Boulder police to increase enforcement of new crosswalk ordinances, including bicycle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Boulder police to increase enforcement of new crosswalk ordinances, including bicycle

My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

Rolling
    I wonder how they plan on measuring the speed of the cyclists? Speed guns? Stop watches?

WWJR
    I thought "Boulder-ites" walk/ride where they want, when they want.?.? I mean, total disregard for any/all vehicles is a given in Boulder...
    Maybe it should be the other way around...?
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    Don't the police in Boulder have better things to do ?
    I have no idea what better stuff they could be doing, but I do know that things like crosswalks get ignored by cars unless there is periodic enforcement. Why do cars in Seattle and Berkeley, for ex, stop for pedestrians entering a crosswalk when cars in other jurisdictions do not? It's not because those people are more enlightened, that's for sure.

I walk and ride around Boulder a lot, and I for one would appreciate a little more enforcement from the police. That said, two days ago I was waiting at a crosswalk (having pushed the flashing light button, but waiting for cars to stop) and a cop blew through the crosswalk.

slow
    Does the 8mph rule apply to bikes using the cross-walk to cross a street like a pedestrian, or crossing over the crosswalk while moving down the street like a car?
    If the bike riding down the street perpendicular to the crosswalk blows through the crosswalk at 15 mph while a car is stopped at the crosswalk, does the cyclist get two violations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm 100% for more police enforcement on bicyclists doing stupid things...just as I'm for more enforcement for vehicle drivers doing stupid things.

I bike commute every day, and I get cut off by other bicyclists all the time, I almost get hit in crosswalks by them, and I have a few acquaintances that have recently hit bicyclists because of them running red lights (yes...these cases, it was the bicyclist's fault). Yet these cyclists feel like they are immune from the laws of the road. I have more bad run-ins with bikes than I do with cars.

So no...cops don't have anything better to do...they also don't have anything worse to do. They are just doing.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Personally, I think if pedestrians or cyclists or skateboarders are not using the crosswalks the way they are supposed to be used and creating an unsafe or nuisance situation for them or drivers, there should be an effort to get the situation under control. The same goes for cars, if cars are not respecting the crosswalks and endangering other people, there needs to be an effort to get that under control.

Of course you can almost always depend on the same person(s) who says things like "don't the cops have better things to do?" to be the same people who complain loudly of those pesky pedestrians slowing them down in their automobiles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Pretty sure it's already a law that cyclists have to walk their bikes across the street if they use one of those dumb a$# crosswalks instead of using all of the bike friendly routes available.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I thought it was Uncle Trail's job to post stuff like this?

Your bike is incorrigible
    Those blinky crosswalks are lame. They are going to get someone killed. Oh wait! They already have!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Pretty sure it's already a law that cyclists have to walk their bikes across the street if they use one of those dumb a$# crosswalks instead of using all of the bike friendly routes available.

Not in Boulder. Many of the crosswalks are part of the bike path system.

Here are the rules.

Colorado Code Publishing Company - Boulder Revised Code - Chapter 7-5

Most interesting is that some fixies might be considered illegal because many of them technically don't have a brake, which is required.

Also, based on the rules, I think a runner can legally exceed 8 mph in a crosswalk.
    Last edited by lidarman; 09-20-2012 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    Not in Boulder. Many of the crosswalks are part of the bike path system.

Here are the rules.

Colorado Code Publishing Company - Boulder Revised Code - Chapter 7-5

Most interesting is that some fixies might be considered illegal because many of them technically don't have a brake, which is required.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    hipsters are illegal, that's awesome.

mtbr member
    I hate driving in Boulder. It's worse than a metro city like Atlanta. In Boulder, you have aggressive drivers (or maybe just bad drivers), aggressive cyclists, and entitled pedestrians. I dread the day I hit someone.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post
    I hate driving in Boulder. It's worse than a metro city like Atlanta. In Boulder, you have aggressive drivers (or maybe just bad drivers), aggressive cyclists, and entitled pedestrians. I dread the day I hit someone.
    well, you certainly should dread the day you hit someone as that would be bad, mkay.

But the hyperbole of Boulder being this crazy difficult place to drive in is silly. Those crazy entitled pedestrians, expecting to cross the street at crosswalks when they have the legal right to, the nerve! And aggressive cyclists, expecting to bike in their bike lanes, oh the horror!

I drive to downtown Boulder every day I'm not on my bike, and if you hate driving here and find it worse than a metro city (haven't driven in Atlanta, specifically), then you're doing something wrong or need an attitude adjustment.

Rolling
    I broke Boulder's law around five times today I guess.....when I took my hands off the bars to sip my wonderful coffee on the way to work!

mtbr member
    Entitled pedestrian to me is the one that assumes all cars will stop for them. That's just dumb, because you are going to lose that battle. I guess I mainly see them in parking lots, or on Pearl Street.

Aggressive cyclists blowing stop lights, maybe aggressive was the wrong word.

But put all of these things together - more traffic of auto, people, bicycles - and it is a lot for any driver to be aware of. Now add the ones out of cars (or in cars) assuming the other vehicle or pedestrian sees them, and attempts to squeak through, I am just surprised I don't see more accidents.

So I am all for enforcement of making sure people are taking less risks, and being more aware of the situations they are placing themselves into. Is it fun to speed through a crosswalk on a bike, or blow through a red light? Sure it's fun. Is it smart? No.

No attitude adjustment required here, whether it sounds like it or not I am trying to look out for my fellow pedestrians and cyclists.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    not sure that there is a is about that...I'd say you are ok riding no handed

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post
    Is it fun to speed through a crosswalk on a bike, or blow through a red light? Sure it's fun.
    If you think that's fun, you oughta check out one of them mountain bikes. Riding on dirt is way more fun than on the road.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    After reading the new crosswalk laws, it's obvious they will improve cyclists' safety. The main improvement being the requirement that ALL lanes of traffic yield, in the event that one lane has stopped.

As a driver I'm not psyched, because often cars stop for no reason, just because the blinking lights are going. I trust myself not to hit people in the crosswalk, blinky lights or not.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is men not paying attention to the road but the Coeds. You gotta admit, there's some serious talent in Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is men not paying attention to the road but the Coeds. You gotta admit, there's some serious talent in Boulder.
    So you're saying don't use the blinky lights, just position a hot CU girl at the crosswalk and all the dudes will stop? I agree. That's definitely a better alternative.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by unc-76 View Post
    not sure that there is a [Law?] is about that...I'd say you are ok riding no handed
    The law states that at least one hand must be on the handle bar at all times!

I guess that also means unicycles are illegal, I tell ya! But wait, they are not bicycles...I guess they are under the circus rules...which in Boulder, I'm sure you have to have a permit to be a street act!

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder City Law
    7-5-3 Carrying Articles.Go to the top

Every person driving a bicycle or electric assisted bicycle shall keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times and shall not carry any package, bundle, or article that obstructs the driver's vision or prevents the use of both hands in the control and operation of the bicycle.
    I personally find it hard to sip a good hot coffee while hunched over holding the bar. The proper coffee enjoyment is best had while upright and allowing the sip to flow with gravity.... and at the same time, a nice breath of fresh car exhaust can be savored.

Jeeze, what kind of rule is this anyway. I'm sipping my coffee and look next to me as I'm about to get run over by a hot college chick in a huge SUV, drinking her coffee while texting....but at least she was hot! :P These modern college students must have evolved with extra arms for the stuff they are doing while driving!
    Last edited by lidarman; 09-21-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Stand back
    Simple solution, maybe what Boulder is going for: sidewalks are just for walking. Which would mean they want bikes in the street with the cars.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Simple solution, maybe what Boulder is going for: sidewalks are just for walking. Which would mean they want bikes in the street with the cars.
    As funny as that is, they have a definite mix ruling. And it's strongly pro-bike.

They do work hard having bike lanes on the streets, but they also work hard putting 15 foot wide paths where sidewalks were. And near CU, there is that three lane path from baseline to Arapahoe; bike north lane, bike south lane and ped lane, which crosses streets several times. During peak class hours, this is pure chaos. I'm sure the advanced math class is out studying it.

It's like the keg finally arrived late into a raging party.

As funny as that is, they have a definite mix ruling. And it's strongly pro-bike.
    What everyone is forgetting is that the roots of the Boulder bike scene extend way back before the population exploded. The problem is simply a matter of too many people wanting to use whatever path, road, lane, etc that was designed for use by half the number of inhabitants. And I really don't see a good solution. There is, on the one hand, the draconian solution of severely limiting the number of people who live and work in town (think of all the homes encroaching on green space; it's already a problem they are battling). On the other hand, there is the uber expensive solution of remodeling the infrastructure. Boulder took the middle road and handed the job over to the cops. The trouble is that this cannot be a long term solution unless they plan on hiring a dozen cops every year.

Goofing off?
    Yeah, I'd *almost* rather view Biker Fox then these guys

Members who have read this thread: 0