Lust for Life

Boulder to Telluride drive route

Heading to telluride for the weekend from the boulder area & hoping someone has insight as to the differences in the travel options. Wondering if it is faster to take 70 to grand junction & then head down 50 or if the 285 to 50 option is similar/better timewise. We are planning the more scenic drive for the way home but would like to get down/over there ASAP. Thanks for any insights.

mtbr member
    I have always taken the I-70 to GJ route and south on 50. It is a little over 5 hours from Silverthorne so add another hour and half from Boulder.
    Not sure about time/distance the other way.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine
    Heading to telluride for the weekend from the boulder area & hoping someone has insight as to the differences in the travel options. Wondering if it is faster to take 70 to grand junction & then head down 50 or if the 285 to 50 option is similar/better timewise. We are planning the more scenic drive for the way home but would like to get down/over there ASAP. Thanks for any insights.
    I went in April and ended up going the 285 route. I can't really comment on the I-70 way since I haven't ever done that route.

Pure speculation would be that I-70 is probably faster (higher speeds and less stops through small towns) but also probably longer.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    To TRide, I-70 to Clifton and down is *definitely* the fastest way. If going to the other side of the San Juans, eg Durango, 285 to 160 is the way to go.

Lust for Life

Thanks

Thank you all for the info. I ended up going west on I-70 to Glenwood Springs before heading south through Carbondale, Delta & Montrose to catch the final stretch of 62 to Telluride. It took 7 Hrs from Lyons so i think that may be the preferred route. That place is fantastic!

Thanks Again!

Members who have read this thread: 0