Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    948

    New question here. Colorado Springs winter

    Hi,
    Could you tell me if there is usually any (mtb) riding around CS in January?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    Yes. All the normal parks, some might have snow but completely doable!

  3. #3
    Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard
    Hi,
    Could you tell me if there is usually any (mtb) riding around CS in January?
    There might be depending on the storms--if we get hit by a storm, things might not be ridable while it's melting (although it's fine to ride on snow of course), but we don't get a ton of snow in January. Just PLEASE don't ride Palmer Park or Ute Valley if it is muddy--it does a LOT of damage riding those trails when they are wet.

  4. #4
    on my 3rd wind...
    Reputation: SingleTrackHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,825
    Ride in the morning before sun does its magic or at night when trails freeze back up.
    sth

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    There might be depending on the storms--if we get hit by a storm, things might not be ridable while it's melting (although it's fine to ride on snow of course), but we don't get a ton of snow in January. Just PLEASE don't ride Palmer Park or Ute Valley if it is muddy--it does a LOT of damage riding those trails when they are wet.
    That's what I was worried about. Are there trails/areas that get less moisture? Or that dry quickly?

  6. #6
    Medicine Wheel Guy
    Reputation: Martlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    224
    Pueblo Reservoir also has outstanding winter riding. Just be sure to check conditions, because it can get muddy (but it dries out fast)

    Maps are on the Medicine Wheel web site here:

    http://www.medwheel.org/gps.html

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xcutterx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    296
    pueblo is the winter spot for sure! it always seems to be dry and is generally a little warmer than the springs.

  8. #8
    Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard
    That's what I was worried about. Are there trails/areas that get less moisture? Or that dry quickly?
    As other posters have said, Pueblo is good (but it's 40 miles away). The Cheyenne Canyon trails are great to ride when wet and/or snowy because of their decomposed granite composition. However, after a certain amount of snow, it becomes pretty hard to ride up them. If we have a continued "dry" winter, I would bet that Cap'n Jacks will be rideable in January.

  9. #9
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,870
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    If we have a continued "dry" winter....
    WTF dude!! Ullr is listening. You'd better go out in the back yard and burn a snowboard and drink some whiskey to atone for your blasphemy.

  10. #10
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawls
    You'd better go out in the back yard and burn a snowboard and drink some whiskey to atone for your blasphemy.
    He's already halfway there.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  11. #11
    Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    WTF dude!! Ullr is listening. You'd better go out in the back yard and burn a snowboard and drink some whiskey to atone for your blasphemy.
    I'm confused here--would that INCREASE or DECREASE the amount of snow we will receive this winter???

    Regardless, I'm happy to burn a snowboard and drink whiskey....

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.