I heart the drops
    Dude your like 6'8" you should have round housed him
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Thread Terrorist

I give up (Yielding content)

Honestly people, I give up.

My wife and two friends are having a friendly and warm ride the day before thanksgiving at LOTB. On our way up, a rider going down hill (not to be mistaken for a DHer or shuttler) ripped past me (nearly hitting me, my friend and my wife), not really yielding at all. I stopped, yelled at the a-hole, and he yelled something back.

On our way down, he's back on his way up. We had a heated discussion. His comments were:

"Why didn't you yield to me"
    "Share the trail, you could've stopped as I went past"

This guy really didn't have a clue about any type of right-of-way. The other bikers we encountered did pull over, as did we for them.

With my two head-on-collisions with bikers at Centennial Cone (during the bike day) and a 3rd almost putting me and my riding buddy in the ER, what are we to do? I'm to the point where riding on hiking only days is the only way there.

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    With my two head-on-collisions with bikers at Centennial Cone (during the bike day) and a 3rd almost putting me and my riding buddy in the ER, what are we to do? I'm to the point where riding on hiking only days is the only way there.
    I crashed at Cent when two bikers were standing in the middle of the trail around a corner.

I've been to the ER after a head-on. Severe concusion and stitches. I don't remember enough to know if it was a yielding related thing though.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    WWRJD?

What would Rampage Jackson do?
    Now with more vitriol!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Treat unyeilding riders as trail obstacles. A stiff arm or an elbow as they go by are very effective.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WO4wcNVbYOQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WO4wcNVbYOQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    This guy really didn't have a clue about any type of right-of-way.
    Considering the only way one learns bike/bike ROW through word of mouth this doesn't surprise me. I rode with three riders a few months ago who had no idea that hikers had ROW, how are we to expect them to know what to do when they encounter another cyclist?

It's almost impossible to correct a stranger's behavior on a trail; it will only be met with contempt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

My wife and two friends are having a friendly and warm ride the day before thanksgiving at LOTB. On our way up, a rider going down hill (not to be mistaken for a DHer or shuttler) ripped past me (nearly hitting me, my friend and my wife), not really yielding at all. I stopped, yelled at the a-hole, and he yelled something back.

On our way down, he's back on his way up. We had a heated discussion. His comments were:

This guy really didn't have a clue about any type of right-of-way. The other bikers we encountered did pull over, as did we for them.

I always yield to hikers and horses, going uphill or downhill . I always yield to uphill bikers when going downhill. As far as yielding to downhill bikers while I am going uphill on my bike -- I take a very different tack. What I have found to be very effective is the following technique, which may not work for everyone (but it has worked remarkably well for me): Through body language, posture, positioning and direct eye contact (when possible) let the downhill biker coming toward you know well in advance that you will remain on the trail, pedalling uphill, and that you WILL NOT yield to him or her. Sometimes I even stick my elbows out a bit to make it plain that I am not going to pull off the trail for the downhill biker and I just keep pedalling. In hundreds of rides using this technique I have never had anyone hit me, regardless of how fast they were going. I can only think of two or three instances where downhill bikers still just blew past me. In the hundreds of other instances, the vast majority of riders going downhill yielded appropriately, and you get the chance to say "thanks." In a few cases, some people will still keep coming downhill at you, but then you need to stay on the trail and keep pedalling uphill. 99 out of 100 times these riders will get out of your way or yield once they figure out that you're not going to yield to them. My experience has taught me that 99%+ of the riders out there know full well the rules of trail etiquette, and that some small percentage of them still choose to ignore the rules when they become inconvenient. This technique is really all about on-site live training.

friend of Apex
    maybe the other dude gave up a while back
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Maybe buy this?

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    maybe the other dude gave up a while back
    HA!

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    Dude your like 6'8" you should have round housed him

How'd this reply end up before the first post in the thread?? Hah.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Maybe buy this?

THat's the answer!

I'm so glad you don't work and surf the internet all day!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    THat's the answer!

I'm so glad you don't work and surf the internet all day!
    Yeah - add sinus/ear infection to that and you've got a recipe for some good times.

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by brettf
    How'd this reply end up before the first post in the thread?? Hah.
    That's telecanesis Kyle

Stiff yet compliant
    Remember, this is Jefferson County we are speaking of. My experience is that Jefferson County is populated by a lot of self-righteous yuppy pricks with an inflated sense of entitlement. This applies to roads, trails, parking spots or anything else that requires cooperation with other people. If my car/bike is more expensive, I am better than you. Move it, peon.

Living the High Life
    That's telecanesis Kyle
    You have mind bullets too?!

Stand back
    That's telecanesis Kyle
    I was going to correct you and say it's "kinesis", but that's the power to move things, not mtbr posts...

And seems like that yielding suit is missing a red rubber ball mouthpiece thing...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Remember, this is Jefferson County we are speaking of. My experience is that Jefferson County is populated by a lot of self-righteous yuppy pricks with an inflated sense of entitlement. This applies to roads, trails, parking spots or anything else that requires cooperation with other people. If my car/bike is more expensive, I am better than you. Move it, peon.
    Is courtesy dead?

Your other handle has been exposed, moooStashe

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    how many yards away.... say, could you kill a yak?

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Is courtesy dead?

Your other handle has been exposed, moooStashe
    OH NO! My cover is blown! At least my eight other sock puppet accounts are still safe.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    OH NO! My cover is blown! At least my eight other sock puppet accounts are still safe.
    Family Guy is hilarious, a$$

Stiff yet compliant
    Has Stewie killed his mom yet? ROFLMAO

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by brettf
    how many yards away.... say, could you kill a yak?
    from 200yds away

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    from 200yds away
    a-rigagoo goo riga goo goo

Rolling
    Give up?

You must be French.

Members who have read this thread: 0