enlightened.
    Dec 2005

free breakfast day, or bike to work day

So a week ago I received my "bike to work day" packet; containing a tee shirt and map. While the rider depicted on the shirt held a striking resemblance to one of my coworkers, this was not what I found most amusing. The map, which doesn't appear to be printed on recycled paper (yup, splitting a hair on this one), has very helpful suggestions like “ride right, walk left” then followed by “follow the rules of the road”. This implies to get off your bike and walk a left turn is a rule of the road. rrrrrrr.

But let's not forget the 117 free breakfast stations. I'm going to eat free bagels 'till I vomit.

On a good note the bike rack in the parking garage of my building had triple the number of bikes, about 15 or so. Granted, I work in a building with 22 floors. Whatever. At least about 0.9% of my building rode a bike to work today

Rolling
    My favorite stop. Breakfast Burritos.

mtbr member
    Burritos and great views? Much better than my stop.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Ideal Market stop was quite excellent.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bike to work everday and found today rather annoying with all the extra bike traffic and boys that wanted to race you if you passed them.

I should have stopped at the breakfast stations and packed my bag full of burritos and other free stuff.....but I was too annoyed to stop.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I didn't stop at the breakfast station on my route, but several people were there eating and resting. I passed FrontRanger and his better half going the other way on the ride in to work today - they were both bringing the Thunder! Hoping everyone made it safely to work and back home again...

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    I bike to work everday and found today rather annoying with all the extra bike traffic and boys that wanted to race you if you passed them.

I should have stopped at the breakfast stations and packed my bag full of burritos and other free stuff.....but I was too annoyed to stop.
    I've not driven to work since 2003 and I would rather deal with more cylists than cars.

No burritos on my route. Just bagels. Plentiful bagels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride into work twice a week only and I was really looking foward to some free grub and sharing the rode with other cyclists today but instead found the other cyclists to be annoying. Also traffic report was saying something about two seperate bike related accidents on Colfax. Bike to work day should have been a day for bike commuters to make a statement about the benefits of cycling but instead it seems like its a day about novice bike commuters riding ther bike into work one day a year so they don't feel so guilty about the car culture they are promoting the rest of the year.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Peej
    I ride into work twice a week only and I was really looking foward to some free grub and sharing the rode with other cyclists today but instead found the other cyclists to be annoying. Also traffic report was saying something about two seperate bike related accidents on Colfax. Bike to work day should have been a day for bike commuters to make a statement about the benefits of cycling but instead it seems like its a day about novice bike commuters riding ther bike into work one day a year so they don't feel so guilty about the car culture they are promoting the rest of the year.
    At least they are getting out there. If this one day a year shows so-called novice cyclists that riding your bike to work can be enjoyable, easy and fun perhaps they will do it more often.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    My favorite stop. Breakfast Burritos.

And rock star sunglasses! Did you get the last pair?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

contains quinine
    The best part for me was getting home to the "pre-dinner station." My wife bought beers that match my jersey!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike to work day should have been a day for bike commuters to make a statement about the benefits of cycling but instead it seems like its a day about novice bike commuters riding ther bike into work one day a year so they don't feel so guilty about the car culture they are promoting the rest of the year.
    On my DRIVE home today ( ) I saw some poor sap on a mountain bike, a little past the Morrison exit/entrance heading westbound, cliiiimbing...on the I-70 shoulder! If he was lucky the State Patrol picked him up.

I'm willing to bet he was one of the enthusiastic ones this morning

Ed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I didn't stop at the breakfast station on my route, but several people were there eating and resting. I passed FrontRanger and his better half going the other way on the ride in to work today - they were both bringing the Thunder! Hoping everyone made it safely to work and back home again...
    JSD303 was moving so fast I barely had time to snap a quick pic. Hope all your teeth survived....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I thought it would be nice to have some company on the ride in today. But I, too, found it a little annoying to have to deal with traffic on the bike paths. I'm used to being able to fly along at a good pace and today had to keep passing people toodling along on their comfort bikes.

HOWEVER, the free juice and mini-muffins made up for it. And once I left the bike paths it was the usual commute. Just cars and potholes to deal with (-:

The weird thing was, there seemed to be more vehicular traffic today than usual. Funny, because there were a lot of people on bikes...

mtbr member
    Love the attitude. One thing I constantly hear from my non-biking friends, and often students I teach who don't ride, is how cyclists come off as super arrogant. Commuting is rad, but it's not like were walking on water here. We can argue till the cows come home about trail/user density, but it's pretty hard to argue convincingly that less bike commuters is a better thing in the big picture. So you had to slow down occassionally to let a newby go by. Enjoy the slow down, say hi, and maybe that newbie will live by the mantra "one less car." Act like an ass and that newbie will just as likely say to hell with this.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    And rock star sunglasses! Did you get the last pair?
    Damn you are observant!

Yep. I took those shades and rode off!

Always wondered what MK_ looked like up close...ouch...

and MK_ Idea market is always great...I'm not skipping it this year.

I heard a place out where I live in Gunbarrel had make your own breakfast burritos...I'm sorry I missed it.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

I heard a place out where I live in Gunbarrel had make your own breakfast burritos...I'm sorry I missed it.
    My only stop this year was at Celestial Seasonings. They had little 2 bite burritos and coffee.

And no tea? Huh?

That credit union has been one of my favorite spots for years. Im bummed it's not near my route anymore.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    My workplace is starting a "we'll give you a little bonus $50 a month if you are a daily bike commuter" thing. Sure enough, jsut as I'm leaving.

I somehow doubt I can convince them to give it to me retroactively for the last four years.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I drove past many of you today. I did see one old man on a cruiser bike with apehanger handlebars and a kaiser helmet (spike and everything) with flames painted on it.
    My new job entails working with school staff and other nonprofits to set up their benefits. So work will take me from Broomfield up to Nederland to cover the Boulder Valley district.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    My workplace is starting a "we'll give you a little bonus $50 a month if you are a daily bike commuter" thing. Sure enough, jsut as I'm leaving.

I somehow doubt I can convince them to give it to me retroactively for the last four years.
    No good dead goes unpunished!

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    JSD303 was moving so fast I barely had time to snap a quick pic. Hope all your teeth survived....
    Sure... I ride through foot-deep water holding an umbrella in one hand a million times just fine and the ONE time someone has a camera...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I didn't see any free breakfast in Pueblo-ws. Is it just a Denver thing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would like to see the same interest shown this one day a year the rest of the year.The arrogance and attitude is not meant to discourage newbies, but to push cyclist to commute more. I agree theres a better approach, just having a little fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    Love the attitude. One thing I constantly hear from my non-biking friends, and often students I teach who don't ride, is how cyclists come off as super arrogant. Commuting is rad, but it's not like were walking on water here. We can argue till the cows come home about trail/user density, but it's pretty hard to argue convincingly that less bike commuters is a better thing in the big picture. So you had to slow down occassionally to let a newby go by. Enjoy the slow down, say hi, and maybe that newbie will live by the mantra "one less car." Act like an ass and that newbie will just as likely say to hell with this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    On my DRIVE home today...Ed
    Oh Ed, you DROVE yesterday??...
    Me too...I have failed Bike to Work day.
    Hitting any evening rides this way next week at all??
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

icanseeformiles(andmiles)
    since I'm not currently with job, missed the free breakfast, but did get to cope with what seemed like more than the usual number of clueless drivers on 28th.
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    To differentiate riders by the type of surface frequented is IMO the height of foolishness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would love it if there were more commuters on the streets and less cars but people commuting still need to follow rules and not impede with traffic. I saw many people riding way outside the bike lane because they were riding in with someone else and I saw bunches of people blow lights. Pissing drivers off on the one day we can come together and show them that we can all share the road is not the right thing to do.

I love the newbies out there on their super old sqeaky bikes or sport comfort touring bikes....I welcome them, they are the ones willing to say "morning" back to you when you pass them. It's the racer boys who think it's a race to get to work that drive me nuts...save the race for another day, I'm just a girl trying to get to/from work safely.

Happy commuting!

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Oh Ed, you DROVE yesterday??...
    Me too...I have failed Bike to Work day.
    Hitting any evening rides this way next week at all??
    Yup, I drove on BtWD. BUT I've generally been doing great this year and getting in 2 to 3 bike commutes a week - it's been awesome

Stay in touch about evening rides next week. Ribs are feeling better I gather? I'll send you a note.

Ed

mtbr member
    I biked to work yesterday and met up with a blue eyed, blond haired Austrialian surfer girl at the old town breakfest post, I thought I would have been the guy that goes the farthest but someone in Rist canyon does 18 miles (36 round trip). I also went to the bike show where there was a guy with a 37' schwinn prototype with wooden rims and a fish bike
    No one ever got ahead by following the status quo
    06' GT i-Drive 5 4.0
    99' Concord ProFever
    Myspace

Members who have read this thread: 0