Bad Case of the Mondays

That fly ad is pissing me off...

I keep getting this buzzing sound every 5 seconds, freaking annoying.
    I know I can mute my speakers, but then I can't have ITunes going on.

Anyone have any idea how to make it stop? I can't use the stop button on IE, it appears to be a Shockwave plugin. I am thinking about uninstallign the shockwave plugin, any other ideas?

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, refresh this page once or twice and you'll get this "Swat the fly and win..." ad at the top.

eci
    pull out your shot gun, take your speakers up to left hand canyon. Place your speakers approx 35 feet away from you. Mak sure to aim dead center. Shoot them. This should displace the speaker enought that you will only hear your music and nothing else

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    pull out your shot gun, take your speakers up to left hand canyon. Place your speakers approx 35 feet away from you. Mak sure to aim dead center. Shoot them. This should displace the speaker enought that you will only hear your music and nothing else
    Well as helpful as that would be, I think I'll pass.

For anyone else who wants a real solution, I found a plug-in for Mozilla Firefox that let me get rid of it entirely (don't even see it on the page anymore). Its called Flashblok and you can get it from the Tools > Extensions menu. I also installed an extension called Adblock, so it could be that one that is doing the trick.

locked - time out
    Not sure what ad you are referring to - is it a popup?

I've been using Firefox for some time now and am extremely pleased with it - there is a noticable difference in the speed at which it loads pages (compared to IE) and it has reduced the amount of spy / adware found on my laptop by 95%.

It's funny - the other day I visited mtbr from one of the desktops here in the bank and wondered why I kept recieving popups, it took me a few minutes to realize that it is because mine is the only computer here on which I have installed Firefox (I wanted to install it on all machines, but it would be impractical given the variety of banking related sites - which require IE to function correctly - that are used by most here). Check it out, it's super easy to install , it even asks you if you want to import favorites and other settings from IE, it's free, it's more secure (most spy/malware is written for IE)and it beats the piss out of IE in terms of speed. You'll be happy that you switched, seriously.

http://www.mozilla.org/

locked - time out
    AAHHHHhhh. figures. I just saw the ad you are referring to. I still think you should give Firefox a shot though.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    AAHHHHhhh. figures. I just saw the ad you are referring to. I still think you should give Firefox a shot though.
    I am already on Firefox. I agree its worlds better, love the tabbed browsing.

...drat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Well as helpful as that would be, I think I'll pass.

For anyone else who wants a real solution, I found a plug-in for Mozilla Firefox that let me get rid of it entirely (don't even see it on the page anymore). Its called Flashblok and you can get it from the Tools > Extensions menu. I also installed an extension called Adblock, so it could be that one that is doing the trick.
    I'm really liking Adblock. In addition to blocking flash ads, I see no more banner ads either. If this fly ad is a popup, though, that could just be the built in popup blocking of Firefox.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub

Thanks for the tip Jdub, that is awesome - I can't wait to block that "Tell us whose @ss this is and win a bunch more free adware" ad on this site now that I blocked the source of "the fly".

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchuck
    I'm really liking Adblock. In addition to blocking flash ads, I see no more banner ads either. If this fly ad is a popup, though, that could just be the built in popup blocking of Firefox.
    I just installed it, but it seems really cool. It gets rid of the ads off the page entirely, gives you more useable screen room.

Just for illustration purposes, here is a before and after....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    It's funny - I haven't seen this ad yet - all I see is what is in your "after" pic. I don't get any banner ads.

...drat...
    Oh, I never block ads on MTBR, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The proxomitron is the ultimate in ad / flash / anything you dislike blocking based on regular expressions you define.
    "I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a flower, never see a view--get hot, juicy, red--like a grilled chop. Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road, and cursing aloud at myself for doing it."

--H.G. Wells, The Wheels of Chance

Bodhisattva
    Funny,
    I almost posted the same complaint on "general" this morning. Drove me nuts and makes me instantly click off pages that have it.
    Not a problem at home where I use Apple Safari.

I followed the above advice at my office and whacked the monitor with a 2 x 4. All is better.

user-created

Buzz Off

I just reloaded about 50 times in hopes of seeing this "fly", no luck.

Apparently mortgage rates have dropped, though.

I'm using straight Mozilla 1.7.3, maybe flys are scared of lizards.
    Last edited by singletrack; 02-23-2005 at 07:08 PM.

Cynical Bystander
    Ads suck, except for the True one that shows up on here from time to time. I like that one a lot, except for sometimes it distracts me from posts. :drool:
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.