mtbr member
    Aug 2010

First mtb trip to CO - where to ride in late May

My brother and I just booked flights out to Denver for May 25-28 and originally were hoping to ride in Crested Butte. After hearing recently from multiple sources that the bike season doesn't really start in Crested Butte until about mid June or later, we're looking for alternative places to ride. Can anybody recommend some good technical, scenic trail systems that might be open in late May?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Forget CB that early. As far as other good trails? Where to start? There might be more info on this forum if you searched for it.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

I'm with stupid
    I think I read somewhere that salida has good riding around that time frame. I'm hoping someone can confirm this.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Grand Junction/Fruita/Moab and the Front Range are going to be your options. Lower trails around Durango are open that early, too.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Similar questions answered in this thread

let me know if you need/ want a guide for buff creek
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Buff Creek and almost all FR open space parks should be fine by then. Much of Salida and Arkansas Valley BV will be good although high elevation stuff like the Crest will not be ready. Fruita, Grand Junction will be starting to get hot by then but on any given day it might not be too bad. High elevation towns like CB, Breckenridge, Winter Park, etc will just be starting to open up in the lower elevation.

The lower elevation stuff in the Eagle valley (town of Eagle, Edwards) will be good but higher stuff around Vail will not.

Bottom line: There will be plenty of riding that time of year but once you start getting above 10,000' you're in the transition time of year and most likely you'll get skunked.

Thread Terrorist
    What zrm said. Hang out and enjoy the front range! Chicks are hotter in downtown denver anyways.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I think I read somewhere that salida has good riding around that time frame. I'm hoping someone can confirm this.

I tapped that
    Yep, normal years late May sees pretty much everything around here open. Only the Crest really is still out of reach. There's a heck of a lot of excellent riding around here that isn't the Crest. You could definitely stay busy for three days.

But...

That isn't a whole bunch of time. You could conserve on time spent running around and stay down on the Front Range and have lots to ride. Buffalo Creek will be sweet then, Jeffco Open Spaces, maybe some of the NoCo stuff around Ft Collins.

And I definitely concur with what IndecentExposure says about females. We have some hot ones up here, but there's a total of about 18 in the whole county, and at any one time only a couple of them are available. If you'd like to chase women when you're off-duty Denver would be the choice.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Id say Grand Junction or Friuta...Thats way to early for Crested Butte..

Team Velveeta™

Mammary Day

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Yep, normal years late May sees pretty much everything around here open. Only the Crest really is still out of reach. There's a heck of a lot of excellent riding around here that isn't the Crest. You could definitely stay busy for three days...
    Just noticed that what you're talking about is Mammary Day Weekend. That's another argument for Denver. All the vacation spots will be overrun. There are lots of motel rooms up here in Salida, so you wouldn't find a problem getting one, but the good ones will be booked. And there will be lots of peoples around. Denver might actually be a little less busy than normal. Buff Creek maybe not...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The lunch loops in Grand Junction have excellent technical and freeride trails. Usually have a shuttle running for the downhill as well on Fri - Sunday. (The bigger drops all have ride-arounds as well)
    Fruita also has some great technical rides.
    Weather will be fine.
    Scenery - dessert and canyons if you like that kinda stuff
    Far less crowds than Denver and the Front Range although the riding is good.

Members who have read this thread: 0