Do you use Strava?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Do you use Strava, and how many people do you think use it?

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014

Do you use Strava?

Posting this here because I think Strava usage is probably largely variable on location and local culture.

I got into a discussion about how many mountain bikers use Strava, and somebody took issue with my estimate. Personally, about 9/10 of the riders I know use Strava, but I just said 50% as a worst case scenario. This is relative to single-track trails, not urban bike paths, commuters, roadies, etc.

I've included a multiple choice poll with options for how often you use Strava, to cover what is likely a group of "super-users" here on the forum, and also choices for how many riders you think use it in the broader population of riders, again among those who ride single-track trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How much spam do the Strava subscriptions generate for the individual?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I use it every time I ride as a training tool. It's actually very valuable this way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I use it, I enjoy seeing my improvement and what everyone else is doing. I also use the beacon (which just came to the watch Version as well). Most of the bikers i know use it as well.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    IMO if you train using Strava you aren't training correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Typically you record on strava and upload to Training Peaks or some other training analyzing software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You're leaving training tools on the table if you don't. But that's not to say that I consider training to be chasing KOMs. There are 2 things that you get with Strava that TP doesn't currently offer:

1) Segments - create personal segments for the places you do hill repeats, and then Strava will give you the historical record of all of your attempts. You can use it to track the confluence of factors that make you a better racer, including power, weight, and bike setup.

2) Segment Comparison - if you know your competition at some upcoming race, you can look at how you performed on some segment relative to them. That's not to say that if you beat them up the virtual hill that you should expect to win, but rather, you can see if they're relatively faster or slower climbing or descending than you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I use Strava to track my mileage for maintenance purposes. If I'm really having fun on a section, it's cool to see if it was a personal best for me, too. Other than that I don't really care about it.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I use Strava every ride, but I'm not "training" for anything, I'm just riding my bike for fun. I enjoy the data. Average watts, distance, average speed, heart rate data, etc. It's a good indicator of overall health.

If Strava had been available when I was racing, it would have been a game changer for me. It has really highlighted where my natural strengths and weaknesses are, and how to ride faster without wasting energy on things that don't matter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I use Strava, and a Garmin, and my handlebar mounted wired bicycle computer.
    I like the GPS devices to draw lines on a map of where I've been. I like the tracking tools themselves for miles/time tracking for maintenance.

And because it's fun.

As I have progressed over the years, I like to see how my times stack up to the faster friends. When they aren't faster anymore, I know I've progressed. Right now, a small group of us all ride about the same pace. Riding with them and realizing I'm with them is nice but looking at times when riding solo it's nice to gauge if the effort shows times that reflect how the effort felt.

mtbr member
    There's one question that's missing from the poll, and that is "What is Strava?". Because that's the one I'd pick.
    New to Colorado since 1993.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    I use Strava every ride, but I'm not "training" for anything, I'm just riding my bike for fun. I enjoy the data. Average watts, distance, average speed, heart rate data, etc. It's a good indicator of overall health.

If Strava had been available when I was racing, it would have been a game changer for me. It has really highlighted where my natural strengths and weaknesses are, and how to ride faster without wasting energy on things that don't matter.
    I get using it for grins or to test how your training is going, but don't understand how Strava would help me do an interval session of 2 minute intervals with a 3 minute recovery at a specific HR? A HR monitor would be about the only thing you would need. Maybe if you combined it with a power meter? IDK

friend of Apex
    I lost 10 lbs just by logging out
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Moderator Moderator
    Never.

I gave up on collecting data way back when the wires that came with my cycle computers weren't long enough for the "long travel" forks I was running, and wireless ones ate batteries like Skittles.

I just ride for fun. Long rides are long, short rides are short, when I'm going fast, I know it. I have an analog clock that tells me when I need to be home, I don't train for anything. Too many years of that have cured me of it completely.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Whenever there is a need to draw a gps cock I use strava!

I also entertain myself by loading my activities as something else. Like a gnarly as mountain track as wheel chair or kayaking.

Occasionally i use it to see how far I have gone or how many cert meters i have descended or am I going faster or slower?

Do you use Strava?-img-3f3673fd6da57d061d5bc78745673531-v.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eurochien View Post
    There's one question that's missing from the poll, and that is "What is Strava?". Because that's the one I'd pick.
    You came to this thread to ask what Strava is?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I get using it for grins or to test how your training is going, but don't understand how Strava would help me do an interval session of 2 minute intervals with a 3 minute recovery at a specific HR? A HR monitor would be about the only thing you would need. Maybe if you combined it with a power meter? IDK
    If you're using HR for intervals, you're doing it wrong IMO.

Couldn't resist.

Seriously though, Strava is for post-hoc analysis of data much more than it is for during the ride. I know there are "Live Segments" which try to inject themselves into the ride, but they're both a PITA and probably not good for structured training.

If you're savvy enough to be talking about doing interval training, then surely you know that training is about for more than just what you're doing at the moment on your bike, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Because of Strava I am now the proud owner of a KOM that I already had before yesterday.

However, I also feel that since this particular time I imported Garmin data to Strava (didn't have my phone) that some of the segment times were inaccurate.

With that said, I take it for what it's worth. Maybe I was faster yesterday than before. Maybe not. I still felt good and I still logged miles go my gear. And I don't feel bad about the KOM since I already owned it anyway. I could have been extra fast since yesterday I had to slow down, get off my bike to climb over a downed tree, then regain momentum. I was credited for 6 seconds faster than my previous time. Within the KOM segment were 2 other segments, one is with the tree that I supposedly PR'd on. The other segment was 2nd fastest time for me -I felt really good on the run, maybe the time is accurate.

Without Strava -this post would not be possible. so yeah, I like Strava and use it.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeranzin View Post
    If you're using HR for intervals, you're doing it wrong IMO.

Couldn't resist.
    Dude, I think you're going afib on me

slow
    I use it every time I ride, paddle, or hike. I am a map junkie and I like to see where I've been and where I could go. I'll use the desktop version with the aerial photo overlays to plan rides based on past ride data.
    I also use it for the social media aspect. Most of my cycling friends are on there and we use it to communicate, plan rides, check trail conditions, encourage or berate each other, etc. It is the only social media network some of my friends are on.

mtbr member
    IMO if you post grand overstatement to MTBR you aren’t posting correctly.

Stand-up philosopher
    i use endomondo during my rides, but upload to strava afterwards to see segment times and to track mileage on my components. It's nice to be able to see how many miles I'm getting out of a specific tire or chain or whatever.
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

Human Crayon
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I just ride for fun. Long rides are long, short rides are short, when I'm going fast, I know it. I don't train for anything.

Pretty much this, unless I need a map then I use trailforks.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

Candlestick Maker
    I use it on 99% of my rides..for various reasons, including comparing myself to others, specifically my slow azz friends. ;-)
    baker

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Trailforks for me.. gives me better numbers to feel good about myself.. Strava is always trying to short change me..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I use TrailForks during every ride but it is linked to Strava so I can look at stats after the ride.

Awesomist™
    I mostly use Strava to find all of your secret stash trails.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    This.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I seldom share my rides but use it for a maint sched. And to challenge myself. I frequently see people getting KOM's that I do not think are possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Also good to track whether or not a trail has been abandoned or overgrown weeds.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    So do land managers.