Results 1 to 61 of 61
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,311

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! A campaign for *** NEW TRAILS *** '09

    Help ME, help YOU, help US.

    I am looking to become President of the Colorado Mountain Bike Association, and I need your help. If you ride Buffalo Creek, Coal Creek Canyon, or anywhere in between, please read my vision statement (may wanna get yourself a cup of coffee first ) and if you agree with my direction, please follow the advice at the end of this post. Let’s do something worthwhile—together—for the benefit and betterment of this sport and our trails. Thank you in advance.

    Here's the 30 second elevator pitch: my goal is to re-invent COMBA as a proactive, progressive MTB advocacy group, engaging volunteers (and raising funds) to build new trail. "New trail" is good, for many reasons, but it takes an orchestrated movement (just ask BMA).

    Voting for the 2009 Board of Directors starts later today, and in recent weeks I have sought to recruit many talented people to help with this mission; I'm asking for your help to get them elected so that we can begin with a fresh start for the New Year.

    HOW TO HELP?

    1) Join COMBA today. For less than half the cost of even a half-day lift ticket, your support—both now and in coming months—really can make a difference.

    2) Contact me after joining to ensure that the voting procedure is sent to you (members only).

    3) Vote for the following candidates:

    • Michelle Beckman (TVC15)
    • Jason Bertolacci (jasonb)
    • Joe Hanrahan (flowtron)
    • Kyle Henley (Reporterkyle)
    • Adam Williams
    • Nate Wyant (wyantn)


    I've had productive conversations with athalliah, moosehead, IndecentExposure, Rontele, rockymtnway, casey, and others excited about getting involved. It is going to take a bunch of us to get this done and I need your help. I'm well aware of the negative feelings shared by some here regarding COMBA; I'm stepping up to help improve the organization (and its reputation), as well as to make sure everyone knows the *good* things we do and have done, going forward.

    To clarify: per the current established bylaws, I have already been granted a seat on the '09 BoD (officers to be determined January 1). And I'm pleased to announce that Anthony Sloan (anthonys) has also been appointed, the two of us joining Paul Murphy. So that leaves 6 vacant seats and 8 candidates. Please know, I have nothing against the other 2 candidates, but I do know that the above 6 candidates share my vision and are looking to help make COMBA relevant in '09 and beyond.

    Won't you join us?

  2. #2
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,258
    When does the voting end? (cashflow issue until the end of the month).

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  3. #3
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,895
    Just one suggestion. Have you considered a name change to more accurately reflect the Jefferson county focus of COMBA? Perhaps people would be more likely to give time or money to an organization focused on the trails they ride most.

    P.S. I got 90% of the way through your vision statement before I ran out of coffee. Please forgive me if this idea was mentioned in the last 10%.

  4. #4
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,813
    Terry,

    I was skeptical until reading your web page.
    Couldn't agree with you more on eliminating "design by committee". I've found it to be one of the most unproductive forms of project management ever invented. Put some take charge people into PM positions and watch your projects take off. Best of luck.

    UT

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,311

    sell a tire?

    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    When does the voting end? (cashflow issue until the end of the month).
    voting will end december 30.

    dig deep, young jedi, the rebellion needs you.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,311
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    Put some take charge people into PM positions and watch your projects take off. Best of luck.
    thank you. indeed, i think i've found (some of) those people. looking for some momentum... success breeds success.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Have you considered a name change to more accurately reflect the Jefferson county focus of COMBA?
    yes. in retrospect, it was a misguided, but well-intentioned name change which i supported. deferring to the expertise of IMBA, on-the-ground-advocacy works best at a local level (not statewide). while we had no illusions of grandeur for the immediate future, we had hoped to someday "grow into" something bigger. that approach will continue to be re-evaluated, i'm sure. in the short-term, however, we're going to focus on more important matters and use the existing "brand".

    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    I got 90% of the way through your vision statement before I ran out of coffee.
    indeed, a goal for me in '09 is brevity.
    i'll venture to guess you got farther than most.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  7. #7
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    Won't you join us?
    I'd love to ... but as a current member who has yet to receive her ballot instructions, I can't yet. Is there an email (or better yet, phone number) available so we can contact the responsible party to get this ball rolling? For some reason, COMBA's website does not provide any Contact information, which is highly unusual. Perhaps that can and should be updated? Uh, quickly?!

    Many sincere thanks Terry, and good luck.

  8. #8
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488

    ... and if we just ... ¡viva la revolucion!

    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    the rebellion needs you
    I'm thinking we're gonna need tee-shirts ...


  9. #9
    Moosehead
    Reputation: moosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,902

    There Is a Santa Claus

    Halleluiah. Thanks for your efforts and hard work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Pivot Rider
    Reputation: Yetigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,088

    Got my ballot

    and VOTED! I look forward to working with a "new" CoMBA that will be the posterchild for mtn bike advocacy groups... Good Luck all!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

  11. #11
    formerly shabadu
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    961
    I encourage my gravity riding brethren to join COMBA and vote. If we want a strong voice with JeffCO, now is the time.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    I am happy to report that any issues with the voting have been resolved. Vote early and encourage your friends and riding partners to do the same.

    Here is my plug, I have worked closely with Terry and Jason in the last year. In the process, I have gotten to know them both on a professional and personal level. It is of my strongest conviction that you will not find two more passionate mountain bikers in the Front Range. I think Terry's "Vision Statement" clearly shows this. In turn, Terry and Jason have recruited a group of like minded individuals (including friends of mine--Joe Hanrahan and Adam Williams) to jump start and reinvigorate CoMBA.

    I think this group can really do wonders for mountain bikers in the greater metro Denver area. Please support them with your membership and vote.

    Regards,

    David Rontal
    General Counsel, Colorado Mountain Bike Association

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    [QUOTE=Moustache rider]Just one suggestion. Have you considered a name change to more accurately reflect the Jefferson county focus of COMBA?

    I agree 100%. If your alliance only serves Jeff Co, why is it called "Colorado" Mountain Bike Assocation? I think this incorrectly implies where the donated funds and advocacy from this group will be focused. If, as president, you will be implementing a new vision for everything else, why not change the club name as well?

    Also, you speak heaps about building new trails as ways to decrease conflict. While we all love new trails, I still think you should focus on public education. I believe working with (or perhaps joining) the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol to expand the patrol areas would be valuable.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    [QUOTE=j0yr1de]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Just one suggestion. Have you considered a name change to more accurately reflect the Jefferson county focus of COMBA?

    I agree 100%. If your alliance only serves Jeff Co, why is it called "Colorado" Mountain Bike Assocation? I think this incorrectly implies where the donated funds and advocacy from this group will be focused. If, as president, you will be implementing a new vision for everything else, why not change the club name as well?

    Also, you speak heaps about building new trails as ways to decrease conflict. While we all love new trails, I still think you should focus on public education. I believe working with (or perhaps joining) the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol to expand the patrol areas would be valuable.
    Let me take a stab at this one. I agree to some extent that the use of Colorado Mountain Bike Association may be a misnomer. However, the name has been in place for sometime now and changing it may result in a loss of "brand" and "name recognition." There are numerous parties who we currently and have worked with that know us as the Colorado Mountain Bike Association. Changing the name now would devalue much fo the branding we have worked to achieve.

    Your point is valid and believe me has been the source of thorough discussion.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    I'm actually quite psyched by the fact that you want to take this association in a new direction. I'd love to see new trails and a louder voice for mountain biking in Jeff Co.

    Putting the club name aside, I'm still interested in hearing more about what you think about the user conflicts on the Jeff Co trails. I've heard stories from people all over the state about how bad the conficts are in this county. Since the bike patrol is in a limited area, don't you think helping to expand their efforts would be beneficial in addition to new trails?

    Basically, I'm fishing for information here because I'd like to join and vote, but I want to make sure the vision of the president includes more than getting lots of new members and cutting trail. I'd like to see that there is foresight into thoughtful trail additions and maintainence, reduction in conflicts through education, advocacy for the environment and association with IMBA (or infomation exchange with BMA which has successfully increased bike patrol areas and built new trails).

  16. #16
    Moosehead
    Reputation: moosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,902

    please join comba, read GD's post, vote for new BOD

    bump
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,311
    welcome to the forum, j0yr1de.
    Quote Originally Posted by j0yr1de
    Since the bike patrol is in a limited area, don't you think helping to expand their efforts would be beneficial in addition to new trails?
    . . .
    I'd like to see that there is foresight into thoughtful trail additions and maintainence, reduction in conflicts through education, advocacy for the environment and association with IMBA (or infomation exchange with BMA which has successfully increased bike patrol areas and built new trails).
    good points, all.

    the idea of a bike patrol has come up before, including this summer after the yielding/ticketing issue surfaced. generally it is voted down for two reasons: 1) it takes manpower, and we've traditionally had a hard time getting people to volunteer to do anything. 2) there is a perception that patrol=policing, and nobody wants to police their own and be the bad guy. that, of course, doesn't have to be the case, as BMA and FRMBP have very successful patrol programs. 3) JCOS has their own bike patrol (though i've never seen them on the trail).

    yes, education is key, and was driven home for me only a few weeks ago, when a friend who isn't from here, but has lived here a while, admitted that she didn't know the rules of the trail and what was expected of her when she first moved here. it's easy to assume that the guy/gal who rides around you, off-trail, while you're climbing is just being a jerk, but frankly, as my friend reminded me, it could very well be that they aren't aware. that is one reason why i'm looking to really engage the LBSs, because that is a perfect opportunity, in my opinion, for a "teachable moment" in a non-confrontational manner. a salesperson could easily work in a line or two about yielding after they've closed a sale, and it would be heard more openly, i suspect, than having someone stop you on the trail after you've committed an infraction.

    2009 will see our partnership w/ IMBA stronger than ever before, for a few reasons. one, in the past IMBA was more of the mindset that they were the international organizing body, and kept a fairly "hands-off" approach to particular clubs. in recent years that attitude has changed, and in fact in the early part of '09 they will be rolling out an "affiliate program" (more on that later). secondly, i've personally established a solid rapport w/ the folks up in boulder (IMBA HQ), but more importantly, mr. bertolacci has even more direct ties w/ that office.

    hope that helps.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    313
    I voted today- I am stoked-- I was planning on getting involved this year and now more then ever am motivated and excited about the future.

    This is good stuff-- also -- after reading Terry's blog my last Green Mountian bike park post seems silly-- I guess we were all thinking alike though

    STOKED

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    I am happy to report that any issues with the voting have been resolved.
    er, that may not be entirely true just yet ()... if you have not been able to vote yet, please feel free to contact me.

    (thanks for your support, david)

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: otter68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    20
    I'm in - good luck!

    Tim
    2003 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

  21. #21
    hehe ...you said "member"
    Reputation: jake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,121
    I'm on board - waiting for my ballot.
    Good luck, Terry, and thanks for your time and effort
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

  22. #22
    Moosehead
    Reputation: moosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,902

    On-Line Comba Voting Procedure

    Note to get to the ballot from the Comba website http://www.comba.org/, that you must first login on the upper right Election area, and then to get to the ballot form, you must click directly onto your email address itself.

    If you just click a check mark into the box adjacent to your email address, it won't open up the ballot.

    Sorry for the redundant post - I'm slower than most. Just wanted to make sure everyone got their vote in.

    Thanks and Merry Christmas!

  23. #23
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Note to get to the ballot from the Comba website http://www.comba.org/, that you must first login on the upper right Election area, and then to get to the ballot form, you must click directly onto your email address itself.

    If you just click a check mark into the box adjacent to your email address, it won't open up the ballot.

    Sorry for the redundant post - I'm slower than most. Just wanted to make sure everyone got their vote in.

    Thanks and Merry Christmas!
    Thanks moosehead, but now I'm getting this error message. Any advice where to go next?

    Your username reminder failed because a User with the specified e-mail address could not be found.

    Gotdirt, this is beyond ridiculous. This voting procedure is a mess. I'm a member since COMBA's inception and cannot vote. Will you please post a phone number or email address of whoever is currently handling the voting procedures, so that we -- paid members -- can contact him or her, bring these glaring problems to their attention, and simply get online and vote?! Again, COMBA's website provides zero contact information. Why? Good lord, I hope a complete overhaul of the COMBA website is one of the first matters of business in '09.

    Sorry for the rant, but the lack of communciation and poor process surrounding such an important procedure is simply inexcusable, and needs to be fixed immediately.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,972
    I'm joining. I just want to say that we better develop some good relationships with the people/powers who can make the decisions that impact mountain biking here. It is all about who you know, right!

  25. #25
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    Sorry for the rant, but the lack of communciation and poor process surrounding such an important procedure is simply inexcusable, and needs to be fixed immediately.
    Websites and Membership Systems (which I do not think CoMBA has) are very daunting tasks, especially for people who have regular day jobs and are not paid. However, I do agree that proper planning should have been done way before this process started. I doubt it ever was discussed until the last second. No need to blame the Web guy for it.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reporterkyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    Thanks moosehead, but now I'm getting this error message. Any advice where to go next?

    Your username reminder failed because a User with the specified e-mail address could not be found.

    Gotdirt, this is beyond ridiculous. This voting procedure is a mess. I'm a member since COMBA's inception and cannot vote. Will you please post a phone number or email address of whoever is currently handling the voting procedures, so that we -- paid members -- can contact him or her, bring these glaring problems to their attention, and simply get online and vote?! Again, COMBA's website provides zero contact information. Why? Good lord, I hope a complete overhaul of the COMBA website is one of the first matters of business in '09.

    Sorry for the rant, but the lack of communciation and poor process surrounding such an important procedure is simply inexcusable, and needs to be fixed immediately.
    I know several people that are having the same problem. This was Terry's recommendation to to me:

    if you still haven't rec'd an email w/ your password to vote—and you wish to submit your vote before the holidays— and you're sure you're a member, please send your vote, via email, to bod@comba.org (subject: VOTE) and be sure to include your name in the message and make it clear for whom you are voting.


    Choose no more than 6 of the following 8 candidates:


    Michelle Beckman
    Jason Bertolacci
    Joe Hanrahan
    Kyle Henley
    Adam Williams
    Nate Wyant
    Dave Slowey
    Christine Smith

    deadline is december 30.

  27. #27
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    I know several people that are having the same problem. This was Terry's recommendation to to me:

    if you still haven't rec'd an email w/ your password to vote—and you wish to submit your vote before the holidays— and you're sure you're a member, please send your vote, via email, to bod@comba.org (subject: VOTE) and be sure to include your name in the message and make it clear for whom you are voting.


    Choose no more than 6 of the following 8 candidates:


    Michelle Beckman
    Jason Bertolacci
    Joe Hanrahan
    Kyle Henley
    Adam Williams
    Nate Wyant
    Dave Slowey
    Christine Smith

    deadline is december 30.
    GREAT IDEA! Thank you!!!!!!!!

    Done and done. And done.

  28. #28
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    I know several people that are having the same problem. This was Terry's recommendation to to me:

    if you still haven't rec'd an email w/ your password to vote—and you wish to submit your vote before the holidays— and you're sure you're a member, please send your vote, via email, to bod@comba.org (subject: VOTE) and be sure to include your name in the message and make it clear for whom you are voting.


    Choose no more than 6 of the following 8 candidates:


    Michelle Beckman
    Jason Bertolacci
    Joe Hanrahan
    Kyle Henley
    Adam Williams
    Nate Wyant
    Dave Slowey
    Christine Smith

    deadline is december 30.
    Oh, that's a real safe and secure way to vote. Does anyone realize how easy it is to spoof an email address? What will happen when two from the same individual come in and have two different votes? Not good.

    Voting needs to be done AT a meeting with the membership in attendance.

  29. #29
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Oh, that's a real safe and secure way to vote. Does anyone realize how easy it is to spoof an email address? What will happen when two from the same individual come in and have two different votes? Not good.
    Well I imagine these emails could be cross-checked against member records for verification, so just be sure to include your member address information. Problem solved. Here's what I sent:

    +++++++++++++++++++++

    Dear COMBA Board of Directors:

    I have still not received an email with my password to vote, and want to submit my vote before the holidays. Here is who I am voting for:

    Michelle Beckman
    Jason Bertolacci
    Joe Hanrahan
    Kyle Henley
    Adam Williams
    Nate Wyant


    Thank you. NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER.

  30. #30
    Now with 20% more fat!!
    Reputation: JSD303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,031
    Yeah, I'm sure the hacker element are totally trying to sway the COMBA vote by spoofing email addresses. I personally voted for Terry like 600x... 599 of them were spoofs of schnauzer's email address! This isn't Florida, and I doubt anyone is trying to steal the election.

    I voted via the email method listed above because I never received the voting instructions etc.

  31. #31
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    This isn't Florida, and I doubt anyone is trying to steal the election..
    Nope, just trying our damndest to get the thing started. Before the deadline ends.

    Sorry, couldn't resist.

    [/rantoff]

  32. #32
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Oh, that's a real safe and secure way to vote. Does anyone realize how easy it is to spoof an email address? What will happen when two from the same individual come in and have two different votes? Not good.

    Voting needs to be done AT a meeting with the membership in attendance.
    I agree with your point. However, CoMBA knew that this was coming, it isn't like this is a surprise election. They should have been prepared. This vote is ill-timed, and having a meeting to vote now with little to no notice, would be damned near impossible. Michelle does offer an alternative, which, while time-consuming for those tallying and not ideal, is probably the best opportunity we have now to actually making a change from this banana republic rule by which CoMBA is currently governed.

    And this is why someone needs to maintain a database of the active and inactive CoMBA members. I've been a member of CoMBA for two years. In that time, CoMBA has failed to send receipt of membership for the dues I have paid. Furthermore, they have never sent me notice that my membership has expired and needs to be renewed for the current year. How do they expect a reliable stream of revenue when they fail to tap into former members/donors? CoMBA has eschewed them and in turn, alienated a community. It's easy to feel that mtbr forum participants are a bunch of whiners behind a keyboard when you do nothing to solicit or inform them. CoMBA created a disenfranchised and apathetic community by not capitalizing on the momentum of the public forums past. You don't make your board meetings public, which, I'm fairly certain and correct me if I'm wrong, violates something in your 501(c) status. An individual cannot be expected to support something they do not know or understand.

    Communication is paramount in any relationship and the grievous lack of elucidation is CoMBA's biggest failing as an organization. We need change, we need it now, and the only way to enact it is to vote for a new BoD. Let's make CoMBA the great organization we know it can be. Vote.

  33. #33
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    I agree with your point. However, CoMBA knew that this was coming, it isn't like this is a surprise election. They should have been prepared. This vote is ill-timed, and having a meeting to vote now with little to no notice, would be damned near impossible. Michelle does offer an alternative, which, while time-consuming for those tallying and not ideal, is probably the best opportunity we have now to actually making a change from this banana republic rule by which CoMBA is currently governed.

    And this is why someone needs to maintain a database of the active and inactive CoMBA members. I've been a member of CoMBA for two years. In that time, CoMBA has failed to send receipt of membership for the dues I have paid. Furthermore, they have never sent me notice that my membership has expired and needs to be renewed for the current year. How do they expect a reliable stream of revenue when they fail to tap into former members/donors? CoMBA has eschewed them and in turn, alienated a community. It's easy to feel that mtbr forum participants are a bunch of whiners behind a keyboard when you do nothing to solicit or inform them. CoMBA created a disenfranchised and apathetic community by not capitalizing on the momentum of the public forums past. You don't make your board meetings public, which, I'm fairly certain and correct me if I'm wrong, violates something in your 501(c) status. An individual cannot be expected to support something they do not know or understand.

    Communication is paramount in any relationship and the grievous lack of elucidation is CoMBA's biggest failing as an organization. We need change, we need it now, and the only way to enact it is to vote for a new BoD. Let's make CoMBA the great organization we know it can be. Vote.
    Wow! I'm actually agreeing with you. Every word.

    It's still a tough job, though. I personally, have not been able to keep up with the TE Website. I suspect CoMBA BoD will have similar problems. The trouble is everyone "wants", but not enough want to "do". It takes more than one person to maintain a Website, send emails, and maintaining a decent membership DB system is even harder (ask Jason - that's his job).

    I haven't found a volunteer organization yet that has effectively solved this problem without full-time paid staff. Hope for the best.

  34. #34
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Yeah, I'm sure the hacker element are totally trying to sway the COMBA vote by spoofing email addresses. I personally voted for Terry like 600x... 599 of them were spoofs of schnauzer's email address! This isn't Florida, and I doubt anyone is trying to steal the election.

    I voted via the email method listed above because I never received the voting instructions etc.

    Cool!

    Just saying because legally it's not up to snuff in a 501c3 unless it's in the Bylaws that way. Some of these people are new (will be new) to Board(dom) (ha ha). Being a Board member means that you have a responsibility. It is a corporation.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,311
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    and maintaining a decent membership DB system is even harder (ask Jason - that's his job). . . .I haven't found a volunteer organization yet that has effectively solved this problem without full-time paid staff. Hope for the best.
    just to clarify:
    1) jason isn't in charge of a membership DB for COMBA
    B) we have a solution for this for next year

    . . .

    athalliah, you're preachin' to the choir!! and i, also, agree (wait, now i'm agreeging w/ schnauzers?? ) w/ your points above.

    one point i'd like to clarify from your post is that our BoD meetings *are* open to the public, though of course there was never any notice sent to membership as such. i am hoping we'll have to book a bigger room next year to accommodate all of the folks interested in attending our monthly meetings.

    P.S.
    spoofed email addresses or not, all votes rec'd via email will be checked by name against the roster.

  36. #36
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    just to clarify:
    1) jason isn't in charge of a membership DB for COMBA
    B) we have a solution for this for next year
    My bad. I meant it was his occupation and not necessarily for CoMBA. He does it for TE. And, does a great job for what he has to work with I might add. I think he may even do it for IMBA .

    A solution is good as long as the solution is used and there is someone to maintain it.

    Words of wisdom learned first hand (more than once).

  37. #37
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    spoofed email addresses or not, all votes rec'd via email will be checked by name against the roster.
    Given the lack of oversight and attention given to the voting process thus far, it might unfortunately be necessary for the BOD to carefully scruitinize the active roster, to ensure that all votes -- including new members' votes! -- are counted in this election.

    It would be a shame to require members who voted via email to produce their paypal receipt to "prove" their status as a member, but whatever's required, the BOD -- as a whole -- needs to do it, and make absolutely sure these election results have integrity.

    Thanks again Terry for your hard work, and infinite patience.

  38. #38
    formerly shabadu
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    961
    Soo schauzers, are you joining and voting?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: otter68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    20
    Got the email, voted, got the confirmation.

    YES WE CAN!
    2003 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

  40. #40
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    but whatever's required, the BOD -- as a whole -- needs to do it, and make absolutely sure these election results have integrity.
    ... to that end, and given the serious problems seen in the administration of this election thus far, I sent the request shown below to COMBA's Board of Directors. I think this request is reasonable and necessary, and believe COMBA members would agree.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++

    Dear COMBA BOD: I suggest that a Canvas Board be convened within a week of the election to certify the following:

    A) the Eligible Voter List, which will be comprised of all actual COMBA members, including all active members as of midnight 12/30/08,
    B) to verify that ballots were sent out to all eligible voters; and,
    C) to match ballots received against the Eligible Voter List, ensuring no more than 1 ballot per member was cast.

    A Canvas Board typically consists of at least one non-candidate board member who has no conflicts (i.e, endorsing/nominating candidates currently running on the ballot), and at least 1 member of the electorate.

    Convening a Canvas Board in this case in my mind is particularly important, because standard election procedure assures that a vote count can be observed by the general public on election day; however, given the methods COMBA is currently using in its election, that is not possible. Therefore, COMBA's Canvas Board meeting should be open to the entire electorate.

    Thanks again sincerely for your attention to these important and standard procedures that ensure both transparency and electoral integrity.

  41. #41
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    Soo schauzers, are you joining and voting?
    I have been a member. I let it lapse because of the lack of action and frankly I was already participating with three other groups (FRMBP, Trailblazers, and Team Evergreen). There really wasn't too much more time for anything else. However, I am willing to give it a third chance, so I renewed the membership. But, before I vote...

    What makes anyone think they can do better? A good number of the people running for the BoD have served on CoMBA's board. So, the opportunity was there in the past to actually do something. Many have never even been "involved" before they ran into trouble. Just serving on the BoD does not automatically guarantee that the organization is going to be effective. It takes bodies. Hard working, organized, and "open minded" bodies. IT takes hard work and a lot of TIME. Do these people think they have that? I'm not picking on any person in general, but I know of at least one who is already stretched thin with organizations. Add family and down time into it and one needs to think real hard. Add having to deal with a$$hats like me (and there is more than one of us), who will get under your skin without making yourself look like an a$$hat as well (quite a few here). Are you willing to make the commitment to trail work along with "honor and dignity" of serving on a BoD? This summer, when it's 80F, crystal blue sky, perfect trail conditions, and a Saturday, are you willing to dedicate yourself to five or more hours of trail work instead of riding? I'm not saying you have to be at every one of them, but you will need to "walk the talk". No, bringing a keg to the work and dispensing beer does not count. Bringing your camera and taking pictures of others doing the work and never putting on a pair of gloves, does not count. Picking up a tool and putting your back into it counts. Keeping close ties with the land managers counts. Coming up with ways to get people out for "maintenance" as well as new trails counts. These things get noticed and I will always point it out. Remember, I am part of some of those "other" groups you hope to be working closely with.

    Yeah, I'm one vote and it won't make a hill of beans difference who I vote for. Why? Well, for one thing is that I have been on CoMBA's email list since I moved here and the only way I even knew there was a BoD election was because I read this board. And still, I do not know who the "other" candidates are. But, are you sure you want my membership and my vote? I can be one of your best constituents, but I can also be a mean old M-F'er.

    Regardless of my association with any group in any place I have ever lived, I am always an advocate for what I believe in. Mountain Biking is one of those things.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2

    done

    done and done T.

    Lets see it happen baby

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,280
    Gotdirt,

    What and where do you think new trails can happen in Jeffco?

    Erik

  44. #44
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    Gotdirt,

    What and where do you think new trails can happen in Jeffco?

    Erik
    He said it in his vision plan. Remember, Buffalo Creek is in Jefferson County (well, a nice chunk of it).

    Also, not can happen. Has happened and is happening. Again, let's show some love to FRMBP and Team Evergreen Trailblazers for the new trails that have been added to Jefferson County.

    Ultimately, I'd like to see some stuff added to "Front Range" stuff, but I won't hold my breath. However, Centennial Cone can be classified as new trails. Don't forget that.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    He said it in his vision plan. Remember, Buffalo Creek is in Jefferson County (well, a nice chunk of it).

    Also, not can happen. Has happened and is happening. Again, let's show some love to FRMBP and Team Evergreen Trailblazers for the new trails that have been added to Jefferson County.

    Ultimately, I'd like to see some stuff added to "Front Range" stuff, but I won't hold my breath. However, Centennial Cone can be classified as new trails. Don't forget that.
    Very true on centennial cone. I always forget BC is in Jeffco.

    Erik

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,258
    I second the fact that the website needs some work. There's just very little information on it, and doesn't look like it gets updated all that frequently. If the powers that be at COMBA in the future desire a new website, complete with forums, an event calendar, user registration, photo gallery, bulletin board, etc, I'd be happy to donate some time on this front. I could help you guys set up an easy CMS that anyone could update easily with a simple management interface. There's many out of the box free solutions that can be custom tailored to your organization. With a bit of creative coding, these can look pretty professional. Look at how successful mtbr is, and it's only a very basic vbulletin shell with the basic design. Once in place, it would require very little maintenance from any web programmer. Anyone with basic computer skills would be able to update it and manage it. All you need is a webhost with an sql server.

  47. #47
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    I second the fact that the website needs some work. There's just very little information on it, and doesn't look like it gets updated all that frequently. If the powers that be at COMBA in the future desire a new website, complete with forums, an event calendar, user registration, photo gallery, bulletin board, etc, I'd be happy to donate some time on this front. I could help you guys set up an easy CMS that anyone could update easily with a simple management interface. There's many out of the box free solutions that can be custom tailored to your organization. With a bit of creative coding, these can look pretty professional. Look at how successful mtbr is, and it's only a very basic vbulletin shell with the basic design. Once in place, it would require very little maintenance from any web programmer. Anyone with basic computer skills would be able to update it and manage it. All you need is a webhost with an sql server.
    It's not that easy. It still needs to be updated and this is not a job for one volunteer. I know because I do Team Evergreen's Website. It may look cleaner, but that is it. Keep in mind it's using the same software (Joomla) that CoMBA is using. The content rarely gets updated and that's because it's not my job to provide content. I suppose it is the same at CoMBA. I also hope they don't expect Kyle to do it all himself. It will get old VERY fast.

  48. #48
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FunkMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    137
    Since I met Michelle and Terry on the Anvil compound (only good people are invited inside the walls of the compound) I would like to do what I can to support their cause.

    Paid my $20, E-mailed Terry, Sent my vote to BOD@comba (but messed up the subject line). Waiting for my ballot.

    Good luck...

    Elroy - Anvil Bikeworks

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    It's not that easy. It still needs to be updated and this is not a job for one volunteer. I know because I do Team Evergreen's Website. It may look cleaner, but that is it. Keep in mind it's using the same software (Joomla) that CoMBA is using. The content rarely gets updated and that's because it's not my job to provide content. I suppose it is the same at CoMBA. I also hope they don't expect Kyle to do it all himself. It will get old VERY fast.
    Actually it would be really easy to improve the website. I'm not talking about keeping it up to date, because like you said, that wouldn't be my job. What I am saying is that it would be incredibly easy to improve the existing website, while offering better navigation, and improved content. Once finished, it would also be extremely easy to update without any coding (just post a picture, write what you want, click submit, etc). I was only offering assistance should it be desired. I don't know what you're trying to say by telling me what I could do and not do easily. I was also offerring services completely free and volunteering my own time, so not sure what's bugging you about my offer.

  51. #51
    Pivot Rider
    Reputation: Yetigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Once finished, it would also be extremely easy to update without any coding (just post a picture, write what you want, click submit, etc). I was only offering assistance should it be desired.
    I'm sure that there are several of us who could offer our assistance to Kyle with webpage updates should he need it. I do my own web updates all the time and it wouldn't be a biggy to add the CoMBA stuff to what I do... Of course, its up to CoMBA to decide if they will take you up on your offer, BaeckerX1 -- but, I agree, the website needs a bit of work.
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

  52. #52
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Actually it would be really easy to improve the website. I'm not talking about keeping it up to date, because like you said, that wouldn't be my job. What I am saying is that it would be incredibly easy to improve the existing website, while offering better navigation, and improved content. Once finished, it would also be extremely easy to update without any coding (just post a picture, write what you want, click submit, etc). I was only offering assistance should it be desired. I don't know what you're trying to say by telling me what I could do and not do easily. I was also offerring services completely free and volunteering my own time, so not sure what's bugging you about my offer.

    Actually, what I meant is that I am the defacto Webmaster for Team Evergreen (www.teamevergreen.org). The software that runs the TE site is the same as the CoMBA site, yet functionally and aesthetically improved. I am not saying it is hard to do the same for the CoMBA site. It's not at all, I AM saying that once it is done, there's very little interest from the community to keep it up to date. A pretty face and no brains is not always a great thing (well, Bimbos and Manbos may be the exception). Everyone will say cool Website. Then you will teach them how to add their own content. Once they have to do it themselves, you'll never see it change. I have been there before.

    Or, it could be worse. They'll want more cool things that have to be maintained (like membership systems). Been there as well.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Actually, what I meant is that I am the defacto Webmaster for Team Evergreen (www.teamevergreen.org). The software that runs the TE site is the same as the CoMBA site, yet functionally and aesthetically improved. I am not saying it is hard to do the same for the CoMBA site. It's not at all, I AM saying that once it is done, there's very little interest from the community to keep it up to date. A pretty face and no brains is not always a great thing (well, Bimbos and Manbos may be the exception). Everyone will say cool Website. Then you will teach them how to add their own content. Once they have to do it themselves, you'll never see it change. I have been there before.

    Or, it could be worse. They'll want more cool things that have to be maintained (like membership systems). Been there as well.
    I understand what you're saying in that regard. It is true that a site is only as good as the people who post information and keep the content up to date. However, it is very easy to implement a system where users can submit their own news items, complete with pictures etc, and it goes into the admin panel where a moderator can review it and approve or decline it. So if you did it right, and the jeffco community was interested enough, then it would work to great success. You'd still be able to moderate any posting and only approve the ones you want (like user submitted photos of a trail build or COMBA event). The only downside is the occasional spammer, but you can put things like captchas and stuff to prevent the bots.

    I think an organization website can be so much more than just a informational site with a few tidbits about the organization and a place to collect money for memberships. Imagine a community site where users can share their experiences about the local trails, share photos of the trails, get easy directions to all the trailheads, find maps of all the trails in one place, share their opinions of how COMBA is doing and ideas for future projects, etc. I think that user interaction is always key, but you have to facilitate that interaction through some means. A fully functional community website is just another means to solicit feedback from the biking community and stay in touch with the riders.

    BTW, I think you've done a solid job on the TE website. Good work.

    In any case I don't want to derail this thread any further with discussions of web stuff, so I'll leave it at that. Hopefully the elections go well and COMBA can be the organization everyone wants it to be.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 12-30-2008 at 02:46 PM.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,311

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkMaster
    Since I met Michelle and Terry on the Anvil compound (only good people are invited inside the walls of the compound) I would like to do what I can to support their cause.
    grazi.


    ...though in retrospect, upon entering the compound, i think the waterboarding initiation was a bit over-the-top.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  55. #55
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkMaster
    Since I met Michelle and Terry on the Anvil compound (only good people are invited inside the walls of the compound) I would like to do what I can to support their cause.

    Paid my $20, E-mailed Terry, Sent my vote to BOD@comba (but messed up the subject line). Waiting for my ballot.

    Good luck...

    Elroy - Anvil Bikeworks
    Sweet! Thanks! And Hola! So cool to know who's who in here.

    You know, if we pull this thing off we really need to plan a happy hour in January.

    Thanks to everybody for their insights, comments, support, involvement, and most of all ... hope. I am so stinking excited for 2009.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,311

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Yes We Did

    Quote Originally Posted by otter68
    YES WE CAN!
    i'm very pleased to announce the 2009 COMBA board of directors:

    Terry Breheny
    Anthony Sloan
    Kyle Henley
    Joe Hanrahan
    Adam Williams
    Michelle Beckman
    Jason Bertolacci
    Nathan Wyant
    Paul Murphy


    thank you, all, for your support; even for those who voted otherwise, the dialogue is worthwhile and will be helpful as we look to reinvent COMBA to better represent mountain biker interests along the front range.

    let the work begin.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  57. #57
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    let the work begin.
    And the celebration. I have more than a few beers to buy.



    Hmm.... where and when?!?! Any ideas???

  58. #58
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    And the celebration. I have more than a few beers to buy.



    Hmm.... where and when?!?! Any ideas???
    I have one but they don't serve Budweiser.

  59. #59
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    I have one but they don't serve Budweiser.
    As long as it's open after 6pm ... or we can plan this shin dig on a weekend, it's all good by me!

    Oh, but -- chairs -- we'll need lots and lots of chairs.

  60. #60
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    As long as it's open after 6pm ... or we can plan this shin dig on a weekend, it's all good by me!

    Oh, but -- chairs -- we'll need lots and lots of chairs.
    And perhaps we should like, ride bikes and stuff.

    (please not Jan 10th or 11th)

    Should we set up a poll? I'll volunteer to initiate the thread.

  61. #61
    MFin' Princess
    Reputation: TVC15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    And perhaps we should like, ride bikes and stuff.

    (please not Jan 10th or 11th)

    Should we set up a poll? I'll volunteer to initiate the thread.
    I see absolutely no reason not to. Great idea! Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.