Cycling training programs for kids?- Mtbr.com
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

Cycling training programs for kids?

Okay this is a bit off topic but I am looking for a cycle training class/program for kids to learn the rules for cycling on the road.

My daughter is 9 and is biking more and more on road, but you know how it is, she never seems to learn as quick from dad as she would in a class (selective ignoring I think!)

I've been looking for something around Louisville/Boulder but haven't found anything yet. Being an immigrant I never went though the US school system so I'm not sure if this is something the Schools will offer. I would like to get her in a training class of some kind so that I am more confident that she is aware of the perils and rules of riding on the road.

Is there anything like that around here?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 04-30-2012 at 02:00 PM.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    Okay this is a bit off topic but I am looking for a cycle training class/program for kids to learn the rules for cycling on the road.

My daughter is 9 and is biking more and more on road, but you know how it is, she never seems to learn as quick from dad as she would in a class (selective ignoring I think!)

I've been looking for something around Louisville/Boulder but haven't found anything yet. Being an immigrant I never went though the US school system so I'm not sure if this is something the Schools with offer. I would like to get her in a training class of some kind so that I am more confident that she is aware of the perils and rules of riding on the road.

Is there anything like that around here?
    Try this: Singletrack Mountain Bike Adventures
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Stand back
    That's a good idea for a kids' program. I'm looking into starting a kids summer rec program in Golden, and that would be a great thing to include.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    I've seen that program but that is for off-road.

I'm looking for programs teaching on-road skills. I remember as a kid (some 30+ years ago) that it was a required training where I used to live as you went through school. It was like a driving test but for bicycles and you had to know the rules of the road. Don't know what they do around here.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    I've seen that program but that is for off-road.

I'm looking for programs teaching on-road skills. I remember as a kid (some 30+ years ago) that it was a required training where I used to live as you went through school. It was like a driving test but for bicycles and you had to know the rules of the road. Don't know what they do around here.
    It's all I've heard of, but might be worth contacting them to see if they can refer you somewhere - they may have heard the same question before.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

slow
    You might try contacting Rick Price with the Fort Collins Bike CO-OP. He is spearheading a youth safe cycling program here in Fort Collins to get Fort Collins to a League of American Bicyclists platinum level cycling community.

Fort Collins Bike Co-op Rick Price

Members who have read this thread: 0