Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    131

    New question here. I wanna ride the Cone

    I will be in the greater Denver metro area on Monday and thought that it would be nice to finally ride Centennial Cone park. I looked at maps online and have heard good things about the park but want to know if there is a best way to ride the loop? Clockwise or counter-clockwise? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!!
    WTF

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    Counterclockwise is the better of the two directions, IMO.

    PM me and I may be interested in meeting you for the ride if you can wait until the afternoon.

  3. #3
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Counterclockwise is the better of the two directions, IMO.
    .

    I agree with that...especially if it's hot.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Soulbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    72
    Is it still odd/even on the weekend? and if it is, are we (bikes) odd or even. And I find from the top lot, go left, much better!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulbiker
    Is it still odd/even on the weekend? and if it is, are we (bikes) odd or even. And I find from the top lot, go left, much better!!
    Bikes are even, hikers odd. So don't go today.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Soulbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    72
    Thanks, That's what I thought.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    212
    Just think of hikers as sort of the odd people that they are and you'll never forget the rule.

    Personally, I'm finding the odd/even thing very annoying at CC. There are many weekends when I can only ride on one day and that ends up being an odd day. At first, I was fine with it, but I've changed my mind.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,111
    The other issue I have seen is that on those even weekend days there are a lot of riders on the trail. I wonder how busy it is on hiking days? I would assume the bikers are the largest user group using the trail. In addition, the average hiker isn't going to do the entire loop. I don't mind the schedule, but every time I have riden the trail, I still see hikers out on even days.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    Hikers can be really odd. Can we ban hikers from the Cone for being odd? I want to ride the Cone soon- I had no idea there was an odd/even rule. Good thing I checked this post.

  10. #10
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Thought Criminal 9
    Bikes are even, hikers odd. So don't go today.
    I'm sure glad they made the hikers odd. Every little detail counts!

  11. #11
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Thought Criminal 9

    Personally, I'm finding the odd/even thing very annoying at CC. There are many weekends when I can only ride on one day and that ends up being an odd day. At first, I was fine with it, but I've changed my mind.
    There are lots of other trails besides the Cone...I hope it's not that annoying!!!
    At Betasso, they ban Bikes two days a week. Even on the days you can ride, it's open to hikers.

    Nothing against hikers, but the rules on Cone are very unique.

    I think all future trail advocacy will be using the cone as a study on this.

  12. #12
    This is how it started...
    Reputation: sdsantacruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    341
    Yeah, I have seen the hikers on biking days too. One thing I have a concern about is the trail has a lot of blind corners and had several incidents of 'close calls' with other riders. Has anyone else witnessed this? Or seen a collision that may have resulted due to this? Maybe a severe injury due to a blind corner may prompt JeffCo to enforce the unidirectional ride much like Betasso.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsantacruzer
    Yeah, I have seen the hikers on biking days too. One thing I have a concern about is the trail has a lot of blind corners and had several incidents of 'close calls' with other riders. Has anyone else witnessed this? Or seen a collision that may have resulted due to this? Maybe a severe injury due to a blind corner may prompt JeffCo to enforce the unidirectional ride much like Betasso.
    I have delt with this as well, I have riden the trail a few times now and know where to slow down, but I have almost been hit every time I have riden up there. I wouldn't be opposed to a set direction of travel, at least on weekends.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    279
    I've ridden it both ways and prefer to ride it clockwise as I would rather climb up the 3+ miles of jeep trail and cash in the vert on singletrack.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SingleAndRigid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    46
    i agree with biopace - prefer to ride it clockwise:
    climb mayhem gulch -> left on juniper -> left on travois -> right on elk range trail -> climb to north trailhead -> back down on travois. wash, rinse, repeat.

    as sdsantacruzer/steadyflow both mentioned, there are plenty of blind corners - especially on travois trail.

    be careful and have fun!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsantacruzer
    Yeah, I have seen the hikers on biking days too. One thing I have a concern about is the trail has a lot of blind corners and had several incidents of 'close calls' with other riders. Has anyone else witnessed this? Or seen a collision that may have resulted due to this? Maybe a severe injury due to a blind corner may prompt JeffCo to enforce the unidirectional ride much like Betasso.
    It is dangerous on that south facing side when you're climbing up. I was almost hit a couple of times last year.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleAndRigid
    i agree with biopace - prefer to ride it clockwise:
    climb mayhem gulch -> left on juniper -> left on travois -> right on elk range trail -> climb to north trailhead -> back down on travois. wash, rinse, repeat.

    as sdsantacruzer/steadyflow both mentioned, there are plenty of blind corners - especially on travois trail.

    be careful and have fun!
    Mayhem is a nice addition. I'm glad they built it.
    For a shorter workout, I like to climb up Mayhem, take a right, then the next right and then climb to the high point.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    394
    I hope you reported the hikers to Jeffco Open Space. I'm sure they would have done the same against us.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,326

    Rode The Cone this morning

    Did a simple loop starting from the western parking lot out Travois. Both gates are open on the double track connecting the two major parking lots. Didn't see anyone on Travois till a single-speeding fully rigid guy blew past me while I was taking pics. Beautiful day, wildflowers out in force, cool air, bright sun. My first full loop and it was real enjoyable. Especially all by myself!

  20. #20
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,854
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Did a simple loop starting from the western parking lot out Travois. Both gates are open on the double track connecting the two major parking lots. Didn't see anyone on Travois till a single-speeding fully rigid guy blew past me while I was taking pics. Beautiful day, wildflowers out in force, cool air, bright sun. My first full loop and it was real enjoyable. Especially all by myself!
    Sounds like bliss glad you had a good ride. Shoulda called, we coulda grabbed a beer at gcb.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,230
    I love that trail. I think its a little easier counterclockwise, better workout clockwise but save some energy for the climb out after the bridge. What a cool bridge!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.