Getting kinda crowded here. Get paid $10600 to move elsewhere.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Getting kinda crowded here. Get paid $10600 to move elsewhere.

Been getting crowded here in the front range. Get paid $10600 to move to the "Mtb Capitol of the World", Bentonville AR. It's just the other side of Kansas from here, Toto. An 11 hr drive according to Google maps. Quite a few other attractions there too, like the Walmart Museum for example.

https://findingnwa.com/incentive/
    Last edited by Lone Rager; 1 Week Ago at 04:03 PM.
    What, me worry?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    How much are you getting paid to move? Iím looking for a decimal point. Iíve placed my own decimal point here and there and have yet to see enough coin to get me to make that change.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Bentonville is paying people who qualify $10,000 cash and 600 toward a new bike. Check the link.

I can't move yet (waiting on the mother in law to expire) and beyond that, I don't qualify for the Bentonville deal, but I will be moving somewhere when the time comes.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I see a tiny house in my future, do I have to get a job?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Motocrosser gone mtb
    600 not enough towards a new bike, what do they want you to ride a schwinn.

Formerly of Kent
    But youíd have to live in Arkansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxcobra View Post
    600 not enough towards a new bike, what do they want you to ride a schwinn.
    You can get a lot of bike for $600 at Walmart.

mtbr member
    Well you could spend the whole $10,600 on a new bike. Damn, seems like there's no takers.
    What, me worry?

Cycologist
    Does the the Walmart Museum have a People of Walmart exhibit?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    IDK. Reminds me of time ~45 years ago I was doing a multi-day motorcycle trip and happened through Kemmerer WY, a very small town toward the southwest corner of the state. Turns out that's where JC Penney's was founded. Population now is less than 3k. IDK if they have a museum there. I don't think they're paying people to relocate there either.
    What, me worry?

Motocrosser gone mtb
    Arkansas doesn't evan have a mtbr forum room, that alone may get me kinda lost....
    Last edited by mxcobra; 1 Week Ago at 06:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    AR is lumped in with a number of other states. Quite a few posts about AR and Bentonville though.

https://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-mi...l-fl-ms-la-ar/
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Who crowned Walmart-town as "Mtb Capitol of the World"? Decent trails, not world class, almost mediocre on average.

I can think of a handful of other places that ranks way higher that deserves that title.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Who crowned Walmart-town as "Mtb Capitol of the World"?...
    Those of us trying to get Texans, Arizonans, etc.. to go there instead of move to CO?

(Just kidding of course. Some of my best friends are Texan. Heck, my dad was born in TX.)
    What, me worry?

Oh, So Interesting!
    $100k and $6k for a bike might do it.

All fat, all the time.
    Please let California know that they can move there instead of Idaho. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Who crowned Walmart-town as "Mtb Capitol of the World"? Decent trails, not world class, almost mediocre on average.

I can think of a handful of other places that ranks way higher that deserves that title.
    Bentonville crowned themselves, so take that for what it's worth... nothing. That said, they've managed to generate quite a bit of discussion and exposure by doing it, which was probably the goal of the whole campaign to begin with.

It's kind of like Winter Park calling themselves Mountain Bike Capital, USA.... totally inaccurate and 100% pointless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've been there. Not worthy of a guys trip, but worthy of a family trip. Fun place, we will go back. I would not go on a guys trip there, I'd still go to Coastal BC.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    $100k and $6k for a bike might do it.
    NFW. Not even for 100K.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    How long do I need to live there for, would a weekend in our camper be sufficient?
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The video for this was shot in Arkansas next to Shadow Lake... just sayin'

The only reply to a fool is silence

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My uncle used to live in that general area. We stopped at a tackle shop in Bentonville before going fishing and I commented to the check out guy that I thought the area was pretty. He said, "yeah, it's hard to find a good white town anymore."

This was in the late 90's, maybe times have changed? Anyway, what I've seen of their trails it looks like everything is machine built with the only challenges coming from intermediate level built features. Most skilled riders are going to get bored fast. They have little vertical too. It looks like they stretch their vert with excessive switchbacks. I hate that style of trail building. Flattening out 400' of vert to make the DH longer doesn't make that 400' feel bigger. The humidity in that part of the country is bonkers. It's pretty much deep south levels of humidity meaning you'll start sweating on the drive to the trailhead with the AC blowing in your face. There's nothing appealing about Bentonville. If the free bike comes from Walmart I would ask for a gun instead. Yes I'm saying I would kill myself. Shotgun to the dic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    ...levels of humidity meaning you'll start sweating on the drive to the trailhead with the AC blowing in your face...
    Holy cow! I had forgotten about that. We visited Muskogee OK, (maybe 75 miles from Bentonville) in Jul/Aug sometime back in the early 80's for an event. We walked out of the airport terminal, hit the hot humid air and literally felt like we couldn't breathe. We were outdoors all day long and kinda got used to drinking lemonade not stop and just being drenched in sweat. After 3 or 4 days, it was nbd (we were young and skinny)...but riding would be another matter entirely.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    .....Anyway, what I've seen of their trails it looks like everything is machine built with the only challenges coming from intermediate level built features. Most skilled riders are going to get bored fast. They have little vertical too. It looks like they stretch their vert with excessive switchbacks. I hate that style of trail building. Flattening out 400' of vert to make the DH longer doesn't make that 400' feel bigger. The humidity in that part of the country is bonkers. It's pretty much deep south levels of humidity meaning you'll start sweating on the drive to the trailhead with the AC blowing in your face. There's nothing appealing about Bentonville. If the free bike comes from Walmart I would ask for a gun instead. Yes I'm saying I would kill myself. Shotgun to the dic!
    I'm from the south (used to live in the north), and the first year here, the humidity was unbearable. Now, it doesn't faze me one bit. Just bring more water and a dry towel for after ride wipe down.
    But back to the trails, you're right about Walmart-town's trails, all machine built flow trails with man made features, and you're riding through someone's back yard! Spent a weekend there once, was a total let down. It was so over hyped in the media and even on this forum, it was nothing like I expected. I've ridden CO, UT, CA, MI, TN and Pisgah. I was expecting it to be at least like Asheville/Pisgah. Wouldn't go back. Have friends who love those kind of trails though and they've gone back a few times.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Holy cow! I had forgotten about that. We visited Muskogee OK, (maybe 75 miles from Bentonville) in Jul/Aug sometime back in the early 80's for an event. We walked out of the airport terminal, hit the hot humid air and literally felt like we couldn't breathe. We were outdoors all day long and kinda got used to drinking lemonade not stop and just being drenched in sweat. After 3 or 4 days, it was nbd (we were young and skinny)...but riding would be another matter entirely.
    We are spoiled with our low humidity. I grew up in very humid environments. I took up riding in WNC. People in that region (Asheville) like to say they have lower humidity than surrounding areas. That's a fact, but it's still crazy humid. Arkansas is why people in WNC say their humidity isn't bad. It's all relative. The humidity in WNC is crazy no matter what locals say. It's 5x worse in Arkansas with higher average temps.

Another thing about that environment that's not specific to Bentonville, is downed trees. Because the riding environment is all woods, you deal with lots of downed trees, random branches in the trail or just encroaching enough to grab your bars. CO riders dont' know what that's like. Yes we have blow downs but it's nothing like the deep woods of WNC, Bentonville.... Down trees, and "woods litter" (everything associated with trees that falls to the ground) can be really annoying. Just about everyone will have some sort of crash associated with woods litter at some point be it in the form or sticks in the spokes/drivetrain, downed tree in a blind corner, hidden branch that grabs you..... When I moved to CO I loved the low humidity, and relative lack of any woods litter/downed trees. I miss a lot about the Pisgah, but then I think about the humidity, and woods litter. They are crowded these days too. At least Bentonville hasn't become overrun, but that's for a reason. Bentonville ain't WNC. WNC has blown up for a reason. The Pisgah is legit by any rider's standards.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bummer to hear WNC is getting crowded there too but I don't think there's anywhere that isn't true. Some places are just building more trail while others are stuck in paralysis by analysis (*cough* JeffCo *cough*).

And it seems like the big takeaway here is that the riding in Bentonville is over-hyped. Guess I'll bump it further down the road trip list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    Bummer to hear WNC is getting crowded there too but I don't think there's anywhere that isn't true. Some places are just building more trail while others are stuck in paralysis by analysis (*cough* JeffCo *cough*).
    That's not my experience.... I think it just depends on what you choose to ride, and when (and how). Kind of like the Front Range, TBH. We were in Brevard a few weeks ago for a Chasing Epic trip, and the town seemed quiet and empty. We didn't see a single other person on the trails on the first and last day, and only a handful the two full days which was a Saturday/Sunday in Pisgah.

The other thing that helps in that area is directional trails; not "legally" directional, but not many are stupid enough to ride up a trail like Bennett or Middle Black.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pisgah from Brevard to Asheville to Old Fort is not crowded.

The parking lots are small and will fill up in the morning, but once on the trails, the people really spreads out and you won't see much of anyone all day.

mtbr member
    ...Another thing about that environment that's not specific to Bentonville, is downed trees. Because the riding environment is all woods, you deal with lots of downed trees, random branches in the trail or just encroaching enough to grab your bars. ..
    I kinda miss that about riding back east. You could be 50 yards from an apartment complex or shopping center and not know it because the woods are so dense. They even muffle the sound from roads and highways. I liked having to ride/hop over downed trees and negotiate tight spots...kept my bars relatively narrow. And it's constantly changing so you got to keep alert for new stuff encroaching on the trail.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I kinda miss that about riding back east. You could be 50 yards from an apartment complex or shopping center and not know it because the woods are so dense. They even muffle the sound from roads and highways. I liked having to ride/hop over downed trees and negotiate tight spots...kept my bars relatively narrow. And it's constantly changing so you got to keep alert for new stuff encroaching on the trail.
    I'm with you on that. There's just a down side to dense woodland that can be annoying. Eastern woods can't handle wind so what we call a blustery day could wreck a trail with blowdowns. When you can hop or turn them into cheese wedge jumps or skinnies it's fun. Too often you have to climb over, under, or go around them though. I'll take our open woodland and rocky terrain all day long.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Pisgah from Brevard to Asheville to Old Fort is not crowded.

The parking lots are small and will fill up in the morning, but once on the trails, the people really spreads out and you won't see much of anyone all day.
    We just have different standards for crowded I guess. When I lived near the southern Pisgah, and norther Pisgah too, it was all a backcountry experience. Now there's traffic jams getting in and out of the main entrance at Brevard. Northern Pisgah is still uncrowded compared to Brevard . Asheville's population has grown quiet a bit since I moved away. There's just more people period. It's far from crowded by front range standards, but it's not what it used to be. They've machined out some of their trails too. I could still live there, but it's tough to give up these mountains for an area that keeps increasing in population with a relatively small riding area. I used to think the Pisgah was so big. It's only big by east coast standards where large swaths of public lands are limited. By the time I moved I was ready for something new. Woods and more woods riding the same trails year after year can get old. I can only imagine Bentonville which is like only one section of the Sothern pisgah.

mtbr member
    We just have different standards for crowded I guess. When I lived near the southern Pisgah, and norther Pisgah too, it was all a backcountry experience. Now there's traffic jams getting in and out of the main entrance at Brevard. Northern Pisgah is still uncrowded compared to Brevard . Asheville's population has grown quiet a bit since I moved away. There's just more people period. It's far from crowded by front range standards, but it's not what it used to be. They've machined out some of their trails too. I could still live there, but it's tough to give up these mountains for an area that keeps increasing in population with a relatively small riding area. I used to think the Pisgah was so big. It's only big by east coast standards where large swaths of public lands are limited. By the time I moved I was ready for something new. Woods and more woods riding the same trails year after year can get old. I can only imagine Bentonville which is like only one section of the Sothern pisgah.
    No arguments with you there. One reason I love Pisgah is because it's so different than what we have out west, but I don't think I could ever live there because the style of riding is somewhat limited (although it's so much fun!).

Getting kinda crowded here.  Get paid 600 to move elsewhere.-brevard2020-16.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    Only things I miss about the east are the soil and the longer riding season.

Death from Below.

Cycologist
    I was riding this past Saturday (Georgia) and thinking how different it must be for westerners when they have the chance to ride through forests and have to worry about trees. I often pick a line right next to a tree when there's a bit of a techy climb and then have to dodge my handlebar around after my front tire has passed. Also had a guy taken out by a vine when he tried to pass me during a race many years ago.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Only things I miss about the east are the soil and the longer riding season.
    I moved from GA to Fort Collins in 1999. In no particular order, I miss the BBQ, roots, soil with moisture, canopy, southern accents.

I don't miss the humidity one bit. My parents live in South Carolina now and it is oppressive from May to September.

I have friends who have been to Bentonville, and they said it's fun for about three days. Super groomer apparently, but the town is really cool and progressive. I would like to check it out some time in the spring or fall. Maybe Outerbike.

The nice thing about Fort Collins is I ride to dirt from my house. It's pretty awesome. And I saw a Chasing Epic truck pass me on my way to Horsetooth Mountain Park Sunday on my bike, you were turning into the Blue Sky lot. You guys get around if you were in NC a few weeks ago!
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    And I saw a Chasing Epic truck pass me on my way to Horsetooth Mountain Park Sunday on my bike, you were turning into the Blue Sky lot. You guys get around if you were in NC a few weeks ago!
    Ha, that was me riding with my buddy in the afternoon.... I live down around Boulder. It was a looooong road trip out to Brevard last month!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You're right about the car traffic, it sucks getting out of the forest in Brevard on a sunny day. I was speaking more of when actually on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    No arguments with you there. One reason I love Pisgah is because it's so different than what we have out west, but I don't think I could ever live there because the style of riding is somewhat limited (although it's so much fun!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brevard2020-16.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	671.5 KB 
ID:	1377953
    Oh yeah, Pisgah is a special place. I learned to ride there in the late 90's on full rigid. I still have a taste for tech because of those days. I wish CO had more roots. I'm in the san juans now, I really don't belong on this forum. Southern CO has some roots I never found in other parts of CO, but Pisgah is on another level. Not sure how much time you got to spend in the northern Pisgah but that's where my favorite Pisgah tech is. It's sad that a lot of the old school tech has been dumbed down though. We never had a problem with it on 26'ers, but for some reason today's bikes need smoother lines?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting kinda crowded here.  Get paid 600 to move elsewhere.-img_08102.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You're right about the car traffic, it sucks getting out of the forest in Brevard on a sunny day. I was speaking more of when actually on the trail.
    Yeah people can still spread out. I just remember the days of pedaling all day long and being stoked when you saw another rider because it was a rare thing. It just made the Pisgah feel like a secret spot. Like early surfers in Hawaii laughing about the insane waves they had all to themselves while people were getting dropped in on in California. Everyone knows the Pisgah these days, and rightly so. When I used to tell CO friends about Pisgah they thought I was lying about how much vert was on tap, and how technical the terrain was. I mean, I was talking about vert to people in the Rockies fresh off the boat from the little mole hills that are the Appalachians. So many don't realize that NC/TN is where the App's rise the highest. Vertical is relative. When you have towns like Old fort below 2k, and mountains above 6k, you've got a pretty nice play ground that even CO can respect. That said, my first year in CO I did the Barr trail. 7k of vert let me brag to NC buds that's for sure!

mtbr member
    Only things I miss about the east are the soil and the longer riding season. ..
    I kinda miss the ticks, mosquitoes, flies and gnats. There was one ride in particular I remember where I had to stop every 10-15 min to pick off 1/2 doz ticks crawling up my legs. Couldn't stop for long as the mosquitoes would swarm. You got used to swallowing gnats and the errant mosquito.

DEET and permethrin were essential.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I kinda miss the ticks, mosquitoes, flies and gnats. There was one ride in particular I remember where I had to stop every 10-15 min to pick off 1/2 doz ticks crawling up my legs. Couldn't stop for long as the mosquitoes would swarm. You got used to swallowing gnats and the errant mosquito.

DEET and permethrin were essential.
    I was going to ask about the ticks
    The only reply to a fool is silence

Formerly of Kent
    My wife and I never got any in three school years in the deep, dark woods of the Blue Ridge.

Our landlordís dogs got them all the time, though. Iíd pick them off the top of their heads once a week.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I was going to ask about the ticks
    Ticks were never an issue for me. They tend to like disturbed areas. Stay out of clearings that are growing back, tall grass... and you're good. Healthy hardwood forests really don't have tick problems and most of the Pisgah is about as healthy as woods come on the east coast. While there's tons of water in the Pisgah is mostly clean fast moving water so mosquitos aren't that bad. What you need to watch out for is yellow jackets! Ground bee's as some locals call them can be gnarly! I've been lit up multiple times. Even been stung in the mouth. Climate change was ramping up their activity when I moved away. Another thing is spiky butt spiders building webs in the morning. The are small and harmless but annoying as can be. I could never ride with eye protection because of fogging so webs across the face kind of suck. This is best dealt with by telling your buddy he's been ripping lately and you want to follow his lines.

mtbr member
    I guess it depends where in the East you're talking about. New England is just crazy with ticks. Been hiking in the middle of winter with 8" of snow on the ground and got ticks on a 40F day. Got ticks in out back yard. Dog got ticks being walked down a residential sidewalk. Very common to pick a dozen or more ticks off the dog after a couple mile hike...sometimes a couple of times during a hike.
    What, me worry?

Formerly of Kent

Getting kinda crowded here. Get paid $10600 to move elsewhere.

My SILís kids got a bunch of ticks at her in/lawsí place up near Estes Park this summer, FWIW. One of them had over a dozen.

That said, Iíve never seen a tick in CO.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Came across this today out on a walk this morning. I guess they hadn't heard about the Bentonville deal, darn it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting kinda crowded here.  Get paid 600 to move elsewhere.-20201120_100558.jpg  

What, me worry?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    My SILís kids got a bunch of ticks at her in/lawsí place up near Estes Park this summer, FWIW. One of them had over a dozen.
    That said, Iíve never seen a tick in CO.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? Lyme disease?

Deer ticks are pretty small. You probably had them and never knew it.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't put AR at the top of my escape plan but it did make the list.