mtbr member
    Apr 2004

GF needs mtn bike

Well the GF wants to learn to mtnbike after a half lifetime as a roadie.
    So, anyone have any leads on a low priced used or new full suspension mtnbike near Denver? Places to look other than mtbr, craigs lists or ebay? Looking for a frame for someone around 5'1"?

Thanks much.
    -pg

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg
    So, anyone have any leads on a low priced used or new full suspension mtnbike near Denver? Places to look other than mtbr, craigs lists or ebay? Looking for a frame for someone around 5'1"?

Thanks much.
    -pg
    I've got a '98 Proflex 856 in pretty good shape that I'd sell for $300 fully built (mostly XT) - size 15. Great bike, just old technology

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I've got a '98 Proflex 856 in pretty good shape that I'd sell for $300 fully built (mostly XT) - size 15. Great bike, just old technology
    I've never seen a Proflex. However, 15" might still be too big for someone with a 28" inseam ... not me, the GF.

-pg

Perpetually single track
    I'm a 27 inch inseam, and road a 16.5 for my first bike(granted it was a touch big). If you're looking for smaller than that, good luck. Seriously. Not too many makers of full size mtb's go smaller than that. Titus and Jamis go pretty small, can't think of any others off hand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    I'm a 27 inch inseam, and road a 16.5 for my first bike(granted it was a touch big). If you're looking for smaller than that, good luck. Seriously. Not too many makers of full size mtb's go smaller than that. Titus and Jamis go pretty small, can't think of any others off hand.
    That helps ..... I reckon that means I'm looking for a 15-16" bike for the girlie.

-pg

Cynical Bystander
    That helps ..... I reckon that means I'm looking for a 15-16" bike for the girlie.

-pg
    Could always just go check out some bikes at a shop that are fairly cheap or whatever fits your budget. Plus that way she'd get to try several different kinds and see what fit her best as well as which ones rode best. I dunno, just a thought.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

NedwannaB

Might have one!

-pg
    PM me for some more info if you like.-J

dwj
    mtbr member

-pg

specialized and santa cruz both make womens specific frames in the 14.5" and smaller range. i believe alot of other manufactures do as well, but finding a used one that fits her needs might be hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dwj
    specialized and santa cruz both make womens specific frames in the 14.5" and smaller range. i believe alot of other manufactures do as well, but finding a used one that fits her needs might be hard.
    That's the big problem here. Don't want to spend the cash for a quality bike until I know she'll ride. And don't want to put her on a bike that'll make her hate mtn biking. Unlike most guys if a chick crashes or has a bad experience she'll probably not want to do it again. I suppose that's a sweeping generalization but its quite true. I personally think road biking is more dangerous.
    -pg

Time is not a road.
    I have a M Schwinn Rocket 88 that might fit her. The TT could be a bit long, I'll measure it tonight, but with a short stem, that wouldn't be too much of an issue.

The standover should be fine, my GF rode it, she's 5'4" (she has long legs, short torso).

It's just a frame with seatpost, but I have an older fork and the original wheels, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I have a M Schwinn Rocket 88 that might fit her. The TT could be a bit long, .....
    Sure! standover height is what I'm most concerned with. The GF's inseam is 26-27" so something like that in standover. Perhaps you could put a coupla old wheels on to see where the top tube ends up?
    Thanks much.

-pg

locked - time out
    Pete - looks like the standover on the ProFlex is right at 28" - also, the frame is actually a 14", not a 15" like I told you earlier. Not sure if it makes a difference to you , but it might be worth noting that many FS bike do not have the same standover clearance that their hardtail counterparts do. Let me know if you think that this might work for you girlfriend.

Josh

mtbr member
    Schwinn Mesa GSD hard tail with Hayes Mech disc brakes at Performance starting tomorrow for $289.00.

Give it a look:
    http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=417

Sale starts tomorrow:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=19660
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the Performance beta!
    Overall, thanks to all for the advice and bike offers. This is a short girl and finding the right sized bike looks to be difficult at best.

-pete g.

mtbr member
    The 15" Schwinn (smallest frame available) would probably be a bit tall for her.

Check the Jamis line...my wife is 5'4" and rides a 13" Dakar very comfortably. I also found and built up a 12" Jamis Eureka frame for my son...he was 10 at the time and it he just barely fit it. Now he's going on 12 and he's got a few years room to grow on it.

Last edited by bikeCOLORADO; 03-02-2005 at 10:22 AM.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Tame the Penguin!

'04 Jamis Dakar XC Pro 13"

Thanks much.
    -pg
    Peteg,

Sounds like the Jamis Dakar XC Pro 13" is the frame for her:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/04_xc_pro.html#
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_xc_pro.html#

standover 27.38"

Mountain High Cyclery in Loveland had one in stock that they sold to a woman that was 5"1 with a 27.5" inseam and it fit her perfect with a 90mm stem.

--Beast

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Finding a suitable bike is much harder than I thought. Just if we were all one size.
    -pg