crashes in parkinglot

Formula K24 Oro bleed issues

Howdy folks,
    I posted this in the Brake Time forum, but no replies, maybe some of the folks here can help me out.

I was doing my first bleed of the K24 Oro brakes after having them for 2-3 years. The bleed on the front break went great got some bubbles out, took out the dot4 fluid that looked like snot.

Moved onto the rear brakes, removed the plug at the caliper and inserted the syringe with the new fluid. Removed the plug at the lever and inserted the syringe with very little fluid. I insert about 3-5 oz of fluid from syringe 1 (at the caliper) all the while syringe two is being filled with the same amount of fluid. Then the flow stops, even though I'm pushing on syringe 1. I got a little ambitious and didn't stop and pushed enough to pop the inside of the caliper (don't know tech name, its the part that moves the pad against the rotor) out and leaked fluid all over the floor.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what happened. Fluid was moving along the line or syringe 2 wouldn't have gotten any fluid in the beginning. The breaks were working well enough for a rear break on Sat (though I'm sure there was air in there before, as I'm sure there is air in there now).

What am I doing wrong? or do I need to replace the line, banjo or other part to get everything "clean" again?

I've bled Hayes, Magura (rim breaks) etc, and never had this kind of issue before.

Thank you
    ETR
    Down is the new up.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Howdy folks,
    I posted this in the Brake Time forum, but no replies, maybe some of the folks here can help me out.

I was doing my first bleed of the K24 Oro brakes after having them for 2-3 years. The bleed on the front break went great got some bubbles out, took out the dot4 fluid that looked like snot.

Moved onto the rear brakes, removed the plug at the caliper and inserted the syringe with the new fluid. Removed the plug at the lever and inserted the syringe with very little fluid. I insert about 3-5 oz of fluid from syringe 1 (at the caliper) all the while syringe two is being filled with the same amount of fluid. Then the flow stops, even though I'm pushing on syringe 1. I got a little ambitious and didn't stop and pushed enough to pop the inside of the caliper (don't know tech name, its the part that moves the pad against the rotor) out and leaked fluid all over the floor.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what happened. Fluid was moving along the line or syringe 2 wouldn't have gotten any fluid in the beginning. The breaks were working well enough for a rear break on Sat (though I'm sure there was air in there before, as I'm sure there is air in there now).

What am I doing wrong? or do I need to replace the line, banjo or other part to get everything "clean" again?

I've bled Hayes, Magura (rim breaks) etc, and never had this kind of issue before.

Thank you
    ETR
    You may have introduced some contaminant, like dirt, into the system when you opened it up and it clogged the fluid run off on the caliper side. What you popped out is a piston. Try refilling it from the back and capture the fluid at the lever.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've never had any problems bleeding my K24's before. I'd call or email the folks at Formula USA in Cali. They have always been quick to respond and very helpful when I've run into issues. Contact info is available on their web site. Good luck.

i can't type the letter s
    Push the caliper drums back in with a screw driver. I'm assuming you removed the brake pads, if you didn't, remove them now. If you get fluid on them they are toast, buy new pads. After you've pushed the drums back in, place a wedge between the drums inside the caliper, this will prevent the drums from being pushed out again.

Start over again and re-bleed the brakes. For the rear caliper it is easier to bleed the brakes when the caliper and reservoir are level or the caliper is slightly higher than the res. This will ensure that you don't introduce bubbles back in the system when you replace the syringe with the set screw. Also since the caliper bleed port is on the side it is easier to take the caliper off and lay the caliper on its side so the port hole is facing up.

Be careful you don't lose the o-ring, it's difficult to see in the rear caliper. And sometimes it wants to pop out. I think you can bleed it with it in but I always remove it before I screw the syringe in. PM me if you have any more questions. I'm pretty good at these brakes.

crashes in parkinglot
    Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a whirl tonight again and see if I can figure out what I've done. I might just replace the banjo and other conenctor bits as I should probably shorten the hose a bit.

I always remove my pads and wheel when doing stuff with oil, so I'm good on that front. MJ, if I have any issues I'll shoot you a PM.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member

ask me how i know

brakes are overrated.

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    brakes are overrated.

Yeah they just add weight and slow you down
    Down is the new up.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    If you get fluid on them they are toast, buy new pads.

I've had decent luck de-contaminating my pads by soaking them overnight in isopropyl alcohol, but YMMV.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I've had decent luck de-contaminating my pads by soaking them overnight in isopropyl alcohol, but YMMV.
    Cool. I've never got oil on pads so I've never had to restore the pads. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0