mtbr member
    May 2011

FREE AT LAST - Quick Question from Denver Newbie

After what seems like a lifetime, I am proud to say I am finally relocating from Detroit to Denver. Said I would do it one day, that was when I was 18. I am 36 so it took a little longer than I thought.

Anyhow, I am recovering from ankle, toe and shoulder surgery from some martial arts injuries. We move in April and I should be riding by May.

Some time ago, someone mentioned a book/guide for Front Range riding. I can't find the old post or remember what it was called. I would appreciate the name if anyone knows it.

Also, for someone looking for more intermediate single track super close to Denver----what do you recommend? I will be living in Stapleton.

Thanks all in advance. Definitely fired up about making this move and finally getting back on my bike post-operatively.

Shodan

Chronic 1st-timer
    I use this book as my guide when I moved here.
    Trailwrecker at large

banned
    Oct 2004
    And then there's this
    I think it's two volumes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    And then there's this
    I moved here about a month ago and this is the book I bought. It seems to be a great guide and it has a lot of trails in it. I'll pick up the other volume soon.

mtbr member
    Welcome to Colorado Shodan! Lots of intermediate singletrack all up and down the Front Range. Check out Green Mountain, the Colorado Trail and the stuff in South Boulder for just a few spots. AND the awesome High Country once the snow melts and it all opens up!

www.singletrackmapping.com
    Ft. Collins & Lyons – Golden – Buffalo Creek – Durango – Phil’s World – Crested Butte

mtbr member
    Green Mountain was a great first ride. Just made it here from FL a week ago. Thought I was in shape. 6,000' higher suggested otherwise...

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Maps View Post
    Welcome to Colorado Shodan! Lots of intermediate singletrack all up and down the Front Range. Check out Green Mountain, the Colorado Trail and the stuff in South Boulder for just a few spots. AND the awesome High Country once the snow melts and it all opens up!

+1 on all of this! If you want to get out and night ride- look for the t.i.t.s. threads weekly - fun group- i think i always have demo amoeba's you can try out! Or if night riding is not your thing- pm me i'd be happy to guide at buffalo creek.

But do yourself a favor and pick up every map Singletrack Maps make for this area- once you get to know the trails - these maps are a huge help and very well done!

and even if your still a redwings fan- i wont hold that against you!

welcome to CO!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    And then there's this
    I have both volumes and I really like them. Although I actually started out with this book, which I thought was good too. Welcome to the region!
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the need View Post
    Green Mountain was a great first ride. Just made it here from FL a week ago. Thought I was in shape. 6,000' higher suggested otherwise...
    ...and then there's always Palmer and PBlow, yeah?
    Maybe stay off of Templeton at Palmer, but I think everything's game at PBlow for an intermediate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the need View Post
    Did the climbing have anything to do with that as well?
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We've reached our quota of MI escapees. you're in luck, though - WY and UT still have lots of openings.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Your body adapts to the altitude far more quickly than your mind adapts to the climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This may sound a stupid question but are there any trails where it is more up and down instead of up and then down?

Quote Originally Posted by shodan22 View Post
    This may sound a stupid question but are there any trails where it is more up and down instead of up and then down?
    Buff Creek - lots of up and down!

the blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Buff Creek - lots of up and down!
    Still a lot of up out there for a flat lander, but will agree the climbs aren't as bad as the immediate Front Range. Green Mountain is one of the easier rides around here.....you will get used to it, just takes some time.

Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Still a lot of up out there for a flat lander, but will agree the climbs aren't as bad as the immediate Front Range. Green Mountain is one of the easier rides around here.....you will get used to it, just takes some time.
    True- but if one would start at the scraggy lot and jump right on the CT it would be more rolling- id say.

OP- give me a shout and id be happy to discuss and or guide.

and Green Mountain is said to be easier- but not really any easy climb to the top. Although short- still pretty stout - and throw in a stout and its a bit tougher! one can roll the lower trails but that would get boring pretty fast. Plenty to explore on green mtn if your willing to go off the beaten path.

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    True- but if one would start at the scraggy lot and jump right on the CT it would be more rolling- id say.
    Make sure to leave a car down at the Meadows Campground, though if you go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Make sure to leave a car down at the Meadows Campground, though if you go this route.
    There is no shuttling at buff creek

the blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Lair of The Bear (LOTB). Just don't go on the weekends for your first ride there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Centennial Cone and Alderfer Three Sisters. South Valley is a nice easy warm up to get acclimated. Hildebrand maybe too easy, but a nice rolling loop when not muddy. All subject to melting and drying of course. Matthews Winters is a mix of up and down and a little more challenging in spots, but crowded.

tiny rider
    In addition to those mentioned previously:

All of the south-boulder stuff (aka Marshall Mesa) is rolling, and a good option before you get too acclimated. Don't go on a windy day, though...

Walker Ranch is also broken up into a few ups and downs, but they aren't as gentle.

Upper parts of White Ranch and Mt Falcon are also ups and downs, which are accessible by car if you want to skip out on the big grunt to get there. They can be challenging technically, though. Particularly if you are a fan of water bars, you'll love White Ranch

Dinosaur Ridge is technical without being really climby.

I'd also recommend the western side of Golden Gate state park, particularly in the fall, but beautiful year round. Maybe not right out of the gates, but there are some moderate trails well worth the effort.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Then you'd better park down at Meadows and climb out of the gate. That climb back to Scraggy lot BLOWS donkey nuts at the end of the day...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks for all the suggestions. i did also order the guidebook so that should help. if one were living in stapleton and wanted to find the closest single track----where would that be regardless of difficulty?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks for all the suggestions. i did also order the guidebook so that should help. if one were living in stapleton and wanted to find the closest single track----where would that be regardless of difficulty?
    Real singletrack? Minimum 30 minute drive to a trailhead.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Yeah - moving here from MI to live in Stapleton makes Baby Jesus cry...

fog
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Where did you like to ride in Detroit?

I lived SW of Detroit anf found the riding there to very good; but I did a lot of laps.
    Riding out here is different and you have a large choice of where and what to ride.
    Ihave always like Buffalo Creek which is basically all rideable and no what I call "killer death march chimbs".
    If I knew what you liked around Detroit, I might have some suggestions.
    Otherwise get maps and books and go exploring!
    Enjoy and welcome to Colorado,
    Wayne

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, the wife and kid will like Stapleton and it seems like a good place for new comers looking to meet folks. I agree Golden would have put me closer to riding.

@ fog

I have pretty much ridden everything nearby:

Tree Farms (novi)
    Potowatomi
    Highland
    Murray Lake
    Torn Shirt
    Stoney Creek
    Holdrige (holly)
    Maybury
    Pontiac Lake
    and a couple others I have forgotton

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Greatly appreciate this thread. Moving out to Denver in a couple weeks.

Speaking of night riding... what trails allow night rides? Moving from STL which has many great trails, but only 2 of which allow night riding.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Well, the wife and kid will like Stapleton
    Don't do it. Srsly. Don't.

mtbr member
    The Jeffco parks allow you to ride for an hour after dark I believe. Green Mountain is the area close to Denver where you can night ride longer.

Thread Terrorist
    Bwaaa haa haa haa haa haa.

Does someone have the shuttle pic of 14 bikes in my truck (yes, from Buff creek).

Yes, you can shuttle it. ...but its more of a point a to point b shuttle, not a DH one.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Don't do it. Srsly. Don't.
    oh, you mean the one that rhymes with Grey?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

fog
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Shodan,
    I liked the Tree Farm, Pontiac Lake, Highland and Island Lake.
    Here I like Buffalo Creek which is similar to these trails but with a little longer climbs; but not as steep. Buffalo Creek has a lot of decomposed granite (gravelly sand) which makes it a little different.
    I think you would like Centennial Cone.
    One of the trails that is somewhat similar to Pontiac Lake is Bear Creek which I like. It has Detroit type climbs and rolls nice. The trails are not as tight here and you have less trees but more rock and not much sand.
    Jeffco Open Space has a few nice trails; but some start with a long climb.
    If you keep working on climbs they do get easier and more enjoyable. I climb then rest then continue. Keep doing it and you slowly stop walking/resting.
    I hope this helps. Keep reading and watching when the high country opens up.
    Another area I like is Winter Park, they have a lot of trails and a good map.
    Enjoy,
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Hey xcguy - you wouldn't think it, but that's what you get in Detroit - lots of singletrack access close to home. I know what you're thinking..."but it doesn't compare to Colorado riding." I know, it doesn't, but I could think of worse places to live if you're a mountain biker.

Not everyone enjoys an epic drive to the trailhead. I live in Fort Collins so I can pedal to my local trails any day of the week. What Colorado could learn from the east is how they cram 10 miles of singletrack into a 1 square mile block, sort of like Ridgeline in Castlerock, and they do this in 10 parks all within a 30 mile radius. I don't prefer this style of trail layout for all my riding, but it's great for local trails, when you want to maximize your mileage in a small city or county park.

Is it really better to live in east Denver, where you can see the mountains all week but can't touch them until the weekend, or to live someplace where you can ride close to home whenever you want?

Tree Farm rocks!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedmindset View Post
    Hey xcguy - you wouldn't think it, but that's what you get in Detroit - lots of singletrack access close to home. I know what you're thinking..."but it doesn't compare to Colorado riding." I know, it doesn't, but I could think of worse places to live if you're a mountain biker.
    Well... I admire your optimism.

<snip>
    Is it really better to live in east Denver, where you can see the mountains all week but can't touch them until the weekend, or to live someplace where you can ride close to home whenever you want?
    I guess some people would answer "yes" to that 1st part - but I suspect they may not really be "mountain bikers"...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedmindset View Post
    Is it really better to live in east Denver, where you can see the mountains all week but can't touch them
    Boulder is NW of Denver, not east.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    what are commute times like from golden to downtown denver in morning rush hour?

friend of Apex
    what are commute times like from golden to downtown denver in morning rush hour?
    Hwy 6 is usually 15 - 20 min, but it depends on where you go after that. I-25 is a cluster just about everywhere. Also, add time for parking somewhere downtown, side streets, etc.

But that will all change next year, when light rail comes to town...

West Rail Line Home

Can't wait!
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Congrats on your escape from Michigan. I've been gone 12 years and have never looked back. The biggest "weird" thing around here is what people call "beaches" and driving their boats around the little bathtub reservoirs. To each their own.

Members who have read this thread: 0