Preemptive Revenger

Epic Rides in Colorado?

Hey All -

What are your favorite epic rides in Colorado, or for that matter the Rocky Mountains?

I'm in better shape than I have been in years, and I'm looking forward to getting out on some loooong rides in the backcountry this summer.

I've ridden Monarch Crest Trail a few times in the last couple of years, and of course I like it, but I'm looking for new, different, and loooonger rides! Maybe 50 miles or so, but certainly longer than the 25 of MCT...let's say a range of 25 to 100 miles. Or, using the better perspective of time frame, maybe 6 to 12 hours of saddle time for a reasonably fit cyclist.

What are your favorites?
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

contains quinine
    About once a year I try to ride to Rollins Pass from Nederland. I ususally run out of time due to all the sidetracking I tend to do, and have to turn back early, but always a big happy day.

How about the sourdough, end to end and back again?

The Rainbow trail is plenty long enough to make an epic out of.

The Laramie Enduro.

Kenosha to Breck on the CO trail.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member

Good job!

Tipperary Creek loop.
    Start in WP ride to Frasier, start climbing, ride til you can't anymore.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    Tipperary Creek loop.
    Start in WP ride to Frasier, start climbing, ride til you can't anymore.

Are you sure you're not refering to the race? Best race to do in WP, you get a sample of everything!

Bodhisattva
    How about up Vail pass to Commando. Down through the back bowls. Up through Minturn to Meadow Mtn. Up & down Meadow Mtn to Eagle-Vail then back to Vail. YOu'd have to contend with bits of road inbetween the trails, but it would cover 6000' elevation over 30-40 miles. Even better, start in West Vail, ride up Davos to the west Vail Trail that parallels I-70. Out to Middle Creek or Son of Middle Creek, then up Vail pass to the above.

mtbr member

Some of my favs..

Monarch Crest, with all of the rainbow trail to Salida, I have only done the common loop, I want to do the whole thing, should be over 50 miles.
    Vail-Two Elk to Minturn, then Meadow Mountain, about 40 miles, I'm usually wasted by the end of that day.
    Durango-Molas Pass to Engineer Mountain to Cascade Creek, if you ride on 550 from cascade creek to Molas Pass and then do the entire trail it's about 50 miles.
    Fruita-All the kokopelli loops-30 milesish??

Professional Lurker
    The Cherry Creek Bike Path!!

haahahaha...just kidding....

Thought we all could use the laugh! I have yet to do any of the above epic rides. I'm such a loser....
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

Obviously Single

A few more ...

Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    Hey All -

What are your favorite epic rides in Colorado, or for that matter the Rocky Mountains?

What are your favorites?
    How about Kokepelli Trail, from Fruita to Moab. (not strictly Colorado)

Also, Angle Fire, NM, to Taos -- about 35 miles of down hill.

Pikes Peak, from above the old Ski Resort down to Manitou Springs (or how about up and back down!).

The airplane big loop, out of Palmer Lake -- about 35 miles, much of which is about 10,000 ft. (There's weeks of riding back in there -- oops, shouldn't have said that.)

There's at least 50 miles of trail by Divide, CO.

How about this: a training ride a friend of mine does for the LT100:

From Colorado Springs, ride to Palmer Lake and back on the bike trail.

Then head up the chutes, up Captain Jacks, then to Jones Park.

Ride up Baldy Mountain, then back down.

You'll be tired. :-)

Oh yeah: one more epic: the Edge Loop in Fruita: lots of road, but epic (was the first IMBA Epic). And then there's the recent IMBA Epic, in Buff Creek (but we all know that area so well, we don't think of it as epic).
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

hari kari
    What are your favorites?
    Three come to mind immediately ...

Two Elk To Minturn - Vail - Basically you ride up Vail mountain on a jeep road, take and take singletrack (Commando, Two Elk) into Minturn and return to Vail via the highway and then bike path.

The Forty Miler - Sh*tty name, I know, but it's the name and it stuck. Every year, usually on Memorial Day weekend we get a group to ride it. We leave our cars at the Waterton parking lot and find some sucker to drive us up to Pine Valley Open Space Park. Then we ride up Buck Gulch, down Gashouse, and take the Colorado Trail all the way back into Littleton. It's forty-some-odd miles with some hell climbing, but it's very fun. And you get to see some parts of the Colorado Trail you never ride.

Hazard County, Moab - Get Jesse to drive you up all the way up to the La Salles and you ride alpine single track down to the lazy-man's entrance to Porcupine Rim. Then you bomb down that into town.

dwj
    mtbr member
    i'll make couple of suggestions close to the springs.

the "ring the peak trail' , a trail that travels all the way around pikes peak. it is said to take 8-10 hrs.

jones park from town takes about 5-6 hours depending on your exact route, the best ride on the frontrange imho.

The airplane big loop, out of Palmer Lake -- about 35 miles, much of which is about 10,000 ft. (There's weeks of riding back in there -- oops, shouldn't have said that.)
    this is a great ride, but only takes about 4hrs. unless he's taking about a bigger loop that i don't know about.

mtbr member
    Hey All -

I'm in better shape than I have been in years, and I'm looking forward to getting out on some loooong rides in the backcountry this summer.

I've ridden Monarch Crest Trail a few times in the last couple of years, and of course I like it, but I'm looking for new, different, and loooonger rides! Maybe 50 miles or so, but certainly longer than the 25 of MCT...let's say a range of 25 to 100 miles. Or, using the better perspective of time frame, maybe 6 to 12 hours of saddle time for a reasonably fit cyclist.

What are your favorites?

Hey tom, me again. Epics are pretty tough to come about this time of year. However there are a couple that have intrigued me.
    1. Morrison->Falcon->Lair O da Bear->74 into evergreen->Dedisse Park->3 sisters-> Bergen->Morrison. That would probably be on 5-6 hour area.

2. Colorado Trail...go as far as ya can before you turn around! Thats playing with your head isn't it?

3. As far as what is the best....The stuff in durango comes to mind. Molas-coal bank....ooohh Thats an awesome ride. The riding in durango is vertical but the colorado trail NEVER DISAPPOINTS!!!!

4. The riding in Breckenridge with a combination of Colorado Trail and the peaks trail would make for a 4-5 hour day.

5. And if you find all of this on the easy side...well here ya go!
    http://www.montezumasrevenge.com/

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Are you sure you're not refering to the race? Best race to do in WP, you get a sample of everything!
    Basically it's the race course, but, towards the end I like to hit Ho Chi Minh trail, a couple of laps around Chainsaw/Zoom/Flume and a few others I can't remember the names of. Ho Chi Minh is a blast!
    And yep it's definitely the best race in WP.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    hit Ho Chi Minh trail.
    Uh, yep.

mtbr member

I've got a few...

1. Fort Collins -- there are numerous ways to hook up a 4-6 hour ride from town here. Here's one: Pineridge north to A-trail, Shoreline to the upper loop on Michaud, road to Lory State Park, Valley trail to Towers Road, Mill Creek, to Valley Trail (insert more loops in Horsetooth Mt Park here to lengthen), then either back on the road around the south end of the res, or back the way you came on dirt.

2. Crested Butte. If you ride from town, any of the "famous" rides (401, Teocalli, Deer Creek, etc) are in the 2.5-4 hour range. It is very easy to "add on" here or there to lengthen any ride. Also, Pearl Pass to Aspen one day and Taylor pass back the next is worthwhile (not for the riding, necessarily, but for the epicness and scenery).

3. Last year we did a two day trip centered in Breck. Day one: Up Tiger Road to the Colorado Trail, then CT all the way down. Something like 35-40 miles. Then Day two: Breck up Wheeler trail, over the top, down to Copper, Bike path to Frisco and Peaks Trail back to Breck. If you're looking for a "sunup to sundown" ride, try these two together in one day. (I think there's an ultra in Breck that does something like that plus more).

on my "to do" list would be Laramie Enduro, Vail Commando, WP Tipperany...

...easy to find similar rides in WP, Steamboat, Vail, etc.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dino

3. Day one: Up Tiger Road to the Colorado Trail, then CT all the way down. Something like 35-40 miles.

on my "to do" list would be Laramie Enduro, Vail Commando, WP Tipperany...
    Tiger Road -> CT, awesome ride. You can hook up a trail to Keystone and then back for some added miles.

Tribe Member
    How about the Jeffco trail epic---Start at Lookout and up Chimney Gulch to Apex to Dakota Ridge to Green Mtn then back over Dakota Ridge and then the road up to Mt Falcon to the top over to Lair of the Bear and then the road back down. Great long ride close to town with bail out points....should be real close to 50 miles
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Preemptive Revenger

A whole summer's worth of fun!

Thanks all for the many fine suggestions! I can't wait to try a few of these!

Of particular interest to me are:
    - a couple of routes that the Montezuma's Revenge trail uses...including biking up a 14er! I've heard of that, but now I know the way
    - The CT trail around Durango, including Molas Pass
    - The CT trail around Breck

Keep 'em coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    How about the Jeffco trail epic---Start at Lookout and up Chimney Gulch to Apex to Dakota Ridge to Green Mtn then back over Dakota Ridge and then the road up to Mt Falcon to the top over to Lair of the Bear and then the road back down. Great long ride close to town with bail out points....should be real close to 50 miles
    DId it last year starting at White Ranch -- Belcher, Shorthorn to Maverick and back down -- though we skipped Green Mtn. Came in at 47 miles with around 6,000 feet of climbing. It's one of my favorite rides. I think we're going to do it once a year.

contains quinine
    reminds me of: Up through White to Golden Gate and back down. Never done it myself, probably should one of these days.

hari kari
    I've ridden Monarch Crest Trail a few times in the last couple of years, and of course I like it, but I'm looking for new, different, and loooonger rides! Maybe 50 miles or so, but certainly longer than the 25 of MCT...
    Dude, dude, dude ... don't tell me you've been riding MCT without Rainbow! If so, you have yet to ride the damn thing. You, my good man, are in for a treat!

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty
    Dude, dude, dude ... don't tell me you've been riding MCT without Rainbow! If so, you have yet to ride the damn thing. You, my good man, are in for a treat!
    Yeah I've ridden MCT trail 3 times, all 3 times with Rainbow down to whatever highway that is. However, the Rainbow trail continues on the other side of the highway and goes to Salida...I've never done it, and I've heard it's not that great since it's pretty chewed up by motorcycles and ATV's...but it's quite a long bit of trail and maybe this summer I'll try it.

Various estimates I've heard are the MCT + Rainbow to the highway takes most groups 3-6 hours. Last summer I did it in 4 and change, I don't remember exactly. This summer I'm in quite a bit better shape, so I'm looking for longer...maybe the full rainbow trail is a good ticket!

dwj
    mtbr member
    the rainbow trail south-east of salida is mostly unridable. we tried to ride from the royal gorge area to salida via the rainbow trail a few years ago. there are many long climbs that are solid skree. if you like pushing your bike give it go, other wise i'd think about a different trail.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i have got quite a few i am dreaming about on this rainy day

1. matchless mtn to dr park (between gunnison and C.B.) can link up all kinds of different ride in that area as well

2. agate creek (which is on the west side of monarch, not as long but more technical and much less crowded

3. Ribbon trail in GJ

lots more but cant think
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dwj

this is a great ride, but only takes about 4hrs. unless he's taking about a bigger loop that i don't know about.
    There are several ways to do the airplane loop.

The most gonzo I've done takes maybe 4 hours, if you ride really hard. Takes me more like 5+ ...

To the airplane, break (that's 2+ hours), then up to Rampart Range road, then over to Balanced Rock Rd., then into Limbaugh Canon, then back roads back to your car.

The first time I did this, as a beginner, I bonked big time.

There are dozens (hundreds) of fired/camping roads and single track (primitive to ATV) back there. And you can ride to Rampart Resv., and hence to Shubarth Rd., the Airforce Acad., take Palmer Trail back.

Oh, yeah, and there's the work center at the end of the ride, if you're not tired yet.

yeah, I'm sure I could do 8 hours easy -- well, maybe not easy.

Point is (perhaps) many places have "trails", roads paved and dirt, etc, that can make a nice long loop if you're creative.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

a dad
    Jan 2004
    have you done the indian creek loop off waterton?? thats pretty cool and feels really remote for being so close, i like that one, don't really know the length, but last time i think it took us 5 hours with lots of stopping and enjoying the day...
    BBZ

rr
    I don't do PC
    The airplane ride sounds nice, I'd like to check it out with someone who knows the route.

Rap- checkout the Kennebec pass ride in Durango, the locals do it from town(huge day!) but I've always done it from the base of the pass, still a ton of climbing and a long day with 5500+ ft of climbing and 20 miles of sweet CT descending back to town-great ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Rap- checkout the Kennebec pass ride in Durango, the locals do it from town(huge day!) but I've always done it from the base of the pass, still a ton of climbing and a long day with 5500+ ft of climbing and 20 miles of sweet CT descending back to town-great ride!
    The "locals" are not very bright!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia

2. agate creek (which is on the west side of monarch, not as long but more technical and much less crowded

3. Ribbon trail in GJ

lots more but cant think
    The one I want to ride is Monarch Crest and then instead of turing East down the Rainbow, turn West on the CT and take it all the way to 114. It's some monster riding back there.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    The one I want to ride is Monarch Crest and then instead of turing East down the Rainbow, turn West on the CT and take it all the way to 114. It's some monster riding back there.
    there is tons of riding in that area, between monarch and needle creek resevior, and over to north pass on 114...i have done razor creek from needle creek and its a cool epic ride where you will see no one....there is quite a bit of riding on monarch that gets overlooked because of the crest trail, but to be honest crest is my least favorite (although still a very nice ride)
    BBZ

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    there is tons of riding in that area, between monarch and needle creek resevior, and over to north pass on 114...i have done razor creek from needle creek and its a cool epic ride where you will see no one....there is quite a bit of riding on monarch that gets overlooked because of the crest trail, but to be honest crest is my least favorite (although still a very nice ride)
    yeah check out the trail map for the vapor trail 125 race in the area...gives hints for some great riding in the area!
    http://www.absolutebikes.com/VaporTrail125.php

contains quinine
    yeah check out the trail map for the vapor trail 125 race in the area...gives hints for some great riding in the area!
    http://www.absolutebikes.com/VaporTrail125.php
    Oooh... That wasn't up the last time I checked there. Thanks!

mtbr member

that looks like a niner ride to me.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I think I've got wood! I'd not want to race that, but it'd be a great & epic 2-3 day ride. Which way doyou think they're going? Clockwise or counterclockwise? I'd guess counterclockwise.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

the cool nerd
    reminds me of: Up through White to Golden Gate and back down. Never done it myself, probably should one of these days.
    excellent ride. did it a few times, even linked it to walker ranch twice. makes for a long day, both times I did it I met friends in Boulder so that I wouldn't have to ride back to Golden, although now that would intrigue me..

the cool nerd
    Thanks all for the many fine suggestions! I can't wait to try a few of these!

Of particular interest to me are:
    - a couple of routes that the Montezuma's Revenge trail uses...including biking up a 14er! I've heard of that, but now I know the way
    - The CT trail around Durango, including Molas Pass
    - The CT trail around Breck

Keep 'em coming!
    tom

I'm tracking down the requested info on lodging in CB. There are plenty of long rides that we can do there, just to make you hurt a little bit

scott

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    I think I've got wood! I'd not want to race that, but it'd be a great & epic 2-3 day ride. Which way doyou think they're going? Clockwise or counterclockwise? I'd guess counterclockwise.
    I think counter-clockwise too...yes I totally agree...that would make for an awesome 2 or 3 day ride!

re: wood: just keep that between you and Randy Ram, OK?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Steamboat Springs!

Start in town. Ride north out of town to Buffalo Pass Road. Ride it east all the way to the top of the pass. Get on the Continental Divide Trail and ride it south to Fish Creek Falls Trail. Ride Fish Creek Falls Trail west (the only way you can go) straight down back into town. I consider Fish Creek Falls Trail a white-knuckle decent. Total distance is about 25-30 miles (perhaps a bit more) with appoximately 4-5,000 feet of climbing.

I saw a bear last year on it and a couple of weasels back in '98.

Start early. Both times I've done this I got caught in very nasty thunderstorms.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons
    Start in town. Ride north out of town to Buffalo Pass Road. Ride it east all the way to the top of the pass. Get on the Continental Divide Trail and ride it south to Fish Creek Falls Trail. Ride Fish Creek Falls Trail west (the only way you can go) straight down back into town. I consider Fish Creek Falls Trail a white-knuckle decent. Total distance is about 25-30 miles (perhaps a bit more) with appoximately 4-5,000 feet of climbing.

Start early. Both times I've done this I got caught in very nasty thunderstorms.
    I need to head up there with Bicycle in tow this summer. Thanks for the brain fodder.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons

I've done that ride, but I shuttled to Buffalo Pass and rode back to Steamboat and down the mtn, it was around 26 miles so if you start from town and climb to the pass it would be a lot more-great ride! Were thinking about doing the 24hour race there and I'm definitely gonna go a day early and do that ride again.

Oh yeah, for you old timers, I did it with Joe Murray and Kent Erickson.
    Last edited by rr; 04-30-2005 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Copper Triangle

Start e of Copper mountain at the Wheeler Flats TH-cross Copper Mountain on The Colorado Trail-go over Searle Pass to Kokomo Pass-descend to Camp Hale-take SR 714 to SR 702 over Ptarmigan Pass-descend Wilder Gulch Trail to The Vail Pass bike path and coast back to The Wheeler Flats TH.

Yet to do: Molas Pass to Durango in one day on the Colorado Trail. This one is 72 miles and 10,000' of climbing.

mtbr member
    WOW!! I am totally impressed with this thread. Love all the suggestions on the maga rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

epic....

indian creek (west of sadalia) the big loop

kenosha to buffalo creek (illegal as far as I know, but how sweet would that be....)

contains quinine
    Found this about the Salida race:
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...848147,00.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

that would definately be pretty damn epic

the loop I mentioned is in sadalia, 16.4 miles, epic but doable for me, long but not technical, remote experience, pack a big lunch

Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffo

kenosha to buffalo creek (illegal as far as I know, but how sweet would that be....)
    Totally do-able. You just have to carry your bike the 8 miles through the Lost Creek Wilderness. Turns a pleasant 22-mile bike ride into an all-day death march. Not the most fun I've ever had...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wow! you guys are making me drool here. now this is what i like. people willing to share their great rides. how about this one. up williams fork northeast of silverthorne. park around the mine railroad tracks. take the south fork of the williams creek. follow the pack trail. it will take you above tree-line and eventually dump you back down bobtail creek. you end up at the end of the road that comes over from jones pass. there is some housing for the mine or the water collection pipes. i can't remember exactly. pass the housing and follow the maintenance road to the north (mostly north). don't go up the hill to jones pass. eventually (8-10 miles i think) you'll get to darling creek trail. turn left and follow it back out to the williams fork valley. if you check this out on map you'll see there are other options available. almost no people up there the last time i rode there 5 or 6 years ago. 5 or 6 hours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barrows
    Yet to do: Molas Pass to Durango in one day on the Colorado Trail. This one is 72 miles and 10,000' of climbing.

this one sounds kick ass!

Preemptive Revenger

*bump*

'Tis the season for epics! Yippee!

try...

From Kenosha via CT over Georgia Pass, stay on CT until Flume Trail #1 make left, then jeep road right steep down/left steep up to Flume Trail #2 (hidden) to jeep road again (by mines) up to Flume Trail #3 (FC50 Flume) to Little French Gulch down to French Gulch Rd. left up and over French Gulch Pass to some jeep road again left (again!) to Old Georgia Pass Rd. (over the dirt berm) to Michigan Creek Trail to CT and back to top of Kenosha.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by edemtbs; 07-11-2005 at 12:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    /Looks around/
    Wow, I have a LOT of riding to do.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdonk
    wow! you guys are making me drool here. now this is what i like. people willing to share their great rides. how about this one. up williams fork northeast of silverthorne. park around the mine railroad tracks. take the south fork of the williams creek. follow the pack trail. it will take you above tree-line and eventually dump you back down bobtail creek. you end up at the end of the road that comes over from jones pass. there is some housing for the mine or the water collection pipes. i can't remember exactly. pass the housing and follow the maintenance road to the north (mostly north). don't go up the hill to jones pass. eventually (8-10 miles i think) you'll get to darling creek trail. turn left and follow it back out to the williams fork valley. if you check this out on map you'll see there are other options available. almost no people up there the last time i rode there 5 or 6 years ago. 5 or 6 hours.
    Just rode a variant of this on Monday actually. We started on the East side of Jones Pass, went up over the pass, then did the South Fork loop clockwise. Methinks it must've changed a bit in the last 5-6 years. Still lots of snow on the top above timberline that made for some interesting navigational challenges. The trail (?) up there is also severely deteriorated and had some fun exposure - ie 6-12" wide loose rock steep trail with a steep slope and a looooong slide down if you miss your step. The south side of that loop right now is full of mud bog and swamp up high and there's lots of deadfall lower down on the trail. We rode back up the N side of South Fork back to the bottom of Jones Pass. The road/darling creek would be a much better route as what we rode/hiked was a route that had been flooded by a mega beaver dam and required massive amounts of route finding and hiking thru more bog. Took us about 10 hrs by the time we got back to the car at 11,700' on the east side of Jones Pass. Way too much hiking. That was epic.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Frisco to Breck loop, crossing over the Ten Peaks range. From Frisco, head south on Peaks trail. Take the cutoff to Miners Creek trail, heading west. Connect to Wheeler trail. This takes you up/down/up/down along the Ten Peaks range, overlooking Breck and Copper at various points. Dumps you down towards Copper on the ackside, but you stay on the main trail heading back up over the pass, to come out up at the top/southern end of the Breck resort stuff. Ride down the slopes however you want, and take Peaks from the Peak-8 entry point back to the car.

Long. Lots of steep and loose. Lots of hike a bike at various parts. Big sky. Meadows. Large portion of above treeline riding. Parts where you look right and see Copper, look left and see Breck. I think I was just shy of 35 miles, but don't recall exactly. Bring your shell, lots of food and water. Over half the mileage above 10k feet, I think.

Did this once last summer, and will probably hit it sometime this fall again. Any takers?
    Wow; that was just a couple days over a year ago.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=35605

Also have to hit the "traditional" Monarch route; never ridden that yet.
    Last edited by scrublover; 07-12-2005 at 11:10 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by barrows
    I have been checking this one out. From talking to LBS in Durango it sounds like this is a popular route for pros wanting to test themselves. Supposedly takes 12-13 hours for a pro which seems like a damn long time but it is a damn long bit of trail. A friend and I went scouting out there 4th of July weekend. We decided that with all the bail points to 550 we could start a Molas and then abandon to the relatively flat road (and thumb a ride if needed) when we were done exploring. Ten miles in on the CT from Molas we started pusing through snow and pushed for two solid hours getting to Rolling Pass. On the south side of Rolling Pass the snow lessened but there was still tons of debris and downed trees from avalanches. Between snow drifts and trees we were geting off the bikes about every few hundred yards or so. Ended up bailing on FS579 to Durango Mtn Resort -- 30+ miles and nine hours in the saddle. The CT is in bad shape out there. Hopefully the Forest Service will get crews out to clear the trail soon. Until then it is a tough hump from Molas to Durango on the CT.