Current Conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Current Conditions

This is my first year mountain biking and I have no clue how to judge riding conditions.

Any trip reports since the snow last week for the Front Range?

Looking to ride this week somewhere if possible.

Lair Of The Bear, Table Mountain and Heil Ranch / Hall Ranch are where I normally go.

TIA!

slack jawed
    For Heil/Hall, if the trails are open plan on riding early before the sun turns them to soup. The BCOS web pages are kept up-to-date:
    https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-s...rail-closures/
    https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-s...ks-and-trails/

Search BoCo_Trails on Twitter for conditions and closures:
    https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...%23boco_trails
    I've got nothing witty to say....

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Lots of Jeffco stuff closed and those that are open are probably muddy too:
    https://www.jeffco.us/1531/Alerts-Closures

If you BOOKFACE there's a group which is good for up to date conditions, I get my wife to look as I don't have a FB account.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/303TrailConditions/
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks for the links and info guys, super helpful! Cheers.

slow
    If you are looking farther north in the Ft Colins / Loveland area, we have this tool:
    www.NoCoTrailReport.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    If you are looking farther north in the Ft Colins / Loveland area, we have this tool:
    www.NoCoTrailReport.com
    What do the colors on the map mean? There's red, dark red, yellow and green. I would guess green is open and red is closed?
    Do the math.

Awesomist™
    A note about the 303 Trail Monitor group on Bookface... it's crammed full of garbage as well as some amount of useful information e.g. it seems like there are about 5 "does anyone know the conditions of X?" posts for every post that actually has a conditions report. I had to turn notifications off from that group, but it is helpful if you know where you're thinking about riding. Maybe this is obvious, but I have found that using the "Search This Group" field that lives in the left-hand bar to look for not only for full names of the park I am thinking about riding, but also any known abbreviations, is the only way that it's useful. YMMV.

NTM for North Table Mountain
    GM for Green Mountain
    LOTB or LOB for Lair of the Bear
    BC or Buff Creek for Buffalo Creek
    etc.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    My rule, when I have no updates on trail conditions from various online sources, is to simply look at the foothills (I live in Highlands Ranch). If I still see snow patches in the foothills, I don't go.
    New to Colorado since 1993.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I personally think this thread needs a title change and made a sticky. Seems like the thread most have gone to for reported trail conditions throughout the year.

This one >> https://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-fro...e-1028293.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The gate at Deer Creek Canyon Park parking lot was closed yesterday, don't know about today.
    Don't load onto your day your year's burden

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    What do the colors on the map mean? There's red, dark red, yellow and green. I would guess green is open and red is closed?
    Red and dark red are interchangeable for closed. Not sure why the color is not consistent.

Green is open.

Yellow is conditionally open and you can click on the trail segment to get more information. Sometimes it means open, but with muddy spots and you should be sure to ride through the muddy spots instead of around. Sometimes it means this trail is open to certain users and closed to others.

mtbr member
    ^^^ thanks.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    www.NoCoTrailReport.com
    But unfortunately, it's still useless because there's no timestamp on the status updates.

I'm with DirtJunkie, I think we need a regularly-updated sticky on the forum, because I can't stand looking at 303 Trail Monitor or Front Range Mountain Biking on Facebook. Otherwise, Trailforks is updated pretty regularly if you use that app/website.

Oh, and to provide an observation, I rode Dakota Ridge yesterday and it was almost totally dry other than the climb out of the north parking lot by I-70.

mtbr member
    North Table Mountain (NTM) was mostly excellent today. However, currently getting moisture in the area.

Moosehead
    Thurs 11/7, Apex closed, Chimney Gulch good from 6th to first bridge, then hard ice bridge to bridge which was difficult to hike a bike, rideable top bridge to Windy Saddle. Didn’t bother with top section in the trees.

Motocrosser gone mtb
    near Colorado Springs, SLOPPY...
    Winter Park Paper Boy click below
    https://youtu.be/AdClskxRY1I

My cup runneth over
    Tried and bailed on Green Mountain Thursday night. Lots of dry patches interspersed with several wet and muddy sections.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    It's Lair O' The Bear not Lair Of The Bear.

https://www.jeffco.us/1254/Lair-o-the-Bear-Park

...sayin.

mtbr member
    Hall Ranch was good yesterday- 90% dry and hero dirt, 5-10% wet/muddy. Nelson Loop is closed, it's amazing how much more snow there was up that way vs the bottom 3/4 of the ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GetOutsideNow View Post
    It's Lair O' The Bear not Lair Of The Bear.

https://www.jeffco.us/1254/Lair-o-the-Bear-Park

...sayin.
    Lot B

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anybody ride Buff Creek? Snow accumulation up that way can be very different than front range?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    LotB

mtbr member
    NTM from Easley side lithic to cottonwood up top, back to north table Mtn loop is good to go. North side may still be closed.
    Rim rock was still a lil soft. Maybe good by tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    NTM from Easley side lithic to cottonwood up top, back to north table Mtn loop is good to go. North side may still be closed.
    Rim rock was still a lil soft. Maybe good by tomorrow.

You’re timing is spot on.
    Was just contemplating hitting NTM in the morning. Thanks for the info.

always licking the glass
    Marshall Mesa was mainly nice today except for a couple of muddy spots.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Anybody ride Buff Creek? Snow accumulation up that way can be very different than front range?
    Still a mess. Lots of mud and death ice.

Candlestick Maker
    Summit Cove / Keystone needs more snow (for skiing and fat biking)

Soda Ridge and Rossiter, totally mixed conditions (mud, slush, snow, hero dirt)
    Keystone Aqueduct - schwing...

Current Conditions-aqueduct.jpg
    baker

Moosehead

Current Conditions

Apex reopened 11/14.

Topside of Pick N Sledge was primary burn area. Got lucky that it did not take the forested side to the north and up to the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just a heads up - Heil will be fully closed on Sunday for a controlled burn, they're doing it on a Sunday so they have nice roasted turkeys for dinner...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    Apex reopened 11/14.

Topside of Pick N Sledge was primary burn area. Got lucky that it did not take the forested side to the north and up to the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Nice pics

Candlestick Maker
    Monument Preserve is mostly good, with a few sections of sketchy ice...

Current Conditions-drop.jpg

Current Conditions-monumentrock.jpg
    baker

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Relatively new to the area. Any recommendations for dry trails this weekend within 1.5 hours of Golden?

slow
    Probably not going to find much this weekend given the snow the past couple of weeks. Your choices are most likely limited to fatbiking near Nederland or driving 3 hours one way to Pueblo Reservoir.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Bummer, but thats what I kind of figured. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hiked apex on Sunday. The trails were completely covered with packed snow. The one exception was sluicebox, which looked primed for riding with a couple patches of snow here and there. Only problem is getting to the trail in the first place. Has anyone been up NTM? Hoping to get some rides in this week.

mtbr member
    To keep this thread relevant... Heil was in pretty good shape today. The dirt road approach was the worst part, with frozen mud and a couple icy spots. Once I hit the Wapiti singletrack, it was 98% dry with only a couple slick spots. I didn't ride the loops though, they seemed to have more snow up there.

But man I forgot how much Heil Ranch sucks. Unless you like flat, rocky trails with no flow I guess.

mtbr member
    Anyone know a status update on Hall? I can't even anywhere that shows an updated open/closed status....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Anyone know a status update on Hall? I can't even anywhere that shows an updated open/closed status....
    County website says it's closed entirely:
    https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-s...ls/hall-ranch/

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Going to be a nice weekend. Was just searching around trailforks to see what people were riding and looks like things are picking up. Someone has been riding floyd hill. Was wondering if anyone could comment on the conditions there? Based on the one photo that was posted with the ride log it's looking like it may be good to go?

Chronic 1st-timer
    Rode Floyd Hill the past 2 weekends (12/19 & 12/12).
    Took the quick way up as I knew the longer route would be too snowy; some snow on climb, all but maybe 1 turn is easily rideable. The Sluice is nearly perfect w/2-3 small snowy/icy spots.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Hall Ranch update from yesterday afternoon: lower Bitterbrush (the approach to the main rock garden) has a couple of muddy spots, but nothing too bad. The main part of the rock garden up to the bench is 98% dry, with one death ice section that's about 15 feet long.

We didn't go past the bench, but a couple guys we talked to in the lot did and said it's pretty sloppy and will only get worse with the warm weather this weekend. It's a good time to practice your tech climbing on the first 2.5 miles!

slow
    Fort Collins update:
    We did a lap in Horsetooth and Lory yesterday morning at dawn.

Lory is not really worth messing with by bike right now. Trails were pretty tracked up by hikers when the snow was deep and there has been little to no bike traffic. Therefore, the trails are mostly deeply potholed frozen snow.

All the stuff we rode in Horsetooth was rideable on my 29x2.4 except the climb up Herrington. The Wathen and Sawmill descents were sketchy and icy, but there were a few fatbike tracks that made it all rideable.

Wathen Trail - Horsetooth
    Current Conditions-1220190738.jpg

West Valley Trail - Lory
    Current Conditions-1220190902.jpg

mtbr member
    FYI, Hall Ranch is a mess past the bench above the Bitterbrush rock garden. It's 99% dry up to that point, but not worth going past it. Just do laps on the rock garden to hone your tech skills.

I'm surprised it isn't closed past that point, TBH. Lots of people riding around the mud and destroying the trail already, it's no wonder that section of "singletrack" is five feet wide now.

mtbr member
    Dakota Ridge was super packed today. Some snow on the climb, the saddle by Zorro is a mess, but rideable. Lower stairs are covered by ice and snow. Upper stairs are dry. Sparse, random mud spots the rest of the way keeping your tires slick.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

always licking the glass
    North table was mostly clear yesterday. A couple of muddy spots and some thin ice but nothing too horrible. By tomorrow with today’s warmth it should be nice.

mtbr member
    LHCOHV is clear. Some death ice up high on the climb above 5 points.

Awesomist™
    I rode Heil Valley Ranch on Monday, very rideable. A few moist spots in the beginning of the singletrack and a handful of death ice bits on the upper loop is all. Rode up Wapiti, did the Ponderosa loop CW, then back down Wapiti. I don't ride up near Boulder that often, but saw reports on the 303TM Facebook group that it was rideable. Happy I went, my girlfriend had never ridden there and dug the trail. Just rocky enough for her, still fun for me. Windy as though.

Quote Originally Posted by eurochien View Post
    My rule, when I have no updates on trail conditions from various online sources, is to simply look at the foothills (I live in Highlands Ranch). If I still see snow patches in the foothills, I don't go.
    This isn't reliable in my experience. There's still plenty of snow patches that can be seen from HR, but there's also some dry dirt to be ridden. Speaking of... I'm off to knock out a NTM lap...

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    North table was mostly clear yesterday. A couple of muddy spots and some thin ice but nothing too horrible. By tomorrow with today’s warmth it should be nice.
    Curious on your route, but also I'll just go pedal up Lithic and figure it out.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Just rode up Lithic, and Cottonwood, over to the waterfall decent, and back to Lithic. Gtg.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    Just rode up Lithic, and Cottonwood, over to the waterfall decent, and back to Lithic. Gtg.

I just rode Lithic > Cottonwood > North Table Loop CCW > neighborhood access and can confirm it is totally rideable. Only a few sections of wetness and only half of them were even remotely questionable. All of them are very short. Good to hear the Waterfall is rideable, I chatted with a fella on trail that said he rode the loop above that (Rim Rock I assume) and he said that was really muddy by the stairs, so I chose to go the other direction.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Anyone road hall/heil recently? Trying to confirm we can ride it sunday.!
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Both have been pretty clear for a while. Bitterbrush is good for sure. Nelson and Antelope might still be messy. Picture is most likely closed.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Anyone road hall/heil recently? Trying to confirm we can ride it sunday.!
    Hall rock garden is good, beyond is muddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Hall rock garden is good, beyond is muddy.
    Bitterbrush is good all the way to the loop. Nelson and Antelope are both closed.

And Heil Ranch sucks.

mtbr member
    Has anyone ridden Devils Backbone, Coyote Ridge or Bobcat Ridge recently? They all show as "open" on the NOCO Trail Report, but I'm guessing there's still plenty of mud and ice. I've been riding Hall and Left Hand so much lately, I need to mix it up!

slow
    Has anyone ridden Devils Backbone, Coyote Ridge or Bobcat Ridge recently? They all show as "open" on the NOCO Trail Report, but I'm guessing there's still plenty of mud and ice. I've been riding Hall and Left Hand so much lately, I need to mix it up!
    Up north we are still dealing with melting from the big drifts that formed during the Thanksgiving storm, along with the ice in the trail treads that was formed by packing down that big snow.

A friend rode DBB today and said that there are some short muddy and icy sections on the valley section before the first big climb, the middle sections are in good shape, and then it gets muddy when you drop down the back side toward Blue Sky.

Friends who have ridden Blue Sky said it has some wet sections, especially coming from the north and it is better ridden via Coyote Ridge. Coyote Ridge is pretty sloppy on the approach to the cabin and then there is a bunch of ice in that first north facing ravine after the cabin. The middle valley has been soft in the afternoons.

No recent updates on Bobcat, but the webcam still shows snow on the ground in places.
    https://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/s...kUdqt_fEuTrzNM

Motocrosser gone mtb
    Colorado springs is clearing after the warm weather today 1/14/20. I imagine austin bluffs open space, and ute valley. will be good for the weekend. Palmer will most likely still be mud and ice in the shaded areas.
    Winter Park Paper Boy click below
    https://youtu.be/AdClskxRY1I

mtbr member
    Up north we are still dealing with melting from the big drifts that formed during the Thanksgiving storm, along with the ice in the trail treads that was formed by packing down that big snow.

A friend rode DBB today and said that there are some short muddy and icy sections on the valley section before the first big climb, the middle sections are in good shape, and then it gets muddy when you drop down the back side toward Blue Sky.

Friends who have ridden Blue Sky said it has some wet sections, especially coming from the north and it is better ridden via Coyote Ridge. Coyote Ridge is pretty sloppy on the approach to the cabin and then there is a bunch of ice in that first north facing ravine after the cabin. The middle valley has been soft in the afternoons.

No recent updates on Bobcat, but the webcam still shows snow on the ground in places.
    https://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/s...kUdqt_fEuTrzNM
    Thanks for the update. If anyone has a first-hand report from this weekend on any of the above-mentioned trails, I'd appreciate it. Hoping to hit Coyote Ridge and maybe Bobcat Ridge this coming week.

slow
    Thanks for the update. If anyone has a first-hand report from this weekend on any of the above-mentioned trails, I'd appreciate it. Hoping to hit Coyote Ridge and maybe Bobcat Ridge this coming week.
    Two different friends rode DBB and Blue Sky today and both regretted it due to the sloppy conditions.

Coyote Ridge is closed Tuesday and Wednesday this week for regrading of the road between the parking lot and the cabin.

mtbr member
    Has anyone been up falcon/Apex/ Lookout Mountain in the past couple of days?

SS in CO
    anyone know how Canon City is?

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Feel the biking fever coming on. Can anyone recomend an area to rent a fatbike and get a fun day in (preferably within an hour of golden)? Never been before, but I think this snow is going nowhere soon.

mtbr member
    Go grab a Reeb fatty from the guys in Longmont, then head over to Hall and/or Picture Rock to ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'll be in Boulder 2/22 and 2/23. Looks like on 2/22 the weather might be ok so I'm thinking of either mtnb or hiking. Any local trails look ok for riding? How does Chautauqua or Mt. Sanitas look for hiking? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    I'll be in Boulder 2/22 and 2/23. Looks like on 2/22 the weather might be ok so I'm thinking of either mtnb or hiking. Any local trails look ok for riding? How does Chautauqua or Mt. Sanitas look for hiking? Thanks.
    Both those trails will be snowpacked and icy for hiking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks, xcguy. I saw the Valmont bike park is also closed. Any local trails I should consider to get outside? If not I'll just plan to walk around Boulder, Pearl St., etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    Thanks, xcguy. I saw the Valmont bike park is also closed. Any local trails I should consider to get outside? If not I'll just plan to walk around Boulder, Pearl St., etc.
    You could walk around Chataqua on the lower part just to get a feel for it, farther up it would be too steep/slick. Sanitas would be impassable, it's really steep...and it's snowing today into tonight! Walking around Boulder Mall isn't necessarily hiking but it might be your best bet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    You could walk around Chataqua on the lower part just to get a feel for it, farther up it would be too steep/slick. Sanitas would be impassable, it's really steep...and it's snowing today into tonight! Walking around Boulder Mall isn't necessarily hiking but it might be your best bet.
    I've visited Boulder several times and done those hikes. Sanitas would not be fun if icy. I'll bring some hiking shows for Chat. and just enjoy any trails that are available.

mtbr member
    Yeah, unfortunately there's not going to be any real mountain biking on the Front Range for another couple of weeks, at least. We had it so good until early February...

mtbr member
    Lithic and Cottonwood on North Table are dry as a bone. I ventured a little bit onto the Mesa where there was a dry path, then returned back the way I came.

Moosehead
    Tues 3/10. Apex closed. Chimney dry up to first bridge, 1/2 snow and slush between bridges but melting fast, finished climb on the road between Windy Saddle and BB’s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Green mountain must be dry...can anyone confirm? New bike and I need to ride it somewhere!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jlschrrs View Post
    Green mountain must be dry...can anyone confirm? New bike and I need to ride it somewhere!
    If I were to guess I'd say it's probably good. Go try it! I took the cross bike up STM this morning. The dirt was great. Hit LHOHV last weekend, lots of good stuff to ride there that is dry. I'm guessing NTM, Dakota Ridge and Floyd Hill are good to go too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by useless info View Post
    If I were to guess I'd say it's probably good. Go try it! I took the cross bike up STM this morning. The dirt was great. Hit LHOHV last weekend, lots of good stuff to ride there that is dry. I'm guessing Dakota Ridge and Floyd Hill are good to go too.
    It also looks like Jeffco opened up a bunch of stuff like Apex this morning. No idea if Apex trail is good all the way to the top, but Pick-n-sledge is probably good. If you do, go let us know what's up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Heil is good - the main trails. Picture Rock is closed of course (also Overland and Schoolhouse).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlschrrs View Post
    Rooney is gtg, top of fire road still a bit muddy. Box O Rocks not gtg. Top and very bottom are ok, but middle is still muddy as hell. Climb up from hayden is ok until top, near radio tower. Slop fest.

mtbr member
    Red Rocks, Matthews Winters, and Dakota Ridge are great. A little bit of slush, mud, and water on the Matthews Winters trail near the Morrison Slide intersection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Deer Creek was still closed yesterday

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    Red Rocks, Matthews Winters, and Dakota Ridge are great. A little bit of slush, mud, and water on the Matthews Winters trail near the Morrison Slide intersection.

More than a little. It was muddy yesterday. I'd stay off the North side of the slide. Not worth the shape your bike to ride that.

mtbr member
    Coyote Ridge, Rim Rock, Blue Sky, Indian Summer and Devil's Backbone are all good to go- absolutely hero dirt, in fact.

I also read that the lower part of Hall is in great shape (Nelson is still closed), but I haven't ridden it personally.

mtbr member
    Any rain up north?

mtbr member
    Light snow right now... I don't think anything today will effect trail conditions for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Hall Ranch was near perfect today... a little slick/sloppy on the top half of Antelope, but the rest was about as good as it gets. Nelson Loop is still closed.

mtbr member
    Chimney is dry to the first bridge then pretty good to the saddle. I went a little past and it is all rideable but not much fun. Apex Gut, Pick, and Argos are all good to go, gut has a couple soft spots but its good.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hildebrand and Deer Creek are open. You shoulda seen the parking lot at Deer creek yesterday

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anybody know the conditions at Buffalo Creek?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Hildebrand and Deer Creek are open. You shoulda seen the parking lot at Deer creek yesterday
    Attempted Deer Creek today and won't be back for a while. There is a ton of snow. I turned around at the wall. Rattlesnake Gulch is greasy at the bottom but dry otherwise.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    Attempted Deer Creek today and won't be back for a while. There is a ton of snow. I turned around at the wall. Rattlesnake Gulch is greasy at the bottom but dry otherwise.
    I was surprised they'd opened Deer Creek with all the melting still going on in the shadows. The connector across Deer Creek Road (is that still Rattlesnake Gulch?) is dry and maybe all the way across the mesa over to South Valley.

There was a herd of deer right on that connector. I got up to within 5' of them and they didn't move.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    Thanks for the update. Not really surprised though, I can still see quite a bit of snow in the foothills from my viewpoint in Highlands Ranch. Deer Creek, being shaded and north-facing is one of the last of Jeffco "suburban" trails to be snow-free. And even after that it might be wet and sloppy for awhile, especially above The Wall.
    Has anyone checked out Falcon?
    New to Colorado since 1993.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I went for a trail run at Apex today. Drying out nicely. It's a little more wet than it was last week right before the snow and more of the ice has melted.

I saw a few people riding today. If you are going to ride just be aware there is a tree down that falls over Apex trail between sluicebox and the bridges. So be careful of that if you are taking Apex down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Also, does anyone know if we can mountain bike for exercise with the stay at home order in place?

Edit: I should mention im mostly curious abouy jeffco stay at home order, but feel free to discuss others.

mtbr member
    Yes, you can.

mtbr member
    People definitely aren't social distancing... driving past NTM and Green mountain the parking lots were packed, people everywhere. It sounds like with the new state-wide order they have the authority to close parks where people aren't obeying the law.
    Denver, CO

always licking the glass

Current Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    People definitely aren't social distancing... driving past NTM and Green mountain the parking lots were packed, people everywhere. It sounds like with the new state-wide order they have the authority to close parks where people aren't obeying the law.
    Honestly, I’m not sure what they’re gonna do. If you close the parks, people will congregate in the streets. Hard to break human nature and instinct

Valmont sounds like it was a zoo too. Was planning on riding Erie tomorrow but it doesn’t feel right. Gonna stick to the fire roads near my house for now.

mtbr member
    Valmont sounds like it was a zoo too. Was planning on riding Erie tomorrow but it doesn’t feel right. Gonna stick to the fire roads near my house for now.
    Just because parking lots are full doesn't mean people aren't spread out. That's hardly a metric to judge.

Stripes: Erie is totally fine when it's packed... all the trails are directional, and it's easy to space out. Go ride, you're not being unreasonable.

Trail Update (good for the next 18 hours, I guess): I rode Bobcat Ridge yesterday. All of Ginny was perfect. Over the Rocks was 95% perfect, with a couple of small snow drifts in the shadows about 1/2 into the trail.

always licking the glass
    Just because parking lots are full doesn't mean people aren't spread out. That's hardly a metric to judge.

Stripes: Erie is totally fine when it's packed... all the trails are directional, and it's easy to space out. Go ride, you're not being unreasonable.

Trail Update (good for the next 18 hours, I guess): I rode Bobcat Ridge yesterday. All of Ginny was perfect. Over the Rocks was 95% perfect, with a couple of small snow drifts in the shadows about 1/2 into the trail.
    Valmont by its nature doesn’t lend itself to being spread out. I’ve switched to riding mornings to avoid more people. At my local trails at home, even 10am was better than 2pm. Nice to not have to ride with the crowds.

This might make me a dawn patrol rider after all.

mtbr member
    I rode Hall this afternoon... relatively uncrowded given the circumstances. The whole trail system is now open, and Nelson Loop is in amazing condition. Hopefully the rain/snow for tomorrow isn't too bad!

mtbr member

It is when they're all hanging out drinking beer, bullshitting, etc. The forest service is starting to close trailheads and I noticed rangers parked at the Green Mountain lot today. I give it a week before all trailheads are closed.

Stripes- I think that's bullshit. Plenty of the country doesn't have an outside to recreate in. They go jogging by their house or do nothing. It's only because this is colorado and everyone is entitled.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    It is when they're all hanging out drinking beer, bullshitting, etc. The forest service is starting to close trailheads and I noticed rangers parked at the Green Mountain lot today. I give it a week before all trailheads are closed.
    I agree with your first statement, but I hope you’re wrong with the last one. The government is taking so much of people’s lives already, if they did that it would be the start of a revolt.

mtbr member
    I agree with your first statement, but I hope you’re wrong with the last one. The government is taking so much of people’s lives already, if they did that it would be the start of a revolt.
    I know of at least a half a dozen people in their 30's and 40's who are otherwise healthy and are now on a ventilator or worse, struggling to not die. Non-smokers, non-vapers, etc.

I don't think the general public is taking this serious enough. We're all going to pay for it in the name of "Merica".
    Denver, CO

always licking the glass

Stripes- I think that's bullshit. Plenty of the country doesn't have an outside to recreate in. They go jogging by their house or do nothing. It's only because this is colorado and everyone is entitled.
    What did I say that was bullshit? You were quoting someone else, not me.

always licking the glass
    I know of at least a half a dozen people in their 30's and 40's who are otherwise healthy and are now on a ventilator or worse, struggling to not die. Non-smokers, non-vapers, etc.

I don't think the general public is taking this serious enough. We're all going to pay for it in the name of "Merica".
    That really sucks. this scares me, and ARDS sounds horrible and people have to suffer through it alone

I’m sorry to hear that. It would help if the general public was given straightforward directives. We are not, and it’s not your fault.

At the time I wrote my earlier post I was thinking of heading to Erie, but opted to just ride the trails outside my house. And for now, that’s all I’m gonna do.

Riding only in the mornings now to avoid people. I also try to go to the store during the day when people are working and after the elderly do their shopping and avoid as many people as possible.

And I really hate that politicians are willing to kill us because they won’t test us, and they won’t support the medical staff and hospitals enough

Resident Gear Head
    Hall Ranch is fully open in Boulder with only a few tiny spots of mud on Antelope and Nelson. Loads of traffic though. Now is when you realize that all of the non-segregated, non-directional trails on the Front Range can't handle much traffic at all.

Heil Ranch is also open and good to go. Not sure if the rain today will change it

I’m sorry to hear that. It would help if the general public was given straightforward directives. We are not, and it’s not your fault.
    What part of stay at home isn't straightforward?
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    .......It's only because this is colorado and everyone is entitled.
    This.

I think the sooner we all realize we're are all going to have to take a bite out of a shit sandwich to avoid being force fed buckets of shit, the better off we all will be. So we won't be able to ride as usual for a few months. Boo hoo. It beats being sick or dead, or knowing your carelessness and entitlement caused someone else to get sick, or God forbid, die. Trust me, when you get the virus, your point of view changes immensely.

SS in CO
    How much rain/snow did Hall get today?