mtbr member

Friends of Bryan Camp

I don't know how fast the word has spread on this piece of bad news, but our firend Bryan broke his neck and back riding near BV on Sunday. He is as OK as he can be given the extent of the injuries. I am not an expert in this stuff but he broke three c vertebrae and two t vertabrae. They are stable breaks so right now he is not in danger of paralysis. The crew he was riding with did an incredible job and got him out in under two hours, keeping him stable the whole time. He was air lifted from Salida to Denver and is currently at St. Anthony's.

I know a lot of you all know him from the racing scene. To many of us who are not tied into that whole scene he is one of our best riding bros, wether in the summer or winter, always psyched to go ride. The shitty news is he has no health insurance and is a self employed contractor. He is going to have massive bills besides trying to deal with living expenses while he can't work.

If you want to help Bryan out you can come down to Salida on Sunday for a little fundraiser. From 4-7pm at the West End Cafe (kick ass new resturant in town on First St. across from the skatepark) they are going to ask for $15/head and will supply food and drink. He needs the help. We will try to get something set up for friends who want to help him out but can't make it to this event. Thanks.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Bryan is doing better, every day. I am in contact with him on a daily basis.
    He condition is 95% clear of surgery or Halo, as the fractures were stabilized in the hospital in Saldia. My GF was the CT tech and has never see a skull that thick, so he is as lucky as you can be breaking your neck & back. He has concussive syndrome; aka he is "not really there sometimes" and slammed full of pain killers. An elephant tranq can't stop this human tree stump.
    He will have a CTO brace to stabilize his torso, head and neck.

Please, stop by, eat GREAT food & beer, wonderfull views & riding, for a very good cause for one of my best friends.

Scoty

ps. excuse harv's spelling. He's spent wayyyy tooooo much time on the keyboard with spell check.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

dwj
    mtbr member
    sounds like a horrible deal. i'll try and swing by on sunday. bryan has given me atleast $15 worth of darner's beer this season.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    You should post here once you get some sort of (paypal accessable?) fund set up. Can't make it to Salida and don't know Bryan, but I've been hurt without health ins. before and would gladly kick down a few dollars to help a fellow rider deal with something so sh1tty.
    Now with more vitriol!

Schipperkes are cool.
    Paypal addy for Bryan Camp

bryancampisbearsdad@yahoo.com

Scoty
    Last edited by banks; 09-21-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Up and running
    Last edited by banks; 09-21-2005 at 04:44 PM.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Thanks Denis!

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Up and running
    Heya -- hope Bryan recovers quickly -- sorry to hear of his bad luck. I've been fortunate to have narrowly avoided serious injury a couple of times in the past, and can only imagine how tough this can be to deal with for him. At least he has good friends looking out for him....kudos to you guys.

I also feel bad for Bryan because I've heard that the CT techs in Salida are pretty cute -- but I'm guessing he didn't get a chance to notice....

Can't make the dinner -- but have Paypal'd support regardless -- hope it helps.

-Denis

Schipperkes are cool.

Good job!

He's sounding great and seems to have his spirts up. Good sign. Might be out as soon as Friday!
    Bryan grew up downhill skiing on Mamoth as a pre teen-teenager, then found surfing, sharks and big waves. He has surfed all up and down the Oregon & Northern Cali coastlines and has developed a natural sense of no fear when it come to gravitational sports.
    Salida has quenched his thirst for snowboarding and the new found love of mountain biking; he started really off road riding in 1999 and now has been racing for RPM Cycling, a development Yeti race team, for the last 3+ years under Keith Darner aka TacoBell, The Turquiose Turtle, Uncle.

Thnaks for all who have helped in any way possible.

Scoty

Awesomist™

More fundraising efforts

I've been talking with Darner this week, and he's indicated that he'll be at the Final Descent this weekend doing a fundraiser there for Bryan as well, hoping to pull in some donations from the DH racin' scene.

banks: thanks for getting that PayPal action set up, I know Darner will want me to get it up on the RPM site ASAP, is there any link or button or code you can create for me to post up there? Also, is there any specific address (snail mail) that people can send a check or something to, in addition to the PayPal action?

comforter smasher
    Apr 2005
    It is nice to know that bryan has such good friends. I met him on his unfortunate day and already consider him a bro. I have contacted Tomichi Cycles and The Tuneup in Gunnison and they have agreed to accept donations. There will be a collection jar at the front counters of both of these fine establishments by saturday the 24th. Gunnison County riders please help out in any way possible. If you don't have any spare change then write bryan a big check! Thanks, Joel.

Schipperkes are cool.

Good job!

I just got back to Salida after picking up Bryan from the Hospital, as he was given the OK to get his arse out of room 427. He's a bit dizzy when on his feet too long, sucumbs to headaces easliy, and has great stories of the personel that have helped him while in St. Anthony's. His pain meds are in heavy doses and I don't know of anyone who can get an idea of what he as gone through pain wise and the level of discomfort.
    He might be showing up Sunday night at West End!!!!
    By the spring, he'll be raring to go, has a good outlook for the next 6 months too. Watch out or you'll get bumped off the outside pinch

Glad that he is home now.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Bryan is getting better every day. His afternoons are the worst so far as the pain meds are wearing off and he is trying to reduce them as well---He's a tough guy!

His mom flew out for a week and is leaving in a day or two.

He has a checkup in Denver soon.

Again, big whole heartedly THANK YOU for all who have helped out in any way possible.

Scoty

Schipperkes are cool.
    It's been a month now and Bryan is getting back to his grumpier self as the day grows dark--dreadng the days his bddies are talking about the pow-pow then wishing for Maui, fish tacos, fresh beer...........
    His sprits are high and low at time, whatdya expect??! The bills are rolling in with no explanations & some are doubling up---good thing my GF is there to help weed through the pile of s h i t with him.

Thanks for your energy and support.

Scoty

Schipperkes are cool.
    Bryan had he final and last check up with the Dr last week and he was given a clean bill of health and is operating without any brace, surgery, etc. Sore, stiff, weird feelings abound, he's cruising right along.

Thanks to all of you who had given positivity in his way.

Scoty

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good to hear

Sounds like he is very lucky to have friend like you!!!!

Awesomist™
    Thanks, Banks!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Members who have read this thread: 0