Still on Training Wheels!

Colorado All Around Tire

I need to get some new rubber for my 04 Coiler and this is really my first time looking for tires so I wanted to get your guy's oppinion. I ride everything from trail riding to Freeride to DH and use my Coiler for it all. I'm currently runing a set of 2.5 Azonic Vigilantes, they were freebies, but they need to be replaced pronto. I also am running Maxxis/stans tubless system and plan on doing so with the new tires. Weight isn't a huge deal, but I also will most likely need a strong cassing to run my getho tubless. I'm also looking at 2.35 or 2.5 sizes. What tires have you guys found to work well in most CO applications as well as riding applications. Any advice is greatly apreciated
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    I need to get some new rubber for my 04 Coiler and this is really my first time looking for tires so I wanted to get your guy's oppinion. I ride everything from trail riding to Freeride to DH and use my Coiler for it all. I'm currently runing a set of 2.5 Azonic Vigilantes, they were freebies, but they need to be replaced pronto. I also am running Maxxis/stans tubless system and plan on doing so with the new tires. Weight isn't a huge deal, but I also will most likely need a strong cassing to run my getho tubless. I'm also looking at 2.35 or 2.5 sizes. What tires have you guys found to work well in most CO applications as well as riding applications. Any advice is greatly apreciated
    For DH/FR use, I like the Maxxis High Roller rear and Minion Front.

BIKES!!!!
    Mar 2004
    2.35 maxxis highrollers front and rear, the 42a duro supertackys work very well the downside is if you ride hard they wear out quickly. the 60a duro is probably the best if you want a soft tire to last, i run a 60a on the rear and a 42a on the front is a great combination. Another great tire is the 2.35 kenda nevegal stick-E, the rubber compound is similar to that of the 60a maxxis. Both tires come in a dual ply wirebead that works great for tubeless conversion. personally i dont think 2.5s are needed for anything except racing DH.

eci
    Kenda Kinetics are just like minions and hook up well

Rolling
    Maxxis tires are great tires so is the Kenda Nevagal. I also dig the Paranaracer FR 2.4 (which is really like a 2.7")

Time is not a road.
    Apparently, Kenda now does not recommend any type of sealant in their non-UST tires. I think they feel it's an issue with the sidewalls. Check out some of the tire forums on it.

That said, a Kenda DTC 2.35 or 2.5 would be great (not with sealant, of course!).

mtbr member
    WTB Wierwolf 2.5 is my fav all-around freeride / XXC (extreme cross country) type Frontrange tire.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    I am digging my WTB Timberwolf 2.7 Race front. put it on just for fun, but it really rocks. If you don't want to go that big there are also 2.3 and 2.5 versions.

In the rear, I have been impressed by my 2.35 Maxxis Hansventure single ply folding. next time I'll go for the same casing with high roller or minion R tread, probably.

Has anyone compared the Minion R with the same size and compound high roller on a trail bike? what conditions are better for each tire? I'm mostly interested in technical climbing traction.
    Bring on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Maxxis tires are great tires so is the Kenda Nevagal. I also dig the Paranaracer FR 2.4 (which is really like a 2.7")
    If the 2.4 is that big, is the Fire XC 2.1 actually closer in size to a 2.3 or 2.4?

I apreciate all the replys. Do you think it will be nessiscary to get DH tires because I am doing a gehtto tubless. The Azonic Vigilantes that I am using now have a lot of "shimmy" when I drop the pressure below 40psi. In fact they shimmyed so much I was worried I cracked my fork or broke a spoke. Will the single ply Maxxis/Kenda/WTB tires be able to handle a little lower pressure when I go to Keystone?

BIKES!!!!
    Mar 2004
    If the 2.4 is that big, is the Fire XC 2.1 actually closer in size to a 2.3 or 2.4?

I apreciate all the replys. Do you think it will be nessiscary to get DH tires because I am doing a gehtto tubless. The Azonic Vigilantes that I am using now have a lot of "shimmy" when I drop the pressure below 40psi. In fact they shimmyed so much I was worried I cracked my fork or broke a spoke. Will the single ply Maxxis/Kenda/WTB tires be able to handle a little lower pressure when I go to Keystone?
    the single plys will do fine as long as they are wire bead, kevlar bead tires work but are prone to "burping" at the lower pressure

mtbr member
    Will the single ply Maxxis/Kenda/WTB tires be able to handle a little lower pressure when I go to Keystone?
    What pressure are you thinking of, in what size tire?
    Bring on the rocks.

Don't know, I'll have to experiment a bit. I can't run any lower than 40psi on my current tires without a large amount of "shimmying". With the lower pressure I do get a little better traction, but not enough to off set the insecurity of the shimmying.

Found these on E-bay. They seem like a killer deal so I may go this route. Does Maxxis run big/small or are they rather true to their size?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1