Climb Mill Creek? + Mill Creek Conditions- Mtbr.com
    RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007

Climb Mill Creek? + Mill Creek Conditions

Saw a guy "climbing" Mill Creek today, aka pushing your bike up some real nasty trail for a couple hours. I am wondering why anyone in there right mind would want to climb Mill Creek. The guy looked like your standard Front Range competent rider (SC Blur with a Fox fork and other high end goodies) so I figured he knew what he was getting himself into...

If you want to climb single track Stout to Spring Creek or Loggers or Harrington would be a much better choice with Towers road always a great option to get some actual exercise in instead of a 2 hour hike-a-bike

And if anyone from DPMBP, Lory S.P. or Horsetooth M.P. is reading this...A trail WEEK is needed on Mill Creek ASAP. The winter did a number on the trail. I think a full redesign of Mill Creek would actually be the best/only option given the extreme erosion in addition to the numerous failed erosion control devices on the trail.

Could be a good opportunity for the No.CO mountain biking community to show the State/County parks how to build a proper trail.

If anyone knows of a work day or wants to organize one before the end of May let me know, I will be there.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Never Rode up it

But railed it DH back in '83/4.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Is it possible for a strong rider to even climb Mill Creek?

I don't even know where that is but...sounds like fun!
    The only reply to a fool is silence

what nice teeth you have
    Mill creek is a cool trail. I will put some time into it this summer if they get something organized.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I don't even know where that is but...sounds like fun!
    Its at Horsetooth Mountain Park outside of Fort Collins. Sorry about that

mtbr member
    My typical round is up Towers to Mill Creek. I only hiked Mill Creek up once (with a bike keeping me company). Once was enough...

The trail was in good shape a couple of weeks ago. What happened in between?
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    The trail was in good shape a couple of weeks ago. What happened in between?
    The trail was great last night.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    I guess nothing is different from typical Mill Creek conditions. I just consider a trail that is extremely eroded despite the frequent attempts to keep it at bay a poorly designed trail and in need of assistance.

I just don't like to see all that erosion as its probably not doing us as a user group any favors, since we always seem to get blamed for degraded trail conditions, and I feel that we could design and build a much more fun and better trail than the existing while eliminating the erosion issues among others.

And I don't want you guys to get the idea that I am whining about the condition because I can't ride it as that's not the case, I can. I simply saw a lot of issues that contribute to erosion which should be taken care of if we don't want to be riding in a 3' deep trench in a few years (already happening in a few places). I guess that wouldn't be all bad, could take the bmx bikes up and have a 3 mile long half pipe!

Nobody else has noticed this?
    Last edited by karatemonkey; 04-22-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Bodhisattva
    I've gone up Mill Creek a few times but I don't know anyone who has actually ridden it the entire way.

I agree...Mill Creek's been rutted & beat up for years. It really needs to be power graded in spots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Don't mess with Mill Creek, the rougher the better ! Squeaky, have you got soft-must be spending to much time on your Fully Rigid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by karatemonkey
    And if anyone from DPMBP, Lory S.P. or Horsetooth M.P. is reading this...A trail WEEK is needed on Mill Creek ASAP. The winter did a number on the trail. I think a full redesign of Mill Creek would actually be the best/only option given the extreme erosion in addition to the numerous failed erosion control devices on the trail.

Could be a good opportunity for the No.CO mountain biking community to show the State/County parks how to build a proper trail.

Wish it was that easy. There are some "environmental issues" that will prevent the County from doing a reroute.

Most mountain bikers on this forum will not understand your view point. Fall line, unsustainable trail can't be fun, right?

Guess they haven't ridden Free Lunch in GJ yet.

DPMBP could use more volunteers to help advocate for projects like this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    [I] 3' deep trench in a few years (already happening in a few place[/I]
    Huh? I ride this trail all the time- 3'deep trenchs? Trail has not changed much in a couple of years. And yes, it is possible for a strong climber to ride most of it, depending on conditions on any given day.

mtbr member
    The biggest change I've noticed is the lack of raspberries.

Members who have read this thread: 0