Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012

Dogs and Singletrack?

So I just moved out to Lyons from Fruita in the fall of 2012 and have been looking for singetrack in the area that allow dogs off leash. Seems like there are a lot more rules out here, the only rules in Fruita are keep the singletrack single. I understand there are a lot more people and therefore more rules but most of the trails around the area don't even allow dogs and if they do they have to be on leashes. I've gone up to the national forests to ride some but gun shots are all over the place making for a nervous ride with the dog. Just looking if anyone has sugguestions on where to ride some good singletrack with the dog (preferably not fire roads in the NF)?

I've ridden Sour Dough with the dog from the research station but then dogs aren't allowed into the Brainard Lake area off leash. My dog was raised chasing me around the western slope and I feel bad that she doesn't have these opportunities anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPavement View Post
    So I just moved out to Lyons from Fruita in the fall of 2012 and have been looking for singetrack in the area that allow dogs off leash. Seems like there are a lot more rules out here, the only rules in Fruita are keep the singletrack single. I understand there are a lot more people and therefore more rules but most of the trails around the area don't even allow dogs and if they do they have to be on leashes. I've gone up to the national forests to ride some but gun shots are all over the place making for a nervous ride with the dog. Just looking if anyone has sugguestions on where to ride some good singletrack with the dog (preferably not fire roads in the NF)?

I've ridden Sour Dough with the dog from the research station but then dogs aren't allowed into the Brainard Lake area off leash. My dog was raised chasing me around the western slope and I feel bad that she doesn't have these opportunities anymore.
    Wait a sec... What? You feel bad that you and your dog have to obey the law?

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

That's some funny sh!t.

My advice... If they don't catch you, it never happened. However... your dog gets in my way and I am not stopping.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I'm not going to ride where it's illegal genuis, hince the question I asked. Thanks for your help, I guess you don't know too much about the area.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    A bigger question would be... Have you patented that time travel s**t? If not (I would) you could make a couple of bucks on the side.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

I think I can.

Ignore the man, ignorance is bliss

I too ride as much as possible with my dog in tow, unfortunately your gonna need to pick your battles. The further north you get in Colorado the more the masses want to micro manage your life so I will only say good luck with your quest. I live in the Colorado Springs area and really only have a couple place I can take my dog legally off leash, thank goodness one is my local watering hole so to speak.

I wish you luck my friend, I feel your anguish.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Rigid in Evergreen
    Based upon my front-range observations, if you're on foot, then the law does not apply to you and you may let your dog run off-leash.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For your local open space parks check the Boulder and Jefferson open space web sites for dog policy. In most non wilderness areas on Forest Service or BLM land, dogs don't have to be on a leash but I believe they have to be under voice command, not chase wildlife, etc.

From a dog regulation point of view there isn't any difference between singletrack and doubletrack

Also bear in mind that the more use an area gets, the more there will be issues with dogs in general and particularly dogs off leash. Some of my best friends are four legged and furry, but there are a lot of places that they are not appropriate.

mtbr member
    Here's a linky that may help

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the link, I'll have to check out Reynolds Ranch, the Twin Lakes loop looks a little too small and boring.

The reason I specified 'singletrack' is because I already know lots of double track in the national forest to go but looking for some good ol' narrow fun stuff with the dog. Of course I wouldn't want to bring my buddy around lots of riders and risk her getting ran over.

ride
    Brainard Lake Recreation Area - Maps - Maplets

Brainard Lake Rec area contains a VERY small portion of Sourdough, mostly just the road crossing. Also, it covers just the NE 1/3 of Little Raven, and the section of SSV from the western trailhead to pretty much the Waldrop intersection. Everything else is fair game up there. I'd say as long as you stay off of way upper SSV or Little Raven you'll be good to go. I've never worried about it and have never been hassled for it.

Edit - now that I look closer at that map, I see that it does not at all include ANY of Sourdough. Sweet.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

ride
    Come ride with us on Tuesdays at 530 if you can (bring your lights). We'll learn you some good mapped marked legal singletrack that you probably haven't seen which also happens to be dog friendly. The riding is different out here for sure. aJeep roads are part of it that you'll have to use to hit the good stuff.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Come ride with us on Tuesdays at 530 if you can (bring your lights). We'll learn you some good mapped marked legal singletrack that you probably haven't seen which also happens to be dog friendly. The riding is different out here for sure. aJeep roads are part of it that you'll have to use to hit the good stuff.
    Thanks for the Brainard Lake info, that's some helpful stuff. I've been planning on coming and riding with you guys on Tuesdays, but had to order a new light. I'll be there next week for sure unless my light shows up before tomorrow, then I'll be there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Maxwell Falls in Evergreen is about the only place I know of:

Maxwell Falls Mountain Bike Trail in Evergreen, Colorado || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

single track ****
    My dogs like the Gulches.

lucky enough
    Nice mule Pete.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life View Post
    A bigger question would be... Have you patented that time travel s**t? If not (I would) you could make a couple of bucks on the side.
    time to resurrect "friday afternoon delight", don't you think? A very good way to start the weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    time to resurrect "friday afternoon delight", don't you think? A very good way to start the weekend.
    Wait... You can read?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    Wait... You can read?

maybe you should try masturbation, great way for you to release some of the inner turmoil you seem to have.

mtbr member
    i remember thread about puablo reservoir that eventually turned into fight between people riding with their dogs off leash and people against it. you will have to search for it. ii i remember correctly people were saying that it is not illegal to have dogs on large at pueblo reservoir.
    with my dog off leash i have ridden on ct trail segment 2 several times, and i ride south table mountain with her a lot. stm is not legal to have dog of leash though. not sure about ct. basically i dont ride with her where i know its going to be a ton of people or trail too narrow.

I think I can.

Well said

A little thought about time and place is necessary for my a dog, think that is where your heading brankulothumbsup:

Take a look @ Mount Herman, if your dog is good off leash you'll find it a fun place to get a ride with a good trail selection. I would be happy to show you around if you need a guide.

Nice talkin to ya

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    Wait a sec... What? You feel bad that you and your dog have to obey the law?

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

That's some funny sh!t.

My advice... If they don't catch you, it never happened. However... your dog gets in my way and I am not stopping.
    Welcome to Denver!!! Get the hell out of that **** hole!!

ride
    Generally, where we are, you can drive to Boulder City for off leash dog stuff, or go anywhere in the USFS. No dogs off leash in BoCo open space. Dogs are legal off leash pretty much anywhere on USFS property unless it specifically says otherwise, like Wilderness and special protection areas like Brainard. Fortunately, there's quite a bit of riding in Roosevelt NF. The other benefit of USFS riding is that there are significantly less people that get bent out of shape about off leash dogs because, well, there's significantly less people to start with.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Stiff yet compliant
    Dogs are legal off leash pretty much anywhere on USFS property
    *Important note* Jefferson county has a county wide leash law. Even on unincorporated USFS land.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    check on the Boulder Voice and Sight Dog Tag Program, you can then ride with dogs off-leash at places like FlatIrons Vista, Doudy Draw etc. Great places to wear out your dog.

OSMP Basic Trail Information

friend of Apex

I know a place

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    ^401 Trail, Crested Butte?

I have to get my Boulder tags, although there webpage says no biking with dogs off-leash. Which doesn't make sense to me if you are allowed to hike with your dog off leash why not bike?

Respect the mustache
    I was part of that scrum about riding with dogs at Lake Pueblo. It is illegal to have a dog off leash at the lake, it just happens that most people don't care. I see dogs off leash there every time I ride-Just don't let a ranger see your dog off leash. My dogs "ride" with me out there about 30 miles a week, up until the temps start hitting 80 degrees. My 2 mutts are in incredible shape and are really relaxed at home because of all the exercise. Wish I didn't have to break the rules to let them run- it's a rush to fly through the canyons with them on my wheel. There is a definite disparity between what the rules are and what the public wants in this instance. The no dogs off leash is a state wide rule for the park system I believe, wish they could make the leash law a little more flexible park by park. I rarely have come across another trail user that is upset about my dogs being at large. The only issues I have ever had are with a couple of mtb "fast" guys that get worked up it they have to slow a bit when you meet them on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs and Singletrack?-100_0687.jpg  

Last edited by DOUBLEJ; 03-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Now that's what I'm talking about! Total flagrant disregard for the law!

Like I said, it ain't a problem til you get caught.

Respect the mustache
    [QUOTE=drunkenbikesnob;9144781]Now that's what I'm talking about! Total flagrant disregard for the law!

Like I said, it ain't a problem til you get caught.

been doing it for years, haven't been issued a ticket yet. Heck I used to do it right in front of the ranger shack, the lake trails have been getting a little more crowded lately and with that comes "rules".

mtbr member
    If you are willing to come up toward Fort Collins, I've taken my dog to Young Gulch, Hewlett Gulch and Dadd Gulch trails (up in the Poudre Canyon). Those trails are nice in part because there is a water source most of the time.

Happy Jack outside of Laramie should work well, and I'd assume the West Mag trails outside of Nederland would be nice too.

Happy hunting!

Marcia

lucky enough
    Why not just get one of these?
    http://http://www.thedogoutdoors.com...FREPfAodjCWX_w

No worries!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

ride
    hahaha, that's funny. I had a customer come in about a year ago with one of those things. She wanted me to install it on her bike. Got mad when I told her I wouldn't do it for the sake of both her and her dog.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

ride
    Update to the Brainard Rec Area. I found a recent map from the USFS. No dogs in the red area from Nov 15 thru April 30. May 1 thru Nov 14 dogs must be on a handheld leash within the red zone. This includes upper SSV to the Baptist Camp reroute and Sourdough from SSV to a little south of Brainard Lake Rd.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5304157.pdf
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Oh, So Interesting!
    Update to the Brainard Rec Area. I found a recent map from the USFS. No dogs in the red area from Nov 15 thru April 30. May 1 thru Nov 14 dogs must be on a handheld leash within the red zone. This includes upper SSV to the Baptist Camp reroute and Sourdough from SSV to a little south of Brainard Lake Rd.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5304157.pdf
    I only leash my dog while connecting Little Raven to the top of SSV, about 1/2 mile... that's where 99% of the people are up there.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    My dog seems to like it...

mtbr member
    So funny!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    So funny!
    it goes well with his mullet

Members who have read this thread: 0