mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Golden Ride Recommendations

A buddy and I will be going on a climbing trip to CO in July. We will be staying in the Golden Gate State Park for a few days. I'm trying to find some good riding as well as some maps to go along with the trails. I notice there is some riding in the state park and I am sure we will check it out. Anything else in the area that we should check out? We're mainly looking for some XC riding. He is still new to mtb and has a hardtail so I don't wanna put him through anything crazy. Thanx!

mtbr member

Cone

There will be some climbing but the Cone has some very nice single track and isn't too technical.

Centennial Cone Park - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

mtbr member
    Mtn Lion trail in Golden Gate SP is a short but challenging and fun (both technically and physically). You make a loop of it with the Mule trail. Just make sure you ride the loop clockwise. The rest of the trails in GGSP are just OK, but Mtn Lion is an uncrowded gem.

It's not a beginner's ride, so your friend might find it frustrating but I think you can both have fun on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    There will be some climbing but the Cone has some very nice single track and isn't too technical.

This is what you were looking for, it is a workout but few techy sections and a lot of fun flowy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by plyward View Post
    A buddy and I will be going on a climbing trip to CO in July. We will be staying in the Golden Gate State Park for a few days. I'm trying to find some good riding as well as some maps to go along with the trails. I notice there is some riding in the state park and I am sure we will check it out. Anything else in the area that we should check out? We're mainly looking for some XC riding. He is still new to mtb and has a hardtail so I don't wanna put him through anything crazy. Thanx!
    There's a secret stash of stuff right there next to the park, if you know where to look or are adventurous enough to find it. You wouldn't even have to get in the car. Just know where the private land border is or you'll get shot for claim jumping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post

Sweet! I will check it out. Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
    Mtn Lion trail in Golden Gate SP is a short but challenging and fun (both technically and physically). You make a loop of it with the Mule trail. Just make sure you ride the loop clockwise. The rest of the trails in GGSP are just OK, but Mtn Lion is an uncrowded gem.

It's not a beginner's ride, so your friend might find it frustrating but I think you can both have fun on it.
    Mt Lion trail is the one I had read a little about. I didn't know about making it a loop with Mule. Thanx for the tip. Uncrowded sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    There's a secret stash of stuff right there next to the park, if you know where to look or are adventurous enough to find it. You wouldn't even have to get in the car. Just know where the private land border is or you'll get shot for claim jumping.
    I don't think I'm adventurous enough to try it but thanx for the heads up!

Thanx for all the replies guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think I've got a bit of riding figured out for our days we don't climb. Golden Gate State Park has some nice trails, Mountain Lion being the one we're going to focus on. We're going to do the loop at Centennial Cone Park. And we're also going to do Apex Park. I've got maps/topos printed for each place. I'm very excited to hit some trails! Thanx for the help guys!

mtbr member
    from GG you can ride (up) to White Ranch, which would be closer than Apex (and you don't have to worry about what day of the week it is).

$.02
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hopefully all these places will be cool for a HT setup. I just broke my frame on my FS and am looking at a Gary Fisher HT 29er.

Thread Terrorist
    you can always come down to Golden and rent a few bikes from the Golden Bike Shop. Lots of riding around here. Where are you climbing?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

White Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt View Post
    from GG you can ride (up) to White Ranch, which would be closer than Apex (and you don't have to worry about what day of the week it is).

$.02
    I agree. Dont bother going down to Golden just bike out out of your camping site right to White Ranch. Plenty of trails and options to have a good day.

not actually bad :)
    Since your buddy is a newer rider, just ride the bike trails at GGSP. It's higher and cooler, which you will be thankful for in July, and they are all fun and scenic, and way less crowded. All the trails are XC, and he can walk whatever he needs to on Mtn Lion - just be sure to do the loop the fun way (CW->DOWN Mtn Lion).
    If you get bored there, I would drive to the upper White Ranch lot - the ride over isn't far but it's a dirt road, and a lung buster climb stretch in there - you can save a little time and have more time to actually ride on some fun trails, instead of wasting that time riding on a dirt road.
    Another one I don't think you would want to miss that will be close is West Mag near Nederland.
    Like IE asked, where will you be climbing?
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    My guess - they're climbing in GGCSP.

not actually bad :)
    Well, your guesses are usually spot on.
    And I am sure you are correct.
    But, never hurts to axe.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    We're going to be climbing in Clear Creek Canyon, Shelf Road, and my buddy knows of some climbing out by the Coors factory. Going to be doing TR and sport climbs out there. If you know of some spots that are 5.10a and lower lemme know!

p.s. Here's a shot of the new ride!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    If you come to Colorado for a climbing vacation and climb at North Table you deserve a kick in the nuts.

mtbr member
    Yeah you should look into climbing Eldorado Canyon State Park.

mtbr member
    maybe he is talking about south table.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    If you come to Colorado for a climbing vacation and climb at North Table you deserve a kick in the nuts.
    For all you know I'm into that

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Srsly. Eldo, Boulder Canyon, Lumpy... just don't do N. Table.

You actually might deserve a nut-kick for climbing in Clear Creek.

mtbr member
    To really avoid a ball kicking you could look into climbing in Rocky Mountain National Park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was looking on Mountain Project. Clear Creek has the most moderate sport climbs that I've seen so far. I'm for sure open to suggestions!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Elevenmile Canyon has some pretty nice moderate sport-type climbs.

mtbr member
    If you like limestone, you'll like Shelf Road, and there's some pretty decent riding that's not in any guidebooks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntmboy View Post
    If you like limestone, you'll like Shelf Road, and there's some pretty decent riding that's not in any guidebooks
    Any beta on the riding in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Elevenmile Canyon has some pretty nice moderate sport-type climbs.
    Thanx for the tip! I'm looking into it right now on MP. Any suggestions on guidebooks?

Members who have read this thread: 0