Thread: Froooota!

mtbr member

Froooota!

It's lookin' like I'm gonna be able to hit Fruita for a while on Saturday. Just got off the phone with the nice pholks at Over the Edge Sports and they say just about everything is rideable.

I will be riding a BigHit with a Dual-Crown fork. Can anyone suggest a good trail (technical) that may put the long travel bike to work a bit? I've never ridden there before - just passed throuh on my way to Utah several times. I posted a similar thread on the Western Slope forum, but didn't really get a response.

Anyone want to meet me out there? I'm hoping to be able to hit the dirt noonish.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    It's lookin' like I'm gonna be able to hit Fruita for a while on Saturday. Just got off the phone with the nice pholks at Over the Edge Sports and they say just about everything is rideable.
    Awesome. I'm going for Fat Tire, but haven't made plans yet.

And I'm so tempted to bring my AC out there, but there is just too much climbing and pushing bikes up hill in places for a 40lb. bike with a fork I can't lock out.

Riding Mary's Loop and Horsetheif on a heavy FS wouldn't be that bad, but just about everything else out there (Mack Ridge, Moore Fun... The Edge) will kill you with a boat anchor. Maybe parts of Rabbit Valley while they are not using it for an XC race course?

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    but just about everything else out there ... will kill you with a boat anchor
    Thanks for the info, Dave. My 43 lb. bike is a bit of a pig, but it pedals nicely, just takes a little more work than a XC. I don't mind too much climbing on it, but that is just a means to an end, if you know what I mean.

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Have fun on the Kokopelli Loops. I ride my AS-x out there and it's just exactly fine.

Do Moore Fun the right way.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedster
    Do Moore Fun the right way.
    I was thinking the Moore Fun trail sounds cool - which way is the right way?

mtbr member
    yeah I would stay away from the edge loop unless you want to just suffer. I think at some point there is six miles of straight climbing. could be wrong but that is how I remember it. Anything on 18 road might be boring for you except for maybe Zippity. Grab the new trail guide from the shop if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    yeah I would stay away from the edge loop unless you want to just suffer. I think at some point there is six miles of straight climbing. could be wrong but that is how I remember it. Anything on 18 road might be boring for you except for maybe Zippity. Grab the new trail guide from the shop if you get a chance.
    Thanks, I have actually been planning on getting that book, but didn't want to order it online because the shipping is like seven bucks or something. That's not a hideous amount, but when the book costs 12 bucks, it seems a little stupid to spend 7 to get it here.

Rolling
    Ribbon and Eagles wing are the trails for that bike! Wish I could go.

Moore fun is way fun but there is some hefty climbing.

Last edited by lidarman; 02-25-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Thanks, I have actually been planning on getting that book, but didn't want to order it online because the shipping is like seven bucks or something. That's not a hideous amount, but when the book costs 12 bucks, it seems a little stupid to spend 7 to get it here.
    Yep, I thought so too but ended up just buying it online so I could "study" it before going so I could lay out a plan of attack.

I'm dying to go to Fruita now that I'm this close, so anyone who is wanting to head that direction for a short weekend trip let me know.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    everything rideable, eh? and me off work until thursday.......

ahem. anyone want to go over there monday morning, camp/ride, come home on wednesday after three days of riding?

usually camp at the state park right in town off the river, as they have showers, too. and it's cheap.

got room for 1-2 more people/bikes.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Perpetually single track
    If memory serves the RIGHT way is from West to East.......e.g go to the West Terminus of the trail and start there.....be prepared to push the bike, and keep it single.

edit: Also go to OTE and buy the local trail guide. WELL worth the $

Buckle Up
    Yep, Horsethief Bench and Mary's Loop are must-rides. That place is heaven on earth, have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <><

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    and keep it single.
    Absolutely. Thanks, Kirk.

locked - time out
    Thanks for the info, Dave. My 43 lb. bike is a bit of a pig, but it pedals nicely, just takes a little more work than a XC. I don't mind too much climbing on it, but that is just a means to an end, if you know what I mean.

Don't be a sally - earn your turns and pedal that b*tch uphill. I've ridden all kinds of stuff out there (most of which I cannot remember the names of, except the Edge Loop) on a big bike, it's not that bad, just slower.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Don't be a sally
    Thanks sweetie

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Yep, I thought so too but ended up just buying it online so I could "study" it before going so I could lay out a plan of attack.

I'm dying to go to Fruita now that I'm this close, so anyone who is wanting to head that direction for a short weekend trip let me know.
    If I hadn't made plans to ski this weekend, I'd be on the way after work today.

mtbr member

Good job!

I was thinking the Moore Fun trail sounds cool - which way is the right way?
    Moore Fun IS cool. As was noted it's a "nice" climb. Horsethief would be nice on a long travel going down. Mary's is probably a bit tame. Try Troybuilt, it's got some climbing though.

contains quinine
    Every single time I've found myself on Moore Fun I've simultainiously found myself completely blown.

Fun trail.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Moore Fun or Shuttle Eagle's Wing to Ribbon

Moore fun is a blast! Lots of ledges, rocks and just pure fun! Would be a great out and back from the Mary's loop main parking lot! If you've got the legs, Moore Fun->Mack Ridge->Troy Builts is epic loop! Although this is best if you've got an extra car you can leave at the end of Troy Built and avoid the road miles back to the car.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    you can (imo should) do the ribbon without a shuttle and its not terribly bad, just gotta connect with some road, thats how we always do it, usually takes 4 hours if there are just a couple of us and 5 if the crew is large...love that ride....my favorite fruita ride is marys, horsethief, steves (part), lions, mack ridge and then either stop or moore fun if you are feeling good......so much fun.........
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Ribbon....hike a bike... Eagle's Wing.

A good afternoon.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    my favorite fruita ride is marys, horsethief, steves (part), lions, mack ridge and then either stop or moore fun if you are feeling good......so much fun.........
    This is what I did last time I was there - it's a great ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    This is what I did last time I was there - it's a great ride.
    Same here, I think the kokopelli stuff is way better than the bookcliffs but it's all killer.

Members who have read this thread: 0