mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Headed West - Can I ride in the spring?

Howdy guys. Please excuse my lack of knowledge...never traveled out west before and I live in Georgia.

I'm going to Denver the first week of April and really wanted to ride while I was out there. My friends I'm visiting don't ride, so I haven't been able to get any "local" info. Does anyone know of some good riding/bike rentals within a couple hours drive of Denver? And even more important, can I expect to have weather/trail conditions that I can ride in?

Thanks for the info!

slow
    During that time frame, you might encounter anything from clear sunny skies, dry trails and temps in the 70's to large amounts of snow on the trails and falling from the sky. Don't reserve a bike rental too far in advance.

The mountain trails will probably still have a bunch of snow on them, but there is plenty of riding close to Denver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I second the above advice. Wait until a couple weeks before you come out as the weather is much too unpredictable right now. Denver (and the front range) has had record or within 2” of a record February snowfall. The mountains can get pounded with snow in April so you probably are not going to get up too high however there are plenty of county open space trails that might be rideable.
    Another suggestion is follow the “Waterton Canyon” thread below. The first 6 miles is a maintained dirt road but some nice singletrack at the end might be rideable. If not, there is a good chance you could see some big horn sheep. It’s about 30-45 min south of Denver.

Also if you want to ski all the resorts are still open the first week of April and the conditions are getting better by the day.

Team Velveeta™

Salida. More Salida.

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    During that time frame, you might encounter anything from clear sunny skies, dry trails and temps in the 70's to large amounts of snow on the trails and falling from the sky. Don't reserve a bike rental too far in advance.

The mountain trails will probably still have a bunch of snow on them, but there is plenty of riding close to Denver.
    Salida is just a little over 2 hours from Denver. We normally have lots of good stuff open in April. But as sgltrak says, no guarantees for springtime in the Rockies. Check before you drive up here.

Absolute Bikes (Absolute Bikes, Salida Colorado) here in town has lots of bikes to rent, everything from your basic hardtail to Yeti 575-level demos. No need to reserve one for April. There will be ample to choose from.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Chiming in here. As all others have stated, April could be dicey but unless we get absolutely dumped on, things might be ok. But that's Colorado. Weather is unpredictable.

Being that it's in my backyard, I would recommend Waterton Canyon. It's an easy ride, but a scenic one. I'd be happy to give you a tour if the timing work's out. If trail conditions are drying out, you may want to check out some of the Jefferson County Open Space parks (JeffCo parks). Elk Meadows might be good. Three Sisters perhaps. If you have even more time (and conditions are ok) you may want to head to Eagle on the other side of the Continental Divide for a bit of the Western Colorado experience. Colorado Springs has some great rides too. Palmer Park, Palmer Trail/Chutes/Capt Jacks/Cheyenne Canyon areas are great too and within an hour of Denver.

Now, some folks might be wondering why I started off with some "easy" trails. If you're coming from Georgia you *might* have some challenges with elevation. Hopefully, you'll have a few days to get acclimated before you hit the trails so you don't feel like you're trying to breath through a straw.

I'm not 100% certain, but Mojo Wheels might still do rentals. (303) 986-8216

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    +all of what they said^^

Buffalo Creek has alot of fun singletrack and one black diamond trail- Blackjack

We head up there quite a bit- when not under snow
    We have a weekly night ride - t.i.t.s. night ride's just look for the weekly thread if you'd like to join- i have demo lights i can set you up with.

blackjack- vid credit Lidarman:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mZ_wjUZ21_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More of the normal flow at BC: not sure whos vid- or the narrow bars and bar ends:
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2ayi9Ht9_3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let me know - happy to be a tour guide up there.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    [QUOTE=PBR me!;9051187<snip>
    More of the normal flow at BC: not sure whos vid- or the narrow bars and bar ends:
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2ayi9Ht9_3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.[/QUOTE]
    Jeezus. I can appreciate a narrow bar... but that is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Best place in the Denver area for rentals is Golden Bike Shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Buffalo Creek has alot of fun singletrack and one black diamond trail- Blackjack
    OMG! Yes! Duh!! How could I forget. ;-)

If Buffalo Creek is clear, I'd make that my first choice. Happy to accompany as well if the timing works out.

Members who have read this thread: 0