Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fruita / GJ weekend 3/19, 3/20

I'm thinking about heading back to Fruita / GJ for another weekend (Mar 19,20). If we left Saturday early morning, we could ride Saturday and Sunday and only need to pay for one night out there. I checked the rates at the hotel where I stayed last weekend (La Quinta, Fruita) and they are at $75 / night double occupancy. There are cheaper places to stay, but that was a nice place (new hotel, free broadband in the rooms, nice pool / hot-tub, etc). I'd be up for finding a different place, though, too because this place is in Fruita and we'd probably be riding more out of Grand Junction.

Who wants to go?

Singletrack - do you know of some hotels closer to where we would be riding that are nice, but not too expensive (like Comfort Inn, La Quinta, etc)? Would you & some of your guys be able to show us around for one or both days that weekend?

mtbr member
    What kind of riding are you going to be doing? XC or freeride?
    Or maybe a better questions is what trails are you planning on riding?

mtbr member
    I am planning on shuttling my big bike on freeride / downhill trails. I have heard that one of the trails that I think we may ride has ripped up XC bikes before.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, and the guys from last weekend were telling me about a big-bike jump park down there, too. Sounds like a blast.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    Who wants to go?
    Me!

Who can't go on that weekend?

Me again.

I'll be out of town Thurs - Mon that weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Me!

Who can't go on that weekend?

Me again.

I'll be out of town Thurs - Mon that weekend.
    Supah sweet! If we get enough that want to do it, I might stay out on Friday night, too. I can't stay as long as you are going to stay, though.

locked - time out
    It could happen - I'll get back in touch.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Supah sweet! If we get enough that want to do it, I might stay out on Friday night, too. I can't stay as long as you are going to stay, though.
    No, I meant I'll be out of town (i.e. Oklahoma City, OK) in a bad way, not a good way.

If my plans change, I'll be in Fruita, but right now it doesn't look so good.

Perpetually single track
    hmmm.....interesting...
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

mtbr member
    Oh - ok. Now I get it. I was a little confused on what you meant. I'm a little slow sometimes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    It could happen - I'll get back in touch.
    Check to see if Rachel wants to go. I'm thinking that April may go and they could maybe hang out during the day while we are out playing.

locked - time out
    Check to see if Rachel wants to go. I'm thinking that April may go and they could maybe hang out during the day while we are out playing.
    Yeah - she's got a friend over there in Fruita who she may want to visit. It wouldn't be an issue except I'm going to Moab on the first of April and we have the kids the weekend between the two. It's rough that I am so fond of her - life was so much simpler when I was single.

mtbr member
    It's rough that I am so fond of her - life was so much simpler when I was single.
    Tell me about it!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    doh! nevahmind. the girly and i have something going on that friday night.

probably go over saturday morning, and come home tuesday. 3/19 - 3/22
    Last edited by scrublover; 03-01-2005 at 01:48 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Priceline......

got me and the girly a room in GJ for a total of $37 a night.

and once she drives home, i'll go back to my dirtbag camping ways for the other two nights.

the Grand Vista something or other. hell, we'll be sweaty/stinky/beered up from the brewery anyhow, so we don't care about a nice room.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Priceline......

got me and the girly a room in GJ for a total of $37 a night.

and once she drives home, i'll go back to my dirtbag camping ways for the other two nights.

the Grand Vista something or other. hell, we'll be sweaty/stinky/beered up from the brewery anyhow, so we don't care about a nice room.
    Wow - I think I'd be afraid of something for $37 / night.

nah, it just means a smaller room, nothing but basic cable, no high speed net, or hot tub/sauna stuff. and i'll be camping the last two nights i'm there anyhow. staying in a hotel in moab/fruita is an alien concept to me, even in winter; just seems wrong. i'll concede it for the girlfriend to come along though.

we're blowing some money on a week in SF in may, so this has to be on the cheap.

mtbr member
    nah, it just means a smaller room, nothing but basic cable, no high speed net, or hot tub/sauna stuff. and i'll be camping the last two nights i'm there anyhow. staying in a hotel in moab/fruita is an alien concept to me, even in winter; just seems wrong. i'll concede it for the girlfriend to come along though.

we're blowing some money on a week in SF in may, so this has to be on the cheap.
    I'm all for camping myself, usually, but from past experience, I'd rather camp than hotel rooms I've stayed in for that kind of price. It's probably fine, though, especially if it's a web discount or something.

Professional Lurker
    Won't be able to join ya'll that weekend....it's still ski season and I have 5 Vail days left!

But as far as lodging goes we always stay at the Adam's Mark (in GJ). Usually ~$100/nt. But it's right by the highway, great pool/hot tub, nice little restaurant on the first floor (good for filling up on b-fast before the ride. I highly recommend 'The Monumental'.), they don't mind bikes in your room, and it's walking distance to the liqour store, Apple Bee's and Taco Bell! How's that?
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i will be going on sunday the 20th til tuesday or wedesday if anyone wants to join for some XC rides (preferably long ones)...will probablycamp at 18 road as it usually quiet during the week...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

user-created
    Singletrack - do you know of some hotels closer to where we would be riding that are nice, but not too expensive (like Comfort Inn, La Quinta, etc)? Would you & some of your guys be able to show us around for one or both days that weekend?
    My back yard is really cheap this time of year, and we just cleaned up all the dog sh1t. I'd offer the couch, but i don't think I'd wanna sleep on it myself.

I not really a good person to ask about hotels, since I don't use um myself BUT you could try downtown GJ - there's a Hawthorne suites down there that has a kickass continental breakfast, although I've never stayed there. The Two Rivers Inn is prolly cheapest decent place down there. If you're not camping, there's no real reason to stay in Fruita. Nuthin' to do down there at night, and it sounds like you prolly wanna ride stuff up this way anyhow. You can still be in Fruita in 15 minutes, IF you wanna ride down there.

Downtown GJ, you can walk to the bars, or ride a few blocks to the skatepark. Lots of night time urban riding fun too. 4 bike shops, including the one where I work. Did I mention you can walk to the bars? Cool stores, nice resturants for the women-folk as well.

Weekend of the 20th is the end of spring break for me. One of my riding buddies is getting back from iRaq then as well, so you can be pretty damn sure there'll be a lot of riding and boozing going on.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks for the info, Joel. I can't wait. I'm checking the hotels right now.

I'm all for camping myself, usually, but from past experience, I'd rather camp than hotel rooms I've stayed in for that kind of price. It's probably fine, though, especially if it's a web discount or something.

yep. got it cheap through priceline.

mtbr member
    I'd like to tag along on this Fruita trip, however I don't know anyone on this list.

Does anyone want to share a ride or a room out there?

Tribe Member

New question here. So is there a consensus on what bikes to bring

Just checking cause I dont own a super squishy bike to bring...

Please provide details of bikes and rides

thanks

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    Just checking cause I dont own a super squishy bike to bring...

Please provide details of bikes and rides

thanks

Rich
    I am planning on riding technical freeride trails with my big squish, but these trails are also rideable by a competent rider aboard a good cross country bike. Although I have heard that some of these trails have eaten cross country bikes as a snack. As for a hotel room, I am not planning on sharing a room, but I have found some good deals on priceline.com.

Now Uploading
    Yeah, my tent is nicer than some of those hourly rate places...

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Stupid and Dangerous
    Awesome. Thanks for the info, Joel. I can't wait. I'm checking the hotels right now.
    This past weekend we stayed at the Mesa Inn in Grand Junction. It cost us $35 per night. It's like 15 min from the trails in Fruita right off of I-70 on Horizon. The rooms were clean, 2 double beds, TV, they were filling the pool and it's in a good neighborhood.

I'd recommend it, and would stay there again.

http://www.gjmotels.com/mesainn/
    By the way, it says "BALLS" on yor face

mtbr member
    I'm staying at the Grand Vista Hotel - looks to be a pretty nice place. Pool / Hot Tub, free Wi-Fi in the rooms. $48/night. http://www.grandvistahotel.com.

Now Uploading
    Gonna pass on that weekend, but been looking at possible Fat Tire plans there in May. The 10th Anniversary festival is April 29th-May 7th this year, but I don't have that kind of time. So thinking of which weekend, if I go. May not register this year. And I certainly will not be paying a $10 "Late Fee" to attend the second weekend if not able to take off work more than an entire week to go there at the beginning to ride again. Wow! ... less for more, what a concept...

If I go, I will be camping, and riding wherever I want, when I want. I have enough t-shirts.

I may also wander over to Moab a day or two next time I'm out that way.

Cheers,

Dave

user-created
    I'm staying at the Grand Vista Hotel - looks to be a pretty nice place. Pool / Hot Tub, free Wi-Fi in the rooms. $48/night. http://www.grandvistahotel.com.
    Bailey's, the hotel bar, is pretty nice as well. They have wing and taco specials during the week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Bailey's, the hotel bar, is pretty nice as well. They have wing and taco specials during the week.
    Awesome. Good to hear! Sounds like it could be trouble having a decent bar in the hotel, too! I can't wait to get down there again.

FYI: that is the same place that I got my $37 a night room........

through priceline.com though, not booked direct.

the same room that ya'll thought would be "scary" for that cheap.

Stand back

come tomorrow

Awesome. Good to hear! Sounds like it could be trouble having a decent bar in the hotel, too! I can't wait to get down there again.
    I might know if I have dr.'s ok to go. And if he says ok, I'm going, big bike or no big bike...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I might know if I have dr.'s ok to go. And if he says ok, I'm going, big bike or no big bike...
    The more the better!

user-created

Tourons

So who's coming out here this weekend?

mtbr member
    I was gettin' ready to ask if you were still up for showin' some of us Front Rangers around this weekend. So far, it's me, definitely, and probably s1ngletrack. I haven't heard definites from anyone else.

Anyone else wanna go?

mtbr member
    I'm planning on making it out there.

Stupid and Dangerous
    I was thinking maybe a day trip to the Ribbons in GJ on Saturday. I think I could split Boulder around 6 ish and get to GJ about 10:30-11:00am (depending on ski traffic) get in 4-5 hours and drive back, get home around 10 at the latest.

Crazy I know but I can't be gone all weekend.

Perpetually single track
    I'm a maybe...so many things do, so little time.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    I'm a maybe...so many things do, so little time.
    I am unfortunately definitely out now. I just booked my flights to OKC for Thursday - Mon, so I'll have to catch the next caravan to Fruita. I'm certainly very interested in heading that direction to ride soon though...

Now Uploading
    Unable to make it, but deffinately interested some other time.

And looking like I'll be skipping the FFTF this year, too many ifs, maybes and probably nots in the planning stages already. And I'm leaning towards missing the festival crowds.

When I go, will be camping, and will have planned it prior to leaving.

Cheers,

Dave

No pain, no pain.
    Let's do it!
    Funny photobomber pics at http://photobombers.com

Evil Lurks
    Shuttle the Ribbon? Sounds like fun. Scrubby, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Davetoo
    Shuttle the Ribbon? Sounds like fun. Scrubby, what do you think?
    i'm in so far.....

leave here sat, home on tuesday for me. i'd love to hit the ribbon/other junction area stuff, as i've only ever been on the loma and 18-road area stuff.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i'm in so far.....

leave here sat, home on tuesday for me. i'd love to hit the ribbon/other junction area stuff, as i've only ever been on the loma and 18-road area stuff.
    give me a holler if your interested in monday and tuesday rides as myself and a buddy are going for the non weekend, less crowded trip, don't know what rides yet, but probably mary's area one day and GJ one day (wanna check out holy cross)...anybody else going mid week let me know..bill
    BBZ

user-created
    I've gotta work on Sat, but can prolly duck out for some riding. Sunday is open. If yinz don't get down here till noonish that'll work nicely.

I think Big Marbles will be dry, but they gate the access road in winter. I'll hafta snoop around and see if we can get up there.

Back to skool on monday for me, but I try not to let that interfere with riding.

Hmmm, if we're gonna do shuttles I better put the engine back in my car.
    Last edited by singletrack; 03-15-2005 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm going to stay out there on Friday night, so I'll be around for whenever, but I can wait 'til noon on Friday if need be. Or I could just head out to those dirt jumps in the morning or something if I can get directions there. I think s1ngletrack may be coming with me, but not sure yet.

I've gotta work on Sat, but can prolly duck out for some riding. Sunday is open. If yinz don't get down here till noonish that'll work nicely.

I think Big Marbles will be dry, but they gate the access road in winter. I'll hafta snoop around and see if we can get up there.

Back to skool on monday for me, but I try not to let that interfere with riding.
    Hmmm, if we're gonna do shuttles I better put the engine back in my car.
    so shuttle sunday, eh? i'm sure there will be enough cars/trucks available, if'n you don't get the engine thrown back in there timely enough.

everybody bring your fork up, yeah?

mtbr member
    so shuttle sunday, eh? i'm sure there will be enough cars/trucks available, if'n you don't get the engine thrown back in there timely enough.
    Yeah - sounds like there will be enough cars maybe that Joel won't need to fix his car. We could set up some meeting places and times later this week for the rides this weekend.

everybody bring your fork up, yeah?
    Huh?

Huh?
    as in, fork up for 20mm, if needed.......

my roof rack needs front wheels off means using a fork up for 20mm forks.

doing a shuttle with it, and having someone forget to bring their fork up along is a real pain......

yeah. time/place for sunday morning meet up would be good. someplace with good food and coffee, preferably.

mtbr member
    as in, fork up for 20mm, if needed.......

my roof rack needs front wheels off means using a fork up for 20mm forks.

doing a shuttle with it, and having someone forget to bring their fork up along is a real pain......

yeah. time/place for sunday morning meet up would be good. someplace with good food and coffee, preferably.
    Aha. Now I get it. I don't have one of those, but I should have my Jeep anyway that can hold 2-3 big bikes.

mtbr member
    I wonder if flymybike would be interested in showing us around on his trail he's developed?

mtbr member
    I'll be bring a pickup, so that should make shuttling much easier.
    I'll be arriving Saturday (unless someone's got a place for me to sleep Friday night)

What's the game plan? Where should me all meet up, and when?

locked - time out
    I wonder if flymybike would be interested in showing us around on his trail he's developed?
    I'm still working out the details - "A woman scorned hath no fury like a bike junkie whose trails are covered in snow..."

right?

mtbr member
    I'm still working out the details - "A woman scorned hath no fury like a bike junkie whose trails are covered in snow..."

right?
    I hear ya. Luckily I'm taking the woman to Vegas next week, so she's still ok with the biking mania if she gets included in a cool trip!

locked - time out
    I hear ya. Luckily I'm taking the woman to Vegas next week, so she's still ok with the biking mania if she gets included in a cool trip!
    That's my problem - I'm going to Moab for three days three weekends from now, and we have my kids the weekend in between.

locked - time out
    I've recieved clearance from ground control and am ready for take off.

Rocket Scientist

... and if we just ...

FYI: that is the same place that I got my $37 a night room........

through priceline.com though, not booked direct.

the same room that ya'll thought would be "scary" for that cheap.
    So who all is going? We pick up our new camping trailer on friday after noon
    http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/foldingtr...highlander.asp
    ...we are anxious to test it out...a fruita ride would be sick!
    Anyone know of camping near the riding spots?
    Anyone bringing their wives that dont ride? If so, maybe they can all hang out together while we go riding? Let me know.
    -Billy

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    So who all is going? We pick up our new camping trailer on friday after noon
    http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/foldingtr...highlander.asp
    ...we are anxious to test it out...a fruita ride would be sick!
    Anyone know of camping near the riding spots?
    Anyone bringing their wives that dont ride? If so, maybe they can all hang out together while we go riding? Let me know.
    -Billy
    that looks nice, we have an older coleman camper that we take to fruita on occasion, its great when the weather get bad...my wife and kids come along sometimes on bike trips, lots of fun for us all....18 rd has good camping spots, but can get busy on weekends, seems like if you get there early on friday your ok...
    BBZ

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    18 rd has good camping spots, but can get busy on weekends, seems like if you get there early on friday your ok...
    I like 18rd when it's busy. When I lived out there for months at a time, I'd just go from campfire to campfire bumming beers. I used to walk into peoples sites and say "I'm the BLM campfire inspector", tell them their fire was illegal, and they'd hafta give me a beer so I'd look the other way. Never failed.

Quote Originally Posted by doub1etrack
    I've recieved clearance from ground control and am ready for take off.
    Sweet, but don't expect me to buy you any beer, junior.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper
    Argh, we investigated and it looks like the FS fixed the gate on the access road so that's a no go, at least until May 1 when the seasonal closure ends. I think they lock it up for Elk migration or something, so it's prolly best to leave it be. Ya know, responsible Dhers and all.

Thumper, Scrubby you guys have my number right?

locked - time out
    Pfftttt... beer has all the appeal of a fresh dog turd for me right now. "Red Bull, it's what's for happy hour."

mtbr member
    I like 18rd when it's busy. When I lived out there for months at a time, I'd just go from campfire to campfire bumming beers. I used to walk into peoples sites and say "I'm the BLM campfire inspector", tell them their fire was illegal, and they'd hafta give me a beer so I'd look the other way. Never failed.

Argh, we investigated and it looks like the FS fixed the gate on the access road so that's a no go, at least until May 1 when the seasonal closure ends. I think they lock it up for Elk migration or something, so it's prolly best to leave it be. Ya know, responsible Dhers and all.

Thumper, Scrubby you guys have my number right?
    Yup - I've got your number. I'll call you when we're on the way out tomorrow night. That's too bad about Big Marbles. Oh well.

mtbr member
    So who all is going?
    Ok, Billy, from my review of this thread, it looks like the following are planning on being there:

singletrack
    .thumper.
    s1ngletrack
    scrublover
    bikecruz
    mango
    kamikazeB
    bpatterson6

Davetoo and ibmkidIII seem to be maybes.

Rocket Scientist
    Ok, Billy, from my review of this thread, it looks like the following are planning on being there:

singletrack
    .thumper.
    s1ngletrack
    scrublover
    bikecruz
    mango
    kamikazeB
    bpatterson6

Well I'm thinking about it. Is anyone planning to camp out?
    I wanna take my new trailer out for it's first camping expedition.
    Are there any close camp sites available to the riding area?
    I'm going to do some searching today, but I might be down for a
    trip out there as well depending on camping areas.

locked - time out

singletrack
    .thumper.
    s1ngletrack
    scrublover
    bikecruz
    mango
    kamikazeB
    bpatterson6

Wes, who lives in the dark ages and has no online presence to speak of, may be going also - it's sounding like a "probably" at this point, but I should know later today.

singletrack
    .thumper.
    s1ngletrack
    scrublover
    bikecruz
    mango
    kamikazeB
    bpatterson6

yep. davetoo and i won't be out until sometime saturday, late morning/early afternoon. ibmkidIII not until sunday night. we'll all be coming home tuesday after riding, it looks like.

so where/when to meet up to do the group thing on sunday?

Rocket Scientist
    Not to get you down, but check this out...

Stupid and Dangerous

I was listening to the news this morning (NPR so not very indepth weather) and they seemed to indicate rain for "Western Colorado".

What say the locals....

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    I was listening to the news this morning (NPR so not very indepth weather) and they seemed to indicate rain for "Western Colorado".

What say the locals....
    Maybe so - but have you ever noticed that the dude who does the weather for KUNC (on NPR) in the morning ALWAYS (and I do mean always ) predicts sh1tty weather? I swear, I cannot count the times that I have been driving into work, in sunny 30 - 40 degree weather at 7:30am , only to hear him say "looks like we'll be topping out in the high 30's today, chance of snow flurries later today with accumulation to 5 feet, blah, blah blah" - maybe I'm just uptight about such things, but I always want to call him up and ask him what fvcking window he is looking out - I suspect that the guy is an avid skier and eternal optimist...

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

singletrack
    .thumper.
    s1ngletrack
    scrublover
    bikecruz
    mango
    kamikazeB
    bpatterson6

I can't go so you guys all suck. Because I am a petty and mean spirited b!tch, I am going to do my little happy dance and pray for torrential rains, high winds, frigid temps, and deep clay. Enjoy.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

ha ha! Looks like it's working already!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    I can't go so you guys all suck. Because I am a petty and mean spirited b!tch, I am going to do my little happy dance and pray for torrential rains, high winds, frigid temps, and deep clay. Enjoy.
    Dammit.

mtbr member
    Wes, who lives in the dark ages and has no online presence to speak of, may be going also - it's sounding like a "probably" at this point, but I should know later today.
    Nice - that would be a blast if Wes could make it.

locked - time out
    You, of all people, should understand that if your plan succeeds we will have that much more of an adventure - insuring that we will have ever better ride stories to tell later. You realize that you will live a life of regret and self loathing should your little rain-dance poop work...don't you?

How many trips to Green Mountain in 70 degree weather have you told your friends about?

Muuaaaaaahhahahaha, MUUUAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    You, of all people, should understand that if your plan succeeds we will have that much more of an adventure - insuring that we will have ever better ride stories to tell later. You realize that you will live a life of regret and self loathing should your little rain-dance poop work...don't you?

How many trips to Green Mountain in 70 degree weather have you told your friends about?

Muuaaaaaahhahahaha, MUUUAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
    Don't pull that wisened, calm as a Hindu cow, ploy on me buddy. I know the mere thought that my little dance will work is giving you gopher heads. Where's my frickin bone rattle and I know I have a newt around here somewhere.....besides, I've never told my friends about Green Mountain rides 'cuz I don't ride there. I hope you enjoy pushing your 200-pound bike while it looks like it was caught in a kiln explosion at some hippy pottery co-op! Beee-otch!

locked - time out
    Don't pull that wisened, calm as a Hindu cow, ploy on me buddy. I know the mere thought that my little dance will work is giving you gopher heads. Where's my frickin bone rattle and I know I have a newt around here somewhere.....besides, I've never told my friends about Green Mountain rides 'cuz I don't ride there. I hope you enjoy pushing your 200-pound bike while it looks like it was caught in a kiln explosion at some hippy pottery co-op! Beee-otch!
    Keep that up and you'll have a Newt at your house alright, a Newt Gingrich that is. I'll stuff that f@t bastard into a suitcase, take him over to your place, give him only a leather thong to wear and chain him under your bed for you to find @ 3am.

We'll see who's laughing then...

I hope you enjoy pushing your 200-pound bike
    Besides, what's 3 pounds of mud really?
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 03-17-2005 at 11:58 AM.

kaching! (oops; meant for your other post up there somwehre, but you get the idea....)

i've stayed at the fruita one several times, but tenting it. it and the GJ one both have hookups for the trailer if you want.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/co...maps/COO1.html

otherwise, the 18-rd. area stuff, but no water/hookups for your camper, if you want them.

user-created
    I'm not worried about the weather. If it rains a little the trails will be better than they are now. If it rains alot we can go to wabbit valley and ride killer moto trail that's too sandy any other time.

I'm gonna be stuck at work on Sat, but if anybody wants to meet early that morning we could bust out the Holy Cross (1 hour for a loop) and then ya'll could go do some Loma stuff. I would HIGHLY recommend Mack->Troy's.

Ribbon shuttlin' on sunday would be rad (yes, rad) and we can do the epic verison that hits basically every trail on the Tabba. Bring lunch, and a front derailler!

It's cloudy here now, hopefully that shite will blow through.

user-created

Revised

I pulled some strings, here's the new forecast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

locked - time out
    I pulled some strings, here's the new forecast.
    YEAH!!!! F*** the KUNC weather nazi! Way to go Joel.

I'll have to talk w/ Grant before I know what the plan is for Sat AM, but imagine it'll be riding of some sort. Can't wait...

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    YEAH!!!! F*** the KUNC weather nazi! Way to go Joel.

I'll have to talk w/ Grant before I know what the plan is for Sat AM, but imagine it'll be riding of some sort. Can't wait...
    That forecast ain't real. Here's the real one: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ruita+colorado

I'm working on getting the high to around -40 with hurricane force winds, 6' snow accumulation and whiteout visibility.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Looks like most are looking to do the Ribbons on Sunday so maybe I'll put off my gonzo daytrip until then.

locked - time out
    That forecast ain't real. Here's the real one: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ruita+colorado

I'm working on getting the high to around -40 with hurricane force winds, 6' snow accumulation and whiteout visibility.
    Whatever, I found a more accurate forecast here:

http://www.nakednewtgingrichchainedbeneathdonsbed.com

You remember the horse head scene from The Godfather? You'll wish you were so lucky...

user-created

Logistics

Mmmmkay.... if there's a bunch wanna ride the Ribbon Sunday, we can meet at my house which is pretty easy to find. Here's directions.

Shall we say 11:00? Does that work for folks driving out on Sunday?

Rocket Scientist
    Whats the drive time to fruita like?
    We wouldnt be able to leave until saturday morning late,
    I may have to wait until the next fruita excursion.

Whats the drive time to fruita like?
    We wouldnt be able to leave until saturday morning late,
    I may have to wait until the next fruita excursion.
    i can normally bust it out solo in about 4 hours. but about 45 min of that is just getting to i-70 from longmont, so, depends. it'll probably take us about 5 hours. i can normally get it in about 2/3 a tank of gas.

more/less depending on traffic and how much crap my car is loaded down with.

i'm leaving with the girlfriend sometime sat morning. hope to at least fit in a quicky in the mary's loop area after getting there, before dark.

mtbr member
    Mmmmkay.... if there's a bunch wanna ride the Ribbon Sunday, we can meet at my house which is pretty easy to find. Here's directions.

Shall we say 11:00? Does that work for folks driving out on Sunday?
    That sounds good. Anyone who gets in town that wants to meet up or see where we are can call me (Grant) at (720)933-2878. s1ngletrack will be with me and we'll be mainly riding, eating, drinking, and hot-tubbing with super models.

We'll be getting into Grand Junction Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon.

mtbr member
    That sounds good. Anyone who gets in town that wants to meet up or see where we are can call me (Grant) at (720)933-2878. s1ngletrack will be with me and we'll be mainly riding, eating, drinking, and hot-tubbing with super models.

We'll be getting into Grand Junction Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon.
    Do you have an idea of what you are going to ride Saturday and when?
    I'm trying to figure out when I should arrive.

oops, no ibmkidIII until sunday night. realized that after i posted this.

That sounds good. ...................... And leaving Sunday afternoon.
    davetoo and myslef, maybe with one or two others are getting there sometime (hopefully early) saturday; hope to get a ride in before hitting food/hotel. i'm thinking of heading straight to the mary's loop stuff just to get a quicky ride in after driving over. mmmmm, moore fun and horsethief! been a while since i've been over on those.

we'll meet ya'll at ST's sunday morning for the super shuttle thing or whatever. with ibmkidIII in tow, maybe titusguy, and another.

a couple of us will be hanging out and riding monday/tuesday as well, and coming home tuesday afterwards.
    Last edited by scrublover; 03-18-2005 at 10:56 AM.

Perpetually single track
    we'll meet ya'll at ST's sunday morning for the super shuttle thing or whatever. with ibmkidIII in tow, maybe titusguy, and another.

me won't be in GJ until Sunday night.....
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecruz
    Do you have an idea of what you are going to ride Saturday and when?
    I'm trying to figure out when I should arrive.
    We haven't decided yet what we will ride on Saturday, but riding Holy Cross in the morning sounds good. Then I'd be up for riding Mary's / Horsethief (Moore Fun if not wet) or taking singletrack's suggestion and riding the Loma stuff. I haven't been on any of the Loma stuff, so that might be my vote, but I'm up for whatever.
    I'm gonna be stuck at work on Sat, but if anybody wants to meet early that morning we could bust out the Holy Cross (1 hour for a loop) and then ya'll could go do some Loma stuff. I would HIGHLY recommend Mack->Troy's.

Stand back

before dark?

i can normally bust it out solo in about 4 hours. but about 45 min of that is just getting to i-70 from longmont, so, depends. it'll probably take us about 5 hours. i can normally get it in about 2/3 a tank of gas.

more/less depending on traffic and how much crap my car is loaded down with.

i'm leaving with the girlfriend sometime sat morning. hope to at least fit in a quicky in the mary's loop area after getting there, before dark.

If you wait til after dark, you might have a bit more privacy. But if you're into exposure, then nevermind.
    Everybody take lots of pictures for me, probly another month of living vicarously thru you all. Make me proud.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    If you wait til after dark, you might have a bit more privacy. But if you're into exposure, then nevermind.
    Everybody take lots of pictures for me, probly another month of living vicarously thru you all. Make me proud.

it'll be over before you know it.

well, a night ride would be cool......

hmmm. i may have to bring my lights!

locked - time out
    it'll be over before you know it.

well, a night ride would be cool......

hmmm. i may have to bring my lights!

I'm bring mine - just in case.

...master of none

Grand Junction riding video

If anyone is interested I rode Fruita/GJ last weekend and put together a video starring our own JasonB. Trails include The Ribbon, Andy's, and Eagle's Wing.

PM if you want to see it. Don't want to make it public due to bandwidth.

bock

attached screen captures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

user-created
    Woah, this is gonna be a big ride. On Sunday I mean. I think there will be 15 dudes or so. At some point the DHers and those who can climb will likely split, but we will all run the Ribbon together.

It's gonna be rad. Weather today was great, I think it'll hold out for us. Woot!

No pain, no pain.
    Woah, this is gonna be a big ride. On Sunday I mean. I think there will be 15 dudes or so. At some point the DHers and those who can climb will likely split, but we will all run the Ribbon together.

It's gonna be rad. Weather today was great, I think it'll hold out for us. Woot!
    hell yeah! mango, g and I are definitely heading out west Sunday with one other possibly joining us...

btw - props to bock for hooking up the vids so I can see the trouble I'm getting myself into!

hope the weather holds up - forecast is looking wet, but who knows this time of year. <shrug> Any suggestions on clothese to bring? or just the standard "layers. lots and lots of layers."?

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazeB
    Any suggestions on clothese to bring? or just the standard "layers. lots and lots of layers."?
    Neons, western prints, and parachute pants are all the rage out here... and mousse, lots of mousse.

No pain, no pain.
    So kind of "80's-hick", eh? Perfect!

"Mom, where's that trunk you kept all my high-school clothes in? You were right, I actually will wear them again."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast