Rolling

Boulder Bike Shop Report.

I realized I trashed my drivetrain when I was negligent in replacing the chain. Yesterday i started slipping gears. Measured the chain and realized I needed to replace the drivetrain.

Desperate to ride that particular bike this weekend, I decided I would shop at performance since they have a Forte Saddle that I really like and they usually have shorts on sale.

It was crowded. I didn't know it was their 25th anniversary sale and between 9 and noon, buyers club members get an extra 25% certificate on purchases.

Anyhow, I collected my parts, didn't buy the shorts because I didn't see them on sale and like I said, didn't know about the special.

I actually enjoyed waiting in line. Talked to Steve the bike shop manager about doing white rim in a day strategy. Talked to Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance's MTBMIKE.

So I get home and find the middle chainring I got which was XT is not compatible with Race Face x-cranks (take note race face owners...they are compatible the other way though). The bolt holes line up but there is extra material that causes interference. So I put it aside from my wife's xt cranks.

Reluctantly, I head back into the horrible crowd that Boulder has this weekend, but think performance will be busy and decide Excel sports might be the ticket. No dice. In fact the guy at the counter didn't even want to touch my chainring and look for one. But he was nice enough to say "see Sports Garage."

So I went to Sports Garage. Not busy and got the exact same part I needed. However, I paid a boatload...

But I'm smiling because I have a new drivetrain.

The conclusion of my report is:
    • Excel, today and for the past few years, just wastes my time as a mountain biker.
    • Performance is busy, and the wal-mart of bikes, but when you time it right and know what you want, you can get good deals.
    • Sports Garage is like McGuckins, you get good service and nice atmosphere but it dents the pocketbook.
    BTW, tomorrow from 9 till noon they are doing the 25% thing again at performance. If you spend $100, you break even on your membership. I never usually go there, so I never sign up, but it worked for me today by surprise. Tomorrow I'm going to get another saddle and those shorts I was eyeballing--maybe even a new helmet.

(The 25% thing is not 25% off, it's certificates,...just in case you didnt know.)
    Last edited by lidarman; 06-16-2007 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree and would add:

Performance gets a lot of criticism but Boulder's Performance is like an LBS. Steve is awesome, the other staff are nice, and Performance does support local Boulder Causes.

**U bikes is great for a needed repair that day while you wait. I bought some road wheels there that I needed right away, they mounted the tires & tubes, lined up the brakes, RD & cassette, practically a tune up for the price of the wheels.

**Full cycle is similar but also has a short turn around time for repairs too.

I'm not very mechanically inclined so both shops do well on repairs. But the parts are spendy. Never had anything done at Sports Garage, I looked at a Blur and RX there but they never had both in at the same time to compare.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    • Excel, today and for the past few years, just wastes my time as a mountain biker.
    The exact same impression I got the one and only time I went in there. The guy at the counter seemed genuinely perturbed to have to stoop to looking for a part for a (gasp!) mountain bike.

feel the Force
    Some of the staff at Sports Garage are knowledgeable, but the owners' a total J@ck@ss! They won't get any of my biz just based on that!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Try The Fix. They will lower their price if its way higher than other places, even net retailers... but you have to ask.

They also have a good selection of armor, ff helmets and other dh gear. Only place in town to find some of that stuff...

starladear
    Blue Sky in Longmont is thee best. Located at Airport and Nelson They are quite adept with these finicky high end machines. Staff and owners are great.

trail waggler

Nice shop, but...

Quote Originally Posted by starladear
    Blue Sky in Longmont is thee best. Located at Airport and Nelson They are quite adept with these finicky high end machines. Staff and owners are great.
    Full retail, just like the Sports Garage.

Excel is a 'Roadie' shop, but there is still good stuff there, Park tools, and I got my Hayes there about 6 years ago, King hub about 5 years ago, and Wade is a nice guy, just alittle 'different'.

Also, Alex that owns the Fix, used to work there.
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    Some of the staff at Sports Garage are knowledgeable, but the owners' a total J@ck@ss! They won't get any of my biz just based on that!
    Which of the 2 owners are you refering to? What did he do to make you say he's a Jacka$$? Throwing a comment like that out there seems a bit immature. How about backing it up.

I've spent a lot of time and $$$ there and have yet to have a bad experience.

Yes SG is a little expensive but you get what you pay for and they always take care of their regulars.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by starladear

Second Blue Sky, and agree about exel. They seem to have become anti mountainbike in recent years, I don't go there anymore.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree with some of the observations but have to say that I personally usually have great experiences at Excel. Wade is leaving soon which is great for him but that leaves a void and some big shoes that need to be filled there.
    I take my road bike there and purchase some of my mtn parts there. Excel has built several sets of wheels for me over time and I have been very happy with all of them.
    Shops tend to lean in a certain direction to help them differentiate so I think one must take that into consideration when choosing one for a specific need.

SG seems expensive and I never really go in there but they seem to have a friendly staff and I like their demo weekend they put on. Full Cycle is great for my mtn bike work if its something that I can not do myself.Performance for tubes, tools, and small/simple parts. Ubikes for some things as well. Online shopping when price plays a roll.
    After almost 10 yrs here, I have learned to use different shops for different bicycle needs. We are lucky to have such a huge selection of shops in town, if you don't like the service you received in one, try another.

mtbr member
    I agree with some of the comments here my experience/ 2cents
    I think Sports Garage is pricey, but i think they do have the best mechanic in Boulder. They also are very knowledgeable and pretty patience they literally answered ALL my questions on my new bike. A friend of mine says "They got all the cool s&%T at Sports Garage.

I also like Ubikes and have had good luck getting stuff fixed there if I was going to buy a Specialized I would have bought from them. I recently went into the Fix I was real impressed with them.
    Lastly, I think if I lived closer to Lyons Redstone would be my place. Dave seems cool and also knows his stuff real well. Those are my favorite places to go in town and out.It is hard in Boulder cause there are so many options.
    I never had good luck at Excel they are kind of snobby Pro Peleton is the worst shop i have ever been to, I know they are basically a roadie shop they will not even talk to you. I live around the corner from them and never go in there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Performance is decent if you know what you need and want to save some cash. The staff is friendly and some are quite knowledgable.

Excel is hit or miss and their prices aren't that great. I used them for wheelbuilding supplies but they no longer sell individual spokes, just packets of twenty, so I have no need for them.

Sports Garage is overpriced and annoying. My limited experience indicates that they take advantage of wealthy ignorant Boulderites, especially women, who are looking for the latest and greatest. I took a friend to their shop to purchase a Santa Cruz Juliana frame, they are the local dealer, and had a real bad experience with them.. She needed a medium, roughly the same size as a small Superlight, and they told us that they had a bike built up that she could test ride. We cut out of work early and went to the shop only to find that they didn't have a Juliana or Superlight instock. They had a medium Blur XC with a short stem and seat jammed all the way forward which the employee, to call him a salesman would be stretching it, claimed would fit. She test rode it and being all of 5'3 found it way oversize. The employee proceeded to tell us that the fit was fine and lectured us on how she should purchase it and have it built up by their expert mechanics with new components ignoring the fact that she had told him earlier that she already had a complete XT/XTR build kit at home. She took her business elsewhere. I also had to overhaul a mountain bike which had been purchased after the owner had gone to them for a custom fit session. The bike was a men's medium and the owner was a 5'5 women with normal build. The bike had the same short stem, forward seat position, which they had pushed on my friend.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by killerpanda
    A friend of mine says "They got all the cool s&%T at Sports Garage.

You should check out Larry's shop, Mt. High Cyclery in Loveland... more bling under one roof than I've seen anywhere.

I buy most things from Redstone, I'm going through Lyons often enough on the way to ride that its convienient, and Dave's prices are good.

...and the fix, they have dh gear in stock and a great selection of armor so you can try it on before you buy it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Please-specific directions to Larry's shop

Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    You should check out Larry's shop, Mt. High Cyclery in Loveland... more bling under one roof than I've seen anywhere.

I buy most things from Redstone, I'm going through Lyons often enough on the way to ride that its convienient, and Dave's prices are good.

...and the fix, they have dh gear in stock and a great selection of armor so you can try it on before you buy it.
    I tried to sort of stumble across it on 34 the last time I was up there but never saw it. Close to the middle of town, way out of town, hidden in a shopping center????

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I tried to sort of stumble across it on 34 the last time I was up there but never saw it. Close to the middle of town, way out of town, hidden in a shopping center????
    Just West of Loveland proper on 34. When the road goes from 4 lanes (2 east, 2 west) to 2 you are almost there. It sits just about 1/4 mile SW from the Devil's Backbone trailhead. It sits in a small shopping center just North of 34 in the east end of a little strip mall type building.

I believe its Glade Rd that you turn into it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Info on a Juliana

Quote Originally Posted by 12wheels
    Performance is decent if you know what you need and want to save some cash. The staff is friendly and some are quite knowledgable.

Excel is hit or miss and their prices aren't that great. I used them for wheelbuilding supplies but they no longer sell individual spokes, just packets of twenty, so I have no need for them.

Sports Garage is overpriced and annoying. My limited experience indicates that they take advantage of wealthy ignorant Boulderites, especially women, who are looking for the latest and greatest. I took a friend to their shop to purchase a Santa Cruz Juliana frame, they are the local dealer, and had a real bad experience with them.. She needed a medium, roughly the same size as a small Superlight, and they told us that they had a bike built up that she could test ride. We cut out of work early and went to the shop only to find that they didn't have a Juliana or Superlight instock. They had a medium Blur XC with a short stem and seat jammed all the way forward which the employee, to call him a salesman would be stretching it, claimed would fit. She test rode it and being all of 5'3 found it way oversize. The employee proceeded to tell us that the fit was fine and lectured us on how she should purchase it and have it built up by their expert mechanics with new components ignoring the fact that she had told him earlier that she already had a complete XT/XTR build kit at home. She took her business elsewhere. I also had to overhaul a mountain bike which had been purchased after the owner had gone to them for a custom fit session. The bike was a men's medium and the owner was a 5'5 women with normal build. The bike had the same short stem, forward seat position, which they had pushed on my friend.

A Juliana's medium and small are the same as a men's medium and small Superlight. Juliana's claim to fame is it also comes in an extra small size.

Rolling
    Do you know where Devil's backbone is?

Well on Eisenhower, as you go west to Devils backbone, pass it, then over the hill, there is a gas station on the right with a set of buildings to the east. He is at the end of that set.

I get most of my stuff from Larry, but that is when I don't need it for a few days. I wanted my parts yesterday so I could ride today. And I wasn't excited about driving to Loveland yesterday. Larry is my LBS (local bike shop) and Dave Chase might be too if it was easier.

One thing I like about Performance is clothes. So today I went back and gots some clothes on sale and with 25% coming back. So guess what they will be sending me a bunch of certificates so I will be going back again to get some more clothes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

One more question:

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Just West of Loveland proper on 34. When the road goes from 4 lanes (2 east, 2 west) to 2 you are almost there. It sits just about 1/4 mile SW from the Devil's Backbone trailhead. It sits in a small shopping center just North of 34 in the east end of a little strip mall type building.

I believe its Glade Rd that you turn into it.
    I go past the DB turnoff (heading west away from Loveland) 1/4 mile? And it's not actually facing 34 but to the north of 34 maybe a block? I didn't really notice number of lanes last time I was there (went to PUSH for a looksee) and finally went to ride Devil's Backbone. Shoulda kept heading west from DB, yeah?

No wonder I've never found it. Always thought it was nearer to Loveland. Or is that still considered Loveland? I guess that's four questions

Oh, So Interesting!
    I go past the DB turnoff (heading west away from Loveland) 1/4 mile? And it's not actually facing 34 but to the north of 34 maybe a block? I didn't really notice number of lanes last time I was there (went to PUSH for a looksee) and finally went to ride Devil's Backbone. Shoulda kept heading west from DB, yeah?

No wonder I've never found it. Always thought it was nearer to Loveland. Or is that still considered Loveland? I guess that's four questions
    http://maps.citysearch.com/map/view/37383180

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks

Now I also know that Eisenhower is 34. Don't get up there that often.

Thread Terrorist
    I'm bummed to hear that Excel is making you buy packs of 20 (spokes). Is this for reals?

I have several bikes shops that I use for specific things. Since Excel was a catalog company, tools and wheel building stuff was what I get there. I have no use for Perfomance other than the accerade or other chewables that come on sale. Most of the stuff I'm looking for is pretty specific, away from the mainstream bike component.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That's not correct for the older frames. A medium pre-2007 Juliana had a shorter top tube, 21.5in, and was similiar to a small Superlight but had more standover. Santa Cruz changed the geometries in 2007.

You can find the old geometry chart at this link:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...liana+geometry

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That's what the guy behind the counter told me. I was building a 32 spoke rear wheel and wanted 34 spokes, 1 extra of each length, and was told that the new policy was 20 spoke packets only. I mentioned that they were priced individually in the catalogue and he told me that the pricing was for wheels built inhouse. I build 5-10 sets of wheels annually for friends and have been buying from them for years so I was surprised. Maybe the guy was lazy or they didn't have them instock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I see what you mean

That's not correct for the older frames. A medium pre-2007 Juliana had a shorter top tube, 21.5in, and was similiar to a small Superlight but had more standover. Santa Cruz changed the geometries in 2007.

You can find the old geometry chart at this link:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...liana+geometry
    I'd only checked out the '07s. I wonder if the subtle differences they dialed in with earlier models turned out to be seemingly overthinking/overdesigning on their part or the new similarities between the men's and women's sizes are strictly an economy move.

mtbr member
    Have to agree with the original poster.

One thing about Excel is they aren't bad if you know exactly what you want. My policy for Excel is walk in recite exact part from online store wait for them to go in back and bring it up, pay, leave. I have had a few good experiences with their staff but for the most part I stick with to that formula.
    Feels like an Arby's night.

gravity curmudgeon
    Interesting how times change. Sports Garage used to be primarily a place to rent a bench/tools to work on one's bike (or skis). They had very minimal product to sell. In contrast, Excel Sports was a go-to place for parts, although they have always had a roadie bias. The Spoke (yep, there was one in Boulder) and then University Bikes were the best shops for service.

In recent years I have visited many Boulder shops during annual visits. I have had very positive experiences at Sports Garage, The Fix, Boulder Cycle Sport, and Redstone Cyclery. I have ordered lots of stuff from Larry over the years but never visited his actual shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice to hear about the Boulder shops. Thanks to Lidarman for the update/info.

I've purchased from SG once (old rigid mtb fork + headset + installation = $50), and they were very friendly and helpful. I plan on buying a FS bike from them when I get the $$. I shop Performance for the prices, and walk in knowing exactly what I'm looking for. I haven't made many purchases in Boulder shops, but have asked a number of questions and gotten some great advice from U-bikes and Full Cycle, so I only have good to say about them. Vecchios is the best roadie shop IMHO, and as others have said I'm not fond of Pro Peloton just due to some convos with them. I've never tried to find Excel, so I still have no idea where it is located (nor do I care for the most part )

I live in Longmont, and have always shopped at ACME first. If Pete doesn't have something and I can't wait for the order, I'll try other places in town. I've had generally great experiences with Blue Sky, and they're a great bunch, but I've gotten some "less than good" advice about tires/tubes, so I'm a bit iffy now, but still recommend them.

Redstone Cyclery in Lyons would be my local shop if I still lived there, and I've hung out with Dave quite a few times. He's an awesome dude, and if I had mega $$ to spend, he'd get a lot of them! He gives great advice, has excellent prices, and is more than willing to take the time to chat/educate anyone that comes in his shop. He's a great wrench and is very quick. I'd say he's one of the 3 people I'd trust to work on my bike, period.

Shuttin' up now.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddy
    Have to agree with the original poster.

One thing about Excel is they aren't bad if you know exactly what you want. My policy for Excel is walk in recite exact part from online store wait for them to go in back and bring it up, pay, leave. I have had a few good experiences with their staff but for the most part I stick with to that formula.
    This is the same method I employ with Excel. Saves a lot of aggravation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I love Sports Garage. It can be pricey though. I bought a frame and fork from the internet, then had them build it up. It turned out great, although I went somewhat over-budget. They have helped me out in the long run, and I find that if you go in and even just check stuff out and bullsh*t with them, they will look at you as a loyal customer and at least treat you like a friend when you're there. Very knowledgeable and like another poster said "They got all the cool sh*t at sports garage". Please note that I am not in any way affiliated with SG.
    Let The Good Times Roll

Your bike is incorrigible
    Boulder's Performance is ok, but stay away from all others. I went to one down here in Denver to get a spoke. Took the wheel in so the mechanic could measure it. He hands me a spoke that seems too short, but I figured "what the hell, he measured it". At the counter I told the cashier my concern, and he informed me that "All 26" mountain bike wheels use the same length spokes". All I could do was laugh in his face. Anyway, the spoke was indeed too short.

mtbr member
    Try Boulder Cycle Sport. The manager, Brandon Dwight, used to work at IMBA, races pro, knows his stuff and is a cool dude. The have a mechanic who grinded me a sweet outside chainring so I could run my bike as a 1x8. To me, that's the best shop in town. Plus, he's the guy who started the "Doper's Suck" movement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Boulder cycle sport is good too, I have been there several times. Bought a monocog 29er there, the 29 inch wasnt my thing, but it was a good price and a good experience. Also, Id like to say that Redstone Cyclery in Lyons is cool too. The owner is nice guy, Ive met him out on the trail several times, friendly and helpful. Inventory is a little short though if youve been there you know what i mean (please note the sarcasm)
    Let The Good Times Roll

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Mountain high in loveland!

I live in FTC, and am no too psyched on the shops up here, until I found out about Larry at MTN high-he is a great guy, check out his shop. Also, I have had good experiences with Blue Sky in Longmont. The prices might be closer to retail, but the take service to the next level, they are all riders and know there stuff, if only I lived closer

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you have a big bike, I think the Fix is the place to go in Boulder. They have really impressed me with their customer service: fix while you wait, show you how to do a repair yourself, getting a part from another shop so they don't have to order it, etc. My bike feels much different after they work on it then anywhere else I've gone. They know how to dial it in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fix location??

Where is the Fix?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Where is the Fix?
    I think it's over by the steel yards...off 30th...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yep. Over on 30th and Bluff (just south of Valmont). They have dirt jumps and a pump track that's open for anyone to use too (I think you have to sign a waiver).

Stiff yet compliant
    Sports Garage is overpriced and annoying. My limited experience indicates that they take advantage of wealthy ignorant Boulderites,
    Sounds strangely consistent with my experience. I've gone in for parts a few times but I went in once when I was looking for a new bike.
    The salesman asked if he could help me and I told him I was looking at full suspension bikes. He immediately took me over to a $6,000+ bike and started showing it to me.
    He didn't even ask what my price range was or what type of riding I did. He just tried to sell me what was likely the most expensive bike in the shop at the time.
    I'm not even a wealthy Boulderite, I'm a middle class Lafayetteite.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    The Fix is just a great shop.

I recently upgraded the front fork on my big bike and Alex was awesome to talk to about options between models and the install was free - the price was the same or cheaper than on the web. They are also awesome for all mountain as well.

Great guys, great service, good prices.

Thread Terrorist
    One thing I've learned from this post... Boulder bike shops are expensive... however, their rent isn't cheap either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Interesting to hear the perspectives...

I work at Ubikes, so maybe I'm a little biased, but I've also been happy with them as a customer. I think the biggest thing is to make a relationship with the shop (any shop) and you'll get to know the pros and cons of it and how to work around them. From an employee perspective, we work really hard, but also are pretty well taken care of (pay + shop support, having enough people to work, etc).

That said, I share a lot of the same opinions. I found Excel somewhat underwhelming, as well as being not easy to deal with (even with catalog numbers). I felt sports garage lacked significantly in the customer service, especially for what they were charging.

Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I have a severe distaste for Performance. I bought a bike from them this year, and the bottom bracket needed tightening (BMX style). That's basic stuff, and not something you should expect customers to do themselves. Also, when I went in later to get a seatpost swapped, I had to level out the seat on the post. Granted, this was a weird post of less-than-stellar design, and "leveling" it involved a hammer and swearing, but the sum impression I got was that they didn't care enough to make it right.

mtbr member

interesting thread

really?!
    i've never been there, but i was always under the impression that he operated much like dave/redstone, i.e. small shop w/ little inventory but able to get anything you need at a good price.

i'll have to check it out; i like to window shop.

i think the comment about developing relationships is spot on-- i'm sure you could find a loyal customer for every shop mentioned here that thinks that shop is the best. and of course you have the variable of which employee you're dealing w/ and whether or not he/she has had their coffee yet or got enough sleep the night before.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Lust for Life
    I hesitated to post since I live in Lyons & am admittedly biased myself...but Dave @ Redstone is as knowledgeable as they come. He'll make sure you get dialed with right stuff for your riding style.. As far as I've seen & heard his pricing is right as well. Stop in & chew the fat, my guess is that you'll agree. Everyone's got their favorites, I got mine. cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

U bikes

Squatch, U bikes has done a great job for years on all my bikes, and I have spent some serious dough there just in the last month. Repairs, gloves, wheels (i won't say..they are super nice & you guys swapped everything out ASAP, etc). I got my kid's 24 " bike there too. Thanks.

J\V
    mtbr member
    I'm partial to University bikes; their prices are no higher than anyone else's, and they have fantastic service. It's the only shop I've been able to walk into and consistently get service right then and there. The best part is their selection of bikes, they have so many in there, it's hard to believe.

And the bonus? Some of the best pizza around is just a few doors down...
    '12 Santa Cruz Tallboy C w/2015 Crossmax SLs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Zipp 404s

mtbr member
    I particularly like the Fix in Boulder. I went there to see if they could repair a wheel an hour later they called and said it was beyond repair (I kinda figured that) I picked a hoop over the phone, they called back two hours later and said my wheel was ready. Now thats service
    I have found that the people that work at Performance know almost nothing about bikes and almost never have what I am looking for
    I only go to Excel for tools. I went in the other day to get a freewheel removal tool and when they saw what I was riding (SS mountain bike) there seemed to be an icy chill in the room.
    I bought a Rockhopper for my wife from Bicycle Village and it was possibly the worst assembly that I have seen.

mtbr member
    I think they big thing is Performance is a place where a kid can get a job and learn to work on bikes and such, thier business model volume, step it down a little to UBikes, staff rocks super knowledageable, sitll a large place. Then smaller still is SG, they want to be boutique place for lack of a better word. Like I said in a past post, I think best mechnics in Boulder. I havent been to the Fix much but they seem pretty cool. Then look at Redstone ultimite in the small shop with great service.

In my mind Ubikes, SG, and Redstone could be 3 of the best shops I have ever been too. It is a blessing a a curse living in Boulder we have so many excellent choices.

Again Excel and Preformace are more volume based places.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i go to u bikes or excel. ubikes tends to get crowded on weekends but they are helpful. excel usually has a line of people, but they have it in stock and are cheaper than most places. i picked up 2 spokes a couple weeks ago for my wifes commuter bike and i didn't have to buy a 20 pack. the best maintainence in town would probably be sports garage or u bikes. both have been about the same price and both have quick turn arounds.
    Last edited by vitabello1; 07-03-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Just go ride!

A year and a half ago...

When my GF-292 frame broke for the second time (I bought that bike from Full Cycle on the Hill - nothing but praise for them and their great customer service!), I started looking at Ti 29ers, and I had basically decided to get either a Titus Racer X, or a Moots YBB. The guy I talked to at SG for pricing out a Racer-X 29er was ridiculously condescending about the fact that I wanted a 29er and I was only 5'11", 170lbs. I hadn't told him that I had already been riding one for over a year and friggin' loved it. He would drop lines nonchalantly about how 29ers were "sluggish" and had "poor handling", etc. Finally, I asked him (nonchalantly as well) if he had ever ridden one. And, sure enough, "nope"!! WTF? I lost a lot of respect for SG from that, and I haven't been back since.

My favorite LBS nowadays is Performance Boulder, U-bikes and Vecchio's. Why? In a nutshell, because you don't have to shave your legs to get some respect from the employees.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

Members who have read this thread: 0