Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Preemptive Revenger

On Group Rides, Athallia vs Sourdough, and Helicopters

Running late for a group Sourdough ride, I opted to pull into Beaver Reservoir and intercept the group ride a half hour after there supposed 9am start out of Camp Dick.

They didn't show up until 10, meaning they started a half hour late anyway (I coulda made it to the main start). There were 15 or more of them - this is how large group rides go - lots of waiting.

This was a rare collection of most of the usual front range suspects - many talented riders were present.

At 10:30, Athalliah had a hard fall. Somebody heard a groan when she fell, but by the time we got back to her, she was up and at'em. We took a 10 minute break in the shade anyway, while we ate, drank, and let Athalliah dust herself off. (Who's got that photo of Athalliah's 5 o'clock shadow?)

Proceeding on, at maybe 11:00, IBMKid broke a derailleur cable. That took another half hour to fix.

(Being slow means you're at the back which means you get to see all the action!)

Riding on, it took about 10 minutes to catch up to where most of the group was waiting for us. We took a brief rest, then started on.

Immediately upon restarting, Athalliah, who was riding directly in front of me, dismounted on a fairly easy move, and complained of tunnel vision.

Uh Oh.

Us laggards insisted she sit down and rest, but Athalliah's a tough one, and she tried repeatedly to get on her bike and get going!

A few more minutes went by and Athalliah complained of dizziness and was obviously increasingly uncomfortable, and had moments of incoherence, and the 5 or 6 of us nearby started to worry. JoeMTBer started to walk her down the trail, but didn't get very far before Athallia fainted, while VA_HArdtail and I rode out to get help. Around 11:50 we reached the Boy Scout camp where there luckily happened to be a paramedic. He put in a call to emergency response and then drove with us back to a remote intermediate trailhead, about 2 tough miles below where we had left Athallia. (Great navigation John!)

VA_Hardtail and the paramedic started hiking up the trail to Athallia a little bit after noon, while I waited. By 12:30 there were about 15 4wd cars at this remote trailhead from various emergency response organizations, including Boulder Sheriffs, the Fire Department, the Forest Service, and Rocky Mountain Rescue. Various people starting hiking up the trail with medical kit and eventually a Sheriff with a quad headed up the trail as well, carrying an EMT. (I must say that I was most impressed by the emergency response. There were many qualified people heading up to Athalia within 30 minues of the call, and this in a fairly remote location. There was no chaos, either - it was well coordinated and orchestrated.)

It might have been 12:45 or 1:00 before the first EMT made it to Athalliah. I overheard some medical reports over the radio, and some were worrying while others were reassuring. In any case, it was decided that a helicopter evac was appropriate.

For a bit, we cleared an area for a helicopter to land, and then they determined that there was a landing zone closer to Athallia, and everybody left for that location.

That's the end of my involvement until around 6pm when I received a Sheriff's call stating that Athallia was at St. Anthony's (Central) in Denver, and doing fine.

Anyway, it's my understanding that Athalia will be spending the night at the hospital and is able to see visitors...I'm sure that friends would be welcome.

Get well fast Athalliah!
    Last edited by rapwithtom; 06-30-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    Get well fast Athalliah!
    Wow! Healing vibes being sent Athalliah's way from Jen and I. Here are some get well flowers from the trail today.

Thanks so much to you Tom, and to John, Dave (scrub), Jason, Joe, Brian and I think I'm forgetting some folks for helping her out!

It sure seemed like she had recovered ok. Then we got reports she was bailing and folks were helping her out. Then we heard scrub had been summoned - oh jeez. Then we heard the helicopter when we were way out there on the trail and we worried a little but figured nah, no way it's for Athalliah.

What a day! Broken bikes (not frames or anything), lost crowns, Athalliah getting hurt, the Springs folks getting a tour, 20 miles in 8 hours , and Scrub in the whirlwind of helping Athalliah and missing his own ride!

Last I heard scrub was on his way to the hospital to visit and make sure things were ok.

Thanks again to everyone that helped Athalliah.

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    She's doing ok. Decent concussion, and they are keeping her at least overnight for obs; they'll send her home once everything is clear in a day or so.

Her bike and so on is stasheed away, and the BoCo Sherrif folks are working on getting her car back into town for her.

(her keys have gone MIA; we found house keys, but not the car keys!)
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Preemptive Revenger
    If anybody can pass this word along to the BoCo Sheriffs, Athalliah's car keys are locked in her car. And yes, she had this moment of brilliance before her concussion!
    Last edited by rapwithtom; 07-01-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Stiff yet compliant
    So happy to hear she is ok. I will say it as well, thanks to everyone who helped her out. Especially scub who cut short his own going away ride and went back to make sure she would be ok.

From the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Cookies, condiments and hamburger meat that mysteriously appeared in my freezer.

(and some beer)
    Does that mean there is ground beef locked in her car?

mtbr member
    Scary story, glad she is doing ok! (and I'm sure getting great care from my former co-workers on 2E at St A's)

Wow, a helicopter evac. That's a lot of excitement for a going-away party. Kudos to all who helped out. Get well soon, Athalliah!

I think I can.
    Wow, whata day.
    Tom, beautiful back yard, and you neighbor says hello. Thanks for taking care of my child and who's helmet doesn't stink.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Now with 20% more fat!!
    What a day... I've never ridden with such purpose as when we were trying to get help to Athalliah. All thoughts for my personal safety disappeared while riding the (new to me) trails like a bat out of hell for help. Everyone was amazing - JoeMTBR, Scrubby, VAHardtail, FrontRanger (who may have set the downhill Sourdough record trying to get help), Brian, Tom, rescue crews, fire department, helicopters... it was crazy trying to coordinate and communicate with all groups. My body is dead from riding back and forth over that tough terrain trying to help search and rescue and communicate with the larger group. Probably the best hurt I've felt knowing how important this ride was to our fallen sister!

Scrubby - great riding with you again (er behind you again) and good luck in the next chapter in your life. You are a great guy and we'll miss you!

I'm so glad that Athalliah is okay! Heal up quickly, Hillary, and keep us up to date!

J\V
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Thanks again to everyone that helped Athalliah.
    You all did a great job getting help to her as fast as you did; well done.

It was our pleasure to be of service to a fellow MTB'er!

-J\V
    '12 Santa Cruz Tallboy C w/2015 Crossmax SLs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Zipp 404s

J\V
    mtbr member
    Glad to hear it sounds like she'll be fine.

And lastly:

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'm relieved to hear she's doing ok. Thanks so much to everyone who helped with her evacuation. Athalliah, it was good to meet you (however briefly it was), and I hope you recover quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by J\V
    You all did a great job getting help to her as fast as you did; well done.

-J\V
    indeed

I assume you flew the 'copter - thanks!

Ed

mtbr member

Good job!

Always good to ride with a nurse! Glad to hear nothing too serious, but WOW, exciting ride. I was up doing home>Coney Flats>BTP>Camp Dick and saw all the cars, no emergency vehicles until I was headed into Ned. The emergency response folks up here don't mess around, all business and there when you need them.

I'm going to head out the door for a short spin momentarily but if you need any help recovering stuff that may have been left behind let me know.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Really I am that slow

Glad you guys were there!

Glad H is doing Ok as well....

I've rung my bell hard more then a few times and glad shes ok!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

I think I can.

Keep us posted

Atalliah,
    First of all I would like to say you are one of the toughest and possibly one of the most stubborn people I have ever met.
    The day started off great, knowing it was going to be a long day in the saddle "or so I thought" I paced myself up the first couple climbs with expectations of a down hill to beat all, after hearing kristians and paulmtbrs description of the ride I want a do over and challenge this ride again.
    After the second climb I believe, we were coming down hill just after a large fallen tree, and we heard behind that Athalliah had crashed, since this was my first time with most of this group I can only name a handfull of people, a couple went back up the hill and got her up and back to where we took our first break. She looked OK and was talking to the group laughing and feeling bad that she went down, so is the life on the bike as we can all attest to.
    Tom, John, Jason, Dave and my new best friend Brian, Thank you, I know you guys did awsome, from the time I called off the walk out and laid her down to wait for help it was just under 50 minutes before first help arrived. As Brian and I waited with Athalliah for help the situation was going from bad to worse, we did the only thing we could which was to keep her awake, laying as still as possible and asking her questions she would know the answers to, sometime she got them right and other times the answer was not to be found.
    Tom, last night you asked me if I was scared, I would say the thought to get up, pick her up and carry her down the hill came to me more than once. It has been years since I had been put into a situation so intense, our major concern was to get Athalliah out of there quickly and safely, which meant we had to wait for help to arrive.
    Poor Athalliah had to lay in the middle of the trail for three and a half hours until they figured out that the only thing we did not have at her side was a back board, took so long that the pilot and crew arrived on site and waited for transport as well.
    There is so much more that can be said about that topic but we will leave it to the Boulder volunteers and search and rescue, I am sure they learned from this experience and what needs to be corrected. In the big picture they got her out of there and into a hospital safe and sound environment, what better ending can you ask for.

Hillary, thank you for understanding that when we called for help this was a situation non of us wanted to happen, but when it did you knew it was all about you. Get well soon and look forward to riding with you again soon, either in the springs or up in denver.
    Last edited by JOEMTBR COLORADO; 07-01-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    i wondered if you might've been behind the stick... but i thought the FFL 'copters were orange (and the blue birds were flown by airlife)?

glad to hear she's okay.
    Last edited by gotdirt; 07-01-2007 at 01:47 PM.

J\V
    mtbr member
    It's a rental...

mtbr member

i'd hate to see that rental bill!

It's a rental...
    from golden rent all?
    "yeah, i'll take an inflatable jumpy castle, some propane, a roto-tiller, and how about a bell jet ranger"

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    The following post probably won't make much sense as I've suffered quite the bump to the noggin.

Wow, it's amazing to read that through the eyes of others.

I can't thank everyone enough who helped me. I was a stubborn pain in the arse who didn't want to stop riding, let alone go for a helicopter ride.

A VERY BIG THANKS TO SCRUB who selflessly gave up his ride to help someone else out of the woods and came with Mrs. Scrub to see me at St. Antony's. MORE THANKS THAN I CAN GIVE TO JOE and BOB!/BRYAN -Thank you thank you for not letting me sleep in the woods. You stayed by my side the whole time and I am eternally thankful. Tom, John, Jason, and Dave thank you for staying with me and getting help. Thanks to Brian and your lovely girlfriend whose name is escaping me; John, Amy and Tom for visiting me in the hospital. Thank you to everyone else who held my neck in place, helped me pee, went for help or however you were of assistance. Thank you to Rocky Mountain Rescue, the guy who helped keep my head straight for what must have been an eternity, Boulder County Sheriff, the Forest Service, Flight for Life, St. Anthony's Trauma Center, all the other pairs of eyes I saw that day and whomever else was of aid. It is very difficult to put together the events and people involved as I was fluttering in and out of consciousness. I do know that without all of you I would still be up at Sourdough trying to ride out.

What a pretty place to fall down.

The day started well enough, good company and good beer on ice awaiting our return. After being one of the last to attempt a log ride at a clearing; everyone turned into the woods and I made chase. On a sandy pedaling decent my front wheel washed out and I went flying over my handlebars, landing on my face and elbows. Ed, Scrub and ...sorry still blanking on names a little...came back as I was rolling around whimpering. I climbed back on my bike and rode down to the group wearing the five o'clock dusting with pride. Shaking subsided, we continued on and then derailleur issues ensued. It was while we were sitting on the trail, munching food and joking around that my vision began to blur. It was as if I were looking through soap bubbles. I didn't say anything until the ride started again because I didn't want to make a deal of it.

Well that didn’t work out so well

So surrounded by some of the nicest guys on the Front Range, I was forced to sit down and rest a while. The only thing I wanted to do was for everyone else to get back on their bikes. My vision became increasingly worse, I could barely see and this is when I being to lose track of the afternoon. I was convinced that we had been moving around all afternoon and had little sense of place. Looking at the pictures I can remember where we were and that we weren't far from where we ate lunch. I couldn’t have walked out of those woods if I wanted, I was totally disoriented.

Being the injured party, I had no idea I had been laying in the woods for as long as I had. Thanks again for staying with me and interrupting your rides. I still feel really bad about that. I'll stop apologizing now :-)

So from the medical side of things...

I had a few CT Scans (head and neck) both which came back negative with exception of a little white guy in my head above my left eyebrow. My ears were popping and shifting around a lot which they think may have been due to swelling/fluids in my head. My blood sugar was around 30 when I entered the Trauma I center (normal is 80-110), so that's something I need to follow up on and possibly monitor. We'll see when I've my follow up with my PCP (I should get one of those). Oh I’ve also a severe concussion.

Anyway, I'll be fine. No permanent damage. Right now I feel like someone ripped out my spine then beat me with it but it’s to be expected. “No strenuous activity for two weeks”, but when I’m functioning again I look forward to the no helicopters reunion ride.

And yes, there is ground meat in my car.

athalliah
    Last edited by athalliah; 07-02-2007 at 09:23 AM.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Wow! What a drama! Athalliah, I wouldn't apologize too much to Scrubby for ruining his ride, this is one he'll probably remember forever and he got to show off his real skills and value as a ride partner. Probably the perfect send off ride for him (except for the somebody got hurt part).

You're lucky this accident happened when you were with a group of such good souls!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

The following post probably won't make much sense as I've suffered quite the bump to the noggin.

And yes, there is ground meat in my car.

athalliah
    Well H it looks to me like you're on your way to a speedy recovery! Your post makes all the sense in the world, reads well and you seem to remember quite a bit including names to go with new faces. Welcome back

Eeeewwww, that meat will be rank in short order

I've quite a few ride pics to post later and I'm sure others do too, just waitin' to hear from you and get the all's well signal.

Glad you're ok and rest up.

Ed

mtbmike

Drama in the Hills ... Are you Covered?

Glad to hear that Athallia will be well and is in good hands.

This is a good time to remind everyone of the Colorado Recreation Certificate. For a couple of dollars a year, this certificate will basically pay for search and rescue operations if they ever have to come retrieve you out of the forest.

I looks to me that the operation that was executed to get Athallia out was definitely into the 4 digits, and likely into the 5 digit category. If she had the certificate, there is no charge and they say, "Thanks for supporting our program."

If you don't have it, your insurance "may" cover these costs. And if they don't cover... they send you a bill.

You can get this certificate any place where fishing and hunting licenses are sold. I buy 5 years of it at a time.... I forget how much it was last time, but it's a deal from any perspective.

Be careful out there.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

mtbr member
    Heal up quickly athalliah, sounds like QUITE the adventure, sorry you had to go through that.
    miSSionary
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Preemptive Revenger
    This is a most excellent outcome for what was for a while a pretty scary situation. It's great news that the CT scans were negative!

I'm looking forward to seeing you back on your bike...(perhaps wailing on "those short track bastards!"?)

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    I'm looking forward to seeing you back on your bike...(perhaps wailing on "those short track bastards!"?)
    I take no responsibility for anything I said yesterday in the woods.

again, sorry to cut the ride short.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    LOL... That's right... one of the questions asked of her (besides her name and DOB and other normal questions) was "Hillary, what do you think of the Boulder short track racers?"... Answer: "Those short track *****es are all sandbaggers!" ... I died laughing...

Glad to hear you are doing well, Athalliah. I know I speak for everyone when I say that we were glad to be there to help - your safety was more important than any ride... Keep us updated as your recovery progresses, and let us know when the reunion ride is! Get better soon...

Thread Terrorist
    Amazing story. All of you did a fantastic job of coordinating the effort. Reading this was intense and I'm sure this effort would be done for any fellow biker no matter the group.

Get well, heal up, go ride again.

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Wow! What a drama! Athalliah, I wouldn't apologize too much to Scrubby for ruining his ride, this is one he'll probably remember forever and he got to show off his real skills and value as a ride partner. Probably the perfect send off ride for him (except for the somebody got hurt part).

You're lucky this accident happened when you were with a group of such good souls!
    nah, by the time i got back to her, the rescue folks were showing up already. i'm used to vents, monitors, post surgical stuff. joe was the first medical type dude on scene; he did a fantastic job.

pretty much left it to them, and just helped when asked. the biggest part we did was keep her calm, and call for the rescue. potential bad head or neck wounds are not good to **** around with.

once it became apparant how dizzy/blurred of vision/consciousness losing she was, getting a pro evac was needed; kudos on whichever of the guys it was who zipped down and called. i'm a bit peeved that it took so freaking long for a crew with the damn stretcher to arrive though; we could have had her out and ready for the helo much faster had the rescue crews knew who even was carrying the thing.

hillary, don't you even dare apologize for any little bit of yesterday! i've ridden all that before, and plan to do it again before leaving.

mtbr member
    glad to hear you're okay...

hillary.jpg

btw, here's the group shot near the top of SSV (my kingdom for some fill flash):

groupSSV.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    i've ridden all that before, and plan to do it again before leaving.
    hey, i saw that... don't make me drive back up there!
    (no really, do make me drive back up there!)
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt

hey, i saw that... don't make me drive back up there!
    (no really, do make me drive back up there!)
    i've got the 9-11th, and 16th free for all day riding. the 12th and 17th free so long as i'm home by 5. if any of those work, let me know. so little time, i've decided against a mini-road trip.

on the hit list is another try at up there, and either kenosha or searle pass. for sure some other higher up local favorites. maybe another lift day. maybe a chimney/apex/dakota/red rocks day if i get one that isn't so freakin' hot. same goes for something in the springs or palmer.

Your retarded
    Ohhhh man, I left the 5 o-clock shadow picture at home. It was a little blurred anyway. I'll post it up once I get back.

athalliah, good to hear your back on your feet. I didn't know concussions could be delayed like that. Regardless, you couldn't have been riding with a finer group of folks to help you out. I think you should at minimum reward them with the ground beef that you have been to creatively preserving. :P

gotdirt, why do I look freakishly tall in that group shot?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

post-ride specialist

I submit that henceforth the look should be known as: The Dirty Athallia.
    Since when did Need have anything to do with this?

Perpetually single track
    Thanks for the updates all, hope you're still doing well Atalliah.

Sorry I missed the last two hours of the ride, but damn was that descent good.

Your retarded
    Dave to the rescue. His picture is much better than mine. (Typical )
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by icegeek

bwwhahahahahaahaa

there goes my coffee...

You know that you're going to pay for that though, you have two weeks of an appreciable headstart, and then....
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    You know that you're going to pay for that though, you have two weeks of an appreciable headstart, and then....
    Hey Scott, motivational quote of the day from IG as Mateo worked his way up some sketchy steep trail on his ss:

"You know sportsman cleared the whole thing."

Ed

J\V
    mtbr member
    i'm a bit peeved that it took so freaking long for a crew with the damn stretcher to arrive though; we could have had her out and ready for the helo much faster had the rescue crews knew who even was carrying the thing.
    For some reason, the litter came from the direction of the original LZ that was set up (uphill and over the ridgeline from where Hillary was), though I'm not sure why, as access from the lower side of the trail appeared to be faster. Those guys were working hard, running with the litter strapped to their back, and finally got it to an ATV, which promptly lost a tie rod after about two minutes of moving downhill with it. So, they re-strapped it to one of the RMR guys who then took off in front of us... We're all lucky to have Rocky Mountain Rescue around, they are probably the finest SAR group in the nation, and I've seen them do some positively amazing things with injured parties.

Often, the county sheriff is responsible for initiating SAR activities, and the initial information that is received is quite important, since the entire mobilization depends on its accuracy. Not knowing Hillary's precise location made it difficult for them to choose a location to land us, and once we determined from the air her approximate location (via quizzing them on the radio), we found an LZ that was much, much closer. It was great to hear that a paramedic (form Pridemark, I think?) got to her as fast as he did; that was the primary thing that needed to occur quickly.

I know it probably felt like forever for those of you who had to wait it out, but backcountry rescues take a bit of time, and at times communications can seem marginal, at best (and they often are). We actually had NexTel service right there on the trail (which is amazing, since they don't work in Denver half the time).

Again, well done to all of you that contributed to getting Hillary out.

-J\V

Two more for the fun of it: The elusive litter during its short ride, and some people you may know...

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    athalliah, good to hear your back on your feet. I didn't know concussions could be delayed like that. Regardless, you couldn't have been riding with a finer group of folks to help you out. I think you should at minimum reward them with the ground beef that you have been to creatively preserving. :P
    Delayed onset of symptoms, no kidding.

As you can see in IG's picture she was all smiles and ready to roll shortly after the crash. Amazing what a little adrenaline and endorphins can do for someone. It was yet another lesson learned by me, always keep an eye on someone if they hit their head even if they seem ok to start out.

Oh and I got one of Scrub on a mundane switchback move w/ IG chasing...more to come.

Ed

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    You have two weeks before I can ride...keep that in mind

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Those are all good people in those pics...thanks so much!

enlightened.
    Dec 2005

athalliah, good to hear your back on your feet. I didn't know concussions could be delayed like that.
    Nor did I.

Regardless, you couldn't have been riding with a finer group of folks to help you out.
    Couldn't agree more

I think you should at minimum reward them with the ground beef that you have been to creatively preserving. :P
    bbq at my house...
    gotdirt, why do I look freakishly tall in that group shot?
    Because you are freakishly tall?

oh, i don't mean to down on their efforts. but overhearing the radio play of trying to even find where the litters location was, was a bit like listening to some abbot and costello routine, or the stooges maybe!

i very much appreciate all the hard work you rescue crews do! and certainly hope to never be the recipient of that work myself! i'll take my trauma patients coming in through the e.r., thanks.

For some reason, the litter came from the direction of the original LZ that was set up (uphill and over the ridgeline from where Hillary was), though I'm not sure why, as access from the lower side of the trail appeared to be faster. Those guys were working hard, running with the litter strapped to their back, and finally got it to an ATV, which promptly lost a tie rod after about two minutes of moving downhill with it. So, they re-strapped it to one of the RMR guys who then took off in front of us... We're all lucky to have Rocky Mountain Rescue around, they are probably the finest SAR group in the nation, and I've seen them do some positively amazing things with injured parties.

Often, the county sheriff is responsible for initiating SAR activities, and the initial information that is received is quite important, since the entire mobilization depends on its accuracy. Not knowing Hillary's precise location made it difficult for them to choose a location to land us, and once we determined from the air her approximate location (via quizzing them on the radio), we found an LZ that was much, much closer. It was great to hear that a paramedic (form Pridemark, I think?) got to her as fast as he did; that was the primary thing that needed to occur quickly.

I know it probably felt like forever for those of you who had to wait it out, but backcountry rescues take a bit of time, and at times communications can seem marginal, at best (and they often are). We actually had NexTel service right there on the trail (which is amazing, since they don't work in Denver half the time).

Again, well done to all of you that contributed to getting Hillary out.

-J\V

Two more for the fun of it: The elusive litter during its short ride, and some people you may know...

jeny jo

didn't we???

hey Hil ....... before the ride, weren't we talking about losing consciousness?

i find that strange

i truly hope you are feeling better, and that you are AOK....

we'll have to do some of that 'biking stuff' again soon.

jeny

Preemptive Revenger
    Delayed onset of symptoms, no kidding.

As you can see in IG's picture she was all smiles and ready to roll shortly after the crash. Amazing what a little adrenaline and endorphins can do for someone. It was yet another lesson learned by me, always keep an eye on someone if they hit their head even if they seem ok to start out.
    This is exactly what scared me. The concussion happened 45 minutes prior, with no symptoms. But then, all these symptoms. I randomly guessed hemorrhaging in her brain, which can be dire...

I'd like somebody with medical expertise to comment on this...what her symptoms often mean, and what about the delayed onset?

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Glad to hear you're okay Hil. I was up there with a friend but we were already headed back to Boulder by the time you guys must have come through. Heal up soon!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Preemptive Revenger
    i'm a bit peeved that it took so freaking long for a crew with the damn stretcher to arrive though; we could have had her out and ready for the helo much faster had the rescue crews knew who even was carrying the thing.
    I was at the bottom trailhead when the ATV first rolled up. I guess it was around 1pm. A decision was made to ferry Joe the paramedic up by ATV, and then immediately come back for the stretcher, rather than spend time struggling how to fit both onto the ATV. I guess it was the second trip up when the ATV broke down.

Also, for the first hour, the trailhead - I'm talking about where we took a break after the fall, precisely where the "Dirty Athallia" photo was taken - was where all the rescue resources were marshalled, and people hiked in from there. Only after an hour or more was this moved to another location (which I understand turned out to be not much closer).

Lastly, per an earlier comment, I'm not aware of any confusion about where Athallia was. VAHardtail was familiar with the area, and showed the fireman guy who first radioed this in exactly where Hillary was on a topo map, so they had pretty good approximate coordinates. Then VAHardtail hiked in to Hillary with this same guy, and with a GPS, coordinates were radioed out.

J\V
    mtbr member
    This is exactly what scared me. The concussion happened 45 minutes prior, with no symptoms. But then, all these symptoms. I randomly guessed hemorrhaging in her brain, which can be dire...

I'd like somebody with medical expertise to comment on this...what her symptoms often mean, and what about the delayed onset?
    Let's just say that my knowledge is not so much academic as experiential, but here goes...

It is fairly common for a concussion to not initially manifest it's effects, as after the blow to the brain, the onset of tissue swelling occurs somewhat gradually. Each person has a different 'tolerance' for this swelling, and thus many people may have sustained concussions without ever having had symptoms; others manifest symptoms much more quickly. Once the synapses in the brain start to become compressed, a variety of symptoms can occur, depending on many factors.

Needless to say one needs to be very careful with injuries like this (any head injury, really). Subdural bleeds are also a potential outcome of blows to the head, the effects of which also are not immediately apparent in all cases, and are confirmed by CT and/or MRI.

It sounds like Hillary will be fine, and we need to make sure she's not back on her bike before she's gotten the go-ahead from her health care provider(s). Don't mess with head injuries, as you've suggested, they can be dire, and things can go downhill very quickly. Loss of conscious during/after the event is an important factor, so make sure to try and determine this if ever in such a situation in the future.
    Last edited by J\V; 07-02-2007 at 08:55 AM.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Great to hear all is good. I rode thru you guys riding solo probably while eating your snacks or waiting for rest of gang to catch up. I almost shared a similar fate that day bounced off a big rock followed by washing out my front and don't know how i avoided doing a faceplant into that girthy tree on wapiti. I felt damn lucky to escape with my head still intact and hearing your story now even luckier cause I wasn't riding with nobody.

Yappy little dog!
    WOW! That's a lot of excitement for one day. What an epic! I'm glad all are doing well.

mtbr member

New question here. flashing gang signs?

I keep a blue flag hanging out my backside
    But only on the left side, yeah that's the Crip side

Light freak

Inflexable...
    "Her identity and condition were not immediately known."

They should read this forum...

Glad to hear you are doing well Hillary!...

This story, the heroics and the outcome all enforce my belief in the quality of people I have met in the Front Range...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jenamin
    hey Hil ....... before the ride, weren't we talking about losing consciousness?

i find that strange

i truly hope you are feeling better, and that you are AOK....

we'll have to do some of that 'biking stuff' again soon.

jeny
    You're asking if I remember conversations from that day? Ha ha, your'e sweet :-)

Yes, biking, soon - or uh, I mean in two weeks!

jeny jo
    You're asking if I remember conversations from that day? Ha ha, your'e sweet :-)

Yes, biking, soon - or uh, I mean in two weeks!
    awwwwww, hoonnnn!!!! i was referencing the conversation we had down in the parking lot before we started riding .... (in light of your crash, it's not insignificant, the topic we were discussing!!!) perhaps we should re-visit that topic some day in the near future.

i guess i shouldn't make references to the conversation we had while we were sitting up in the trees about a half hour after your crash...

i'm really sorry you hit so hard, Hil. I did the same thing one on the ski slope ... and don't remember quite a lot of things that other people do, despite having been quite functional for a good long while ....

your head will heal. and you will ride. and all will be well.

I'm close to where you live ... holler if you need anything.

rest up!!!

Jj

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    They even got a picture of the bike she was riding that day.

mtbr member

Idea! thought i recognized that bike...

Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Even made the news
    the accompanying graphic is the best part:

apparently you were hit by an ambulance while riding your cruiser.

(hate when that happens)

EDIT: D'OH! moustache beat me to it by 1 minute!

mtbr member
    Athalliah, So glad to hear you're all right. Sounds like a scary experience.

After 2 concussions on my dirtbike (despite top of the line helmets) and a nasty face plant while mountain biking (where my face landed 2 inches away from a pointy rock that would've been much worse), I decided to take the plunge and try to ride with a full face lid. I picked up a Specialized Deviant which weighs in at 857grams and now have a few rides w/ it. In contrast to my XC helmet, it's quite a bit hotter (despite the 21 vents) and it's slightly harder to drink from a camelback, but visibility is not impaired (sans visor), I still retain full range of motion, and it's light so it doesn't get in the way. I know it's totally overkill to ride xc w/ a full face, but when ripping down Kenosha at 28 mph, it's nice to know my noggin's well protected. just something to consider since it only takes a second to change your life forever

Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    I know it's totally overkill to ride xc w/ a full face, but when ripping down Kenosha at 28 mph, it's nice to know my noggin's well protected. just something to consider since it only takes a second to change your life forever
    Two people wore full face helmets and pads on our "XC" ride Saturday. It doesn't take much thought to consider what might happen if you face plant in a rock garden, XC or not. Rocks and trees are pretty much everywhere and even hitting dirt as Athaliah knows, ain't no picnic.

Ed

post-ride specialist
    Dude was wearing a full-face & plastic... and riding a SC Superlight...

post-ride specialist
    You have two weeks before I can ride...keep that in mind

bwwhahahahahaahaa

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    bwwhahahahahaahaa
    I'm tapering.

velocipede technician

Norcal invasion(be careful H)

jebus!

im telling V on you!
    looking for 20-21" P team

What he said. Though my experience is more clinical in nature, in the ICU, witn monitors and whatnot.

As many of us have reiterated here, don't **** around with a suspected head or neck injury. In hindsight, I wish I'd have ridden back to Hillary earlier in the day, though it initially sounded like she was just going to head down the dirt road and back to her car.

We could have gotten her out much earlier. Very important had her injury been worse. And that's the whole point: you just can't tell. Something may be nothing, but then, it may end up being something. Getting the rescue process started was the best thing the guys that were right with her did.

Ask Lidarman about his kidney sometime.

Let's just say that my knowledge is not so much academic as experiential, but here goes...

It is fairly common for a concussion to not initially manifest it's effects, as after the blow to the brain, the onset of tissue swelling occurs somewhat gradually. Each person has a different 'tolerance' for this swelling, and thus many people may have sustained concussions without ever having had symptoms; others manifest symptoms much more quickly. Once the synapses in the brain start to become compressed, a variety of symptoms can occur, depending on many factors.

Needless to say one needs to be very careful with injuries like this (any head injury, really). Subdural bleeds are also a potential outcome of blows to the head, the effects of which also are not immediately apparent in all cases, and are confirmed by CT and/or MRI.

It sounds like Hillary will be fine, and we need to make sure she's not back on her bike before she's gotten the go-ahead from her health care provider(s). Don't mess with head injuries, as you've suggested, they can be dire, and things can go downhill very quickly. Loss of conscious during/after the event is an important factor, so make sure to try and determine this if ever in such a situation in the future.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    I picked up a Specialized Deviant...
    If its very hot out and you need to pedal I replace the cheek pads in the Deviant with 1/4" closed cell foam covered with a piece of coolmax from an old tee shirt. This does reduce the amount of padding in the jawpiece but makes the Deviant just slightly hotter than an xc lid. I use the stock padding at Keystone for more protection. Sometimes the trade off is worth it because overheating isn't safe either. I've taken a few hits with the Deviant and it did really well.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Two people wore full face helmets and pads on our "XC" ride Saturday.

Ed
    I'm a slave to the full face and armor as my confidence suffers hugely when I'm not wearing it. I've been wearing knee pads on every ride since a crash in 1997 and I pre-ordered my first Switchblade several months before they became available (spring 98?). I've ridden with one ever since on "XC" rides. What I was wearing on Saturday was normal for me on anything other than a fireroad climb (where the stuff is on my back), or for lifting/freeriding (when I wear a Safety Jacket, a DH helmet and even more pads). Judging by the number of impressions/divots/scratches on all of my pads over the last 10 years, it has been totally worth the extra sweat!

Hillary, I'm very glad to see that the crash didn't effect your humor, and I'm looking forward to riding with you (and everyone else I met Saturday) again very soon (although, wait at least 2 weeks eh?).

mtbr member
    thanks for the tip davec, that's sounds like a better solution then what I did which was just removing them

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good to hear you are ok. Those cuncussions can be scary, my friend did a header a few years ago and did not even know where we were.......

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Lessons learned:

I will NEVER ride alone again. About 85% of the time I ride alone. I won't entertain what would have happened without the amazing people there; but I was lucky that I was with such wonderful, warm caring people.

I will always ride with an ID, insurance card, telephone numbers (or cell phone), and keys. When you whack your head really good it makes it hard to recall your parents numbers, or names for that matter. The key thing was my fault, I had grabbed the set of my biner I ususally carry when I commute (I drive about once a week). It would have made everything much easier if I had my phone because what I could not communicate could have been found there.

First aid and CPR certification would be a good idea.

Oh, and if you bring ground beef to a bbq don't let it fester in your trunk.
    Last edited by athalliah; 07-03-2007 at 08:36 AM.

post-ride specialist
    also an assortment of passports, 3 throwing knives.

Your retarded
    ... two Nancy Drew Mystery books, four small linoleum tiles, and a pasta strainer. You just never know.

try to not let this scare you too much, especially scare you into never riding alone. if you are really worried, when solo, stick to stuff you have cell reception on. or at the very least let someone know the when and where.

that's just one step away from sitting on the couch with daytime t.v. in you fuzzy bunny slippers and bathrobe, while sucking in pork rinds...

i always carry the cell, even if i don't get reception. just in case. best thing though is that jenny has me trained to call or e-mail her as to where i'm headed/when likely to be home. particularly on the weekdays when trails are less crowded/i'm somewhere really empty, and i may end up in the dirt for a while before someone finds me...

this is also why so many of us end up carrying huge riding packs. lotsa' stuff in there for those "oh ****" times.

Lessons learned:

I will NEVER ride alone again. About 85% of the time I ride alone. I won't entertain what would have happened without the amazing people there; but I was lucky that I was with such wonderful, warm caring people.

I will always ride with an ID, insurance card, telephone numbers (or cell phone), and keys. When you whack your head really good it makes it hard to recall your parents numbers, or names for that matter. The key thing was my fault, I had grabbed the set of my biner I ususally carry when I commute (I drive about once a week). It would have made everything much easier if I had my phone because what I could not communicate could have been found there.

First aid and CPR certification would be a good idea.

Oh, and if you bring ground beef to a bbq don't let it fester in your trunk.

J\V
    mtbr member
    Lessons learned:

I will NEVER ride alone again...

...I will always ride with an ID, insurance card, telephone numbers (or cell phone), and keys.

The best $20 I ever spent on cycling gear, and I never saddle up without it:

http://roadid.com/

Outcast
    try to not let this scare you too much, especially scare you into never riding alone.
    Ditto what Scrublover says here. If you let fear dictate what activities you will or won't engage in, you will sit at home in front of the TV with your fuzzy slippers, etc. for the rest of your life. That is no way to live.
    Think of it this way:
    This incident is over with, so to speak. You survived it, perhaps you'll learn from it, but most importantly, statistically speaking, the odds of it happening again are very low.
    When I ride alone [which is 99% of the time] or when I use to rock climb solo, ropeless, I don't go all out, and I operate in a different headspace. The experience involves getting back home intact, so a different set of operating rules apply. Not going all out doesn't lessen the experience, because the doing it solo aspect heightens the experience for me.
    FWIW, all my major injuries from outdoor activities happened with plenty of people around, never solo.
    I did seriously reconsider risk activities after breaking my femur in 1993. It screwed with my head for a while, but eventually I resumed rock climbing, MTB riding, DH riding. and motorcycling again.
    Risk is part of life. Trying to avoid risk is slow death. Just my opinion.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Woah...who said anything about not riding anymore? Perhaps saying that was a tad rash...I've been sitting around too much these past few days with little to do but think. I don't have a problem with riding local trails post-work - okay I take it back. Just no more taking off into the backwoods alone.

Outcast
    Woah...who said anything about not riding anymore? .
    I was speaking about solo riding.

mtbr member
    I'll admit this thread/your experience makes me think. Sourdough and others in the area are what I ride on a regular basis, 99.5% alone on weeknights. Not exactly a highway of other users. There is NO cellie coverage up there, not that I'd actually carry one. Personal preference, good on ya if you carry one.
    I tell my wife where I'm riding, how long, etc. but hell, makes ya think. I also generally ride as someone who's riding alone, ie. not hell bent. Ah well, what can you do?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

i always carry the cell, even if i don't get reception. just in case.
    If you are going somewhere without coverage, make sure that your phone is fully charged! I had 2 bars when I left the house on Saturday, but it was fully flat when we got back down to coverage (Lyons). I've noticed that before too--without coverage, my battery loses charge 2-3 times as fast as with coverage. It must be searching for a signal or something.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    mmm pink fuzzy bunny slippers...bon bons...percocet...soap operas...throwing knives...pasta strainer...

MFin' Princess
    mmm pink fuzzy bunny slippers...bon bons...percocet...soap operas...throwing knives...pasta strainer...
    I go out of town for a few days and you go get yourself into all kinds of trouble.

Glad you're doing alright. Reschedule for Friday, two weeks out?

What Rene said; don't stop riding solo.

All my worst mess ups have been when with other riders, too. When solo, I think most of us tend to scale things back a notch or so. Sure, **** can still happen,but it's less likely if you ride smart. Save the stupid bike tricks for when you have an audience.

Woah...who said anything about not riding anymore? Perhaps saying that was a tad rash...I've been sitting around too much these past few days with little to do but think. I don't have a problem with riding local trails post-work - okay I take it back. Just no more taking off into the backwoods alone.

trail rat
    What a pretty place to fall down.
    This one got me! All twisted emotions - laughing and crying. As a fellow MTB rider who has had some medical mishaps along the way.

Just a reminder of how such every day, bike and nature loving people are real life heroes, every one of you!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    I go out of town for a few days and you go get yourself into all kinds of trouble.

Glad you're doing alright. Reschedule for Friday, two weeks out?
    Yes, we will ride and it shall be awesome.

Who said Punisher?

Just reading this for the first time...

Well everyone, sorry a good bit of time has passed, but just reading all this for the first time since we were all up at Sourdough. Again great job up there helping out. I spent Saturday night with Hillary in Fraser after Crankworks at the local rodeo in laughter as children attempted Mutton Busting. If you have never seen this, check it out sometime--it makes a fun night for all. Anyway, I am happy to know that I have fellow riders out there that will stand by me if I ever need them. Great meeting you Joe, Dave and Brian. Hope we can all ride again soon. I will be in Steamboat August 9th to 14th riding and have some longer rides up high planned--will advertise and see if it works out (WP, Salida, you get the gist). Glad you got your bike Joe! Lets here it for rubber side down--in fact those hockey helmets with the face guards the kids wear while riding the sheep at the rodeo have given me an idea....John

mtbr member
    My blood sugar was around 30 when I entered the Trauma I center
    Wow - BG of 30? I've seen someone having seizures at that level! Was that a result of the fall or are you a diabetic?
    Last edited by skiahh; 07-12-2007 at 07:14 PM.

the cool nerd

"You know sportsman cleared the whole thing."

that would motivate me too, you know, cuz if I can do it, anyone should be able to do it
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

Rolling
    Wow, the things I miss when I go on travel.

Sorry I wan't there athalliah. If I had been on that ride with Scrub, I would have taken the injury for ya instead!

Glad all worked out in the end.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    If you are going somewhere without coverage, make sure that your phone is fully charged! I had 2 bars when I left the house on Saturday, but it was fully flat when we got back down to coverage (Lyons). I've noticed that before too--without coverage, my battery loses charge 2-3 times as fast as with coverage. It must be searching for a signal or something.
    That is exactly what is happening. But if you can't get coverage, just turn it off.

Semper Ardens

Hack the RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    That is exactly what is happening. But if you can't get coverage, just turn it off.
    That works - if you remember to do so. For anybody using Motorola's RAZR and Verizon there is the option to turn EVDO off. That did the trick for me. My phone now lasts for days, even when going in and out of service areas. Instructions here: Disable EVDO on Verizon. Of course, implementing this hack is at everybody's own risk.
    When you come to a rock, ride over it!

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Alternatively, your phone gives off a "ping" of some sort whether or not you have coverage. I would say that it makes more sense to have a fully charged, turned on phone if anyone is looking for you since search and rescue MIGHT be able to find you via the phone.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Alternatively, your phone gives off a "ping" of some sort whether or not you have coverage. I would say that it makes more sense to have a fully charged, turned on phone if anyone is looking for you since search and rescue MIGHT be able to find you via the phone.

That reminds me. A few weeks ago I called 911 after witnessing a car accident. My phone went into some emergency mode automatically and locked me out of the ability to use the menu system, presumably so that the authorities could use the GPS functionality or whatever.

I was able to get it out of that mode easily but is was interesting what happens when you call 911 from a cell.

post-ride specialist
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    that would motivate me too, you know, cuz if I can do it, anyone should be able to do it

Actually I lied, you didn't... but they did.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike1
    . If she had the certificate, there is no charge and they say, "Thanks for supporting our program."

Close but not quite you have to jump through some hoops. The responding rescue group has their Sheriff's office bill you, you then submit the bill with your CRC card to the Sheriff's office who then submits it to some state agency that does something else with it. They then reimburse the rescue group with money for damaged equipment and gas but not man hours. If you were grossly negligent in getting you self in to said trouble then you may still wind up with the bill.

Also unless you run into trouble in Clear Creek Canyon and are rescued by Golden Fire you most likely will not get billed even if you don't have a CRC card.

MFin' Princess
    Yes, we will ride and it shall be awesome.
    Hey girlie ... how's the recuperation? And more importantly, when are we riding?

enlightened.
    Dec 2005

status quo, sorta.

ďIf you hit your head again, you will dieĒ

These were the exact words of my physician at my follow-up appointment this past Tuesday. With a severe concussion if you have another within an overlap period of the first concussion your brain swells up like a balloon and kills you. Awesome. So closely following her advice, I will not be riding again until July 21st. My first ride after the accident will be in Crested Butte as I have a wedding to attend that weekend. After I return from CB Iíll be down for all sorts of riding.

Noticing my mental degradation post-concussion has been disturbing at the least. Last week I walked right out in front of a car. I felt like I had a massive hangover for five days straight. I dropped an open pocket knife on the floor nearly impaling my bare foot. I was extremely irritable last week and people were the bane of my existence. Dropping objects and a general lack of coordination are standard now. Last week I slept more than a cat. Finding words is a struggle, for example, last week I couldnít remember ďpilotĒ. I returned to work on Tuesday and have had numerous stupid moments where I just canít remember how to do something; gazing at my computer blankly trying to recall simple tasks. I called up my bank to dispute a charge that I misread. I almost fell down my stairs today. Last week I would forget entire conversations, now mostly details slip through my sieve-like brain. Add this to missed time at work and an encroaching deadline and you have one busy, confused girl.

I'd like to thank everyone who has expressed concern, I've been touched by your words. Thank you.

Oh and Iím sure all of you CSR card folks are dying to know what Iíve been charged for all this. Not telling. Thatís my business, if you want to find out you go take a ride in a helicopter.

MFin' Princess
    Wow. I had no idea it was that serious. Very glad you're on the mend. Take your time recovering, and have lots of fun in CB. Despite the whole wedding thing.

velocipede technician
    come back to cali, we'll keep you safe

you could smack vee around....

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    TVC- thanks. I'm becoming smarter everyday The wedding is really just an excuse to go to CB. We're on to ride when I get back. I'll be s-l-o-w.

Hollister - Miss you guys - and Santa Cruz so much. Give Vee a love tap for me. I'll be out there to visit soon enough - maybe in November?? I'm trying to get sent out there for work...we've three offices in NorCal.

mtbr member

i've fallen and i can't get up!

Last week I walked right out in front of a car. I felt like I had a massive hangover for five days straight. I dropped an open pocket knife on the floor nearly impaling my bare foot. I was extremely irritable last week and people were the bane of my existence. Dropping objects and a general lack of coordination are standard now. Last week I slept more than a cat. Finding words is a struggle, for example, last week I couldnít remember ďpilotĒ. I returned to work on Tuesday and have had numerous stupid moments where I just canít remember how to do something; gazing at my computer blankly trying to recall simple tasks. I called up my bank to dispute a charge that I misread. I almost fell down my stairs today. Last week I would forget entire conversations, now mostly details slip through my sieve-like brain.
    you sure you're not just getting old like some of the rest of us?

(seriously though, glad to see you've got your wits and perspective about this all. be sure to heed your doctor's advice.)

P.S.
    if you do go back to SC, can you maybe smuggle back one of hollister's bontragers for me? preferably one of the older, rarer ones. he won't even miss it! thanks...
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    if you do go back to SC, can you maybe smuggle back one of hollister's bontragers for me? preferably one of the older, rarer ones. he won't even miss it! thanks...
    grrrrrrr

keep you eye's peeled, should have some really interesting posts in the coming weeks

Preemptive Revenger
    I'm trying to get sent out there for work...we've three offices in NorCal.
    You are accidentally walking out in front of cars, and you think you can be trusted at an airport?

Actually, joking aside, your symptoms do sound just like common everyday aging. But what do I know, I'm just a babe in the woods...anybody with a little experience in this area care to weigh in?
    Last edited by rapwithtom; 07-13-2007 at 06:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0