I can't ride 45!

Help me select the right Maxxis High Roller

Ok, so I am looking for a new rear tire to be run on a homemade tubless setup. It will replace a WTB Moto Raptor 2.24 which is a great tire but tends to burp air and goo in my tubeless setup. Looks like the High Roller should be a good aggressive xc tire for the CO trails, but there are a bunch of different variants of the High Roller to choose from. The DH versions are too heavy for my purpose which leaves the UST and non-UST versions. The biggest non-UST High Roller is a 2.1 which is a tad smaller than the 2.24 WTB's I have been running, but the wire bead version (only 20 grams heavier than the foldable bead version) is CHEAP at $19 bucks or so. Or should I consider the eXception 2.1 non-UST version which is slightly softer and less weight? What is up with the eXception versions? I hear that they might be smaller than similarly sized non-eXception tires. At 740 grams (advertised) the 2.35 UST HIgh Roller ST with soft 42 durometer rubber might be the ticket, but I am a little worried about the wear and they cost at least double the 2.1's. Anyone running these tires and have comments on selecting from the various High Roller tires?

mtbr member
    At 740 grams (advertised) the 2.35 UST HIgh Roller ST with soft 42 durometer rubber might be the ticket,
    This is a little random, but a good fyi...

Last week I saw some 2.35 high rollers at Rim Cyclery in moab for $19.99 each. I personally would use this as an excuse to make a trip to moab, and while I was there I might go biking too.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    Looks like the High Roller should be a good aggressive xc tire for the CO trails, but there are a bunch of different variants of the High Roller to choose from. The DH versions are too heavy for my purpose which leaves the UST and non-UST versions. The biggest non-UST High Roller is a 2.1
    There is a 2.35 single ply 60a available in wire or Kevlar (foldable bead). I have one on the front of my SS.

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoride
    This is a little random, but a good fyi...

Last week I saw some 2.35 high rollers at Rim Cyclery in moab for $19.99 each. I personally would use this as an excuse to make a trip to moab, and while I was there I might go biking too.
    Damn I was just there too! Maybe it is time to go back.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    There is a 2.35 single ply 60a available in wire or Kevlar (foldable bead). I have one on the front of my SS.
    Isn't that guy in the 1000 gr range? The UST is about 750 gr I think. Anyone ride either of these?

jason

Now Uploading
    Isn't that guy in the 1000 gr range? The UST is about 750 gr I think. Anyone ride either of these?

jason
    I'll look it up for you right now in the 2005 Maxxis catalog on my desk...

Page 28 (Freeride), the High Roller 26x2.35 60a foldable is 810g, the wire bead is 850g.

Page 14 (Cross-Country), the High Roller 26x2.10 70a foldable is 570g, the 62a Exception series 2.1 foldable High Roller is 480g by comparison.

Page 17 (Tubeless), the High Roller UST 2.1 is 665g, the 2.35 UST (finally!!!), is 740g.

Maxxis no longer makes 2-ply DH 2.35 tires of any type with that casing, but you can still find them and the High Roller 2.35 weighs about 1080g. The 26x2.5 High Roller DH 2-ply 60a weighs 1250g.

And we all know that if we pick up two new identical tires and weigh them on an accurate scale, they may differ a few grams or tens of grams.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    I'll look it up for you right now in the 2005 Maxxis catalog on my desk...

Page 28 (Freeride), the High Roller 26x2.35 60a foldable is 810g, the wire bead is 850g.

Page 14 (Cross-Country), the High Roller 26x2.10 70a foldable is 570g, the 62a Exception series 2.1 foldable High Roller is 480g by comparison.

Page 17 (Tubeless), the High Roller UST 2.1 is 665g, the 2.35 UST (finally!!!), is 740g.

Maxxis no longer makes 2-ply DH 2.35 tires of any type with that casing, but you can still find them and the High Roller 2.35 weighs about 1080g. The 26x2.5 High Roller DH 2-ply 60a weighs 1250g.

And we all know that if we pick up two new identical tires and weigh them on an accurate scale, they may differ a few grams or tens of grams.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave
    Wow, Dave: all of that without a single run-on sentence. I'm so proud of you!

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    Wow, Dave: all of that without a single run-on sentence. I'm so proud of you!

Thanks, I haven't been through a another Starbucks since this morning.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think you should run 2.7 highrollers front and rear!

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    I think you should run 2.7 highrollers front and rear!
    Do you work for Mojo? I called the other day looking for tires (High Roller, Nevegal, NBX) but the guy I was talking to could not locate anything but the high roller and he was not sure what sizes were in the shop. Ya know what you have in stock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Do you work for Mojo? I called the other day looking for tires (High Roller, Nevegal, NBX) but the guy I was talking to could not locate anything but the high roller and he was not sure what sizes were in the shop. Ya know what you have in stock?
    No, I'm on the race team (gravity).

I'll email Matt (elroy) and see if he can get the info for you.

Thanks
    Brent

mtbr member
    He doesn't work for Mojo, but rides for the race team like I do. Call Mojo and ask for Bob. He's the sales manager and will get you set up with what you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey Jason,

They do not have any Nevegal or NBX's in stock, it sounds like the highrollers they have are the DH casing in lager tires. If you want, you can give me the exact info on what you want and I can have Matt see if they are available from the distributors and then order them if you decide you want them. Sorry I could not help more.

Brent

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    Hey Jason,

They do not have any Nevegal or NBX's in stock, it sounds like the highrollers they have are the DH casing in lager tires. If you want, you can give me the exact info on what you want and I can have Matt see if they are available from the distributors and then order them if you decide you want them. Sorry I could not help more.

Brent
    Thanks guys for the help. I talked to Kenda today and it sounds like the Nevegal 2.1 DTC has not make it to QBP yet so I might cool my heels until those hit the shops. I am kinda leaning towards the Nevegals over the High Rollers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks guys for the help. I talked to Kenda today and it sounds like the Nevegal 2.1 DTC has not make it to QBP yet so I might cool my heels until those hit the shops. I am kinda leaning towards the Nevegals over the High Rollers.
    Cool, the Kenda's do sound like nice tires.