Team Velveeta™

Comment to FS - Salida's Cottonwood Gulch

For several years now Salida Mountain Trails has been working with the Salida Ranger District of the San Isabel National Forest to develop and expand the Cottonwood Gulch Trail north and east of town in the Arkansas Hills.

Feb. 29th is the last day they will be accepting comments supporting the Proposed Cottonwood Trail expansion. The Cottonwood Gulch Trail is a really sweet trail, normally rideable for 9 or more months per year, exiting right into the Arkansas Hills Trail System developed in recent years just above Salida.

This project would make Cottonwood Gulch a numbered system trail. Part of the project is a proposed official linkage between the upper part of the trail and the intersection with the main county road normally used to access it.

Furthermore, it could help open the door for new alternative routes up from town that could allow for 30+ mile all singletrack loops right from downtown Salida. This area is dry pinon/juniper forest with ponderosa forest up higher. It is usually open into December and drying out sometime in March. In the 2010-11 season it was open the whole year.

Please send comments to Ben Lara, blara@fs.fed.us
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    For several years now Salida Mountain Trails has been working with the Salida Ranger District of the San Isabel National Forest to develop and expand the Cottonwood Gulch Trail north and east of town in the Arkansas Hills.

Feb. 29th is the last day they will be accepting comments supporting the Proposed Cottonwood Trail expansion. The Cottonwood Gulch Trail is a really sweet trail, normally rideable for 9 or more months per year, exiting right into the Arkansas Hills Trail System developed in recent years just above Salida.

This project would make Cottonwood Gulch a numbered system trail. Part of the project is a proposed official linkage between the upper part of the trail and the intersection with the main county road normally used to access it.

Furthermore, it could help open the door for new alternative routes up from town that could allow for 30+ mile all singletrack loops right from downtown Salida. This area is dry pinon/juniper forest with ponderosa forest up higher. It is usually open into December and drying out sometime in March. In the 2010-11 season it was open the whole year.

Please send comments to Ben Lara, blara@fs.fed.us
    Sent.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Members who have read this thread: 0