Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832

    Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek?

    Has anyone here done this via Old Stage Road or the trails up that way? Just curious, a friend and I were talking about it. We would probably come back via Hwy 24.

  2. #2
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,813
    Gold Camp to Old Stage would be safer. I think it's safe to say the trails would be unrideable this time of year.

    UT

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    I wasn't planning on doing it now, sorry for the misunderstanding. It would be next summer

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xcutterx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    296
    its a good distance but a fun ride for sure. gold camp to old stage is a better route than doing old stage the entire way. bring lots of water.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    Will do. How long should it take?

  6. #6
    dwj
    dwj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    312
    we did it a couple of weeks ago on cx bikes. old stage is wicked icy in spots. old stage is a much harder climb. the advantage of doing it this time of the year is you won't be tempted off route by any sweet singletrack (since it is mostly snowed in up there) and there aren't nearly as many cars tearing up the road.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by dwj
    we did it a couple of weeks ago on cx bikes. old stage is wicked icy in spots. old stage is a much harder climb. the advantage of doing it this time of the year is you won't be tempted off route by any sweet singletrack (since it is mostly snowed in up there) and there aren't nearly as many cars tearing up the road.
    Yeah the cars up there do scare me at times!

  8. #8
    Going, Going, Gonzo
    Reputation: insect_o_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    We would probably come back via Hwy 24.
    I've thought about making a loop including Gold Camp / Cripple Creek / Divide / Rampart Range Road.

    Is there a standard off road / dirt road MTB connection from Cripple Creek to Divide?
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RockyMtnHigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    24

    Not all the way but...

    If you were to road ride to the Horse Thief/ Pancake rocks trailhead you could ride Ring the Peak to Catamount outside of Woodland Park.
    " So you pretty much dont like people who dont ride ?"

    My Wife

  10. #10
    Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,085
    I can't think of anything more depressing than the prospect of riding for 20 miles on a gravel road, only to be greated by geriatric old ladies sucking down cigaretts and oxygen (at the same time) while they flush their social security checks down a slot machine...

    Oh, wait--you can't smoke in the casinos anymore so I guess that doesn't sound so bad after all .

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnHigh
    If you were to road ride to the Horse Thief/ Pancake rocks trailhead you could ride Ring the Peak to Catamount outside of Woodland Park.
    Doesn't the ring the peak trail eventually tie into the Paul Interman/ Section 16 trail sections?

  12. #12
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    Doesn't the ring the peak trail eventually tie into the Paul Interman/ Section 16 trail sections?
    Yes

    http://www.fotp.com/ringthepeak/index.html

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    I can't think of anything more depressing than the prospect of riding for 20 miles on a gravel road, only to be greated by geriatric old ladies sucking down cigaretts and oxygen (at the same time) while they flush their social security checks down a slot machine...

    Oh, wait--you can't smoke in the casinos anymore so I guess that doesn't sound so bad after all .
    I enjoy the scenery and history along the ride. I think it would be a lot of fun and doing the Ring The Peak Trail on the return would be a great compliment to it!

  14. #14
    Going, Going, Gonzo
    Reputation: insect_o_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnHigh
    If you were to road ride to the Horse Thief/ Pancake rocks trailhead you could ride Ring the Peak to Catamount outside of Woodland Park.
    Ah very cool

    Thanks
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.