Buying a DH bike- Mtbr.com
    Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Buying a DH bike

How many days a year do you need to hit the lifts for buying to become a better option than renting? What are the advantages of buying vs renting?

Living the High Life
    If you're going more than 50% of the weekends the lifts are open it would be a good idea. Used ones can be a good deal if you look carefully. WP sells off their rentals this time of year for great prices. Trestle Bike Park - 2010 Kona Bike Sales

Owning your own means you can tune it how you want.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Renting a DH bike is about $100-$150 per day. Do the math. Only you can estimate your bike budget and number of riding days.

Advantages:

- Your bike is available - no reservation necessary.
    - You know your bike - don't have to get used to another sled every weekend.
    - You can take your bike to Moab, GJ, Bootleg etc for some offseason shuttle fun.

Disadvantages:

- Significant upfront investment.
    - Regular TLC, and probably repairs.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

banned
    Oct 2004
    +1 for what KK said.
    But, tinkering on bikes is also my hobby. So I buy a bike and get the endorphin on the riding and the nerdgasm on the wrenching. And, I like the fact that I know every bolt on the bike and don't have to trust someone else's space case.

eci
    Buy a DH bike. It will make you better at riding all bikes and that's priceless god damn it

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I bought a used one on CL this year, and went a lot more than I would have if I was renting. I think used is the way to go for a first DH bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Woohooo! Moderator
    It's better to buy--that way you can shuttle Apex when the lifts are closed!

Personally, I don't see the NEED for a full-on DH bike in Colorado unless you plan to race it, or have enough $$ to buy one without questioning it. I ride a freeride bike with DH wheels/tires that I can (slowly) climb on when I want to. In today's market, there are also great slopestyle bikes that pretty much have a DH geometry, but are usually built with a single crown 180mm fork, are a little lighter, and you can put front derailluers on them (or 1x10/Hammerschmidt) to help you climb.

Could I ride faster on a true DH bike? Definitely, but I ride about as fast as I want to with plenty of margin of error and clean everything at all the resorts. I just can't justify owning a $6+ bike that I would only get to ride 15-20 times a year--especially when so many of the best local "shuttles" involve healthy climbs.

Just my $.02...

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    It's better to buy--that way you can shuttle Apex when the lifts are closed!

Personally, I don't see the NEED for a full-on DH bike in Colorado unless you plan to race it, or have enough $$ to buy one without questioning it. I ride a freeride bike with DH wheels/tires that I can (slowly) climb on when I want to. In today's market, there are also great slopestyle bikes that pretty much have a DH geometry, but are usually built with a single crown 180mm fork, are a little lighter, and you can put front derailluers on them (or 1x10/Hammerschmidt) to help you climb.

Could I ride faster on a true DH bike? Definitely, but I ride about as fast as I want to with plenty of margin of error and clean everything at all the resorts. I just can't justify owning a $6+ bike that I would only get to ride 15-20 times a year--especially when so many of the best local "shuttles" involve healthy climbs.

Just my $.02...
    I'd like to know where you're finding ~$6 DH bikes? I need some chainring spacers and they're at least $6 for a set of 4, 2.2mm ones...and I'll ebay the rest of the bike

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I'd like to know where you're finding ~$6 DH bikes? I need some chainring spacers and they're at least $6 for a set of 4, 2.2mm ones...and I'll ebay the rest of the bike
    LOL! Actually, I bought some great ones for about $6 a couple of years ago at Kb Toys. I got a Turner DHR with a Boxxer, a Santa Cruz Super8 with a Boxxer and a Foes with a Judy (not sure why they went single crown on the Foes). I ride them around my desk and do sick drops off my computer when MTBR is boring...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus View Post
    Renting a DH bike is about $100-$150 per day. Do the math. Only you can estimate your bike budget and number of riding days.

Advantages:

- Your bike is available - no reservation necessary.
    - You know your bike - don't have to get used to another sled every weekend.
    - You can take your bike to Moab, GJ, Bootleg etc for some offseason shuttle fun.

Disadvantages:

- Significant upfront investment.
    - Regular TLC, and probably repairs.
    The other thing I would ad is.. if you are riding your trail bike at resorts a bunch, they just beat up quickly and you start spending a bunch of money on that too.. Thats what made me buy one, but now I spend more time on DH bike than a trail bike..

Like others have said, you don't necessarily need a full blown DH rig either.. I prefer a 7 inch travel single crown bike myself, but I don't race and prefer the jumpier/freeride side of things...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    WTF? Are DH rentals REALLY $100-$150/day??

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    WTF? Are DH rentals REALLY $100-$150/day??
    For a $5K- $7K bike, yeah. But I woulda let you used my pass to get 1/2 price on the demo...

Rigid in Evergreen
    I thought all DH bikes were rentals?

mtbr member
    You can get a GREAT used bike for abt $1800 especially w/ the current economic conditions.. lots of deals on Demo 8s, etc. Assuming you've already demoed a bunch of bikes, you'll have to decide on resort/DH specific (like a V10, Glory, etc), or a more versatile freeride bike like an SX Trail, Scratch, etc.

mtbr member
    buying a dh bike will never be cost effective. The rate at which parts alone get destroyed in a single season will easily offset the $100 per time rental price. With that said owning your own bike is really the only option. It setup for you, you get to love and baby it, you can ride it off season, and most importantly you can park it in your living room and stare at it instead of watching tv. All of the above make ownership priceless. I know a ton of guys who dh and i have never one time heard of someone upset about making the jump to purchase a dh rig, only upgradeitis...beware this is a huge problem. I'm not even an upgrade person, my truck has 200k miles my couches are 15 years old, but i cant seem to go a week without buying some damn thing for my demo 8. Pull the trigger if you can, if you buy used worse case you sell it for a minor loss next year when you buy new
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jurichar View Post
    buying a dh bike will never be cost effective. The rate at which parts alone get destroyed in a single season will easily offset the $100 per time rental price. With that said owning your own bike is really the only option. It setup for you, you get to love and baby it, you can ride it off season, and most importantly you can park it in your living room and stare at it instead of watching tv. All of the above make ownership priceless. I know a ton of guys who dh and i have never one time heard of someone upset about making the jump to purchase a dh rig, only upgradeitis...beware this is a huge problem. I'm not even an upgrade person, my truck has 200k miles my couches are 15 years old, but i cant seem to go a week without buying some damn thing for my demo 8. Pull the trigger if you can, if you buy used worse case you sell it for a minor loss next year when you buy new
    Well Said!!

but on the other hand, I have been riding a stock Demo 7 for 3 years and just replace what I have to.. then again, I am poor..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Got a Scott Voltage FR10 for sale. Raw alum frame, boxxer race fork, fox dhx rc2 rear shock. This bike is awesome. Just bought a Glory so it's gotta go. I just tore it down and lubed up all the pivots etc. 2000.00 for you!!! Like to jump? This bike will make you feel like a rock star!
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!!!

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    I thought all DH bikes were rentals?
    I like your style.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Thread Terrorist
    I wouldn't question buying a new bike. Just do it. DH is fun.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jurichar View Post
    With that said owning your own bike is really the only option. It setup for you, you get to love and baby it, you can ride it off season, and most importantly you can park it in your living room and stare at it instead of watching tv.
    Haha! I love this!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    I wouldn't question buying a new bike. Just do it. DH is fun.
    +1