mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cherry Creek state park?

Hi all,
    I'm moving to Denver in January from the great state of Mississippi. I'm going to be living in Greenwood Village and noticed that Cherry Creek is going to be very close to my apartment. Is their any offraod ie singletrack in Cherry Creek. I went to trail central and I could not tell if the trails are bike paths or singletrack. I know it probably a tame trail compared to whats in the mountains but would be for days I could not make the drive. Also what is the best introduction to front range riding? Most of the good trails seem to be in the Golden/morrison area. I am a pretty experienced XC rider looking for some longer (20-30 mile) rides. Anything help y'all could give would be much appreciated

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave
    Also what is the best introduction to front range riding? Most of the good trails seem to be in the Golden/morrison area. I am a pretty experienced XC rider looking for some longer (20-30 mile) rides. Anything help y'all could give would be much appreciated
    Welcome to CO Discodave. If you're willing to get in the car for a bit, there's tons of great riding not too far off. For where you live, Green Mountain would be a great intro ride. It's rideable most of the year around, too. That can be connected into Dakota Ridge and Matthew Winters/Red Rocks for a pretty long XC ride that will throw at you about every kind of terrain. Outside of that, there's tons of riding all over the Front Range from CO Springs all the way up to Ft Collins. The Golden/Morrison area stuff is good, but you should also check out Deer Creek and Waterton Canyon/CO Trail down in the Chatfield Res. area for something close.

I'm not too sure about the trails around Cherry Creek Res, as it's been a long time since I've lived down that way.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, there are trails at Cherry Creek State park but you are correct, they are pretty tame. Fun for a quick fix though. The majority of the "interior" are protected wetlands so riding is not allowed but there are lots elsewhere in the park. Some are even marked with signs as "mountain biking trails".
    Jim

My cup runneth over
    The Cherry Creek trail runs down that way too which has a relatively easy dirt/rock singletrack alongside the creek. Used to be very 'thorny' though.

mtbr member
    Like others have said, there is some tame singletrack through the park. I have yet to ever see anyone ride it that did not get a flat. Goatheads are everywhere out there. Not even worth it IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Like others have said, there is some tame singletrack through the park. I have yet to ever see anyone ride it that did not get a flat. Goatheads are everywhere out there. Not even worth it IMO.

Haha! That Cherry Creek trail was the first singletrack I ever rode, it was back in 1989 or 1990, it was pretty sweet back then (not really), I've never been back but I have good memories

Addicted
    Welcome discodave! We have all types of fun riding...but in January you are going to have only a few choices. Luckily, they are all good for training to get you into shape (thin air training). Check out Green Mountain, Bear Creek Lake or South Valley Park (they are all just shy of the foothills), are usually clear most of the winter, and while not tremendously challenging, will help ease you into the spring riding. If you follow the link in my sig you can get a taste of all the fine trails that will be at your disposal in 2006. If you are a rider, you won't be disappointed here!

Members who have read this thread: 0