Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail- Mtbr.com
    Candlestick Maker

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail

I was digging through boxes of old pics today and ran across some pics from the 1994 World Mountain Bike Championships in Vail. I remember it being a pretty awesome event to attend. We camped off of a dirt road across the valley from the ski resort and would ride our bikes back and forth to the events. I'm sure some of the other old-timers around here attended, too.

You might recognize a few of the faces...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1994-worlds-pic-4-furtado.jpg  

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1994-world-pic-3.jpg  

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1994-worlds-pic-1.jpg  

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1994-worlds-pic-2.jpg  

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1994-worlds-pic-5-overend.jpg  

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1994-worlds-pic-6.jpg  

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1994-worlds-pic-7.jpg  

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1994-worlds-pic-8-tinker.jpg  

baker

slow
    Thanks for the memories. I was living in Summit County at the time and popped over the pass for the XC, dual slalom, and observed trials. A friend was competing in the observed trials on the Yeti team. I watched much of the XC race from right below Bailey's Bail-out to catch any potential carnage.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Thanks for the memories. I was living in Summit County at the time and popped over the pass for the XC, dual slalom, and observed trials. A friend was competing in the observed trials on the Yeti team. I watched much of the XC race from right below Bailey's Bail-out to catch any potential carnage.
    Bailey's Bailout! I was trying to remember the name. Riders were crashing and their bikes were actually going into the crowd. Fun times and definitely not some BS flow course. NTTIAWT

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was there. Without a camera. Scenes I remember: the start of the men's cross country race. Unbelievable acceleration, Tinker in the lead. Bailey's Bailout provided lots of great carnage, as noted. Some would dismount and run down the chute, others would throw caution to the wind and plunge straight down, usually with bad outcomes.

I missed my 5 seconds of fame at the trials when I was straddling my bike, whatever it was at the time, near the start line. Hans Rey came up, getting ready. He looked back at me and said "are you going"? I should have replied "No way, Rey" but I just shook my head.
    Wait your turn, take your turn, cover your azz John Correia

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I missed my 5 seconds of fame at the trials when I was straddling my bike, whatever it was at the time, near the start line. Hans Rey came up, getting ready. He looked back at me and said "are you going"? I should have replied "No way, Rey" but I just shook my head.
    Haha, that’s awesome! Hans was one of my heroes back in the day. He inspired me to attempt to up my tech skills, strapping on shin guards and knee pads and flailing around any obstacle I could find in Palmer Park. That practice helped a ton, but I never approached the skills even mediocre trials riders had.
    baker

Moderator Moderator
    I was there for the downhill. It was entertaining watching people riding far above the technology at the time. Remember those undamped rubber band DH bikes? Those were hilarious

Candlestick Maker
    bike tech has come a long way in the past 25 years...
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was looking at the podium: do these names sound familiar? Women's xc winner Alyson Sydor. Women's downhill winner Missy Giove. Junior downhill women's winner Anne-Caroline Chausson. Tinker Juarez placed second in the xc behind Henrik Djernis. Junior downhill mens was Nicolas Vouilloz.

I remember watching the tail end of the man's xc racers struggling through, huffing and puffing. I was thinking "welcome to racing at 9000' ".

Chronic 1st-timer
    A few shots I took at Helen, GA for NORBA Nat'l Champ race in Sept '95. (cameras have come a long way, too)

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1995.09-norba-natl-champ-helen-3.jpg
    Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1995.09-norba-natl-champ-helen-4.jpg
    TJ

Flashback pics - 1994 Worlds in Vail-1995.09-norba-natl-champ-helen-5.jpg
    JT
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing those pics, baker! I was there watching the DH. I'm actually in the third pic you posted, in the group of people watching behind the tape (left of the rider). So cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I was there for the downhill. It was entertaining watching people riding far above the technology at the time. Remember those undamped rubber band DH bikes? Those were hilarious
    Had one. Pro-Flex 854. Even had the Girvin fork, too.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by jbadger1977 View Post
    Thanks for sharing those pics, baker! I was there watching the DH. I'm actually in the third pic you posted, in the group of people watching behind the tape (left of the rider). So cool.
    Amazing coincidence!
    baker

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jbadger1977 View Post
    Had one. Pro-Flex 854. Even had the Girvin fork, too.
    Oh no, a proflex was the space shuttle compared to these. If memory serves, they were from Colorado Springs. Riders would pogo by rattling and bouncing all over.

https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retr...lp-577569.html

At that world championship dh, I was like “I could do this! And be competitive!” At the 2001 version, I was like “No freakin way” NV and ACC were crushing everyone, a level above.

Candlestick Maker
    Hah, I don't think I ever saw those Crestone full suspension bikes. Wow.

By the time I could justify a full suspension, things were much better with the Tomac 78 Special. Picked up at Colorado Cyclist back when I'd scour the return bins for deals on a regular basis. I loved that bike, only ditching it when the non-replaceable hanger was mangled beyond repair.
    baker

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post

You might recognize a few of the faces...
    Bringing me back Baker! I rode up the chairlift with John Tomac in 1993 or 1994 at one of Grundig World Cups at Hunter Mountain NY, super cool and down to earth guy.

Headshock, Grip Shift, Onza Porcupine tires, bar ends, 140+mm stems, O.G. Judy Rock Shox, Joytech and Cook Bros Racing, Ringle purple stuff.

Tinker really hasn't aged I am pretty sure.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Bringing me back Baker! I rode up the chairlift with John Tomac in 1993 or 1994 at one of Grundig World Cups at Hunter Mountain NY, super cool and down to earth guy.
    That's pretty neat!
    baker

mtbr member
    Fantastic pics!
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm getting these updates in my inbox about recent posts on this thread and here is the link, I kid you not:

http://url791.mtbr.com/wf/click?upn=...0mMOyuVefH8qyc

Well...it shortens up into what you see but the link for me is 9 lines of random letters and numbers. Maybe it's like that in your inbox