mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hall Ranch Today

Here's a few picks from my ride this morning up Hall Ranch from the Antelope side. For the first time at Hall Ranch I saw a mountain lion this morning (about 7:00 a.m., just past the bench at the intersection of the Bitterbrush and Antelope trails). I seriously considered turning around but kept going after the mountain lion took off. Temp was around 20 degrees, and my neoprene boot covers and thick socks were not quite enough to keep my feet warm. Conditions were crunchy and there was a fair amount of ice this morning. Tried out my new studded Nokian 294 tires for the first time. They worked great. Thanks to Dave at Redstone Cyclery for getting me set up on the Nokians.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tundraline; 12-12-2008 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looks like your camera was frozen! Use your neoprene camera booty next time.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    how far were you from the Mtn Lion? Was it close to the trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It was about 50 yards from the trail when I first saw it, when it took off across to the other side of the trail right after it spotted me. The lion ran full speed across the trail and up to a rock outcrop, where it disappeared. I was impressed by the brute strength and sheer athleticism of the animal.

Shread Ready
    Wow, some of you guys are really hardcore! That's pretty cool and I hope to do some winter riding this season but it's doubtful. Got any close ups of those tires?

And, yeah, Mt Lions don't really freak me out like other people. I think they are cool creatures but I wouldn't want one coming after me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here's a better photo of the Nokian 294 Gazza tires:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    So how much snow was there? Is the upper loop rideable....say tomorrow with little mud? I would think there is snow up there and the other route up from Lyons would be fairly snow free?

Thanks in advance...really cool you saw one of those....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tundraline
    ...where it disappeared. I was impressed by the brute strength and sheer athleticism of the animal.
    No sh!t. The one I saw was seriously like a ghost, it literally disappeared after taking one or two huge leaps... gone. Sweeet!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

ride
    Saw one on Apple Valley road a couple of years ago. HUGE, too. He was crossing the road in front of us. He slowly looked up at us as if to say "I'm not worried about you," and sauntered off. It was really cool.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Shread Ready
    Man, those tires are pimp! Guess you'd pretty much need a set of those if your riding in the snow/ice. I bet they cost a pretty penny.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    So how much snow was there? Is the upper loop rideable....say tomorrow with little mud? I would think there is snow up there and the other route up from Lyons would be fairly snow free?

Thanks in advance...really cool you saw one of those....
    If there's sun tomorrow and it warms up during the day, I'd say you'd have no problem doing the whole trail, especially if you ride up from the Bitterbrush side (which gets more sun than the Antelope side). If you go around mid-day you will probably find some mud and squishy snow, but not much ice (assuming it warms up).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher
    Man, those tires are pimp! Guess you'd pretty much need a set of those if your riding in the snow/ice. I bet they cost a pretty penny.
    I'll get my money's worth out of the Nokians this winter. Just riding along Apple Valley Road on the way to Hall Ranch makes the investment worthwhile because Apple Valley Road gets little sun, faces the north and stays icy. The Nokians open up a whole new world of possibilities.
    Last edited by tundraline; 12-13-2008 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Poor Bill had to stay home and study......

I'll get my money's worth out of the Nokians this winter. Just riding along Apple Valley Road on the way to Hall Ranch makes the investment worthwhile because Apple Valley Road gets little sun, faces the north and stay icy. They open up a whole new world of possibilities.
    ......while you were out riding!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I was thinking of trying to get a ride in while it is still frozen this morning but my thermometer says 38 F. I wonder if it even froze last night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by retsin2000
    Hmmm, I was thinking of trying to get a ride in while it is still frozen this morning but my thermometer says 38 F. I wonder if it even froze last night.
    The sun is out in Lyons and it's warming up nicely. I'll be heading up Hall Ranch around 12:30 today.

Card Carrying Member
    The sun is out in Lyons and it's warming up nicely. I'll be heading up Hall Ranch around 12:30 today.

I'll be there. No time to ride anywhere else. GF 29er

Shread Ready
    Today was/is the last day anyone will be doing any riding for a while. Getting ready for some seriously frigid temps for the next week with lots of snow. I was going to go up snowboarding for my first time on Monday but single digits are a little too cold for me. Only the hardest of the hardcore MTB'ers would be out in those conditions!

Card Carrying Member
    Today was/is the last day anyone will be doing any riding for a while.

Ha! ha, I say! Best time of year to ride.

trail waggler

Kitchenware, kitchenware...

That sounds SO familiar...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

friend of Apex
    I was going to go up snowboarding for my first time on Monday but single digits are a little too cold for me.
    God bless you child. I love you folks!
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Members who have read this thread: 0