Thread: HT vs. FS

mtbr member

HT vs. FS

I was wondering, Are hardtails on there way out. everyone seems to be getting into full suspension. I ride a Hard tail and I was wondering how many of you still ride a hardtail?

Rolling
    FS is a fad. Just cuz the college students commute to school on them, means nothing!

Cynical Bystander
    Um...both?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Card Carrying Member
    Hardtail here

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Hardtail here
    Me too. I feel so unfashionable!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Preemptive Revenger
    I just built up a nice hardtail and rode it for the first time on Sunday. All I can say is, "whee!" It was really fun. I could feel the difference climbing and the bike felt really light and responsive.

I'm not dissing FS, that will still be my main ride.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Rolling
    The real question should be, who still rides rigid. FS is not that much more of a stretch than front suspension.

The really cool peeps are on rigid fixeys!

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    The real question should be, who still rides rigid.
    If I could get my rigid disc fork back from my wife... me. I let her try it out and she won't give it back.
    Last edited by kitchenware; 08-30-2005 at 10:25 AM.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    The real question should be, who still rides rigid. FS is not that much more of a stretch than front suspension.

The really cool peeps are on rigid fixeys!
    Didn't you get the memo? Rigid fixies are only cool if they're run with Midge, Mary or Jones H-Bars.

Besides, we all know that plain ol' hardtails went the way of single geared bikes.
    Now with more vitriol!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Jones H-Bars.
    Gotta love those!

I feel no shame in wanting to ride my hardtail less despite that I'm about to get my SS up and running again....but one thing is for sure, it will have a shock on the front!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Gotta love those!

I feel no shame in wanting to ride my hardtail less despite that I'm about to get my SS up and running again....but one thing is for sure, it will have a shock on the front!
    Come on, full rigid is FREEDOM, Baby!!!! Screw suspension!

Man, I see in the front range forum the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God d@mn it, an entire generation pumping up air shocks and tubeless tires; slaves to the marketing department. Advertising has us chasing suspension pivot points and brightly colored clothes; working jobs we hate so we can buy shite we don't need. We're the middle children of cycling history, man. No purpose or place. We have no great "Repack." No "New Paradigm." Our great Repack is a spiritual trail...our New Paradigm is our lives. We've all been raised on cycling rags to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, Lance Armstrongs, and Cedrics. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off....

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.....
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    sliiiiiide...
    Marla didn't have testicular cancer.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF

Man, I see in the front range forum the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God d@mn it, an entire generation pumping up air shocks and tubeless tires; slaves to the marketing department. Advertising has us chasing suspension pivot points and brightly colored clothes; working jobs we hate so we can buy shite we don't need. We're the middle children of cycling history, man. No purpose or place. We have no great "Repack." No "New Paradigm." Our great Repack is a spiritual trail...our New Paradigm is our lives. We've all been raised on cycling rags to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, Lance Armstrongs, and Cedrics. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off....

We didnt land on plymouth rock...plymouth rock landed on us

Gaa-zee-raaaa!

sliiiiiide...
    Now with more vitriol!

Hairshirt Rider

We've got the wrong Don. Are you channeling McClung

dwj
    mtbr member

no great repack... i beg to differ http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=118180

there is a casual repack ride on bikes with bigger wheels (although big wheels aren't mandatory) in the works. that one is going to be down mt herman rd.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwj
    no great repack... i beg to differ http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=118180

there is a casual repack ride on bikes with bigger wheels (although big wheels aren't mandatory) in the works. that one is going to be down mt herman rd.
    Oh - You should keep us informed, I've got a '49 Schwinn with an ultra high tech susp. fork on the front of it. It's 50lbs of pure downhill love... with white walls
    Now with more vitriol!

Gravy Boat Regatta

Dammit, now I have to watch Fight Club. Again.

EDIT - rather, I'll read it. again.
    Hi

Cynical Bystander

Don, rigid rules.

Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    Not only Hardtail but Singlespeed also.

tOmmygunn

we're a generation of men raised by women....

i'm beginning to wonder is another bike the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydee

tOmmygunn

tOmmygunn

i'm beginning to wonder is another bike really the answer...

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygunn
    You buy a bike. You tell yourself, this is the last bike I will ever need in my life. Buy the bike, then for a couple months you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got that bike issue handled. Then the right set of wheels. Then the perfect tires. The bars. The grips. Then you're trapped on your lovely bike, and the bike you used to own, now owns you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

... and if we just ... Hardtails Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Heres One More.
    I Had A Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 2 Supposedly One Of The Best... Yah Right. I Could Never Get It Set Up, When I Did It Would'nt Stay Set Up Long Due To Natural Air Seepage, It Was A Pain, And Was Either A Couch Or A Hard Tail. I Now Ride Only.. Only Hard Tails.
    They Are Quicker, And Much More Reliable Than Dualies, And If You Do Go Dual Squishy, Which Of The 10 Or So Suspension Designs Do You Get, Cause We All Know, Each Design Is The Best, Oh Ya What A Joke Suspension Is.
    Although If I'm Going To A Ski Resort And Want To Go 60 Down A Mountain, A Dually Would Be Fine. But In The Real World Where Getting To The Trail 2 Or 3 Times A Week Is It, Hardtails Rule.