denver spoke wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

denver spoke wheels

do you guys know if denver spoke has any good deals, since they are going out of business

ride
    The Spoke is going OOB? Kind of a bummer in a some ways. That place is/was an institution.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

banned
    Oct 2004
    Wooo... love to find a King HD rear hub to build a X-mas gift rr wheel!

mtbr member
    That really sucks. I bought my first good bike EVER from that store, around 1977! I think it was right on the corner of Evans & University back then.

Why can't a store like that make it, especially being right by DU?
    I wonder how any bike shop makes it these days, but if any of them can, then the Spoke should be one of the survivers.

mtbr member
    better hurry...I hear doors are closing on friday.

imaorobbie
    It is sad to see a shop with so much history close. However, it does not surprise me. The last time I was in there the employees were unhelpful and openly complained about everything. The whining was so bad I took my pocket full of cash down the street to a shop where they were happy to take my money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie
    It is sad to see a shop with so much history close. However, it does not surprise me. The last time I was in there the employees were unhelpful and openly complained about everything. The whining was so bad I took my pocket full of cash down the street to a shop where they were happy to take my money.
    Hmm, your story doesn't surprise me. It must be a management issue. the shop has everything going for it: location, reputation, years of building a clientel, history, etc.
    It seems like someone could take it over and make it work (but it ain't gonna be me!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Pickins were slim on Sunday but still had a bit of bling laying around...I'm waiting on the tools to go for sale (which they weren't then)
    Everybody needs to believe in something...
    I believe I'll have another B E E R !!!!!

FEAR

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Rumor has it they are negotiating with potential new owners.
    Closure should be temporary.

mtbr member
    I was also looking for tools, but they weren't selling them yet as they told me they ARE re-opening under new ownership/ name, but same location. The guy couldn't seem to give me more information than that (this was a week ago).

Tribe Member
    I do know that the tools are all going on sale starting Saturday, 17th. All tools, workbenches, work stands, craftsman drawers, all small parts, vices, truing stands. At this point, everything in the store is for sale. They do have a bunch of Santa Cruz frames (with no shocks) that they were blowing out.

They open at 10am tomorrow morning.

I know both the manager and the mechanic there. They are going to be reopening, with new owners (Not the Kraemers who currently own it and have filed for bankruptcy) sometime after the first of the year. It will once again be more of a PRO road shop, cyclocross and mountainbikes.

It is unfair to blame the guys there for the sins of the people that used to be there. They are left to clean up the messes that they had nothing to do with. Mis-management of the place has been going on for more than 5 years and both of the guys there now have been there less than 2 years.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If they are reopening, which I have heard.....why are they selling the tools, work stands, ect.?
    Don't the new owners need this things to run a bicycle shop?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you file for bankruptcy in most cases you have to liquidate all assets and pay or at least attempt to pay off all your debt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If that is the case, why don't the new owners buy the tools, work stands, ect?

mtbr member
    A lot of the tools are owned by the mechanics and they took them with them. I picked up some unbelievable deals--new MTB 26er tires, Nevegal 26ers, Igniter 29ers (all $10/ea), Garmin 205 Edge $70) multiple camel backs, replacement hydraulic hoses, brake pads... got most my x-mas shopping done! Yes, new owners reopening but not as Denver Spoke. Nice to know one is popping back up...LBS's rock.

mtbr member
    The employees that left last summer were the soul of the spoke. What was left is an empty shell. RIP Denver Spoke.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Too bad really, not that I liked the staff much but it was the closest bike shop to my house, I could see it from my front door. Unfortunately it leaves yet another empty storefront in a steadily declining neighborhood. Maybe with all their investors DU will just buy up the block and make it as ugly as the rest of the campus.

Its too bad to see Denver Spoke go, atleast we still have Campus Cycles down the street, just wish Salvagetti was closer...

-FreuderLocks
    2015 Canfield Yell Scream
    2015 Tarmac Pro Disc Race

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

New Shop in town

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give my condolences to the Denver Spoke and let everyone know that there will be a new shop starting very close to that location.

3 dudes, 60 years experience in the Denver cycling industry, employee owned (you know we have incentive to work hard for YOU)

We will be able to service anything... fork, shock, hydraulic brake or suspension and we have the most Campagnolo experience in town.

We are very excited to have one of our dreams materialize! Thanks to all for your past support and we will be sure to be in touch!

Opening 1st week of March:

http://ridenicebike.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nice-Bike/192074317475519

http://twitter.com/Ridenicebike

Nice Bike
    2435 S Broadway

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Congratulations! Can't wait to see the nice shop.
    What bike lines will you be carrying?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    DH Dominator:

Sorry it took me a few days to reply...I didn't want to announce any brands before I knew we had them locked down. We will be selling Intense, Eddy Merckx, Time, Wilier and Masi.

We are looking into one or two more mtb brands (we already tried to get Giant and Santa Cruz but couldn't due to other shop locations that carry those brands)....what does everyone around here have interest in? Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Support the local guys......Yeti would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Mosaic and Knolly.
    -FreuderLocks
    2015 Canfield Yell Scream
    2015 Tarmac Pro Disc Race

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Van Dessel. There is a bike company with some magnetism. New stuff coming in the Full Suspension 29er arena shortly. Plus, the style points of those bikes just scream to life.

And yes, I am a big fan.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! City Velo is Now Open in Old Denver Spoke location...

Hello Everyone,

We just wanted to introduce ourselves. We just opened up in the DU area in Denver, CO. We're excited to start sharing our knowledge(over 60yrs between the 2 of us), and getting people setup and on the road, and trail.

We're the proud dealer of some amazing lines...Colnago, Cyfac(the only dealer in the state!), Pinarello and Eddy Merckx. We're deciding on our Mountain Bike lines as we speak.

Service Center is fully open and operational, and we're getting bikes in daily. Full professional fit system coming with "Real Time" Bio Feedback such as cadence/power out put.

Check us out at:

www.city-velo.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/City-Velo/166781573365945
    http://twitter.com/#!/City_Velo

Mention that you saw this posting, and get our Major Tune-up for the Standard price...$100 down to $70. You can see our service menu on the website.

Come in and say HI! We promise to not disappoint!

Ciao,

City Velo Staff

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Awesome City Velo! Good luck with your new venture.

DH Dominator:

Yeti makes a pretty popular machine...although I think we are to close to Singletack Factory and would infringe on their 'dealer territory'.

Freuderlocks:

Mosaic and Knolly look pretty sweet. Love the homegrown feel of Mosaic and Knolly looks to have a pretty cool suspension design, almost FSR meets rocker link. I will have to head down to Salvagetti to check them out.

Generalcuz: Thanks for the suggestion. Van Dessel are stylin' and their dealer requirements are pretty low key. I think we might bring in a few frames. Definitely cool and nitchy.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

...oh and we just got in our HUGE ultrasonic tank. Starting to put it through the ringer and so far we're very impressed! Easy to maintain, efficient and totally Green Technology.

Members who have read this thread: 0