Thread Terrorist

A few local updates on the BLM / Moab issue

From the Moab Times-Independent

The Moab City Council approved a resolution on Tuesday authorizing Moab Mayor Dave Sakrison to submit a letter of protest to the Bureau of Land Management regarding the inclusion of properties in the Spanish Valley area that are part of the city’s drinking water source in the BLM’s oil and gas lease sale to take place Dec. 19.

The resolution passed, even though the mayor and council had earlier received news that both parcels in the city’s watershed have been deferred and will not be offered at the sale.

Kate Cannon, superintendent of the Southeast Utah Group of the National Park Service which includes Arches and Canyonlands national parks, and Shelley Smith, BLM Canyon Country district manager, updated the city on the lease sale status at the council’s pre-council meeting workshop.

Most of the parcels adjacent to Arches that were scheduled to be included in the sale will also be deferred, the BLM said Tuesday.

Cannon and Smith said they have been working together, along with state BLM Utah Director Selma Sierra, to address issues of potential pollution and contamination of the Glen Canyon aquifer designated as the sole source aquifer to the Moab area.

“We asked the BLM to defer these and other parcels which border Arches Park.” said Cannon. “It’s a hugely complicated issue and now we have more time to address it.”

“How can we help people connect to the information they need so we can all work together?” Smith asked. “It’s not secret, it’s just complicated.”

Sakrison thanked Cannon and Smith for their cooperation in addressing the city’s concerns. Sakrison said he hopes the letter of protest will help lay the groundwork for an official protest if one is needed.

Moab City Manager Donna Metzler supported the resolution approving the letter of protest. “I have reviewed this proposal and the BLM’s Resource Management Plan and based on this review, I recommend that the city proceed with the letter of protest despite the announcement of deferment."

Shattering Glass
    And what about Slickrock, Porc Rim, Sand Flats road etc.... They tell us religiously not to ween off trail, bust the crust, keep the trails singletrack and we actually care about these issues of enviromental concern as MTBR's. Then they go and give these jerkofffs a golden pass to phuck the whole area up for a measly amount of natural resources in the whole scheme of things. A quality Moab experience is in jeapordy. The town will be trashed, The hotels will be full of oil workers. Great people btw. The campsites will be quelled by Halliburton madness. It's just like the Bush administration to never listen to the people. I hope Bush and Cheney gets cancer and are sent to Guantanamo for cockmeat sandwiches. That'll wipe that smirk right off their faces.

I feel better now.

how heavy are you ??

Word!

Quote Originally Posted by dash
    And what about Slickrock, Porc Rim, Sand Flats road etc.... They tell us religiously not to ween off trail, bust the crust, keep the trails singletrack and we actually care about these issues of enviromental concern as MTBR's. Then they go and give these jerkofffs a golden pass to phuck the whole area up for a measly amount of natural resources in the whole scheme of things. A quality Moab experience is in jeapordy. The town will be trashed, The hotels will be full of oil workers. Great people btw. The campsites will be quelled by Halliburton madness. It's just like the Bush administration to never listen to the people. I hope Bush and Cheney gets cancer and are sent to Guantanamo for cockmeat sandwiches. That'll wipe that smirk right off their faces.

I feel better now.
    And have their **** wiretapped, their civil liberties stripped and effen FREEDOM stripped ! Pure A HOLES!
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, but OTOH, it will be easier to score meth while you're in town

Members who have read this thread: 0