Estes Park Rocky Mountain National Park Bike Tours?- Mtbr.com
    29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Estes Park Rocky Mountain National Park Bike Tours?

Any one have any experience with this company: Downhill Bike Tours in Estes Park, Colorado | New Venture Cycling

I'm taking a trip with the family this summer and we are staying in Estes Park for a few nights, and thought I would give this a try. I was going to try and hit the lifts at Winter Park, but that probably won't work out for me this time.

I've cross posted this in the vacation/destination section here as well.

Thanks!

ride
    They take you up the road so you can coast back down. Probably would be pretty fun for the family but if I was riding solo I wouldn't even think about it.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    "Trailbikes, mopeds, and bicycles are prohibited off established roads in Rocky Mountain National Park."

I think bike trails are pretty limited in national parks in general. You're free to ride on the road...but then of course, you're riding on the road which is beyond the scope of this forum. There are a bunch of good trails near by - Lyons, Nederland, Ft Collins, etc... Perhaps a stop at Redstone Cyclery would be in your best interests.

mtbr member
    Ride the road, Trailridge is an awesome ride.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Any one have any experience with this company: Downhill Bike Tours in Estes Park, Colorado | New Venture Cycling
    I'm pretty sure I have seen groups with that company coasting down the canyon from Glen Haven to Drake a couple of times while I was riding to or from the Crosier Mountain trails. They had the van in front driving with the flashers on and leading the group. Like others said, it would be an OK activity for a family who may not be big bikers, but not really much of an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Ride the road, Trailridge is an awesome ride.
    Bonus points for descending it at 50+mph under a full moon at 2:00am. That really gets the blood pumping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Estes Park Rocky Mountain National Park Bike Tours?

I suppose you could "downhill/shuttle" from the estes/crosier trailhead but there's no avoiding climbing on that trail no matter where you get dropped and picked up. The descending is fun though, really fun.

tiny rider
    I've seen the bike tours. They drop a bunch of folks off at the top of Trail Ridge road and let them roll down the pavement. So if everyone is competent on a bike and the weather is nice, it should be a great way to see the park.

However, you need to remember that you are at 12k feet heading down steepish pavement. And there are spots where you likely wouldn't survive missing the pavement. If you are worried one of the family may get gripped looking over 1,000'+ drop-offs you won't really enjoy the trip.

That said, if you can ride up Fall River road (if it's open this year and usually well-groomed dirt) and then come down the pave, that is a nice loop. It's non-technical, but a bit of a grunt due to elevation and length.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer View Post
    That said, if you can ride up Fall River road (if it's open this year and usually well-groomed dirt) and then come down the pave, that is a nice loop. It's non-technical, but a bit of a grunt due to elevation and length.
    Fall River - Trail Ridge loop

mtbr member
    Old Fall River is awesome, especially if you are here during the two weeks a year it is closed to cars.

-Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    What two weeks is Old Fall River closed? I usually head up there from Denver to do photography, would love to bring the mountain bike sometime.

ride
    Trail Ridge opens Memorial Day Weekend at latest. Fall River Rd usually opens to bikes a couple weeks before that.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO