Living the High Life

Finally, Some Realized It

I've always wondered about the left lane campers. Sure they're going the speed limit, but they get passed on the right. Isn't that more of a hazard than going 10 over? Apparently people are starting to realize that.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...you-crazy.aspx

I usually give people time. But after a few minutes I'll warn my passengers "I'm going to drive like an A-Hole now".

Ever had to pass using the far right lane on I-70 because 2 people are going 65 mph side by side in the left and center lane? Exactly.

holding back the darkness
    The true problem here is not solvable through enforcement. It is the crux of humanity. The issue at the heart of most of our issues as a society and as a race.
    People are oblivious. People live in little impermeable bubbles of self-concern. I believe that most of those folks aren't camped out in the left lane out of malice or disdain for other drivers, it's just that they exist under the pretext that the rest of the motorist world revolves around them, and so why shouldn't traffic simply conform to their will as well?
    People are idiots. I really hate to say it because as I do I will also admit that I have great love and respect for my fellow humans, but I also harbor an equal cavernous hole of disappointment in my heart for people who fail to utilize their brains and plod through their existence with their minds disengaged. Like the left-lane campers.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I've always wondered about the left lane campers. Sure they're going the speed limit, but they get passed on the right. Isn't that more of a hazard than going 10 over? Apparently people are starting to realize that.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...you-crazy.aspx

I usually give people time. But after a few minutes I'll warn my passengers "I'm going to drive like an A-Hole now".

Ever had to pass using the far right lane on I-70 because 2 people are going 65 mph side by side in the left and center lane? Exactly.
    By far and away, my biggest driving issue. In a tourist town, like Durango, it is even worse as we have lots of out-of-towners who are apparently here on a mental vacation as well.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Moosehead
    halleleujah to the thought of fast lane squatters getting ticketed, or creepers that move into left lanes without any regard for upcoming traffic or flow. i've tried in vain for years to edumacate slopokin, using both nice and aggressive techniques. unfortunately it's regularly safer and feasible to pass in the right lane, espec on I70. before anyone freaks, i always yield and am nice guy on the mtbr trails.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    It is the crux of humanity. People are idiots. Like the left-lane campers.
    Summed it up for ya I agree though, its the thought that we are all beautiful and unique snowflakes, but really we are the same decaying matter as anything else. <-- a bit of the Tyler Durden philosophy there.

mtbr member
    Glad it is finally getting some publicity.

Generally speaking, I do believe that folks who go less than the speed limit are more dangerous than those who go over. (All other factors remaining the same)

stupid unique snowflakes...
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Living the High Life
    You know Ryan, I've known your screen name for a long time, I just realized what it means

Yappy little dog!

That depends on what part of I-70. Last time I checked, it didn't hit 70 MPH until after Eagle going West.

Rolling
    The impeding the flow of traffic law was passed in Colorado a couple years ago but i have seen no effect of it's passage.

mtbr member
    You know Ryan, I've known your screen name for a long time, I just realized what it means
    haha silly wabbit!

Biker? I don't even know her.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    While I agree with subliminalshiver's point about some of them being oblivious, I've known a couple people who actually do get off on pissing people off by driving slowly in the fast lane. I wouldn't have believed it had I not heard it with my very own ears (like I could hear it with someone else's?). Anyway, a woman I support at work mentioned that she had a great drive to work one day. She explained how much she loved to piss people off by driving slowly in the fast lane and make the drivers behind her go crazy. The drivers who became incredibly agitated made her the happiest, because then she "owned them" and made them "her b*tch", as she put it... She would slow down and drive next to cars while the person behind her went absolutely nuts, sending shivers of joy up and down her spine. Then she'd speed up and race them so they couldn't pass when there were no cars in the opposite lane, only to slow back down and drive next to another car as soon as possible. She did it as often as possible, because it was such a fun game for her. I've since heard another guy basically say the same thing... So those freaks are out there. While I don't believe those people represent the majority of left-lane campers, I know they exist.

I remember in Los Angeles (20 years ago) we had a law that big semi trucks weren't allowed in the fast lane except to pass, or would be given a $150 fine... I could support a no big-rig trucks in the fast lane (except to pass) law.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Coming from the Nascar lovin East Coast...I call these people Pole Posistioners and they exsist on every road out there...Last night headed south on 93...south lane single file, guy in front of me was going 45-55 speeding up slowing down...went to pass when the south side became double lanes and he sped up to 75 to keep me and the car behind me from passing...back to single file and he slowed back to to his yoyoing 45-55mph....I need Nitrous on the Altima to handle these fools.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    ...went to pass when the south side became double lanes and he sped up to 75 to keep me and the car behind me from passing...back to single file and he slowed back to to his yoyoing 45-55mph....I need Nitrous on the Altima to handle these fools.
    I had a guy try that, and I toasted his stupid coffee can muffler 4 banger with my truck

Heathen
    left lane campers, that's by far my biggest issue with drivers.

Next is parking outside the lines. I want a law making it legal to slash tires and key paint on any vehicle not parked entirely in it's own space. The more expensive the car, the more damage allowed.

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    While I agree with subliminalshiver's point about some of them being oblivious, I've known a couple people who actually do get off on pissing people off by driving slowly in the fast lane. I wouldn't have believed it had I not heard it with my very own ears (like I could hear it with someone else's?). Anyway, a woman I support at work mentioned that she had a great drive to work one day. She explained how much she loved to piss people off by driving slowly in the fast lane and make the drivers behind her go crazy. The drivers who became incredibly agitated made her the happiest, because then she "owned them" and made them "her b*tch", as she put it... She would slow down and drive next to cars while the person behind her went absolutely nuts, sending shivers of joy up and down her spine. Then she'd speed up and race them so they couldn't pass when there were no cars in the opposite lane, only to slow back down and drive next to another car as soon as possible. She did it as often as possible, because it was such a fun game for her. I've since heard another guy basically say the same thing... So those freaks are out there. While I don't believe those people represent the majority of left-lane campers, I know they exist.
    I've encountered the same thing including a friend back in college that refused to let anyone pass him on the right. He'd get p!ssed and speed up.

All this lends credence to what I've been saying all along. Cars need weapon systems. In high school a friend of mine built a lard cannon that we intended to install on my car. The project was stalled due to a aqua-net fireball that sent me to the ER. But maybe the time has come to bring the old lard cannon out of mothballs....
    **** censorship

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    All this lends credence to what I've been saying all along. Cars need weapon systems. In high school a friend of mine built a lard cannon that we intended to install on my car. The project was stalled due to a aqua-net fireball that sent me to the ER. But maybe the time has come to bring the old lard cannon out of mothballs....
    When can you install this on my XTerra? Make that 4, one facing each direction.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Last night headed south on 93...south lane single file, guy in front of me was going 45-55 speeding up slowing down...went to pass when the south side became double lanes and he sped up to 75 to keep me and the car behind me from passing...back to single file and he slowed back to to his yoyoing 45-55mph
    Sorry - that was me - I was pissed at you for making me go ride what felt like 35 miles in 6" of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    Next is parking outside the lines. I want a law making it legal to slash tires and key paint on any vehicle not parked entirely in it's own space. The more expensive the car, the more damage allowed.
    What if they're parked at an angle/outside the lines way out in the lot where noone else is? Still OK to vandalize the car? Or just OK then to park right beside them in that case? A lady does that with her Caddy here at work, and I give her a little grief about it.

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    What if they're parked at an angle/outside the lines way out in the lot where noone else is? Still OK to vandalize the car? Or just OK then to park right beside them in that case? A lady does that with her Caddy here at work, and I give her a little grief about it.
    No exceptions!! Infact, use a sledgehammer since you have already warned her.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    The impeding the flow of traffic law was passed in Colorado a couple years ago but i have seen no effect of it's passage.
    Yup.

It doesn't work here.

There aren't enough State Troopers to hand out tickets for this infraction.

Sadly... I think it will continue business as usual.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    left lane campers, that's by far my biggest issue with drivers.

Nope - you can't do it. Because if one guy parks outside the lines the guy next to him may be FORCED to park outside his lines out of necessity... and then the first guy leaves and you have the (incorrect) impression that the second guy's an a$$. Which in this case, he's not...

I don't let this one bother me...

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Sorry - that was me - I was pissed at you for making me go ride what felt like 35 miles in 6" of snow.
    I think you led that ride my brother. I think it was WKD and myself who convinced ya we need to turn around....I was thinking we need to build an igloo with route you had in mind

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    American drivers are often clueless. And in colorado, it seems like the left lane is the slow lane. But its not like that everywhere - particularly in germany. I visited there for work once, and people get out of your way very consistently. What's the deal?

It may be that the requirements for getting a driver's license in germany are much stricter, with better driver training and etc. But I think one thing that's different in germany is that if you are sitting in the left lane at 70mph, its very possible (even likely) that someone will come along at 140, and plow into your dumb ass, killing you both. People know this, and drive accordingly.

So the solution for the left lane problem is simple - raise the speed limits to 200mph.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    American drivers are often clueless. And in colorado, it seems like the left lane is the slow lane. But its not like that everywhere - particularly in germany. I visited there for work once, and people get out of your way very consistently. What's the deal?
    I dunno... but it was similar in Italy. Everyone drove very smartly on the Autostrada... but once you got off the highway - it was complete and utter chaos. 4 lanes of traffic in 2 actual lanes... people driving on sidewalks... parking sideways... passing like bats out of Hell... it was fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just thought of something useful the LOB Rangers could do on I-70...something of real value.

Your bike is incorrigible
    reminds me of the time i sped up to keep someone from passing me on the river road into moab. he finally passed me when i slowed down to 70.

also had to pass on i-70 using the shoulder. a dude hauling a huge trailer was racing a semi, and they weren't going to stop until the reached gj. ahhh, racing in 2nd is so fun to watch unless you are behind the a-holes.

Gravity Guy
    This drives me absolutely nuts. And then they either speed up when they notice me passing in the right lane or they give me the death stare. I wish I had rocket launchers on my hood.
    BMX: '00 S&M DBC
    Hardtail: '04 Norco Sasquatch
    DH: '05 Giant Faith
    Road: '01 Giant TCR2
    Trail: '08 Rocky Mtn Slayer 70

mtbr member
    This one time... I was driving home after working a 12 hour night shift and encountered this B!tch from Texas driving 35-40 in a 55 through puelo. She was paralell to other cars for miles. After I finally got the chance to pass I slammed on my brakes hard enough that I could hear the rear tires of her truck lock up and squeal. Do you think she got the message? She stayed in the fast lane til I got off the I. I know it was wrong but hell some people just don't give a damn!

percocet pioneer.
    I usually just get physical and push them out of the way. My rig slows down for no one.

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8rbmx
    I wish I had rocket launchers on my hood.
    This was the sentiment behind the lard cannon. But really we didn't want to actually hurt anyone.... not really. But lard.... it would be difficult enough to remove to be a pain in the @ss, and serve as a warning label to other drivers. If, on approach, you noticed the rear of the vehicle spackled with lard you would almost immediately understand that the occupant of the vehicle is an idiot and could make adjustments to your plan (pass, move over, arm your own lard cannon, ect...).
    **** censorship

mtbr member

An excellent suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I just thought of something useful the LOB Rangers could do on I-70...something of real value.
    I was just getting annoyed at myself for reading so far down yet another "the local drivers suck... except for us of course" thread (which, I of course agree with whole heartedly) and then this redeemed the entire thread.

Oh, So Interesting!
    When I had my auto shop I had a black Suburban with tinted windows, a lift, big tires, and a loud exhaust... people got out of the way very quickly. In my '06 Subaru Impreza, nobody gives a f#$k. Unfortunately, there really is nothing you can do. One of my co-workers said a State cop pulled over a driver who was holding up traffic on I-25 a couple days ago, he was going 60 in the laft lane. There is justice sometimes I guess...

mtbr member
    What we really need is a way to communicate to other drivers, how many times do you want to tell that driver just move over far a second and let ALL of us by, not to be rude but to give feedback. Driving is too impersonal, and that leads to rude aggressive behavior. Humanise the behavior so that we can cooperate better on the roads.

mtbr member
    So much anger. So little patience. We all need to have an Rodney King moment and "just get along." The time you lose before you can pass one of these boneheads is really nothing in the big scheme of things. The stress and agrivation (self imposed) is not worth the actual inconvenience.

I will agree that being encased in a motorized metal box can change the most kind, considerate people into maniacal moronic monsters. What is it about cars that does that to people? Maybe one of us can get a government grant to study this phenomenon.
    What, me worry?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was taught to stay right except to pass and that's what I try to do. I don't however have any more affection for the high blood pressure knuckle heads who will tailgate me, flash their lights, crank over into the right lane to pass me before I have a chance to pull over to let them by, when am probably going 5 or so over myself.

Way too many people use their cars as an extension of their egos or other psychological issues and when you read accident reports, Aggressive diving and excessive speed are very high on the list of causes of crashes. Anymore I generally stay pretty close to the speed limit and don't try to race people. IMO dying in an automobile accident, or killing another person is about one of the dumbest, most pointless things imaginable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    ... Aggressive diving and excessive speed ....
    I agree. You should never dive agressively and I always try to limit how much speed I take.
    What, me worry?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dude, you should know speed kills, especially while diving.

Thats all Folks!

Diving?

agree. You should never dive agressively and I always try to limit how much speed I take.
    Make sure you check how deep the water is before you dive. Then for the aggressive dive.. maybe a double gainer with a full twist.
    Back to the thread: Most drivers are clueless. They seem to come out of there auto coma just about the time you’re trying to pass them. I have had a couple of close calls over near Red Rocks. I had one guy speed up and almost put me into head on traffic. This auto coma phenomenon appears to be a lot worse at rush hour. Maybe we could get some of that bailout money and do the study. Who know a Senator?
    Mtn Bmx

Kozos
    Ice Tools
    e-thirteen
    Maxxis
    ODI
    Fiberwise
    Motor Tabs

Members who have read this thread: 0