how heavy are you ??

how long does it take from waterton cyn

All the way to pine on the CT? Never done that one and would like to start at 0600 on Saturday. Is it shaded or exposed?
    Scott

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    It depends on how fast you ride. And how many stops you make.

And yes - it's shaded and exposed.

HTH.

how heavy are you ??

i have probably average speed overall

is it a bear after the platte?
    Scott

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You might see bears. We saw a bobcat in the area once.

I dream on two wheels
    We went to the South Platte River and back last weekend and it took about 6 hours with a couple stops and some flat tires. The trail is shaded but has some exposed parts, especially riding down to the south platte where it got really hot.

-Simon

Tribe Member
    It is primarily uphill to get to the river. You have the climb up to Lenny Bench, then climb up the rock wall and then it goes up again and then a great shaded downhill to the river.

It might be better if you shuttle cars and start at the top of Buffalo Creek, ride down to the Platte then back into Waterton Canyon. That ride is doable in under 4 hrs ride time.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    All the way to pine on the CT? Never done that one and would like to start at 0600 on Saturday. Is it shaded or exposed?
    Scott
    Average speed, hmm? Your overall avg. will vary depending on # stops and the duration of those stops. Don't stop, keep moving! Trail conditions and weather will also dictate your speed.

It is a major ride but a really good one. There are bailout options along the way. If you make it to the South Platte River - Bailout #1. If you make it to 126 - Bailout #2. If you make it to Rd. 550/543 in Buff Creek - bailout #3 but not as much of a bailout as the other two.

yetirich's description to get to the S. Platte is a good one - figure 3-5 hrs. to get there since I have no idea what avg. speed means.

After that it is a major climb to get to 126 w/ a couple of dips and sharp climbs in the middle. Figure another 2-4 hrs. The initial climb is very exposed at the beginning w/ some decomposed gravel and some loose sand in sections, it gets shadier about 2/3's up. And I'm wondering about deadfall, I've not seen any reports about that section but it has been bad in the past. The section that parallels 126 before intersecting it, is very nice but gets exposed again. There is an outside water faucet at the fire station on 126.

Then you have the last stretch of CT before you drop into Buff Creek and make the final big climb. Figure another 2-3 hrs. to get to Pine from 126 depending on how tired you are. Don't forget you have to climb either Gashouse, Baldy or Sandy (if you want to stay on singletrack) before you get to bomb down Buck or Strawberry and home to Pine.

Overall duration 7-12 hrs. the way I've conservatively estimated it. Yup, it's a big range for a reason.

Man you've fired me up about that whole thing. If I weren't heading to Salida/Del Norte this weekend.....PM if you want more details.

Have fun!

Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0