COVID-19 and Jeffco Trail Access- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

COVID-19 and Jeffco Trail Access

Has anyone heard any feedback from Jeffco regarding trail access and COVID-19? I was out at Dakota Ridge yesterday and it was packed. It looked like Matthew Winters, Red Rocks, and Falcon were all busy too. I was happy to see so many people getting outside and enjoying the open space responsibility.

With that said, it looks like Denver Water just shut down access to Waterton Canyon. What are the odds that Jeffco will shut down access to all their trails as a pre-caution?

I hope this doesn't happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmurrow View Post
    Has anyone heard any feedback from Jeffco regarding trail access and COVID-19? I was out at Dakota Ridge yesterday and it was packed. It looked like Matthew Winters, Red Rocks, and Falcon were all busy too. I was happy to see so many people getting outside and enjoying the open space responsibility.

With that said, it looks like Denver Water just shut down access to Waterton Canyon. What are the odds that Jeffco will shut down access to all their trails as a pre-caution?

I hope this doesn't happen.
    There's no rational reason to do so. The only way I think this happens is if there's a larger quarantine/lockdown in place, and they're complying with that order.

Hell, the National Parks just announced there's no entry fee right now, essentially encouraging more people to visit. Interesting strategy.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I was curious as well, rode NTM around 1 yesterday and it was the busiest I have ever seen it without question.. Around 4 pm the parking area on the Easley road side had extended about 1/2 mile up the road.. crazy.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't put anything past our local and state Government right in terms of exercising their "Executive Powers" and shutting things down. I hope that when this blows over everyone realizes that this was a massive over-reaction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    There's no rational reason to do so. The only way I think this happens is if there's a larger quarantine/lockdown in place, and they're complying with that order.

Hell, the National Parks just announced there's no entry fee right now, essentially encouraging more people to visit. Interesting strategy.
    I hope you are right. How is your tour business being impacted by this? I feel for small business owners right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmurrow View Post
    I hope you are right. How is your tour business being impacted by this? I feel for small business owners right now.
    It's definitely an interesting time... with so much uncertainty, it's hard to plan for anything. But we're doing our best, and luckily our clients are very understanding, and it's been OK so far.

We'll be postponing (rescheduling) all of our spring Apr/May/June trips, and moving those trips to the fall. So assuming that things are back to "normal" in 2-3 months, hopefully we can pick up in the summer and be super busy until mid-November. We'll definitely miss out on some trip revenue, but that's alright.

If the current state of things worsens and lasts throughout the year, then it'll be a very different picture.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    This is, by far, the likeliest scenario, IMO. In fact, I would not be surprised to see it before the weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    This is, by far, the likeliest scenario, IMO. In fact, I would not be surprised to see it before the weekend.
    If you listen to Polis' press conference yesterday, he mentioned even more stringent social distancing policies going forward. I'm going to take a guess and say Friday evening he will announce a lockdown in several areas, to begin on Sunday.

I'm going to guess the Front Range, plus Eagle, Pitkin, and Gunnison counties.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    If you listen to Polis' press conference yesterday, he mentioned even more stringent social distancing policies going forward. I'm going to take a guess and say Friday evening he will announce a lockdown in several areas, to begin on Sunday.

I'm going to guess the Front Range, plus Eagle, Pitkin, and Gunnison counties.
    I heard a rumor that Polis is considering a shelter in place order for all of Colorado . I'm skeptical, but hoarding snacks like it's 1999.

trailpimp
    Jul 2007
    Anyone been to the trails? Wrestling with the ethics of riding these days?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Lately the trailhead parking at Mt. Falcon/Hildebrand and Deer Creek have been packed with vehicles. FWTW
    The only reply to a fool is silence

mtbr member
    I've been riding North Table from my house the last few days. Not too busy up the back side and around the north side of the loop. Haven't ventured to the main trailhead, or the fire road. Seems like they'd be packed, but no first-hand experience. There have been a lot of cars parked in unoffical areas.

I drove past Marshall Mesa today. TONS of cars there, saw lots of people on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by hopalong View Post
    I've only dabbled a little with riding on the trails. I went all around green mountain and bear creek around the time that Denver shutdown. While I want to enjoy this weather I'm really not sure its worth the risks. Social distancing out there seems impossible to me.
    °Rodando Por Ti!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CromolyCowboy View Post
    I've only dabbled a little with riding on the trails. I went all around green mountain and bear creek around the time that Denver shutdown. While I want to enjoy this weather I'm really not sure its worth the risks. Social distancing out there seems impossible to me.
    In the last week I've ridden Bobcat Ridge, Hall Ranch, White Ranch, Betasso and Left Hand (I'm central to all of them). While most parking lots have been ~3/4 full, I haven't seen more than half a dozen other riders on the trails at each spot, over the course of 12-15 mile rides. Earlier this week, Betasso was the emptiest I've seen it in a long time, regardless of day/time. There's plenty of room to spread out. Unless you're heading out on the weekend during peak times on a handful of overly-popular trails, there's no risk involved.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Ethics? It's self-preservation.

It was stupid crowded every time I drove by the trail this morning.
    I've never been afraid to make predictions in here so I will go ahead and predict an "unexpected" surge in Colorado covid cases in 2 weeks.

Covid is not like the flu. It's not normal. It's a highly, highly contagious disease that we don't yet understand or have a cure for. Think Polio back in the 1950's. Ask a boomer about Polio.

Just say no... to becoming a statistic. It's not worth it dude.

Go solo gravel riding instead.

Formerly of Kent
    Iím normally not a fire road climber, but I am until this is done. Why? Iím trying to minimize my time breathing hard, going slow near other people. Iíll still descend on single track, but Iím going faster and not sucking as much air in. Maybe thatís flawed logic, but it makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Human Crayon
    Thereís only so much distancing that can be some passing on single track. Iíve been looking at google maps and making loops from my house, connecting local trails, gravel road, paths, old rails, etc to mix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

a dad
    Jan 2004
    It certainly varies by the day.. I have ridden every day this week (from my house).. some days I won't go up NTM because there are like 30 people in the first 1/2 mile that I can see.. Thursday, it was dead.. White ranch has been good, obviously just a more spread out area and it has a preferred direction for the most part so I usually only see a handful of people..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Maybe I have a cavalier attitude, but I've been riding the way I always do - I ride solo - and I'm mildly amused by people outdoors with masks on, or who see someone coming and pull up their bandannas/masks/scarf/neck gaiter/whatever over their faces real quick lest the spores from the danger stranger jump at them, out there in open space. I might regret this if I get hit (although it's more likely that it would be from a trip to Kings Soopers), but in the meantime I find it freaking silly to act like that, especially considering that I saw groups of several hikers (White Ranch) whom I doubt live together in the same house that would wig out and cover their faces anytime they'd cross someone on the trail. I'm amazed what people will do for a sense of security and perceived protection and almost curious to see how far this could be taken as a social experiment.
    Forgot to add... There's one thing that has changed in the way I ride. I don't try features that are too risky. No need to burden the health care system with a recreational injury and/or ending up in a covid nest.
    New to Colorado since 1993.

mtbr member
    The non N95 and makeshift masks are mainly to prevent contaminating others should you be a carrier. They offer little to no protection to the wearer.

Social distancing and mask wearing is more about responsibility and concern for others.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurochien View Post
    Maybe I have a cavalier attitude, but I've been riding the way I always do - I ride solo - and I'm mildly amused by people outdoors with masks on, or who see someone coming and pull up their bandannas/masks/scarf/neck gaiter/whatever over their faces real quick lest the spores from the danger stranger jump at them, out there in open space. I might regret this if I get hit (although it's more likely that it would be from a trip to Kings Soopers), but in the meantime I find it freaking silly to act like that, especially considering that I saw groups of several hikers (White Ranch) whom I doubt live together in the same house that would wig out and cover their faces anytime they'd cross someone on the trail. I'm amazed what people will do for a sense of security and perceived protection and almost curious to see how far this could be taken as a social experiment.
    Forgot to add... There's one thing that has changed in the way I ride. I don't try features that are too risky. No need to burden the health care system with a recreational injury and/or ending up in a covid nest.
    Everyone gets to adopt their own level of risk on trails, and now that includes the risk of infection. You are correct that a trip to the grocery store is probably more dangerous than using a trail, bit it is also true that if you get the virus, it would probably be blamed on the grocery store even if you got it on a trail, because there is no way to know.

trailpimp
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Ethics? It's self-preservation.

It was stupid crowded every time I drove by the trail this morning.
    I've never been afraid to make predictions in here so I will go ahead and predict an "unexpected" surge in Colorado covid cases in 2 weeks.

Covid is not like the flu. It's not normal. It's a highly, highly contagious disease that we don't yet understand or have a cure for. Think Polio back in the 1950's. Ask a boomer about Polio.

Just say no... to becoming a statistic. It's not worth it dude.

Go solo gravel riding instead.
    The ethics I was referring to are the ethics of the potential for adding burden to an already overrun medical / hospital team. 999 times out of 1000 nothing happens on a ride... but who knows... I did get out once about a week ago, and while the parking lot looked empty, there were a ton of folks on the trail. Not worth passing people who are breathing heavy on singletrack, as much as it really sucks to miss out on the nice weather.

Motocrosser gone mtb
    Look into the facts, us as mtbers. Are not going to get very sick if infected, or when infected. We have very good lung function why? because most of us push the limits in this dept. One thing that is risky for us. Is because we are healthy and strong. We could very well be infected and not even know it. So spreading the infection is very likely. Look at pictures of very ill people they all already were sick before, like unhealthy desk riding overweight sick. So fellow mtb be mindful of other unhealthy people. you might very well be their killer...
    Winter Park Paper Boy click below
    https://youtu.be/AdClskxRY1I

Human Crayon

COVID-19 and Jeffco Trail Access

Here in the Springs, people arenít taking it as seriously as other towns (go figure). The way I see it, anything is better than nothing, when it comes to the mask wearing. I see groups of riders and they are all in a line huffing their way along. Granted youíre outside, but youíre riding in your buddies wake, lol. Go solo, avoid crowds and keep the tech to a minimum to avoid hospital visits. My suburban rides have made me think creatively about my routes and using whatís around. Kind of like the old days of skateboarding. Itís actually a nice break from lapping the same trails over and over. At this point, Iím thinking Limon might actually become a destination after all
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mxcobra View Post
    Look into the facts, us as mtbers. Are not going to get very sick if infected, or when infected. We have very good lung function why? because most of us push the limits in this dept. One thing that is risky for us. Is because we are healthy and strong. We could very well be infected and not even know it. So spreading the infection is very likely. Look at pictures of very ill people they all already were sick before, like unhealthy desk riding overweight sick. So fellow mtb be mindful of other unhealthy people. you might very well be their killer...

https://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-fro...e-1085891.html

mtbr member
    The ethics I was referring to are the ethics of the potential for adding burden to an already overrun medical / hospital team. 999 times out of 1000 nothing happens on a ride... but who knows... I did get out once about a week ago, and while the parking lot looked empty, there were a ton of folks on the trail. Not worth passing people who are breathing heavy on singletrack, as much as it really sucks to miss out on the nice weather.
    This is interesting. I'll say that I'm definitely taking it easy (or at least, not doing anything stupid) when I go out and ride these days for this exact reason.

That said, hospitals are not overrun around here; the ICUs likely are, and their resources are most certainly. But I have multiple ER doctor friends who are actually having their shifts cut because their patient volume is down almost 50% and they're not needed. It's crazy to see the difference in staffing and resources within the same hospital, quite possibly just a floor apart.

mtbr member
    According to Healthdata.org, Colorado is WELL under hospital bed, ICU, and ventilator capacity. Meaning, we're in no danger of filling our hospitals. Time to open up the state a little.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    According to Healthdata.org, Colorado is WELL under hospital bed, ICU, and ventilator capacity. Meaning, we're in no danger of filling our hospitals. Time to open up the state a little.
    Time to open up the state so more people will die than would otherwise?

Lets say the state is correct in saying the actual number of cases is 4 to 7 times the diagnosed number. That means roughly 30,000-75,000 cases in the state. The are 5.5 Million people in the state. So 5.4 Million aren't immune, there is no vaccine, and there are obviously asymptomatic people around. How does this work?

As *soon* as the state is opened up, people from other states who are out of work and whose kids have online school and can fake it from anywhere, will flood Colorado to take that long awaited and richly deserved vacation, never mind that little Angie is running a slight fever and breathes funny, it is probably just a cold. Then, when they get here, they all get sick and end up in some mountain town hospital, after infecting a few locals.

Opening anything at this point, or for the foreseeable future, is going to result in a lot of people dying. China opened up 10 days ago. Surprise, cases are rising. Spain opened up "a little" today. Get back to us at the end of the month. They'll be in lockdown again.

mtbr member
    I hear what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing. But, there is a flip-side. How many lives are being ruined because people can't work? How many homes are going to be foreclosed? There is a real cost to not having a functioning economy.

Please note, I did say "a little." That doesn't mean a free-for-all, nor am I claiming to know the best way to do it. Perhaps more testing, infrared thermometers scanning students as they enter school, scanning customers. Anyone over 100.4 has to be turned away. Quarantining the healthy defeats the purpose of having a quarantine. Identify the sick, asymptomatic included, so that the rest of the state, and country can get back to work.

Edit: as for china, if their numbers are to be believed, they're doing better than most of the rest of the world.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/china/

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Time to open up the state so more people will die than would otherwise?

Lets say the state is correct in saying the actual number of cases is 4 to 7 times the diagnosed number. That means roughly 30,000-75,000 cases in the state. The are 5.5 Million people in the state. So 5.4 Million aren't immune, there is no vaccine, and there are obviously asymptomatic people around. How does this work?

As *soon* as the state is opened up, people from other states who are out of work and whose kids have online school and can fake it from anywhere, will flood Colorado to take that long awaited and richly deserved vacation, never mind that little Angie is running a slight fever and breathes funny, it is probably just a cold. Then, when they get here, they all get sick and end up in some mountain town hospital, after infecting a few locals.

Opening anything at this point, or for the foreseeable future, is going to result in a lot of people dying. China opened up 10 days ago. Surprise, cases are rising. Spain opened up "a little" today. Get back to us at the end of the month. They'll be in lockdown again.
    I tend to agree with you.. When they do open things back up around here, we are going to lay low for a bit and see what happens. Seeing as we work from home, its not a big deal, and we have discovered we are better cooks than most restaurants...
    BBZ

mtbr member
    If you have the Weather Channel app on your phone, they added a Covid 19 button on the bottom right of the screen. It takes you to a page that shows the up to date infections and deaths in various counties.

For Jeff Co, it shows 763 cases, up 47% from a week ago and 29 deaths, up 61% from a week ago.
    Denver is 1247, +51% and 46 deaths up 206%
    Arapahoe 1083, +78%, 38 deaths up 153%

Another place for this data is Co state Covid19 website. https://covid19.colorado.gov/case-data

Me going riding and getting covid as a result would suck, but me bringing it home, infecting one or more of my loved ones and having them get sick, debilitated or die would suck unimaginably more...just because I had to go out and ride.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    Edit: as for china, if their numbers are to be believed, they're doing better than most of the rest of the world.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/china/
    I'd as soon believe Judas, Brutus, Nixon and every liar in the history of liars than believe Covid-19 numbers coming from the Chinese Communist Party.
    New to Colorado since 1993.