mtbr member

Chimney/ Apex Snow Ride

Was hoping to join the crew up at 3 Sisters today, but we couldn't make it in time. Decided to head up Chimney and come down Apex for a little adventure. The lower 1/2 of Chimney was awesome- packed down, but narrow- loss of focus lead to sluffing off on the side of the trail. It was surprisingly hot for a good stretch. Got to the road crossing and decided things had been so good we'd keep it going to the top. The upper stretch had much less foot traffic and we ended up doing lots of pushing and hike-a-biking. Cutting across to Apex and dropping in brought lots of the same from the top stretch- fun still, but it was really narrow, not very packed down, and... well, it started snowing like crazy . Once below Hardscrabble and back on Apex proper, it was super packed down and super fun all the way down. Nice big open carcass near the bottom of Apex just to remind us of who's out there

As we came out of the trail, there were two guys heading up on Fatbikes- said they were going to try to hit enchanted. I know they were likely to stay on top of more than we could, but I'd be surprised if Enchanted was rideable...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chimney/ Apex Snow Ride-img_3357.jpg  

Chimney/ Apex Snow Ride-img_3358.jpg  

Chimney/ Apex Snow Ride-img_3360.jpg  

Chimney/ Apex Snow Ride-img_3368.jpg  

Chimney/ Apex Snow Ride-img_3374.jpg  

Chimney/ Apex Snow Ride-img_3376.jpg  

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    gnarly shot of the carcass!

Great pics!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report!! Did you stop for some lunch in that last pic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    Thanks for the report!! Did you stop for some lunch in that last pic?
    Can't you see how big he's smiling? Nothing like a little gristle off the bone...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    As we came out of the trail, there were two guys heading up on Fatbikes- said they were going to try to hit enchanted. I know they were likely to stay on top of more than we could, but I'd be surprised if Enchanted was rideable...
    Enchanted was tricky but rideable on the fatty. Luckily the snow on the side of the trail was soft for the inevitable dismounts when decending courage outweighed actual skill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyco112 View Post
    Enchanted was tricky but rideable on the fatty.
    Nice! Happy you guys made it up there. I was definitely jealous of those big fat tires when we saw you guys.

I feel you on the courage over skill bit- I have tons of bruises on my legs today from all the times my legs went into my bars from a little sluff off the trail. Still way better than a trainer and better than the road- we had a blast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You've drawn me into mtbr! I wanted to see your shots, started up an account & now I can forum to my heart's content!

Members who have read this thread: 0