100.

    No thanks.

  56. #56
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    It is funny that this thread turned into Audi bashing.
    Technically it's not an Audi bashing. They're really great "driver's" cars. And the Quattro system just simply kicks A$$. You GOTTA want to work on them yourself, though. You *really* have to WANT to own one.

    Or be obscenely rich.

  57. #57
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    I will only comment on the seat repair- if you think it's any different with the seat electronics in any car not costing in the hundreds to thousands to fix, then you're delusional. I've replaced the control units on many cars going back to ones from the 80's and their costs are astronomical, especially when you do such things as leave an open water bottle on the seat.

    Don't piss yourself in those seats and you'll be ok.

    As far as the airbags go, they are a common problem with the Allroad and for some reason, they are more problematic on the US market. I would love one, but changing them off the bat because those cars are known to need such things is a burden.

  58. #58
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    He said the suspension airbags went out on the front of the Allroad. It was $2200 to have them replaced, and the car only has 70K miles on it.
    Did your coworker also tell you that new genuine Audi airbags are $667 a piece from the stealership (if you choose to shop there) and he'd rather pay a shop $1000 than pick up a wrench and do it himself? Did he also fail to mention that he could have bought a new set of coilovers for $1200 and had a whole new suspension that would be fully adjustable to his liking? Probably not. It's hard to have sympathy for folks who complain about the costs of maintenance when they refuse to perform the maintenance themselves.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  59. #59
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    <snip> It's hard to have sympathy for folks who complain about the costs of maintenance when they refuse to perform the maintenance themselves.
    This is true. And why so many people have cars other than Audis.

  60. #60
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,658
    I am on a work trip in Denmark right now, and the A6 rental is a total POS.

  61. #61
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I am on a work trip in Denmark right now, and the A6 rental is a total POS.
    Too bad they didn't give you a Chevy Malibu because that car's such a dream.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  62. #62
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Did your coworker also tell you that new genuine Audi airbags are $667 a piece from the stealership (if you choose to shop there) and he'd rather pay a shop $1000 than pick up a wrench and do it himself? Did he also fail to mention that he could have bought a new set of coilovers for $1200 and had a whole new suspension that would be fully adjustable to his liking? Probably not. It's hard to have sympathy for folks who complain about the costs of maintenance when they refuse to perform the maintenance themselves.
    After owning my own shop, I have NO desire to work on my own car anymore. Most people in the world don't have the desire, let alone the apitude, experience or tools required. You are in the small minority that don't seem to mind it. I used to be there too, about 15 years ago...

  63. #63
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Too bad they didn't give you a Chevy Malibu because that car's such a dream.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check into it for next time... I doubt the chevy is available, but I think they rented Ford Mondeo diesels

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    Yeah not a fan of Audi at all, but to each their own.

  65. #65
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    <snip> You are in the small minority that don't seem to mind it. I used to be there too, about 15 years ago...
    That's about when I was there too. You're old.

  66. #66
    Perpetual slow motion
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    480
    It's been a couple months since I was last on this forum and it's good to see everything is still the same.

    I worked at the local AUDI dealer for a month and I can tell you the dealership makes it's money on the service side not sales. That being said, I would rather have an AUDI than a Subaru for all wheel drive. The AUDI is definitely a better vehicle than the SUBARU(In-laws owned 3 SUBARU's with nothing but trouble) I drive an old blazer in the winter and don't have a problem with traction, or 4 wheel drive, or ice, or small cars etc... It's how you drive not what you drive. I like the pic of the Cruiser on it's side, I wonder how they managed to do that, it doesn't look like it went up the retaining wall or anything. Oh well, now it has character.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

  67. #67
    To "Air" Is Human
    Reputation: The Agency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    744

    ... and if we just ... Now outside the shop...

    The boat separates from the van.




    This is better than the original accident...though it might cause one.

  68. #68
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    that's pretty trick!!
    it'd be cool to see pic's of him launchin' it.

    edit* - he's should've continued the lower striping from the boat
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  69. #69
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    ...The AUDI is definitely a better vehicle ...
    Bought new, '97 Audi A4, 2.8 Quattro, 5 speed manual.

    270+K miles, 3 standard timing belt changes (dealer), 1 clutch (dealer), 2 wheel bearings (local guy), 1 power steering pump (dealer), 1 (count 'em ONE) set of brake pads (local guy), a couple of batteries, tires, and many, many, many oil changes (local guy).

    I could not be happier, the car has dents and dings but is still as solid as a rock and I love it. Best car I've ever owned. 300K here we come.

    I'm not rich or a mechanic.

    Ed

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    The Van/boat is awesome... just wouldn't want to drive it in a city!

  71. #71
    To "Air" Is Human
    Reputation: The Agency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    744
    If I owned the Boaterhome I would have to paint it like the van in the A-Team.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.