mtbr member

Fort Collins - trail access questions - Maxwell and Horsetooth park

So I've been hearing a couple of different rumors and wanted to see if any of this was true -
    Maxwell is going to be changed into a 8' wide all weather/ purpose trail?
    Horsetooth park at some point will be banning mountain bikes altogether?

If both of these things are true, this will be a huge blow to local riders...

Formerly of Kent
    Where’d you hear these things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Overland mountain bike club

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by cbgoring View Post
    So I've been hearing a couple of different rumors and wanted to see if any of this was true -
    Maxwell is going to be changed into a 8' wide all weather/ purpose trail?
    Horsetooth park at some point will be banning mountain bikes altogether?

If both of these things are true, this will be a huge blow to local riders...
    As a long-time member of Overland, I have not heard either of these from anyone at Overland and have not seen either in any communications from Overland.

I volunteer on the Fort Collins Natural Areas advisory board and have not heard anything about a wholesale Maxwell sanitization. However, given the high amount of use, the frequent closures due to muddy conditions, and the fact that the trail is the closest to town and the gateway to the reservoir for most users I would not discount the possibility of some kind of changes in the future. The high level of traffic on the trail requires frequent maintenance in order to try and sustain it. The Foothills Natural Areas Management Plan is being updated in 2019, at which time the management and future of the foothills natural areas will be discussed. There will be open houses for citizen input. As a community member and mountain biker, be sure to attend these meetings and submit your comments and input.

For a less crowded and more challenging trail experience, I'd suggest either of the Foothills Trail sections climbing up from the end of Laporte Avenue to the reservoir. They are both more challenging to climb and descend and I rarely see anyone else on them.

As for Horsetooth, in my 32 years of riding there I have never heard any rumors about closing it to mountain bikes. Wednesday evening I had a discussion with a member of the Larimer County Natural Resources department and heard that there has been some discussion about possibly adding some trails for more efficient connections and maybe closing other under-used trail to de-fragment wildlife habitat, but this has only been floated as ideas and is not policy. They mentioned that most of the trails there are old livestock and ranch access trails and were not built for sustainability, so some improvement is needed in places. There is also talk of adding some new trail in newly acquired additional acreage. Overland has been in on discussions about this and is hoping to have some of that open to bikes. Larimer County Natural Areas is going through management plan updates in 2019 and is having open houses for citizen input.

If you are an active member of the Overland Mountain Bike Association, you receive alerts about these city and county open space meetings in your email and they are posting them on their FB page. If we are to have any say in these management plans, we need to show up and voice our opinions and be informed. I see few of my fellow bikers at these events.

Formerly of Kent
    Well said, Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, Mike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Would love to see:
    1. A trail following the contour at the bottom of the Carey Spring DH that skips the needless climb on the way to Loggers.
    2. A trail from the bottom of the Stout DH that continues as a DH all the way down to Sodderberg.
    3. A trail that gets bikes off the road between Blue Sky and the upper parking lot.
    4. A chairlift.