Calling Chicks...or even Guys to Ride Keystone- Mtbr.com

Jan 2008

Calling Chicks...or even Guys to Ride Keystone

Friday morning I'm going to head up to Keystone for some XC mtb action. My cycling team is mostly roadies and the few mtbrs are busy rock climbing or chose to ride their road bikes this weekend >

I want to spend a few solid hours on Keystone's trails, blues and greens, and would rather not ride solo. Do any chicks, or even guys (who won't drop me like a bad habit) like to join me? I'd even be happy to share the ride up. When I race mtb I am at the bottom end of the expert class, hopefully that'll give you an idea of the pace/skill level I'm at.

-Kim

Thread Terrorist
    Swimmer:
    I hope you're not thinking about riding UP the trails at Keystone. Most of the greens were shut down, and Jackstraw road is also shut down except for certain spot for DH riders. Unless you're talking about 'riding up the chair', I'd stay away.

There are some stellar rides that start from Keystone and truck back to the West Ridge area. Great for xc type stuff. But unless you want to get run over by Construction equipement and DH riders, it'd be better (and more peaceful) to head somewhere else (copper, Breckinridge, summit county trails, etc.)

Jan 2008
    Are you kidding me???!!
    A couple years ago I just drove up with a friend and rode the trails up and down...and that includes riding up the greens. Did this change like W.P.? Fill me in please.

Thread Terrorist
    Just checked the Schedule. Looks like all greens are open except Boy Scouts and Ride on. Sleepy Hollow was closed I thought yesterday, but it appears to have opened up according to the schedule.

With the exception of Jackstraw road, looks like you're good to go. Sorry for the alarm. Be fore-warned, there will be a ton of people (tourist and resort goers) that will coming down these trails.

http://keystone.snow.com/info/biking.maps.asp

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm going on Saturday if you want a chica to do some runs with -- pm me. I'm definitely not riding uphill though. You don't go to Keystone Resort to do that. There are great trails around the area if you want to go uphill.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunMetalGirl
    I'm going on Saturday if you want a chica to do some runs with -- pm me. I'm definitely not riding uphill though. You don't go to Keystone Resort to do that. There are great trails around the area if you want to go uphill.
    This is a good point. It'll be pure hell trying to ride up Keystone proper on a 4th of July weekend... and with literally dozens of superb trails outside the resort it seems a bad idea.

Jan 2008
    Hmm, well then I'm open to suggestions. I don't ride up in the mountains often enough to know about the good places. Would someone like to make a recommendation of something that would give me good altitude training? Better yet show me the way?

Perpetually single track
    No guide service here, sorry. I'll be elsewhere...but I suggest buying the latitude 40 for Summit and hit the trails around Breck/Frisco/Keystone. There's quite a few options. Riding the peaks trail between frisco/breck would be a damn good ride.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Ride up Keystone Gulch and do West Ridge. It's marked pretty well IIRC. Or continue west on the Colorado Trail to any of a number of trails that drop of to the north and head back to Keystone.

Peaks trail is a good suggestion. That's a really fun trail.

Jan 2008
    I was eyeing the West Ridge trail earlier...thanks, I think I'll make that happen.

Oh, So Interesting!
    One warning on Keystone... due to construction there may be no way down besides a double diamond (Wild Thing or Evenflow) if you're not careful. The connector trail that goes between the top of Wild Thing and whatever blue/green trail it leads to was closed, leaving no easy option down from that point.

GMG, I'll give you call if I end up going on up on Saturday....

friend of Apex
    Another warning on the Stone, or anywhere in Summit/Vail -

Sunday traffic back to D-town will suck a$$
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Thread Terrorist
    The West Ridge Trail is a blast, BTW. You can take Granny's trail around to meet up with the Keystone Gulch Trail... or head straight over to the CT. The Latitude map will have it in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Another great option without the climb up to West Ridge is to start at the Keystone Gulch Rd trailhead up the road 1/3 mile to creek crossing (look for the small bridge upstream from the jeep crossing) to Aquaduct trail. Over to West Aquaduct to the back of the valley then West to the Soda Creek Trail. Then back to Keystone Gulch TH on the bike path or by locating the trails East of the houses back to the Aquaduct trail. LAT 40 map shows all these trails and it's pretty easy to find your way. If that's not enough mileage just go back on Soda Creek Trail and ride it the other way.

Jan 2008
    Those sound like great suggestions. I think I'll plan the trip Friday afternoon and do the ride on Saturday so I'm prepared and know where I'm going. Thanks!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken
    Another great option without the climb up to West Ridge is to start at the Keystone Gulch Rd trailhead up the road 1/3 mile to creek crossing (look for the small bridge upstream from the jeep crossing) to Aquaduct trail. Over to West Aquaduct to the back of the valley then West to the Soda Creek Trail. Then back to Keystone Gulch TH on the bike path or by locating the trails East of the houses back to the Aquaduct trail. LAT 40 map shows all these trails and it's pretty easy to find your way. If that's not enough mileage just go back on Soda Creek Trail and ride it the other way.
    mmmm - Aqueduct. Used to be my backyard, after work ride. One of my favorites.

There is not a bunch of climbing on Aqueduct, so if you want climbing, climb Keystone Gulch and Westridge to the CT and return on Aqueduct.

Another climbing option is to ride out Aqueduct and take a left at the end of the valley by the old ranch, climbing up to the Colorado Trail. Then go right on the CT and follow it a couple of drainages over (past the road in Horseshoe Gulch) to a trail that drops steeply away on the right back down to the Soda Creek trail. The you can loop back out of the valley to Keystone.

Different rides on Aqueduct:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I may head up that way on Saturday as well. I have not been there yet though so I need to pick up a map from somewhere. I don't race so maybe I should go on my own, if that gives you an idea of my skill level and pace

Seriously though, I can hold my own against non-racers and if anyone wants to meet up, PM me or post here. No need to wait as long as we all know the route. Would REI have that Lat 40 map?

...abuse these forks.
    peaks trail
    Dont pinkbike my mtbr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you saying you're planning going to Peaks trail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    One warning on Keystone... due to construction there may be no way down besides a double diamond (Wild Thing or Evenflow) if you're not careful. The connector trail that goes between the top of Wild Thing and whatever blue/green trail it leads to was closed, leaving no easy option down from that point.

GMG, I'll give you call if I end up going on up on Saturday....
    Yeah, I noticed that too... Sorta weird, it would be nice if they would open up that little section of road for bikers so people wouldn't have to take wild thing or even flow down

Members who have read this thread: 0