mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Green Mountain Bike Park??

Does anyone think that Green Mountain could be a great spot for Lakewood Parks to build a bike park like the one in Eagle Idaho??

Check out these links:
    http://www.idahovelopark.org/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/20570/

I would think this would be an awesome addition for the Denver Metro area-- it could even take heat off Apex -- I mean you could also have a DH type trail (not like super steep crazy but maybe directional w/ terrain built challenge and berms-- you know -- training type terrain) that you could hike up for

I mean could something like this be possible

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    at least what did you think of the links??--

mtbr member
    not a bad idea, i think it would attract a lot of people. having bike park and regular bike trails in one spot would create a whole new bike mekka for bikers from all around. i could see a few spots where to place the park. please let me know if you decide to pursue this idea.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pmrider
    Does anyone think that Green Mountain could be a great spot for
    I mean could something like this be possible
    Of course anything is possible. Although, the rule of thumb is that if you can think about it, it's probably already been done. I'm quite sure bike parks along the front range has been researched thoroughly by others and I would encourage you to contact them and find out what problems they ran into.

That said, having frequented Green Mtn. on a regular basis some 15 years ago I can tell you that there would be considerable challenges.

Below would be a list of my initial concerns as a land manager.

1. Is Green Mtn. under conservation easement?
    2. If so, what are the restrictions placed on the property?
    3. Are there any deed restrictions?
    4. Who's going to pay for it? If the project costs $250K, can you come up with a 30% cash match and find a sponsor for a GOCO grant?
    5. Who's going to maintain it? You're proposing building a high maintenance trail system but asking the city/county to maintain it on their current budget. Probably won't go over very well in the current economic climate.
    6. Do you have an advocacy group to support it. Public pressure against such a park from the dog lovers and hikers will be enormous. Are you prepared to stand in front of them in public meetings and face criticism without blowing a fuse?

Best of Luck!
    UT

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good stuff- thanks guys-- I hope to get more involved this summer w/ COMBA and the other local groups so I can do my part and be a involved w/ this kinda stuff.
    I just keep hearing about the DH'ers in the area pushing jeffco for a shuttle run-- but this bike park thing seems like a good first step and something the community can benefit from. I am hopeful Valmont park in Boulder is a huge success-- it would be great to have something like that close to us to use as an example.

Any other thoughts or knowledge on the subject would be great

--- stay warm this weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmrider
    Does anyone think that Green Mountain could be a great spot for Lakewood Parks to build a bike park like the one in Eagle Idaho??

No.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    pmrider, I think its a great idea. Of course, peeps like the nurse mtber above doesn't think so. But don't let that get you down. Live the dream!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Stand back
    Biggest downside would be the expansive soil that makes the place unrideable when wet.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN
    No.
    Wow, such a convincing argument, how could anybody disagree?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    there is another park close to Green Mountain that has had plans for a baseball field for years. The local residents are gainst it
    www.savecoyotegulch.org

My guess is that they would be even more against a proposal like this (but who knows?). One of their concerns is an attraction bringing in too many people from "outside the neighborhood".

I think there might be some deed restrictions to the property as well. The hayden family deeded this property a while ago with the intent it be used as a park. I'm not sure what specific conditions were placed on the land, but there could be something.

I can't ride 45!
    Green Mountain is a tough sell to the City of Lakewood, but that doesn't rule out other properties in the vicinity. There are people in the Front Range exploring these opportunities with Lakewood and other land managers. Volunteering for a local bicycle advocacy organization is a good place to start if you want to be involved with like-minded folk working on these types of projects.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Biggest downside would be the expansive soil that makes the place unrideable when wet.

ehh - ya-- that would be factor as it would be nice to have it ridable even when it gets soggy-- as for location on the mountain I always thought the west, south west side would be good so as to be away from the residential houses. Well thanks again for the thoughts --
    I guess this summer getting involved w/ the local clubs will get me the more specific answers about property deeds and land manager relationships.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Maybe you could talk to the folks across the street at Thunder Valley? motorcycle park and that could become a dual purpose park and bring in more users and revenue for the whole facility, they have the equipment to build trails just not sure if they would entertain the idea.

just a thought...

I always thought GM would be a great location for some sort of a 24 hr. event or possibly bear creek.?

I like the possibilities of both!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

skillz to pay billz
    see, boulder(valmont bike park) ain't so bad after all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Maybe you could talk to the folks across the street at Thunder Valley? motorcycle park and that could become a dual purpose park and bring in more users and revenue for the whole facility, they have the equipment to build trails just not sure if they would entertain the idea.

just a thought...

I always thought GM would be a great location for some sort of a 24 hr. event or possibly bear creek.?

Thunder Valley is owned by the City of Lakewood and leased to the Motorcycle Track

Green Mountain is owned by the City of lakewood, probably with an Open Space reverter clause on the deeds. This is used in situations when Jefferson County Open Space asists cities with purchasing property. The property is sometimes deeded to the City by the private owner. Then the City deeds the land to the County. Then the County deeds it back to the City with an open space reverter clause. What this claus says that if the land is used for any other purpose than Open Space, title to it reverts back to the County.

Bear Creek Lake Park is actualy owned by the US Army Corps of Engineers leased long-term to the City of Lakewood.

I also think Bear Creek Lake Park would be a good spot for a 24 hour race FWIW.
    Last edited by hardtail05; 12-21-2008 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member

Good job! you are not alone in this quest

please see this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478384

(or as referenced in the above, this post)

can we count on you to join us, pmrider?

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

drinks from the fountain
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Thunder Valley?

The Big Crank guys used to have a slalom course there.
    So maybe a possibility. Depends on land managers of course.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    please see this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478384

(or as referenced in the above, this post)

can we count on you to join us, pmrider?

Yes- absolutly- I just looked in my email and got my password to vote

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nope hopefully won't happen there but, but over beside Thunder Alley would be nice and integrated with a skate park would be pretty cool.

Pay to play and maybe Thunder Valley Motopark , Inc. would possibly build it for free. Of course, not enough people would want to pay....

mtbr member
    As much as I think a skatepark and dedicated mountain bike park would be unbelieveable at Green Mountain, you can cross off Thunder Valley off the list. Insurance plays a huge part in maintaining and building a "sports park". Huge hurdles exist. It would be better to build it on Zorro than Thunder Valley.

Erik

Members who have read this thread: 0