Colorado Springs Trails ?- Mtbr.com
    Out There
    Jan 2004

Colorado Springs Trails ?

I'm in Denver and an out-of-state client will be in Colorado Springs for several days in June. He's got a couple of hours open on a couple of days and he's an experienced cross-country racer.

Looking for recommendations for trails in or very near to Colorado Springs. I've ridden parts of Palmer Park. Any specific parts of Palmer Park recommended? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Super Technical XC (that is only if he ain't the typical "I hate technical riding" XC racer types):
    Start at the west entrance by the horse stables/bathrooms (off Circle Drive/Paseo).
    Head up behind the bathrooms and head left.
    You'll come to an open area after about 1/4 mile...head right.
    This is the bottom of the Edna Mae Bennett trail...point it up-hill and be prepared for a very Anerobic and challenging technical climb. About 100ft past the switchback roughly 1/3 mile up the trail - head LEFT this time up another sweet technical rock garden.
    Head Left at the fork.
    Follow The Templeton Trail all the way around.
    It will crank up a STEEP to a dirt road.
    Follow the dirt road to the lot...cross directly over the lot and find the top of the Edna Mae Bennett trail.
    Take it back down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Or...

For a 13.5 mile loop with exactly 2,000ft of climbing...

Climb The Chutes...up Goldcamp Road...up Buckhorn...come back down Captain Jacks...back down Goldcamp...back down The Chutes.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    When's he in town? I'd show him a few routes in Palmer - I'm no XC racer though!
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    When's he in town? I'd show him a few routes in Palmer - I'm no XC racer though!
    I just got back from riding Palmer Park this afternoon Road cobble stone and the whole stair area on clipless pedals. Not the best place to learn how to ride clipless on haha. Glad I did it though. Fun area.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I just got back from riding Palmer Park this afternoon Road cobble stone and the whole stair area on clipless pedals. Not the best place to learn how to ride clipless on haha. Glad I did it though. Fun area.
    Ya, that was a blast. It's always fun riding with people who are trying clipless pedals for the first time, and leading them down the most technical stuff you can find

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Ya, that was a blast. It's always fun riding with people who are trying clipless pedals for the first time, and leading them down the most technical stuff you can find
    Haha, yea it was fun. Even though I went OTB a few times, lol. Good riding though.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Here's the XC Lover's ride (I call it the Mark J Reynold's loop now):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Out There
    Jan 2004

Thanks, plus followup

Thanks for the specific Palmer Park route. Given time constraints, that's probably where he'll end up.

Can you tell me more about the Mark J Reynolds loop? Where is the trailhead? Any maps? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mark J Reynolds Memorial Loop:

13.5 miles
    About 2100ft of total climbing

Fat old me on my 37lb freeride rig can do this in just over 2hrs - TEAR IT UP you XC geeks!

Park: Stratton Open Space/Chutes Parking. Head West on West Cheyenne Boulevard to Ridgeway Avenue (next turn after Cresta). Look it up on Mappoint (Ridgeway Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO).

Start: Head directly West out of the parking lot and start climbing the road.
    Continue up the dirt road as it works it's way upward, at the resevoir bear right onto the singletrack to The Chutes.

The Chutes Trail.
    - Continue working your way up The Chutes - marvel at the berms and the rollercoaster'ish feel of the trail. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, especially if you start later than 9-10am. This is a SCREAMING blast to ride back down, so please KEEP YOUR HEAD UP and your ears open for bombing DH'ers. Suggestion...start EARLY, no later than 8am to avoid the bombing dh'ers.
    - After a brief, loose and steep last grunt. You'll end up on Goldcamp Road. PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings, you'll need to find this spot on the way back down!

Goldcamp Road
    - Head on up Goldcamp Road. You'll leave asphalt and continue riding on moderately washboarded dirt road for a few miles...even a cool tunnel through the mountainside.
    - You'll come around a corner and you'll find a very obvious parking lot and a gate that's normally open. If you hit more asphalt and start to head back down...you've gone too far. There will probably be quite a few vehicles at this lot for the slackers that didn't want to do the whole loop.
    - Head to the right - past the CLOSED gate. This is where Goldcamp road continues, but is still closed to motor vehicles. Continue for approx 1 mile, you'll see a very obvious trail on the right, Buckhorn.

Buckhorn
    - Head up Buckhorn. There's a nice root to climb over at the very start, a little rock outcropping just past that, and shortly thereafter a hefty switchback to the RIGHT. Do not continue on to the left.
    - Huffing and puffing up Buckhorn, glance off to your right occaisionally to catch the killer view and see how much altitude you've earned!
    - One switchback to the left followed closely by a right...keep climbing past a loose steep pitch and then another left switchback. You'll soon find a T in the trail. Head to the RIGHT.
    - About 200 yards later - you'll hit the primo pit stop, viewpoint and the high point of the loop.
    - LOCK AND LOAD! This is where it gets fun, tight singletrack covered in very fine and loose marble granite scree. If you fall at speed on this stuff you might as well take a cheese grater to your skin. Decent exposure too. Keep screaming to the road to Captain Jack's.

Captain Jack's
    - Cross the dirt road, the trailhead is on the left side of the parking lot (North side). Super fun ups and downs, beware of the "woopdie doos" left by the motorcycles - they can certainly catch you by suprise and toss you like a rag doll. BTW - Keep your ears open for motorcycles.
    - You'll come to an unmistakable place where the trail has been worn VERY deep, a short and loose tobagen run followed by a deep and loose runout of gravely granite "marbles", then a steep grunt of a climb up and over some roots, rocks and a few waterbars. Climbing is almost over!
    - Keep going as the trail wanders more towards the south, wraps around and starts to point more north/west again, a few more SHORT ups and you've reach the last climbing of the loop. Fire up the afterburners, hit the berms with a vengance - a few last woopdie doos and you'll dump into a parking lot. Look to the right up the road and you'll see the entrance to the tunnel you went through earlier - you're back at Goldcamp Road.

Goldcamp Road
    - Ride down Goldcamp, keeping your eyes peeled for The Chutes trailhead you climbed up from earlier. Drop-in and hang on...watch for uphill hikers, bikers AND equestrians!
    - Follow on down the dirt road after The Chutes.

You're done!
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Out There
    Jan 2004

Great! Thanks!

Above and beyond the call.

mtbr member
    ?????????
    GoatRidesBikes.com