Thread: Joplin Remote

MK_
    carpe maņana

Joplin Remote

Anyone in the Boulder/Longmont area with a remote left over from a dead Joplin/Speedball?
    If you have one, please shoot me a note and asking price. Cheers.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I have one but I'm using it sorry. Just curious what happened with yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Thanks. Nothing happened with mine. I want to use it with a different post; I don't like the ergonomics of its remote.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Thanks. Nothing happened with mine. I want to use it with a different post; I don't like the ergonomics of its remote.

_MK
    Yeah that's definitely a plus with the CB design. I love the remote action and how easy it can be slipped snugly in the cockpit and still be easily functional. And it's funny you mentioned this just the other day I suggested this remote to someone in the General forum. They planned on incorporating an XTR brake lever as a remote for another brand. I suggested if that didn't work out that the CB remote design is ideal.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Hit up scot@absolutebikes.com He hordes Maverick parts and has Joplin remote kits too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I was just having that same thought. I really liked the Maverick remote best, and I'm running into an issue on my wife's bike. She has grip shifters and the KS dropper when on the inside of the brake lever is hard to reach. When it's between the brake lever and shifter the brake lever is hard to reach.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I was just having that same thought. I really liked the Maverick remote best, and I'm running into an issue on my wife's bike. She has grip shifters and the KS dropper when on the inside of the brake lever is hard to reach. When it's between the brake lever and shifter the brake lever is hard to reach.
    That's exactly my problem. KS dropper and grip shifters. I can reach my levers with the remote between the shifter and brake lever by my hands are sliding inbound. Paul Turner is now employed by X-Fusion and their post is rockin the Speedball/Joplin remote now. Another possibility. The KS remote gets a lot of praise but it's pretty flawed in my mind, not just the grip shifter issue, but also the straight out cable insert; it should be angled toward the center.

_MK

banned
    Oct 2004
    After reading your intent and purpose, I don't think mine will work for you...I lopped 1/2" off its length. It won't get past the grip shift's cable winding (fat) part.

Does CB sell the remote seperately?

banned
    Oct 2004

Way short...

...almost doesn't clear the grip-stop.

Edit: strike almost.

Joplin Remote-gripshift-joplin-lever.jpg

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I finally finished my fix to the using a KS dropper with newer gripshift issue. I got a newer crank bros remote as opposed to the old joplin/maverick one as I couldn't find an old one. I had to tap it and put in a screw to hold the cable, as with the KS the cable end is at the post not the remote, opposite of the crank bros.

The crank bros remote has a lot less leverage than the KS, so it's a firmer push, but you don't need to move it much at all, just a few mm to get the post to actuate. Seems to be the perfect fix if you are using a KS with grip shift. see the pics.

Side note the new X0/XX1 gripshift is absolutely awesome. I swear it shifts up the cassette (pulling cable) easier than down the cassette(releasing cable).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joplin Remote-photo-2.jpg  

Joplin Remote-photo-1.jpg  

Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quick question on a slightly dated thread. I have a CB Joplin post, and have come across a remote lever for it. How do I remove the lever under the saddle to replace it with the L shaped release trigger? Does it simply need to be punched out?