Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos) - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    slow
    Searle yesterday

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-11870884_10207611256828451_1440140615440617364_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-11181192_10207611257948479_6881786299762149709_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-11898874_10207611259308513_4873840749171078889_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-11892277_10207611259068507_2622407898552944884_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-11866431_10207611258228486_1810218426541425448_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-11880670_10207611257188460_9084913387973911313_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-11141344_10207611256548444_7732480690131697278_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Wildflowers are lasting forever this summer.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    HIGH on the CDNST somewhere in Clear Creek County

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-11884948_10103431699927733_995241218332117490_o.jpg

insert sarcasm here
    Thanks to the mild October so far, made a late season push (literally) up to Jones Pass over the weekend:Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-img_0691.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice views.
    Joe Mountain - Mountain bike junky

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Awesome thread! 17 pages of riding superbness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Some pictures from last summer to keep the winter time blues at bay-
    A few pics from the Colorado Trail- Molas pass to Star LakeDo you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-imgp0239.jpg
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-imgp0243.jpg
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1010524.jpg
    In the Snowies, WY
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1010338.jpg
    Tin Cup pass near Salida.
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-p1010366.jpg

This place needs an enema

Hartman Rocks, near Gunnison, has gotten good snow this winter -- so much that the locals have not only groomed the roads but also 'stomped' some of their classic singletrack down into a rideable state.

A short drive up CO 135 takes you past the Roaring Judy State Fish Hatchery (where on most winter days the avian population is largely devoid of hair) and into Crested Butte.

Jeny and I started with a ride up Kebler Pass, up Splains Gulch, out to Ohio Pass, then looped back down via Kebler.

Groomed roads are rarely worth writing home about, but given the stupid warm-for-February temps our local trails are nothing but unrideable goop soup. I'll take a road ride over no ride almost every day.

Jeny, celebrating the way she does.

We reminded ourselves of how long it's been since we were skiers by kicking and gliding a few k's in the heat of afternoon. Ow.

The next day we wended our way up the Slate River drainage, following the packed tracks of skis, split boards, sleds, snowshoes, rabbits, and foxes as far as Pittsburg.

Warm temps, firm trails, and big views to inspire.

There is something very strange and very desirable about being able to ride this high at this time of year. As if being in the high mountains is ever anything other than desirable.

We could have ridden ~85% of this easily on 3" 'plus' tires, courtesy of t-shirt temps and a lack of recent precip.

Near the mouth of OBJ. Is this the year for that one?

Hmmm...

MFin' Princess
    Gorgeous shots, gorgeous model, gorgeous tracks!

friend of Apex
    I got high off of that post, maaaan.

Bike evolution is cool sh!t sometimes
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Just awesome! I wish my local winter road rides looked like that. Thanks for the great photos.
    18" rigid Unit

Awesomist™
    I have a seriously squeaky ball joint on my Tundra. Did I fix it last night? Hell no. The High Country is calling, so I picked up the white courtesy phone and rode MoGNARch Crest to South Fooses instead.

Good decision. Followed a local motor down that mother scratcher and could barely hang on at his pace. Tinted sunglasses didn't help, we were coming down in blissful rainy twilight.

The Crest has the usual cornice suspects. Fooses has a lot of snow up in the trees still, and a fair bit of water flowing down the trail. It's probably actually a couple weeks out from being truly good to go, but the Crest route proper is better. I believe shuttle service starts the weekend after the 4th.

It's time. Get out there.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

High Plains Drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    The Crest has the usual cornice suspects. Fooses has a lot of snow up in the trees still, and a fair bit of water flowing down the trail. It's probably actually a couple weeks out from being truly good to go, but the Crest route proper is better. I believe shuttle service starts the weekend after the 4th.

It's time. Get out there.
    From the Facebooks, yesterday on the Monarch Crest Trail.

Yes, you could break bones falling off that cornice, but rest assured you would have company. People will be riding it this weekend. And shuttles will be running at least for the 4th.

This time of year there will be 3 or 4 drifts of that stature, the rest is dry like a popcorn fart.
    always phoneless

Awesomist™
    This was our crew on that same cornice from yesterday, me doing a little self-arrest with the M545s.

We encountered one other snowfield prior to the cornice, and reports are that there is another snowfield that's not nearly as bad between Fooses and Greens intersections. And the trees after the Greens intersection are pretty muddy but rideable. Otherwise yeah... the Crest is dry as a popcorn fart.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm still pretty much new to Denver (year and half-ish). If anyone has some high country rides planned for the upcoming weekends, and don't mind an extra rider, I would be more than pleased to join ! Riding a megatrail, slow paced uphill and fast downhill. I'm a technical terrain fanatic (ex-trial guy), so comfortable anywhere, but still, I don't really want to ride these by myself.
    Shoot me a PM

slow
    I only got up to 10,500' this weekend, but it was good.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-13619960_10209995149184270_3740047890881344871_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Not-quite-geezer RVer

Jones the Fourth

This summer I finally found myself in the right place at the right time to join the traditional July 4th expedition to 13,215.

Thanks local crew, it was HIGHLY awesome. Enjoy some pics:

Looking forward to getting high some more over the next few months.
    Last edited by FoldsInHalf; 04-30-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by FoldsInHalf View Post
    Thanks local crew, it was HIGHLY awesome. Enjoy some pics:

Dude.

If I hadn't been there, I would call Photochop Shenanigans on these pictures. What the WAT.

Punch it, Chewie.

Chairman of the Beard
    Cornice is looking pretty flipping traversable for this time of year. Nice work!
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

Not-quite-geezer RVer
    If I hadn't been there, I would call Photochop Shenanigans on these pictures. What the WAT.
    Well, one of them does indeed involve such shenanigans... Either that, or we were rolling into Georgetown, England?

Otherwise it really was that purty, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    Cornice is looking pretty flipping traversable for this time of year. Nice work!
    Yep it was almost a shame we didn't have to/get to use the ice axe and rope Mark carried along. "Better to have and not need", etc. Trucker gets credit for sniffing out the easy (well, easier) way up, and I happily followed.
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Perpetually single track
    good times were had by all...
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

Not-quite-geezer RVer

The Notorious Big LAF Ride (Lenawee, Argentine, FATS)

Klucks requested "something new, something big, something high" so I put this little doozy together. Twice to 12500 and once to 13200, who hoo, this ride had plenty of everything that's awesome about mountain biking. And plenty of hike-a-bike too. The evil MGE would love it, ha.

And now, a special note for any future LAF wannabees who may find this on Strava:There is actually NO trail down from where you see we left the road near Ganley Mountain. We were following somebody else's GPS track, but discovered there is simply no trail there--not even an animal path or creek bed--despite us staying right on that other GPS trace.

So don't try following our trace either, unless you're comfortable with pure alpine bushwacking for about 2 miles. Instead, I'd suggest continuing down the main road and taking the "normal" connector up to the cabin and the start of FATS.

I'll also note that you could make this into a loop by climbing about 15 miles and 3500 ft of pavement (mostly bikepath and Hwy 6) to Loveland Pass. That's where we actually started, despite me not starting Strava until A-Basin, d'oh.

Enjoy the pics!

MsFoldsInHalf dropped us off at Loveland Pass at just under 12k, and we enjoyed a few miles of free paved downhill to start. Why not!?

The climb up Arapahoe Basin is a mix of nice singletrack and steep service roads:

The view from the top of the ski area at just below 12,500 feet is downright Legandary:

Klucks takes on the always-excellent, deliciously chunky but flowing Lenawee descent:

Klucks and T5 roll on down towards the trees:

At the bottom of Lenawee, we took Peru Creek Rd up for a few miles:

Then came the real crux of the day, a 2.5 hour hike-a-bike up to Argentine Pass on a beautiful, but steep and rubble-filled singletrack:

Finally topped out around 13,200, with 14ers Grays and Torreys in view just across the valley. Remarkably, it was so warm that we were sweating instead of shivering at this kind of altitude for a change:

"You've seen one high alpine lake, you've seen 'em all" - Full Trucker (the week before, regarding a different but seemingly equivalent body of water)

Acres of wildflowers were popping up everywhere above treeline:

The widetrack descent on the east side was giddy fast, rock-surfing fun! Well, it was fun on my full suspension bike... the other two on hardtails were slightly less enthusiastic, ha!

T5 lives for this splashy stuff:

We next climbed back about 1000 vertical feet on a nice easy grade, and ended up back above 12,500 feet near Ganley Mountain:

We were planning to follow a trail I'd found somebody else's GPS track of from here down, but, unfortunately there was no trail. So, we improvised:

Eventually ended up at this historic cabin, and found some actual singletrack, hooray:

The upper part of the FATS trail was pretty slow-going due to lots of downed trees, but it had some fun moments:

The middle, flume trail-ish part of FATS was in better shape but still had quite a few downed trees and blockages.

But the lower, steep and exposed parts of FATS were almost all clear, and made for an outstanding rowdy plunge to Pavillion Point:

The sweet, steep, benchcut singletracks down to Georgetown were still fun a week later, even though we had to stop and navigate a few times this time instead of just following high-speed maniacs who knew where they were going like last week, ha:

We rejoined our shuttle driver in Georgetown almost 10 hours after being dropped off, having logged a measly-sounding 31 miles. But with almost 6000 feet of hard climbing and almost 10000 feet of descending, much of it above treeline, this was one heck of a fine day of exploring the high country on bikes!

Last edited by FoldsInHalf; 04-30-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: (added commentary to the pics)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You people need to get up there and ride Two Elks - it's gonna grow over if you don't! Go get some.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-two-elks1.jpg

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20160710_125505-x2.jpg

Paste eater
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-13613133_10157137789605710_3220437361037096235_o.jpg

Not-quite-geezer RVer

South Park / Burning Bear

Another weekend, another high country adventure full of breathtaking views, ridonkulous hike-a-biking, and rollicking downhills.

Somehow these things seem to always go together.

This particular voyage was inspired by one of the funniest yet totally accurate trail reports of all time, linked here on ridemonkey.

Thanks also to Death March Dave for his report on mtbr and for laying down the GPX I lifted from strava. We pretty much followed his loop exactly, except we took Bacon Boy's advice and arranged to shuttle the highway section.

Now, enjoy another set of pixels...

Once again, I talked MsFoldsInHalf into playing shuttle driver, and we borrowed a subtly logo'ed vehicle for the day. We started about 9:15am from Guanella Pass. Since Bierstadt was right across the street, MsFolds figured she'd go climb up a 14er while we rode bikes:

Er, did I say rode?

Wait, I think I see somebody actually pedalling for a few seconds!

A short and inadvertent detour led to a nice view of a square lake:

Above 12k for a couple of miles, big cairns stood as our only guides:

Mid July now, and it's getting harder to find snow to trudge through, but we did score a few tracks:

All in all, a pretty groovy situation:

Our colorful companions prepared themselves for the first big downhill of the day, a plunge of 2000 feet in 2 miles:

The trail was barely there, but at least it was steep. What a hoot!:

Yee to the haw!:

Some sweet singletrack reappeared around treeline for Klucks and his mighty Hayduke to enjoy:

Finally reached the infamous broken log bridge, and slow *almost* went for it:

Somewhere on the next leg up of the stupidly-steep elevation profile, I caught the group actually pedalling for a few moments:

But really, this day was supposed to be challenging, so let's get back to that, shall we?:

About six hours in, it was time for a short trail nap:

Then one more nasty push, to finish off South Park Trail 600:

Luckily, that led to an insanely-fun, pinballing blast down the rubble-strewn Red Cone road, where we gave back some 1800 feet in 3 miles. Squishy bike recommended for maximum enjoyment:

Our lagniappe was Burning Bear Trail 601, which proudly proclaims itself to be bike legal:

Of course "Bicycles Permitted" does not necessarily mean bike friendly, so we enjoyed another hour or so of hard grunting and pushing to the top:

But man, what a sweet downhill payoff to the finish line! (think Mountain Lion without the creek crossings):

We arrived at the lower TH about 4:30pm, having covered a measly 23 miles, now totally understanding the classic ridemonkey report. Still, this one came in 2 hours shorter than last weekend's ride. Gotta love shuttles, eh?
    Last edited by FoldsInHalf; 04-30-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FoldsInHalf again.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Another weekend, another high country adventure full of breathtaking views, ridonkulous hike-a-biking, and rollicking downhills.

Somehow these things seem to always go together.

This particular voyage was inspired by one of the funniest yet totally accurate trail reports of all time, linked here on ridemonkey.

Thanks also to Death March Dave for his report on mtbr and for laying down the GPX I lifted from strava. We pretty much followed his loop exactly, except we took Bacon Boy's advise and arranged to shuttle the highway section.

<snip>

Gotta love shuttles, eh?
    You guys are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So jealous....

Awesomist™
    But really, this day was supposed to be challenging, so let's get back to that, shall we?:
    Totally rideable, bro.

Punch it, Chewie.

friend of Apex
    Totally rideable, bro.
    Oh, THAT ride...

https://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-fro...-732794-2.html

it was a long day, even longer for some of us...

mtbr member
    I totally got high and it was all totally ride-a-bro. At least on the way down. Miner's Creek.

Obligatory flower shot

Popping out of the woods, the trail went up to that saddle

Lake Dillon. Neato

At this point my legs were toast

That little black speck is the top of the Kensho chair, peak 6.

Good times!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Oh, THAT ride...

https://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-fro...-732794-2.html

it was a long day, even longer for some of us...

It it just me, or does the gent sitting on the log have his pants down?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    LOL

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Making the easy look difficult since 1980.

not actually bad :)
    No.
    (just cuz of the 3.25 dudes in teh pic, there are no gents.)
    Old Codger

Awesomist™
    Three years, three weeks, and a day or so after the ride on Searle Pass that inspired this very thread I found myself back again. Our good friend hirschmj was in town visiting from Tulsa, so we rounded up a couple more friends including slow and set out to get some high country riding in. The forecast called for cool temps and overcast, cloudy skies but no rain until late in the afternoon, which would be perfect weather for our excursion. I didn't get a whole lot of pictures, but snapped a couple worthy shots along the way.

Here we find slow in his natural habitat, making his way along the CT just shy of Guller Creek.

The hearty crew on break at Searle Pass. We did not venture over to Kokomo Pass on this outing, as this was as much a social gathering as a mountain bike ride we found ourselves pressed to get back to other obligations in Denver.

That's a big ass cairn!

High alpine wildflowers doing their thing, exploding in a breathtaking multi-colored blanket of awesome.
    Last edited by Full Trucker; 03-23-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Beautiful pics. Luvin it.

Terry

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Wife and I spent all day getting high above 12000ft from Copper to Searle to Kokomo and back. Perfect conditions for it.

Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Chronic 1st-timer
    7/10; only if desperate for some strange.
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-07.28a-elmo_tunnel-pass-100.jpg

9.8/10; would bang again & again!
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-07.29-canyon_crik-52.jpg

My regular booty call is always a gooood time.
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-07.29-greens_crik-56.jpg

What's that burning sensation I'm feeling?
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I miss CO.

The OP and some friends getting high on the Crest this past weekend.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    The OP and some friends getting high on the Crest this past weekend.

You know the thing about that view? You don't get it anywhere else in the entire world except right there.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That view sucks.

slow
    Got high today

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-rollins.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-rollins2.jpg

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

friend of Apex

high eh?

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20160824_143210.jpg

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160824_143210.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	1090118
    Come on, man... that only LOOKS high, right?

Got high a few times today. (Click for my thoughts)

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Come on, man... that only LOOKS high, right?
    Subjective inputs say yes.
    Objectively, I dunno. The dam map measures in 'm'. No idea.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-bc6.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

High Above Montezuma

Pushing 13k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20160907_113715-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah Roo!
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    A couple of shots from the last month. Even got the boy out for a little highcountry adventure.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-img_2450.jpgDo you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-img_2501.jpg

friend of Apex
    So Hi Ri Now...

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-img_20180619_202640_893.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    YEAAAAH

My favorite thread!

I haven't been "high" per-se this year yet, but I have a few things planned. Will report back.

Awesomist™
    Went down to Salida with a buddy of mine visiting from Georgia, took him on a couple good high country rides. It's beautiful out there... get after it.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Took a few days off work and bummed around Breck.

I typically hate that area during ski season. But midweek during summer, it was pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Went down to Salida with a buddy of mine visiting from Georgia, took him on a couple good high country rides. It's beautiful out there... get after it.

I recognize that grin! It's sported by each and every rider immediately after finishing Starvation.

Light freak
    Nate Hills riding Jones Pass

https://youtu.be/49Y9biYdkkE

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Nate Hills riding Jones Pass

https://youtu.be/49Y9biYdkkE

Ha! I just popped over here to post this as well. Such a cool ride... there's probably pictures of it in this very thread.

Punch it, Chewie.

Higher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-8a3a7171.jpg  

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-8a3a6768.jpg  

mtbr member
    New to Colorado since 1993.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Higher.
    Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by eurochien View Post
    Where is that?

Eastern Alaska, in the Wrangells.

Shot from same trip, below. Rider at right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-8a3a7362.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Middle right. Green dot with a white helmet.

mtbr member
    Eastern Alaska, in the Wrangells.

Shot from same trip, below. Rider at right.
    Wow. This is "Bike" magazine material. Awesome picture.

Jones Pass>CDT>Herman Gulch today was pretty spiffy up at 13,200ft for the high point.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20180704_105243_resized.jpg

Awesomist™
    Jones Pass>CDT>Herman Gulch today was pretty spiffy up at 13,200ft for the high point.

Name:	20180704_105243_resized.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	1206701
    From the same ride, yesterday. Great crew, glad you and the missus could join, señor. These aren't my photos (I'm in them) but ya'll should enjoy, regardless...

Thirteen-two. Dropping.

My saddle is low, but I'm so high.

Punch it, Chewie.

Not-quite-geezer RVer

Jones Pass 2018

My third 4th in a row spent on the divide with this ever-expanding oxygen-deprived crew, and it was amazing as always. Particularly good cornice this year too. The riding and company are great, but the picture taking opportunities are unsurpassed. Enjoy more highness:

slow
    I tried to get high with Bad Andy today, but the lightning arrived the same time we hit tree line. We only got kind of high.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0705181109.jpg

SS in CO
    ugh...I gotta get out up there this summer! this all looks like so much fun!

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I tried to get high with Bad Andy today, but the lightning arrived the same time we hit tree line. We only got kind of high.

Name:	0705181109.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	1206882
    Hi Mike! Greg from Houston. We're planning on Crested Butte in Sept. If that doesn't work out, we'll be going back to the Fort to stay with Boon. Hope you can join us for some riding in either place!

With perfect riding conditions today, wife and I went out for 26 miles, 4000ft vert and made sure we got nice and high topping out at 12,500.
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20180811_111150_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With perfect riding conditions today, wife and I went out for 26 miles, 4000ft vert and made sure we got nice and high topping out at 12,500.
    Where are we?

Thanks,
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber View Post
    Where are we?

Thanks,
    Terry
    Photo is the Colorado Trail between Breck and Copper, Miners Creek section, descending towards Wheeler. We rode it as a loop starting in Frisco using the bike path to link us to/from the trail.

SS in CO
    I forgot to post our pics! the wife and I got a rare 2 days away from the kids, so we packed the camper and headed south. stopped in Salida and rode Monarch to Fooses. on our way, we ran into a girl riding who's father was picking her up at the bottom of Fooses and said he'd shuttle us. so we rode Fooses for the first time. what a blast!

Monarch was amazing and beautiful, like it always is. perfect weather, not too many people (it was Thursday morning), and great riding.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-38637417_10216362173944321_3443376444862889984_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-38600549_10216362175584362_584980047568306176_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-38696852_10216362174584337_8162012436065419264_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-38614724_10216362207105150_3631719638489890816_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-38691056_10216362174904345_8988170114373255168_n.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-38750928_10216362175104350_6217845311428100096_n.jpg

J.
    Last edited by Jayson44; 08-13-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

I should be out riding
    Photo is the Colorado Trail between Breck and Copper, Miners Creek section, descending towards Wheeler. We rode it as a loop starting in Frisco using the bike path to link us to/from the trail.
    Answering the question from BE stage 5 participants last thurs 'do people even ride that trail?'.

Having done it both directions, your CCW is the correct choice IMO.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

SS in CO
    now with images!

J.

Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Answering the question from BE stage 5 participants last thurs 'do people even ride that trail?'.

Having done it both directions, your CCW is the correct choice IMO.
    We were going clockwise, I can understand the longer descent on dirt going west to east might make for a better ride if shuttling. But I was happy not to be climbing all the way up the bike path from Frisco to Copper. I have ridden it from Copper to Vail pass before though for a CCW dirty copper triangle...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    I little different view of Monarch Crest. I like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I little different view of Monarch Crest. I like it.
    It was some fine weather
    While I saw quite a few Folks turn back in the alpine stretch, the lack of preparation by a number of riders was a bit shocking. A lot of folks had skimpy, single play roadie rain jackets and were soaked, quite cold and asking to borrow insulation from other riders. One couple had no rain gear, no insulation and no tools. Just chamois and jerseys. The shuttle service is great and I was happy to use it, but, ****.... I’d have to believe there are a lot of people getting over their heads because of it.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    It was some fine weather
    While I saw quite a few Folks turn back in the alpine stretch, the lack of preparation by a number of riders was a bit shocking. A lot of folks had skimpy, single play roadie rain jackets and were soaked, quite cold and asking to borrow insulation from other riders. One couple had no rain gear, no insulation and no tools. Just chamois and jerseys. The shuttle service is great and I was happy to use it, but, ****.... I’d have to believe there are a lot of people getting over their heads because of it.
    It seems that there have been lots of changes that have contributed to many unprepared folks being where they shouldn't be.

We encountered some challenging adverse conditions of a different type the last time I rode the Crest. Looks like our photos are from the same spot.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-crest1.jpg

Awesomist™

Gold Coin Highway

Oh man, I've been ignoring this thread all summer... but don't you worry I'm still getting HIGH, man. I have a few other rides to upload from earlier, but figured I'd chuck this high-country classic in the mix to add a little fall color to the thread. A little Kenosha Pass out-n-back with my favorite lady, followed by posting up on the side of 285 for a post-ride beverage. Enjoy.

**I debated on posting this here or in the 2018 Fall Colors and settled on here because I'm selfish. But also I'll x-post a link.
    Last edited by Full Trucker; 06-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Punch it, Chewie.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Nice!

Heading out there tomorrow.

Awesomist™

#GetHigh4Graham

Revisited Wheeler Trail to Miner's Creek in Breck a few weeks back, as part of a big ol' group ride put together by Will who started the Go4Graham Foundation, a non-profit working to raise awareness, fight stigmas, and break the silence surrounding mental health and depression. Good group of folks, and a bunch of strong riders on the day. What this ride lacks in mileage it more than makes up for in HAB, views, and just plain difficulty, really. At least, I think so. YMMV.

About half the crew, somewhere on Peak 9 road getting ready to climb.

Wheeler Trail makes it's way towards Wheeler Pass in the high alpine.

Dramatic backlighting is dramatic.

Less drama.

Give'r!

Has the pushing started yet? For some folks off the front... yes.

There. Go there.

Dropping in the west side of Wheeler Pass towards Copper Mountain. Destination: Miner's Creek Trail.

Back on the east side of the 10 Mile Range, after hitting the Miner's Crest. Lots of sketchy switchbacks preceded this moderately "tame" section.

Making our way down Miner's Creek, we passed through a burn area that wasn't there last time I rode this. Surreal.

Miner's Creek Trail is filled with rocks on rocks on rocks. Add a bunch of speed to that, and you get some pure, unadulterated, smashing fun. Well, fun if you're into that kind of thing... which I am. Afterwards we connected to the Peaks trail and rode back into Breck... a mighty fine ride indeed.
    Last edited by Full Trucker; 06-13-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Punch it, Chewie.

Awesomist™
    Monday: wherein Full Trucker posts tantalizing visual media rife with the beautification derived of Mom Nature's finest hues, accentuated by altitude of magnanimous proportions. Topping out at 11,300' of elevated bliss, I submit for your measured consideration Crested Butte's Trail 401 in peak leaf peeper glory, an infinitely attractive redhead, and one ugly dude who can barely corner.

Last edited by Full Trucker; 09-24-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Meh

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    meh
    Your face is meh.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Your face is meh.
    It's a fair cop.

mtbr member
    Alpine Tunnel loop above St Elmo was exceptional this weekend. Singletrack at 11,000ft is breathtaking!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Alpine Tunnel loop above St Elmo was exceptional this weekend. Singletrack at 11,000ft is breathtaking!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nice! How was the main singletrack descent down to the jeep road? I did this the opposite direction years ago, and always wished to make a loop of it in the proper direction. I'm contemplating this weekend. I'm guessing the jeep road climb from St. Elmo had lots of aspens?

Not asking for much, just primo fall color and magnificent descending with a healthy splash of skinny singletrack at high altitude.

mtbr member
    The decent down from treeline was super smooth and nice. Some hike in the above treeline sections but well worth the effort.

friend of Apex

So high

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-img_20180927_150558_242.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-img_20180925_133010_818.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20180927_105551.jpg

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    H
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Literally!

Good stuff if you can catch your breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    55 miles. 7500 feet awsome views

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Awesomist™

Name:	IMG_20180927_150558_242.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	1219401

Name:	IMG_20180925_133010_818.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	1219402

Name:	20180927_105551.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	1219381
    Your cheating.

Punch it, Chewie.

Candlestick Maker
    Elk Park - Moraine - Jones - Buckhorn shuttle (gasp). Two weeks ago. ~6800ft of descent and 1200ft of climbing (others extended the trip and did more of both). Started around 11'900 and finished at about 6400'

group photo 2 by Brad Baker, on Flickr

P9230313 by Brad Baker, on Flickr

P9230320 by Brad Baker, on Flickr

P9230321 by Brad Baker, on Flickr

P9230324 by Brad Baker, on Flickr

20180923_135047 by Brad Baker, on Flickr
    baker

friend of Apex
    Your cheating.
    It's not mine, homie.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-hab.jpg

slack jawed
    Took a ride up Old Fall River Road. Didn't take many pictures because it was a slog on the way up and I didn't want to loose my momentum by stopping. And the ride down was too fun to stop for photos. Amazing scenery though I didn't see any animals except for a few birds.

I did snap this at the top:

I've got nothing witty to say....

Light freak
    May be awhile this year

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-snowpack.jpg

Candlestick Maker
    Yeah, but for now...I'll suffer the terrible conditions

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-keystonefat.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-laurentreewell.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-laurentreepow.jpg
    baker

slow
    I'm dealing with it.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-fb_img_1550268135015.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-img_20190111_182954_197.jpg

I'm dealing with it.

Right?!

Awesomist™
    Right?!
    Also still dealing with it...

But really getting stoked about summer mountain biking season... though I have to wonder when the high country goods are gonna be in? I've seen posts and photos that make me think it'll be August before some of the really high country stuff will be open!

Punch it, Chewie.

slow
    But really getting stoked about summer mountain biking season... though I have to wonder when the high country goods are gonna be in? I've seen posts and photos that make me think it'll be August before some of the really high country stuff will be open!

I saw this on the Crested Butte Mountain Bike Association's FB page earlier. Photos were shot on June 9, 2018 and June 9, 2019

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-62546566_10156117776171861_838506645586706432_n.png

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Got a lift to Copper from my buddy's house on Tennessee Pass. Rode CT over Searle/Kokomo/TN. Man, I gotta get high more often.Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20190817_101451.jpgDo you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20190817_103135.jpgDo you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20190817_110419.jpgDo you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20190817_111407.jpg

hikebike-bagpeak
    Nice! How recent are these pics? Hoped the cornice would be melted off by now.

Here's Wheeler Trail above Breck back in early August
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-cimg2214.jpg  

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    That was a couple weeks ago. No snow on the trail at all - still tons of flowers.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by tbondu View Post
    man, i gotta get high more often.
    qft.

Punch it, Chewie.

slow
    I got high a bunch in August. Most were by bike, but a few times were on foot.

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0817191154.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0817190948.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0830191053a.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0807191034.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0813192109.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0805191521a_hdr.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0806191118a.jpg

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-0830191051c.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    #4 and #7 my favorites. Like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Might be developing an addiction.Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20190831_114154-2-.jpgDo you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20190831_101837.jpgDo you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-20190831_095606.jpg

Awesomist™
    Nothing to see here... just a triple dorp off the Crest... typical gettin' high behavior... move along... please disperse...

A couple more pics and (eventually) some words will be here.

Punch it, Chewie.

Meh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-8a3a4373.jpg  

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-8a3a4174.jpg  

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-8a3a3727.jpg  

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-8a3a2934.jpg  

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-8a3a2909.jpg  

Awesomist™
    Meh.
    Agreed. Meh.

EDIT: Man, I need to get back down there. Finally put it together what ya'll have been riding. That little corner of the state has so many goods.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dayum - them's some FANCY new signs up there on the Crest.

friend of Apex
    Until next year, tundra line

Chronic 1st-timer
    Until next year, tundra line
    Never knew Apex was so scenic.
    Trailwrecker at large

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Got sorta high yesterday...

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)-lineshack2.jpg

bacon! bacon! bacon!

I think I know where you rode...

I think I know where you rode...

Just SW of Ankeny, Iowa.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Just SW of Ankeny, Iowa.
    I stand corrected. I thought for SURE that it was Limon.

I stand corrected. I thought for SURE that it was Limon.

Easy mistake to make.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123